Crysis demo, join the countdown

[quote name='ihadFG']I'm wondering this too. I have the same problem. :cry:[/QUOTE]
C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\Crysis\SP Demo\Bin32
.exe is in there with a bunch of .dll files.

[quote name='crystalklear64']C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\Crysis\SP Demo\Bin32
.exe is in there with a bunch of .dll files.[/quote]

Thanks!

Interesting stuff. It's fun to ghost ride a truck into a couple of enemies or use active camo to get in close then fire on all of them. not much else I can say since I only played about a half hour.

Runs great on high settings at 720p and Vsync disabled. I was getting a solid 30-35 fps with no significant drops. I have the recommended set up, but with an E6750, so i'm a little above it.

[quote name='Kayden']Game runs like aids on my 6750, 4gb ram and 8800GTX on medium. It crashes constantly.[/quote]
That's strange. It runs smoothly on my 8800 gts 640 mb, AMD X2 4000+, and 2gb ram on high settings and slightly choppy, but still playable on very high settings.

[quote name='Apossum']Courtesy of a neo-gaf poster:
take this:
http://rapidshare.com/files/65472180/Crysis_Pack_High_to_VeryHigh__NoFrag_.zip.html

copy and paste it here:
\Electronic Arts\Crytek\Crysis SP Demo\Game\Config\CVarGroups

and enjoy many of the Very High settings in DX9/XP. I think the shaders and a few other things are DX10 only.[/QUOTE]
I'm curious as to which DX9 cards can handle the very high settings when a lot of people are having issues with it on their beefy DX10 cards : /

I really wanna see if this'll even run on my computer... I don't think my X850XT can handle it as it couldn't even handle the BioShock demo.:lol:

Of course, I also had trouble running the FEAR demo but when I got the real game (it was only $10 so why not?), it worked amazingly well almost maxed out and at 1680x1050.

[quote name='crystalklear64']I'm curious as to which DX9 cards can handle the very high settings when a lot of people are having issues with it on their beefy DX10 cards : /[/QUOTE]

I get about 20fps with no AA at 720p with the new settings.

[quote name='Apossum']I get about 20fps with no AA at 720p with the new settings.[/QUOTE]
Not bad. I "have" to have 30fps minimum or it just feels slow. I'm sure you could make some sacrifices in a few areas and reach 30 though.

I need to do some more experimenting with the settings to see what really makes the performance hits. I get about 19fps on very high, but only 10fps difference when I bump lots of stuff down to medium and high.

For some reason, changing the textures to medium not only looked bad, but it ran slower as well. Shaders are crazy as I said earlier as to how much the difference between medium and high there is.

Maximum Armor!

dude, this game rocks, gameplay is great. this is my first experience with a game like this. i never played far cry.

anyone know the keyboard shortcut for Armor, Clock, Speed, Strength, Etc.
also what is the "tactical attachment" ?

everything on medium im in the 20's-30's range...

when i bump shaders to high though im averaging 10fps..

i guess its time for my 7900gs to go

lol..system froze when i put everything on high

medium.. cant imagine what low looks like..
medium.jpg

the textures in medium are severely gimped, but most of the other effects don't suffer too much.

[quote name='level1online']what is the "tactical attachment" ?[/QUOTE]
Its these crazy "sleep" bullets. You shoot people with them and then when you want, you can trigger them to release and put people to sleep. Its pretty cool if you tag a bunch of people with them, then release and knock out a whole group at once.

tried the game out with the pad on this time and it did detect it..

works great with 360 contoller.. thank god for games for windows

[quote name='guyver2077']tried the game out with the pad on this time and it did detect it..

works great with 360 contoller.. thank god for games for windows[/quote]

You want to play a shooter with a gamepad? Why?

[quote name='n25philly']You want to play a shooter with a gamepad? Why?[/quote]

cuz the 360 controller is sexy... guess im getting lazy and dont feel like using mouse/kb anymore

[quote name='guyver2077']cuz the 360 controller is sexy... guess im getting lazy and dont feel like using mouse/kb anymore[/quote]

To each their own I guess. I've always equated playing a shooter on a controller to driving a car with your feet. Can it be done? Yes. Should it? Hell no! lol

I tried out the new files that change the High settings to Very High, it looked a little better from what I could tell. It taxed my pc quite a bit, dropping my FPS's down from about 25 steady to around 18. I really wish this demo took advantage of Quad Core processors, I wish I had a better idea of how well my pc is going to run this. It's doing good with the demo, hopefully that will only get better with the retail game.

I think the AI in this game is one of the best around. There are so many ways to play it and i love it!! Should i pre-order this baby?

people who prefer FPS w/controllers are a strange bunch.

the comfort argument makes sense though, you could sit back on a couch or something while KB/M you need to remain somewhat upright.

[quote name='tehweezner']people who prefer FPS w/controllers are a strange bunch.

the comfort argument makes sense though, you could sit back on a couch or something while KB/M you need to remain somewhat upright.[/QUOTE]

Strange...yup...when PC gamers ask why the 360(PS3 has FragFX mind you) don't support keyboard and mouse...they make up some crap about not being fair and such.

[quote name='tehweezner']people who prefer FPS w/controllers are a strange bunch.

the comfort argument makes sense though, you could sit back on a couch or something while KB/M you need to remain somewhat upright.[/quote]

yea while i understand the whole kb/mouse thing, i usually like to play on my tv and the 360 controller works great for shooters..Guess im just used to it...

and yea i can see where kb/mouse have much better precision etc..

for some reason i have never gotten into games for more than a few minutes using kb..i think it just has to do with the way my pc is set up..i have it in my bedroom and dont really have proper/comfortable seating .

So far so good running on my 6800! I have 2GB of RAM and a Core 2 Duo. I can run it on Medium at 1024x768 and seems to be fine. THe motion blur is sweet. It seems really slick, alot like FarCry but with Jedi abilities. I love the speed, high jump, invisibility. The AI is really nice. I really liked the demo.

However I don't think I will buy it. I kinda got tired of the repetetive jungle and beach scenery of FarCry and this just seemed like more of the same on a larger scale. After BioShock and Team Fortress 2 this seems a little gimpy in terms of high style. How many ferns and palm trees can I look at? I think I prefer high style over high realism. Never thought I'd say that. It is a great looking game, but I am looking for something a little different perhaps.

[quote name='BoomRocker']So far so good running on my 6800! I have 2GB of RAM and a Core 2 Duo. I can run it on Medium at 1024x768 and seems to be fine. THe motion blur is sweet. It seems really slick, alot like FarCry but with Jedi abilities. I love the speed, high jump, invisibility. The AI is really nice. I really liked the demo.

However I don't think I will buy it. I kinda got tired of the repetetive jungle and beach scenery of FarCry and this just seemed like more of the same on a larger scale. After BioShock and Team Fortress 2 this seems a little gimpy in terms of high style. How many ferns and palm trees can I look at? I think I prefer high style over high realism. Never thought I'd say that. It is a great looking game, but I am looking for something a little different perhaps.[/QUOTE]

There's going to be an ice world you know......i think there are 4 enviroments. Can't remember where i got that from, so don't quote me.

The demo was great but it made me want to buy a new computer for all these new games. I had to play on Medium to get ok FPS but high made my computer audio go out of sync and the gameplay was choppy. If I put it on Low it ran great with my 7800gt which is pretty pitiful.

I just played through the demo (ran out of ammo on my first try. You have to pick up ammo from the dead. :drool: /retard). Medium settings, 1024x768 at 25-35 FPS. I really liked the gameplay. A generic shooter with the nano suit would be great but when you add the huge jungle environments from Far Cry it's fantastic.

There's nothing quite like running a speedboat aground and jumping off before popping a few guys in the head and then sprinting around them and cloak, throw a grenade and set maximum power to shoot down a few more and then set to maximum armor and finish the last few stragglers.

After I played through once, I set a few settings to high (shaders, volumetric effect, and post processing) and the game looked stunning. Just when I was thinking of playing it with my current card, I see what it could look like with an 8800.

E4400 @ 2.25 GHz
7900GS @ 565/800
3GB Ram

I have an 8800GTS with a [email protected] GHz, and it looked pretty darn amazing at high. At first I played at medium, and it was fine, but didn't wow me. The jump up to high is huge in visual quality.

-HM

http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3164321

Here's the 1UP review. I hate their reviews overall so I don't really pay any attention to them. This was written by Shawn Elliott, who was the chief driver of the Crysis bandwagon up until release, so that makes me think he got his hopes up too high and ended up being disappointed with the game. In the review he basically says the last 1/5 of the game is garbage so that should be interesting to look back on after we beat the game. All the other review scores have been awesome so I have a feeling this will be the odd review of the bunch. Which shouldn't suprise anyone, seeing as how 1UP gives a huge range of scores usually. I think they gave Manhunt 2 a 4.0, I haven't played it but I have a hard time believing that is an accurate score.

Anyways so that is that, the review is short and really negative, buy the game and then compare his view with yours. That part of playing games is always fun for me, playing a game and then seeing how bad some of the reviews are written and formed compared to how the game actually is.

Oh I also saw that there are new Nvidia beta drivers (169.09) out for Crysis. I think these are the first ones released aimed at helping the retail release of Crysis and not the demo. Hopefully they will help the already well optimized game (imo).

XP 32-bit, http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_169.09.html

XP 64-bit, http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp64_169.09.html

Vista 32-bit, http://www.nvidia.com/object/winvista_x86_169.09.html

Vista 64-bit, http://www.nvidia.com/object/winvista_x64_169.09.html

I may hold out a bit to see if a place like gogamer.com puts it on sale. CC's ad claims it's $39.99 with a $10 gift card, which is a decent deal, but they're selling it for $50 on their web site. So I'm not sure what it'll be in their stores anymore...

-HM

It's a fun game but I still think it's overrated b/c of CryEngine2. I'm not gonna buy it, ever, but I like the direction they're going in.

I'm not a huge fan of the way Shawn reviews games but you really don't know what's going on in that crazy head of his. He does know what he's talking about at least.

[quote name='cgarb84']http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3164321

Here's the 1UP review. I hate their reviews overall so I don't really pay any attention to them. This was written by Shawn Elliott, who was the chief driver of the Crysis bandwagon up until release, so that makes me think he got his hopes up too high and ended up being disappointed with the game. In the review he basically says the last 1/5 of the game is garbage so that should be interesting to look back on after we beat the game. All the other review scores have been awesome so I have a feeling this will be the odd review of the bunch. Which shouldn't suprise anyone, seeing as how 1UP gives a huge range of scores usually.[/quote]

OK, I want to defend Shawn Elliott because he is far and away my favorite videogame critic.

His review seems to follow the same pattern as the game (assuming Crysis follows the same blueprints as Far Cry as far difficulty and enemy encounters are concerned) opening with the discovery of the many options that you have in any single encounter (his anecdote about the C4 and the hut).

He then starts to talk about flaws such as the under delivered enemy AI (he mentions the designer saying that AI will notice blood on leaves, a feature that didn't make it in the final game), and then he points out that the enemy AI that is in the game has a lot of inconsistencies (the way the cloak works).

These types of complaints are standard in reviews. Any glowing review will point out the less-than-shining moments of a game. The difference is that the complaints just keep on coming ("Dumb monster apes and indoor drudgery", "The wintry jungle is just a white hallway"). And the review seems to end on a real downer. If you've played Far Cry you should be able to understand how this could happen.

I'm still very excited about this game. The reviewer has said that some of the early "levels" in Crysis are his favorites! And I had a blast playing the demo. Even if the game goes the way of Far Cry at the end, I believe I'll still have a great time with it.

[quote name='SpreadTheWord']OK, I want to defend Shawn Elliott because he is far and away my favorite videogame critic.

His review seems to follow the same pattern as the game (assuming Crysis follows the same blueprints as Far Cry as far difficulty and enemy encounters are concerned) opening with the discovery of the many options that you have in any single encounter (his anecdote about the C4 and the hut).

He then starts to talk about flaws such as the under delivered enemy AI (he mentions the designer saying that AI will notice blood on leaves, a feature that didn't make it in the final game), and then he points out that the enemy AI that is in the game has a lot of inconsistencies (the way the cloak works).

These types of complaints are standard in reviews. Any glowing review will point out the less-than-shining moments of a game. The difference is that the complaints just keep on coming ("Dumb monster apes and indoor drudgery", "The wintry jungle is just a white hallway"). And the review seems to end on a real downer. If you've played Far Cry you should be able to understand how this could happen.

I'm still very excited about this game. The reviewer has said that some of the early "levels" in Crysis are his favorites! And I had a blast playing the demo. Even if the game goes the way of Far Cry at the end, I believe I'll still have a great time with it.[/quote]
I agree with a lot of what you said. I loved Far Cry but it did falter somewhat at the end of the game, turning in to more of a Doom-like game than what the rest of Far Cry was. I like Shawn Elliott a lot on the GFW podcast, he's informative and funny (most of the time). But the way he looks at games makes me angry sometimes. He just completely blows off certain games while relentlessly praising others to the point of obsession. It gets really annoying for me after a while. I just think this was a piss-poor review by him. I can't criticize the content of the review since I haven't played the retail release yet, but I can criticize the overall tone and structure of the review. I hate when reviews for games have a negative tone the entire review but then slap on a really good score, like an 8.0 in this case. If the game is as big of a disappointment to him as it seems then his score is too high (or his expectations were too high). I just think this is a really lousy review, but not for the 8.0 it received. IMO the way the review was approached and written was somewhat juvenile.

Picked mine up at CC. It rang up as $39.99, plus the gift card, but then totaled $50! The manager overrode it though. It's good to have the circular right there. It sounds like maybe the system was trying to charge me for the gift card.

-HM

[quote name='cgarb84']I agree with a lot of what you said. I loved Far Cry but it did falter somewhat at the end of the game, turning in to more of a Doom-like game than what the rest of Far Cry was. I like Shawn Elliott a lot on the GFW podcast, he's informative and funny (most of the time). But the way he looks at games makes me angry sometimes. He just completely blows off certain games while relentlessly praising others to the point of obsession. It gets really annoying for me after a while. I just think this was a piss-poor review by him. I can't criticize the content of the review since I haven't played the retail release yet, but I can criticize the overall tone and structure of the review. I hate when reviews for games have a negative tone the entire review but then slap on a really good score, like an 8.0 in this case. If the game is as big of a disappointment to him as it seems then his score is too high (or his expectations were too high). I just think this is a really lousy review, but not for the 8.0 it received. IMO the way the review was approached and written was somewhat juvenile.[/QUOTE]

I have no problem with the 8, I was more wary of the high score other reviewers were throwing around (for Crysis and a lot of other games recently). I didn't read feel his review was overwhelmingly negative. If anything, like he mentions in the review, the game was so good in parts (according to his review), that it makes the lesser parts stand out so much more.

I do think his Crysis review dwelled too long on the dissapointing change in gameplay style in the last section. The last three paragraphs are devoted to this and it carries through to a conclusion that I don't think was a summary of his overall feeling on Crysis. I would have also liked to see him talk about the nano suit more and its impact on the gameplay.

I really respect Sean's reviews, mostly because I see him as more discerning than other reviewers. Most of the gaming industry gloss over games using the same tired cliched stories and gameplay elements, I usually can count on his reviews to go a little deeper.

Well I just finished the game today and I have to say I liked it a lot. However, there is no doubt that the game undergoes a fundamental change about 1/2 way through. It goes from being a completely open-ended and creative experience to a very linear Call of Duty like game. The game itself is still good but it's way too linear near the end. The best thing about the game is taken away from you the 2nd half of it. Hopefully in the sequel they will stick closer to the games roots and maintain the open-endness in the first 1/2 of the game.

Overall I rate it a solid 9/10. The score would've been higher if the game held up all the way thru, but there are just too many design flaws with it later on. Despite this it maintains a very high level of fun and enjoyment from playing it.

It is a better game than Far Cry in almost every way. Here's to hoping Crytek's next game will be their best yet.

bread's done
Back