Crytek (Crysis developers) ditch PC exclusitivity - games now coming to consoles too

Roufuss

CAGiversary!
Feedback
102 (100%)
Blames piracy and low sales (compared to console titles).

http://kotaku.com/385477/crytek-ditch-pc-exclusivity-blame-pirates

Sure are seeing a lot of this lately... first Infinity Ward says this, then Epic, then Iron Lore closes, and now Crytek ditches the PC, because cmon, you know the PC will now play second fiddle to 360 / PS3.

This is pretty big news imo, as Crytek was one of the last "pure" PC developers who didn't port their products to the consoles (Far Cry on the PC was Crytek, every other version was Ubisoft IIRC... there was a big different in quality IIRC).

I bet we'll see a Crytek developed Crysis on the consoles probably as early as next year now. PC titles must do extremely horrible in sales numbers compared to consoles... in a few years, I doubt we'll see much PC gaming left, if any, and it'll just be indie dev's. Amount of developer's who have been PC centric for a long time starting to ditch the platform is never a good sign of things to come.

It looks like Blizzard will be the last developer left who is PC exclusive... because I heard even the Stalker dev's are working on a port of Clear Sky for the 360.

They're just not developing exclusively... don't see why it really matters... the PC version is still going to look better.

Well crysis only sold 86,633 units in Nov 07 so , and UT3 PC did even worse less than 40k units.
i personally would havent have a problem playing a FPS on console if the let go of that dam gamepad heck even sega knew that Mouse and keyboard was better

[quote name='Chacrana']They're just not developing exclusively... don't see why it really matters... the PC version is still going to look better.[/quote]

Yeah but I won't have to spend eleventy billion dollahs on a new PC to run it at half settings. ;)

This thread is going to go off on the whole OMG 20000000K dollars to build a PC.

Console FPS suck, compared to the PC counterpart, and the PC counterparts will always look better.

Don't give the comfy couch excuse because its easy as anything to hook a PC to a TV.

The problem is that people think PC game sales should equal console sales, when that has never been in the case, but because we are in the age of NPDs, everything needs to sell 200k its first week, and then sell nothing like in the console space, and also most publishers are expecting all PC games to sell like WOW and pull in millions of dollars in revenue. Its not going to happen for most games.

The PC landscape is entirely different, where if your game is good it will have legs, and will continue to sell through, and not be totally ditched a week after release like most console games.

PC games are also much cheaper to produce because they don't have to pay a console maker a license free for every game they sell.

The Problem with Crytek now is that being owned by EA, they feel forced to do this.

I am so sick and tired of hearing the same mantra of the PC gaming is dead bullshit.

PC Gaming is Far From Dead.

I hate threads like these with people deeming that LULZ PC GAMING IS DEAD!!!!!

In the PC's defense... a lot of Xbox 360 games have gotten ported over to the PC (GTA, Gears of War, Lost Planet, Halo 1/2, and Mass Effect in the future- I'm sure there has been more in the past and there will be more in the future). So I don't see any reason to say that the PC market is exactly dying because publishers must think there's money to be made if they're porting over the games.

[quote name='InuFaye']This thread is going to go off on the whole OMG 20000000K dollars to build a PC.

Console FPS suck, compared to the PC counterpart, and the PC counterparts will always look better.

Don't give the comfy couch excuse because its easy as anything to hook a PC to a TV.

The problem is that people think PC game sales should equal console sales, when that has never been in the case, but because we are in the age of NPDs, everything needs to sell 200k its first week, and then sell nothing like in the console space, and also most publishers are expecting all PC games to sell like WOW and pull in millions of dollars in revenue. Its not going to happen for most games.

The PC landscape is entirely different, where if your game is good it will have legs, and will continue to sell through, and not be totally ditched a week after release like most console games.

PC games are also much cheaper to produce because they don't have to pay a console maker a license free for every game they sell.

The Problem with Crytek now is that being owned by EA, they feel forced to do this.

I am so sick and tired of hearing the same mantra of the PC gaming is dead bullshit.

PC Gaming is Far From Dead.

I hate threads like these with people deeming that LULZ PC GAMING IS DEAD!!!!![/QUOTE]

You PMS-ing about the "LULZ PC GAMING IS DEAD" isn't going to help, honestly.;)

Big whoop. Spread the games out. With things like PAX and that one in the Netherlands (forget what it's called), PC gaming is still doing fine. It just seems that they PC developers ran out of good ideas (except for the few good companies, Valve, Blizzard, etc.) and then ran the big money maker, RTS games, into the ground.

PC gaming is not the place for big budget, AAA, expensive titles. It is the place for low budget, small publisher titles that appeal to a wide range of people.

PC gaming will never die but it will be second to consoles for most types of games. There is just more money in console games.

I'm happy about this because now we'll get good versions of crytek games and they can continue to make great tech for PCs. I just wish that all console fps could use mouse and keyboard because it is the superior control scheme.

PC gaming is going nowhere, nothing wrong with spreading games out to the consoles too so they can make more money.

PC gamers will still buy them on PCs in pretty much the same numbers as most of those folks are pretty loyal about preferring gaming on PCs to consoles.

Those of us that only do console gaming will buy the ports on consoles if they do a good job, so it's a win-win for the publishers.

[quote name='mrlokievil']
I just wish that all console fps could use mouse and keyboard because it is the superior control scheme.[/QUOTE]

I actually hate keyboard/mouse controls. The Mouse part is great, but I suck with the keyboard. That and I just hate using keyboard/mouse for gaming for one of the major reasons I hate gaming on the PC in general--hate using them after using them all day at work.

PC gaming is great, I can't knock it at all. It's just not for me for a variety of personal, subjective reasons.

[quote name='Roufuss']I doubt we'll see much PC gaming left, if any, and it'll just be indie dev's.[/quote]
Puh-lease, quit being so overly-dramatic.

I remember back when people were baaaaaawing about the supposed "death of PC gaming" back in the friggin mid-90s. This song and dance is so old, it's almost comical that there are still people insisting on it. It's nonsense, plain and simple.

PC gaming will be around as long as console gaming. Both will have big titles, and both will have small titles. There will be exclusives on both, and some games will be better on PC than on console, and vice-versa. Just like it's always been since the dawn of time.

I think multiplatform is badass; the more platforms a game is on, the better.

It looks like Blizzard will be the last developer left who is PC exclusive...
Blizzard has/had a console division (the Swingin Ape team they acquired), which has recently been rumored to be making a console game based on the World of Warcraft movie.

It'll be interesting to see how well they'll get the CryEngine2 to run on a console (I still don't think it can be done well IMHO).

Good for Crytek, they need something called money.
Everyone knows it will look and run better on the PC. If a game is multiplatform and released within a month time frame that I want for the PC, then I buy it for the PC, unless all my friends go on XBLA to play it (Rainbow Six Vegas 2 for example).

If you think PC gaming is "dead" just look at the sales for WoW, Sims and any Blizzard title. Diablo 2 was in the top 10 sellers for years.
Let's not forget digital distribution either. Half Life and Bioshock raked in the monies.

I really hope that PC gaming doesn't die as I want some PC companies to stay the fuck away from consoles. We already have enough FPS's out on them and more are NOT needed!
Give me more Adventure and action games as well as platformers, puzzle and RPG's.

Good articles, but until solid video is shown of in-gameplay with no hiccups/slowdown/screen tearing, I'm just going to sit and watch them try to replicate the pc experience of CryEngine 2 on a console. It's yet to be done to this day and I doubt it's going to start with CryTek's first crack of CryEngine2 on a console.

[quote name='Malik112099']its already running well on the PS3 and 360

http://www.gamesradar.com/ps3/plays.../a-2008040815653846044/g-20060314115917309058

http://www.megagames.com/news/html/console/cryengine2onconsoleslooksnearlylikepcshighquality.shtml

http://www.maxconsole.net/?mode=news&newsid=26710

http://www.xbox360fanboy.com/2008/04/08/cryengine-2-on-the-360-nearly-equal-to-pc-version/[/quote]

It was only a matter of time.. there's going to be more PC developers hopping on. If GTA IV can make millions of dollars... why hold back some of these big franchise PC games. Mouse and Keyboard can be used on PS3 and 360 so that's not an obstacle like it was before in the past.

[quote name='SL4IN']I'm just going to sit and watch them try to replicate the pc experience on a console. It's yet to be done to this day....[/QUOTE]

Uh, what? UT3 on PS3 is identical to the PC version.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Uh, what? UT3 on PS3 is identical to the PC version.[/quote]

I was referencing the CryEngine2 to be replicated from the pc experience to a console. :roll:

[quote name='SL4IN']I was referencing the CryEngine2 to be replicated from the pc experience to a console. :roll:[/QUOTE]

Un, read what you wrote (specifically, "It's yet to be done to this day"), and it's clear that you were saying that you don't think that any console version of a game has "replicated the pc experience," thus far. In response, I provided an example of a released game that is identical on PC and consoles.

Point stands.

[quote name='SL4IN']Good articles, but until solid video is shown of in-gameplay with no hiccups/slowdown/screen tearing, I'm just going to sit and watch them try to replicate the pc experience of CryEngine 2 on a console. It's yet to be done to this day and I doubt it's going to start with CryTek's first crack of CryEngine2 on a console.[/quote]

There fixed. I guess I must have missed the part in the user agreement when I signed up to these forums that I needed to be blatantly obvious and have what I'm talking about be straight forward or else I'd be called out because it wasn't blatantly clear.

[quote name='SL4IN']There fixed. I guess I must have missed the part in the user agreement when I signed up to these forums that I needed to be blatantly obvious and have what I'm talking about be straight forward or else I'd be called out because it wasn't blatantly clear.[/QUOTE]

Well, what made it seem like you were talking about PC games in general was the bit about "it's yet to be done to this day."

I don't see why you would add in that bit, considering that we haven't seen anything of the attempts to bring CE2 to consoles, so we don't know either way. Again, it sounds like you were, without question, talking about PC games in general, hence, the confusion.

There is a difference between being unclear, and saying something that authoritatively sounds like it's trying to make a point other than the one you meant to.

Crysis was a great looking game with absurd system requirements and a forgettable story. A selling point shouldn't be "lulz, ur PC cant play this!"

[quote name='Thomas96']Mouse and Keyboard can be used on PS3 and 360 so that's not an obstacle like it was before in the past.[/quote]Since when could you use a mouse on 360? Other than FFXI? (I can't remember if they got support working in that game or not).

I'm starting to think these kinds of threads are nothing but flame bait. Like CoffeeEdge said, this song and dance has been going on for a decade. Nothing beneficial comes out of these arguments, other than pointing out how ignorant some people are about PC gaming. :drool:

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Uh, what? UT3 on PS3 is identical to the PC version.[/quote]

Yeah 30fps=120fps
:roll:

That supposed shot you linked looks like medium settings without AA.

Otherwise looks like garbage.

It would probably run at 25fps at 650p.

[quote name='InuFaye']Yeah 30fps=120fps[/quote]
99% of people won't notice the difference (and furthermore, 99% won't be able to run UT3 at settings and resolution equivalent to the PS3 version, and get a framerate anything like that).

That supposed shot you linked looks like medium settings without AA.
What the fuck, man, I didn't link anything. Seriously, you're like the third person this week to randomly fabricate memories of me posting links to things that I haven't.

It would probably run at 25fps at 650p.
Uh...ok?

o well.. it doesnt matter as the pc version will always have the potential to be the best..

but he is on point... a hugE chunk of the pc world is filled with piracy. (I really refuse to pay over $30 for a pc game)

O and sorry coffeedge, i would normally agree with the whole "normal people notice" argument but ut 3 on ps3 is pretty lackluster compared to pc. As soon as I tried it out I was immediately wow'ed (in a bad way) at the 30fps. Ut is real fast game and 30 fps wont cut it for this title. Heck I was able to run it with higher fps with my old machine but not with the new build I get a solid 60fps.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']99% of people won't notice the difference (and furthermore, 99% won't be able to run UT3 at settings and resolution equivalent to the PS3 version, and get a framerate anything like that).

What the fuck, man, I didn't link anything. Seriously, you're like the third person this week to randomly fabricate memories of me posting links to things that I haven't.

Uh...ok?[/quote]

Yeah because you can't notice a difference between 30fps and 60fps.
There is no way you can't notice it. Unless you are blind or something.
UT3 on PS3 is equal to roughly medium-high settings with 2xAA running at 30fps with huge dips in places.
The PC version is far superior, just like every unreal engine 3 game runs much better on a PC.

Sorry you didn't link the pics, but I don't remember calling you out on linking the pics. Sorry If I offended you with those pics.

[quote name='Kayden']A selling point shouldn't be "lulz, ur PC cant play this!"[/QUOTE]

You wouldn't think so, but I've held for well over a decade that computer technology, and the pace at which they improve, is primarily driven by games (but in order to explain why Apple does it, it's in order to avoid looking numerically inferior in terms of processing power).

That version of Office I'm running sure doesn't do *that* much more than it did so many years ago, but suddenly it requires 512MB of RAM instead of the fewer than 32 it needed so long ago. It didn't drive the hardware as much as "Doom 3" and shit like that did - but it sure seemed to take advantage of lazy developers who don't seem interested in tightening their product so it isn't as resource heavy as a mid-level FPS.

[quote name='InuFaye']
The PC version is far superior, just like every unreal engine 3 game runs much better on a PC.

.[/quote]

Not quite... Gears of War on PC was a development mess which has still not been fully fixed. Don't get me wrong. The game itself is awesome and the new chapters are pretty cool but the game had bugs for months where it would randomly crash and freeze. Even with supreme hardware it would not run "consistent". I finally was just able to play through the new chapters without the game just freezing.

I played through it recently with my rig on max settings running at around 25fps with no pop-in.

No Problems.

[quote name='InuFaye']The PC version is far superior, just like every unreal engine 3 game runs much better on a PC.[/quote]
On capable PCs. That must be noted.

[quote name='InuFaye']Sorry you didn't link the pics, but I don't remember calling you out on linking the pics.[/QUOTE]
Uh, okay, allow me to refresh your memory (and this was written as a response to my post, and you never named anyone else, so you were clearly talking to me):
[quote name='InuFaye']That supposed shot you linked looks like medium settings without AA.[/quote]

Im waiting patiently for Sacred 2 on PC or 360, anyone heard any updates on this game, I enjoyed the hell out of the first one for PC

[quote name='InuFaye']Sorry CoffeEdge didn't mean to call you out.[/QUOTE]

Okay then, who did you mean to "call out"? No one has posted links to any screenshot of UT3 here, but somehow you seem to be able to discuss a lot of details about this specific non-linked-to, non-existent shot in question (image quality, amount of anti-aliasing, etc).

How about I call you out, and say that you're making claims and assumptions about the PS3 UT3's graphics, without having actually seen them? You judged a (theoretical) screenshot without ever even actually seeing it.

Ugh. And PC zealots (not saying you are one, but this behavior is common among them) wonder why a lot of people find it hard to take them seriously.

I was calling out Malik who posted screens of Crysis supposedly running on a console.

I have seen and played UT3 on a console, and a PC.

Sorry for trying not to be a douchebag and apologizing.

[quote name='InuFaye']I was calling out Malik who posted screens of Crysis supposedly running on a console.[/QUOTE]
Not one of those articles he linked to contained any pictures claiming to be shots of the console version of Crysis.

Lies. Unless you have a $5k rig or ran it at 640x480.

[quote name='InuFaye']I played through it recently with my rig on max settings running at around 25fps with no pop-in.

No Problems.[/quote]

These arguments always got the same way. It boils down to the fact that if you're a graphics whore, don't mind upgrading/tinkering with your PC and settings in games and love keyboard mouse controls then you'll love PC gaming. Same if you love RTS, MMORPG and the other genres that are more prevalent on the PC.

If you care less about graphics, prefer a standard control, hate sitting at a computer to game, don't like the genres the PC does better etc. etc., then you'll prefer console gaming.

That's pretty much in in a nutshell, aside from ignorant fanboys on both sides that just spout off non-sense.

bread's done
Back