crucial.com RAM- any good?

DuelLadyS

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
My fiance's looking to upgrade the RAM in his old Sony Vaio. He'd prefer not to shell out for someone else to do the install, although he's never done any sort of computer self-maintenance like this before. He found the Lexar/Crucial website the other day, which guaranteed system compatibility. Does anyone know if this site's any good? Is he better off figuring out his system's excact RAM specs and buying something in person at Fry's? Should he even be trying to do this himself? If anyone has any insight, I'd appreciate it.

I've bought from Crucial in the past. It's expensive, but it's good. Their system analysis tool is very good, too. It will tell you exactly what RAM is compatible with your system.

I've installed RAM a few times in desktops. It's not difficult. I haven't worked much with laptops, but if the RAM is directly under a compartment, it should be easy, too.

Just make sure you've got antistatic equipment. Either that or set aside a screwdriver or some other piece of metal that you aren't going to use for any other purpose than periodically touching every minute or so in order to make sure your body is discharged of static electricity. You don't want to shock your PC components.

RAM upgrades on laptops are super easy. There should be a couple panels on the bottom of the laptop that will require a small screwdriver. One will be for the hard drive, one for the RAM and maybe another for wireless card. Before doing anything, turn off the laptop. Check each panel until you find the one with RAM. The ram should come out pretty easy by, just unclasp it and it'll pop right out.

When you put the new RAM in, make sure it snaps all the way in. Just put it in the like the RAM that you pulled out.

Also, once you get the type/speed from crucial, i.e. DDR/DDR2/DDR3 and 333mhz/800mhz etc, just look for the same RAM on a site like Newegg.com, tigerdirect.com, or amazon. It'll probably be cheaper than ordering from Crucial directly.

RAM is one of the easiest things to shop for. Just figure out what you kind you need and go shop at Newegg. Crucial is a great brand but their online store is pricey compared to Newegg. There are plenty of great RAM brands: OCZ, Patriot, Crucial and Corsair are probably some of the best. Find out what kind you need and buy that type from Newegg (check reviews too).

I've used Corsair in the past and currently use Crucial and can vouch for both.

As for the install, you basically have to remove a panel from underneth the laptop, pull out the old RAM and stick in the new ones. If he's unsure, just do a google search for "install ram sony vaio x" with 'x' being whatever model he has. Installing RAM in a laptop is very easy, much easier than it is in a desktop.

A year or two ago I found a good deal on RAM on crucial for this old compaq presario I'm typing on atm. Their online tool was useful in figuring out the type of RAM I needed.However, the very first set of RAM I received(2 sticks of 1gb each) became corrupted within a few months, but I was able to return them and get replacements. The replacements are still working fine.

Installing RAM is pretty easy, I don't know how to do any thing with the innards of a computer but figured it out and had them installed in 15 minutes. A lot of places around here charge like $30-40 for that service...

As far as laptop RAM goes make sure it isn't "integrated". Apparently there's certain laptops you can buy that you can't replace the RAM on.

[quote name='Brownjohn']
Also, once you get the type/speed from crucial, i.e. DDR/DDR2/DDR3 and 333mhz/800mhz etc, just look for the same RAM on a site like Newegg.com, tigerdirect.com, or amazon. It'll probably be cheaper than ordering from Crucial directly.[/QUOTE]

I would go with this. Generally, ordering directly from the manufacturer is more expensive. RAM will downclock if your system doesn't support faster speeds (i.e. if you buy DDR2 PC-8500 and your system doesn't support 8500 speeds, it'll automatically downclock to PC-6400). Just make sure to get the correct type (DDR, DDR2, and DDR3 sticks will only fit in their respective slots).

I believe the going-rate for RAM is generally around $20 per gigabyte.

also, check the manual, it should say where the RAM is located, and what type/speed it is, as well as a maximum amount of installable memory. but Crucial are very good, tho as some have said, pricey.

installing memory is simple, it can only go in one way round, and is almost impossible to get wrong, provided you have the right type

Thanks for info, guys! It's acutally a tower, not a laptop (when I say 'old Vaio', I mean it! :lol:) I'll be sure to have him take a look at this later.

Crucial RAM is pretty good RAM, and I buy it for work PC upgrades. Not the cheapest RAM out there, though it's used as OEM RAM for a number of PC vendors, such as Dell and HP.

Their online configurator is pretty good to figure out what RAM goes in your PC and how many DIMM slots are in it. Pay careful attention to the number of slots, as it may require you to remove the existing memory to upgrade it.

There's usually a 5% coupon you can find by searching on Google for "5% crucial coupon". Not sure if it works or not, though it has for me in the past.

You might want to check on the Crucial website to see what RAM you need, and then possibly pick it up on NewEgg.com or the like.

For the upgrade, unless it's some oddly-designed tower, it shouldn't need any more tools than a Phillips-head screwdriver to get inside the case and install the RAM.

I just bought some Crucial RAM from Newegg yesterday, and it was ~$10 cheaper than from Crucial's website, so definitely look around.

[quote name='shrike4242']Their online configurator is pretty good to figure out what RAM goes in your PC and how many DIMM slots are in it. Pay careful attention to the number of slots, as it may require you to remove the existing memory to upgrade it.[/QUOTE]

I just remembered how good it is, actually. It was good enough to catch the fact that I had an old BIOS revision on my hard drive so that my max RAM was limited. I read elsewhere that my max RAM was higher than what Crucial's tool stated, and after I updated the BIOS, Crucial's tool reported a higher max RAM. Sweet.

So definitely make sure the BIOS is updated before you run Crucial's tool.

Deal/Shopping Discussions & Bragging Rights

wat...

Since it looks to be one of those heavy ( purple one amirite>? ) Vaiosyou'll probably need DDR RAM, which isn't that expensive.

Crucial isn't/wasn't expensive...I recall getting RAM for my laptop ( DDR2 when it was cheaper ) and it was one of the cheapest/excellent price RAM available.

bread's done
Back