Current Best Deal on Used XBox?

darkwingduck13

CAGiversary!
I'm trying to get an original XBox, with at least one controller and hookups. I'd prefer not to do eBay. What's the best option for picking one up cheap? I'm not opposed to new if it's cheap enough, but I've been focusing on looking for a used one due to the assumption that it will be cheaper. I think I'm going to softmod it so I can do XBMC.

You could always use the trade forums here and say you're looking for one. I'd sell you mine but for some reason my son has separation anxiety and would freak out if I took it out of his room (even though he doesn't play it).

You won't find a new original Xbox for cheap, and if you do you should resell it and buy 12 used original Xboxes.

I believe Game Crazy is selling them for $49.99 for a limited time. They'll give you a coupon sheet worth 12 free rentals at Hollywood Video (you could even eBay that if you wanted, get $10-20 back).

[quote name='freshzen']

I believe Game Crazy is selling them for $49.99 for a limited time. They'll give you a coupon sheet worth 12 free rentals at Hollywood Video (you could even eBay that if you wanted, get $10-20 back).[/QUOTE]

That's probably the best deal. Even if you estimate the movie rentals at $2-$3 each, that's a $24-$36 value. So your Xbox is only $14-$26, not bad at all.

Screen those used consoles at GameCrazy carefully though; tons of refubs, broken ones, or warranty stickers removed.

One in ten consoles, or one in twelve has a Samsung drive. Sometimes none at all. [concerning used Xboxes at GC]

The final revision of the Phillips drive is the best though (found in 1.6 xboxs). The early Phillips drives were pretty bad.

I'd recommend your area's craigslist. I got one in great shape about a month ago from someone off CL with 2 controllers, dvd attachment, 8 games, and a DDR mat for $50. You just have to be patient and wait for the right deal to come up and/or negotiate with people.

bread's done
Back