Cubivore Re-release/reprint? (ala Persona 2/Rhapsody)

SailorDaravon

CAGiversary!
Feedback
64 (100%)
I'd noticed that Cubivore has been in stock apparently all the time lately on Gamestop's site used for 39.99, which is kinda odd. Then I was in my local store today, and the manager's pulling out two NEW copies. He said it was just like the Rhapsody thing, they're new copies, but they're being marked as used copies at 39.99. I picked one up, it didn't have shrink wrap, but it was very obviously new, in perfect collection, disc was in the case tight just a like new game was, and the disc was flawless. I did a search and didn't see this posted, though this might interest some, check out your local GS or online!

Notice GameQuestDirect also has these on eBay ;) So I guess I might take a stab at it either on EB or for the B2G1F at Gamestop...

[quote name='gizmogc']Interesting. Still somewhat expensive though...I thought Gamestop/EB only charged like $14.99 used for this?[/QUOTE]
39.99 used.

Gamestop USED to charge 19.99 B&M used for it (which is what I'd been keeping an eye out for) but with this it's back up to that price. I don't know about B&M EB's, but it's also been 39.99 b/c everytime I've ever seen it on ebgames. A little steep, but I got it as part of the 2for1 used game sale, which softens the blow quite a bit.

You know what is hilarious? They (Gamestop) are still charging $19.99 for it New, but $39.99 used. I know because I picked up a New copy yesterday!

I asked someone at a Gamestop about it, he said that Gamestop found a whole bunch new hidden away somewhere, so they decided to open them and sell them as used(which boggles my mind).

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']I asked someone at a Gamestop about it, he said that Gamestop found a whole bunch new hidden away somewhere, so they decided to open them and sell them as used(which boggles my mind).[/QUOTE]

Because the used price is more then the new price (which boggles my mind as well).

Is this worth 39.99?

Has to be a re-release/reprint because if you do a store lookup, you see copies are coming in to all stores just about. I checked my area and just about all of them have more on the way.:roll: I thought my store was lucky to get one in shipment, but I guess not. Why do they do this to us? It's just like Resident Evil 2/3, Rhapsody, Persona 2, and probably a few others that I can't think of at the moment.:bomb:

[quote name='allout1986']Has to be a re-release/reprint because if you do a store lookup, you see copies are coming in to all stores just about. I checked my area and just about all of them have more on the way.:roll: I thought my store was lucky to get one in shipment, but I guess not. Why do they do this to us? It's just like Resident Evil 2/3, Rhapsody, Persona 2, and probably a few others that I can't think of at the moment.:bomb:[/QUOTE]
Heh, well, for one it's Atlus. Which means there's kind of a pattern the last couple months.

[quote name='botticus']Heh, well, for one it's Atlus. Which means there's kind of a pattern the last couple months.[/QUOTE]

I like it, it means Atlus could very well be the first company smart enough to say "Hey, look, people are buying these games for crazy numbers, let's just reprint a ton and we can make some good money".

As long as you didn't buy the game for the crazy high price (I feel bad for the people who spent 100 on Rhapsody) this is a good idea. Bring on Rez now!!

[quote name='Roufuss']I like it, it means Atlus could very well be the first company smart enough to say "Hey, look, people are buying these games for crazy numbers, let's just reprint a ton and we can make some good money".

As long as you didn't buy the game for the crazy high price (I feel bad for the people who spent 100 on Rhapsody) this is a good idea. Bring on Rez now!![/QUOTE]
The question now is do I try to find it cheap somewhere, go ahead and get it for 29.99 a/c at EB next time I see it, or just fork over 39.99 for a used or "used" copy at GS?

[quote name='botticus']The question now is do I try to find it cheap somewhere, go ahead and get it for 29.99 a/c at EB next time I see it, or just fork over 39.99 for a used or "used" copy at GS?[/QUOTE]

If someone told me why it was worth 39.99 I'd consider it... I don't know anything about the game other then it is for Gamecube and "rare".

I might Cubivore for $20 or less just becuase of how odd it seems, but seriously, it really doesnt seem like that great a game...more or less a novelty.

[quote name='botticus']Heh, well, for one it's Atlus. Which means there's kind of a pattern the last couple months.[/QUOTE]Atlus is more intelligent than most of these other companies.

[quote name='Roufuss']If someone told me why it was worth 39.99 I'd consider it... I don't know anything about the game other then it is for Gamecube and "rare".[/QUOTE]

You may have trouble finding someone to tell you why its worth $40. I mentioned in another thread that I picked this up from EB gor $12.99 preowned about a year and a half ago. I hardly ever played it and was planning on ebaying it until I heard about this reprint so I traded it in for $17 at gamestop earlier tonight. Oh well, I guess I made a profit on it afterall anyway. Trust me, though its definetly a bargain game and should have been priced as such.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']Atlus is more intelligent than most of these other companies.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I'm just wondering which game is gonna be the next one to get reprinted?

[quote name='Roufuss']If someone told me why it was worth 39.99 I'd consider it... I don't know anything about the game other then it is for Gamecube and "rare".[/QUOTE]

I've watched my friend play it in full, and I tried a bit of it myself. The game is worth it at $19.99 but for $39.99? Nah, not really. The gameplay is interesting and it brings back nostalgic feelings of EVO for the SNES, but overall I felt that, for a niche game, it really isn't worth all of the hype.

Just my opinion, though. I think there are better, rare titles out there. But, hey, if you can snag it for $19.99 or even a bit more, may as well go for it if you want to give it a chance! I'm sure you can resell it to another CAG for $30 if it isn't your thing.

Yeah, it's a very unique game. Not worth 40 by itself, but with the GS sale we picked up 6 very good titles (with some new ones like Radiata Stories and Advance Wars DS), worked out to 20.47 a title after tax, which is great all around. It was worth the 20 bucks if nothing else for the look on my girlfriend's face when she was playing it for the first time ^^.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Yeah, I'm just wondering which game is gonna be the next one to get reprinted?[/QUOTE]

My guess would be Disgaea but I hope Kartia gets consideration too.

When did Atlus pass Working Designs as the US' foremost provider ofJapanese RPG and quirky titles anyway?

[quote name='GuilewasNK']My guess would be Disgaea but I hope Kartia gets consideration too.

When did Atlus pass Working Designs as the US' foremost provider ofJapanese RPG and quirky titles anyway?[/QUOTE]
Disgaea already got a reprint. There are now copies without the top seal. Kartia is always about $15-20 used and is not that hard to find. Now a re-release of Tactics Orge/ Ogre Battle series on PS and GBA would be great.

[quote name='62t']there are easily much better games to get for $40 then this.[/QUOTE]

Hard to see how anyone could disagree with this....;)

[quote name='GuilewasNK']
When did Atlus pass Working Designs as the US' foremost provider ofJapanese RPG and quirky titles anyway?[/QUOTE]

Because Atlus releases more than one title every few years.

Sorry, couldn't resist :p

I have this game loose...I just want the damn coverart! If anyone buys this and wants to sell just the coverart please PM me.

[quote name='gizmogc']I have this game loose...I just want the damn coverart! If anyone buys this and wants to sell just the coverart please PM me.[/QUOTE]

If you had posted this just a little bit sooner, I could have helped you out.

Kartia's readily available and cheap and has been mentioned. Ogre Battle (PS), Tactics Ogre PS/GBA, and Persona 1 would all be pretty good candidates for cheap reprints. Atlus should just do it and sell them direct from their website for like 30 bucks a pop, it'd do pretty well.

[quote name='62t']Disgaea already got a reprint. There are now copies without the top seal. Kartia is always about $15-20 used and is not that hard to find. Now a re-release of Tactics Orge/ Ogre Battle series on PS and GBA would be great.[/QUOTE]

Exactly the two games I was thinking... ;-)

[quote name='RedvsBlue']If you had posted this just a little bit sooner, I could have helped you out.[/QUOTE]

Damn. Maybe someone else?

[quote name='SailorDaravon']Kartia's readily available and cheap and has been mentioned. Ogre Battle (PS), Tactics Ogre PS/GBA, and Persona 1 would all be pretty good candidates for cheap reprints. Atlus should just do it and sell them direct from their website for like 30 bucks a pop, it'd do pretty well.[/QUOTE]

Atlus seems to have some kind of unofficial deal with Gamestop... my guess is they would continue to sell the games through them.

If rez would get reprint...would people buy them at $50.00, that is the question. That is the price point i heard it could be reprinted at. Nothing less, due to the licensing issues. I'm in the circle. So if enough people are interested at that price point. It could be possibly done. Let me know.

[quote name='spankmenow420']If rez would get reprint...would people buy them at $50.00, that is the question. That is the price point i heard it could be reprinted at. Nothing less, due to the licensing issues. I'm in the circle. So if enough people are interested at that price point. It could be possibly done. Let me know.[/QUOTE]

at this point, they may not...it looks that a lot of people are still crying about feeling ripped off about the other reprints...because stores have obviously put guns to customer's heads to make them make the purchases...i'd say that all in all it depends on the # of reprint copies...assuming it was a small reprint, they'd probably easily go for $50...it all depends though....you can never tell these days what will and won't drive gamer's crazy

I bought a new copy (yes, it was a opened display) for $18 at EB a few months ago. It is a good quirky game, but I would not pay much more than $18 for it. I'd think real hard about $25, and would probably pass hoping for a drop to $20.

I played this when I nabbed it off here one time for 20.00, I particularly didn't like it and found it to be a very bland game that is only notable for it's "OMG WEIRD & JAPANNY KAWAIIIII KEKEKEKE ^_^"ness...and that just doesn't cut it for me when I want a "good" game.

I was just about to pull the trigger and buy a copy of Cubivore from Defender when he shut down his business. I'll have to check my local GS now and see if they have a copy.

I saw a used copy when I was at Gamestop two days ago. When I got my copy, it was 20 new, so they definitly jacked up the price. Seems like a real wierd idea to reprint, out of all games, Cubivore? It's a fun game, but I'd rather see other reprints being done. (Though there are 4-5 copies of disgaea at Fry's). I'm pretty sure Castlevania SOTM had a GH reprint few years ago, since I bought a copy at Sam's.

I got my sealed copy for $29.99 like 5-6 months ago.

I doubt this is as large a reprint (if it is a reprint) as the lunar 2 and rhapsody one because they aren't rampantly in-stock in Los Angeles.

I have my doubts about this being a reprint.

As for the game play. It's very very weird, but fun. You really have to get into it to really like it. But like someone already said this is a very unique game. Something that would normally not come out in the US (ala Konami's Firefighter FD18, ATLUS stuff, etc).

I got a used copy from GS 6 months ago for $18. It's def. a quirky title. Played it about 3-4 hrs. and the quirkiness wore off. I really don't think it's worth the price unless your a collector. Just my opinion though.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']Atlus is more intelligent than most of these other companies.[/QUOTE]

They release games with lower dev costs and print only to meet demand instead of exceed it in many cases nowadays. I totally agree.

By the way, this was $9.99 at EB a year or two back. That's when I picked mine up. Definately an odd game

[quote name='Rubberlegs']I got a used copy from GS 6 months ago for $18. It's def. a quirky title. Played it about 3-4 hrs. and the quirkiness wore off. I really don't think it's worth the price unless your a collector. Just my opinion though.[/QUOTE]

my thoughts too, i never got into the game, i picked it up for 15 bucks at gamestop. i got rid of it when i dumped a huge part of my collection. IMO its only good for collectors, and with a reprint, even now its not very good for them

So what's the verdict here? Do most of you think this is a reprint or did GS just find a few cases of them stored away?

[quote name='Roufuss']Because the used price is more then the new price (which boggles my mind as well).

Is this worth 39.99?[/QUOTE]

Don't they govern their own prices? If they want to charge $39.99 for a new game that used to be priced at $19.99, what's to stop them?

I think this game is worth more than 50 bucks, gameplay wise. I loved this game. But this is pissing me off, I like knowing I have rare titles. I like it even more when they're valuable, but simply being rare is good enough for me. I really hate that they're reprinting these games, as I tend to have all of them. Persona 2 and dragonball gt are the only ones I didn't have when they were reprinted.

I was raised as a collector of sports cards (and had a family run sports card store), that market tanked cause of saturation/ebay. I still have that mentality though. Hell, even games I don't have, am desperate to play and cost 300 on ebay I don't want reprinted. It just takes the fun out of tracking it down.

I guess this deal is the truth, because when I now check Gamestop's online inventory, all the local stores are now showing 1-3 copies in stock, where it was originally 0 and "more on the way".

bread's done
Back