Current Gamefly Subscribers - Save 35% on your next month!

markyshizzle

CAGiversary!
Feedback
23 (100%)
Hey guys I just did the trial on gamefly and recently cancelled and they tried to make me stay by offering me 35% off my next month. I'm pretty sure this is the case for everybody. So if you want 35% just hit cancel, and before you finalize this offer will pop up.

Hope I helped some of you guys out :D

I did this about a year ago. After accepting the offer and rejoining, they don't give you the option to save ever again.

[quote name='Armor42']I did this about a year ago. After accepting the offer and rejoining, they don't give you the option to save ever again.[/QUOTE]

Same.

I'm perfectly happy w/ gamerang... which I might add is running a 2 at a time for 2 months for $40.

Not only is their shipping faster to the midwest, but they tend to actually have recent releases available.

(shipping centers)
SANTA ANA CA 92799-9628
PURCELL OK 73080-9903
ENGLEWOOD NJ 07631-9956
CRYSTAL MN 55428-0039

Englewood up to no good.
Heh, that's actually pretty damn close to me. Closer than even Gamefly can get to me. Nice.

Wow that does make Gamerang sound better for the midwest, if they have a decent selection/turnaround time I'd be way down. I would think if they were better than gamefly they'd have more exposure though.

Yeah, but on topic... 35% off for just one month? That's lame. I thought they had better deals when you threatened to cancel. Oh wells.

If you buy a full year of gamefly it comes to 18$ a month (for 2 games out at a time) or 12.50 for 1 game at a time.

[quote name='Serpentor']you can buy a year? i didn't know...[/QUOTE]

Technically you're just buying a gift certificate for yourself for a year. But the longer the time period for the certificate, the bigger the discount for up to a year.

I just signed up for the 30 day free trial through ECA. So far I'm waiting for my first free rental. :]. Since my subscription ends in Nov when would it be a good time to ship back the game? Sorry to go off topic

i still have 12 months of prepaid for trade ins i did 2 years ago : ) had to love when they were giving 10 to 15 bucks for games i could find for 5 easy

I've been with GameFly for 4 years now, never knew you could buy a gift certificate like that. I just checked it out, pretty cool. I don't think I can part with $220 right now, but I'll definitely do this soon.

so, if you do that, buy a year, do you lose the current membership status? I'm almost at the 6 months mark, so i'll be getting 5% and another $5 coupon soon.

[quote name='Serpentor']so, if you do that, buy a year, do you lose the current membership status? I'm almost at the 6 months mark, so i'll be getting 5% and another $5 coupon soon.[/QUOTE]

I'd like to know the answer to this, too.

Stupid tax... well, i'm paying for it anyway at the moment.

Gift Certificates are available for the 1-game and 2-game plans in 1, 2, 3, 6, and 12 month increments.

New Members:

• Gift Certificate recipients will need a valid credit card to activate their gift membership.
  • At end of the gift membership period, monthly payments will be automatically billed to the credit card on file unless the account is cancelled prior to the end of the gift membership period.
  • Gift Certificates cannot be combined with any other specials or free offers including the free trial period.
  • Gift Certificates are not redeemable for the purchase of games from GameFly or our partners. Any game purchases made by recipient will be charged to their account.
Existing Members:

• Gift Certificates can be applied to existing member's accounts becoming effective on their next billing date.
  • Gift Certificates cannot be combined with any other specials or free offers including the free trial offer.
  • Gift Certificates are not redeemable for the purchase of games from GameFly or our partners. Any game purchases made by recipient will be charged to their account.

General Terms:

• Gift Certificates are good in the 50 United States only.
  • Sales tax will be charged on Gift Certificates where applicable.
  • GameFly is not responsible for lost or stolen Gift Certificates.
  • Gift Certificates are non-refundable. Per GameFly's discretion, we may allow refunds if the Gift Certificate has not been redeemed within one year of purchase.

i dont think 20% savings is worth buying a year for some reason.. if they start to throttle the hell out of you, your stuck with the service.

22 x 12 264 yearly paying monthly or 212 per year... saying around 4.33 a month 2 at time...

though i might jump yearly once all of my game credits are gone JuNE 2010

For what it's worth, I felt like I was being throttled...really badly. For about a half dozen games, 4 or 5 days were being added to the usual turnaround. The most annoying part, and why I definitely believed I was being throttled, was that after they received my games (which was taking more time than usual), nothing was being sent out for a couple of days, even though my queue would have 20+ games in it.

I messaged them about my displeasure with the recent service. They gave me the standard company line, about them not being able to control how quickly things get delivered by the USPS. I wasn't expecting much else, but after that, games started getting sent out at their usual speed.

It's a good saving i agree, but you're paying a big chunk of change ahead of time and LOCK yourself in for a year... Plus, you still have to pay taxes on "Gift Certificate."

I rather pay monthly and skip the 20%. The way i see it:
1. I can cancel any time (of course three days before next billing cycle is the best way to do it).
2. I'm not prepaying a year, that money can be used for something else at the moment.
3. GameFly is a slow poke in terms of QUEUE. The Queue sucks balls, it took more than 24 hours to ship the next game. With this kind of Queue management, i do think i want to be locked in for a year...

[quote name='jrhawk42']I'm perfectly happy w/ gamerang... which I might add is running a 2 at a time for 2 months for $40.

Not only is their shipping faster to the midwest, but they tend to actually have recent releases available.

(shipping centers)
SANTA ANA CA 92799-9628
PURCELL OK 73080-9903
ENGLEWOOD NJ 07631-9956
CRYSTAL MN 55428-0039[/QUOTE]

My gamefly is going to end next month. That Crystal shipping center would be golden for me as I'm in MN. How has the selection/service been compared to Gamefly? Have you had gamefly to compare? Thanks!

For those interested in the Gift Certificate route, that is all I did. 2 games, 1 year prepay. If I remember correctly, around this time they drop their prices a bit more for an end of they year holiday rush. So keep your eyes open for that.

I'm like 35 minutes from Englewood, NJ. I'd like to know a little bit more this Gamerang, too. Last time someone mentioned it in a GF thread, I never got any responses.

well this is a first

I had

pokemon sky
and
laevatein tactics both for the DS in my Q

had 2 open slot today and nothing ships ... Called up to ask why and they told me

ALL COPIES OF The games were shipped to people who had 1 at a time... it seems they are going to go the same route Netflix is going.. Those on lower plans get picked first ....

WOW GAMERANG PRICES SUCK

Individual 1-Game-Out
(1 Out-at-a-time, no monthly limit!) $17.95
2 Games-Out
(2 Out-at-a-time, no monthly limit!) $24.95
3 Games-Out
(3 Out-at-a-time, no monthly limit!) $49.95***
($75.00 Refundable Deposit)
4-Games-Out
(4 Out-at-a-time, no monthly limit!) $59.95***
($100.00 Refundable Deposit)

50 bucks for 3 at a time.. gamefly is only 30
60 for 4 at a time gamefly is 37

LOL

told them if that is the case as soon as my credit is gone im gone... they thanked me and hung up

[quote name='slidecage']well this is a first

I had

pokemon sky
and
laevatein tactics both for the DS in my Q

had 2 open slot today and nothing ships ... Called up to ask why and they told me

ALL COPIES OF The games were shipped to people who had 1 at a time... it seems they are going to go the same route Netflix is going.. Those on lower plans get picked first ....

WOW GAMERANG PRICES SUCK

Individual 1-Game-Out
(1 Out-at-a-time, no monthly limit!) $17.95
2 Games-Out
(2 Out-at-a-time, no monthly limit!) $24.95
3 Games-Out
(3 Out-at-a-time, no monthly limit!) $49.95***
($75.00 Refundable Deposit)
4-Games-Out
(4 Out-at-a-time, no monthly limit!) $59.95***
($100.00 Refundable Deposit)

50 bucks for 3 at a time.. gamefly is only 30
60 for 4 at a time gamefly is 37

LOL

told them if that is the case as soon as my credit is gone im gone... they thanked me and hung up[/QUOTE]

Since we're complaining a bit. I hate how I can't specify that I only want 1 copy of a game for 1 system. Example: I want to play Batman and I don't care what system, just get me one. I put both ps3 and xbox360 in my Q. With 2 open slots, they send me two batmans! I just want 1. Let me specify that somewhere.

Gamearag prices are a bit much, but if I actually get 3 day turnaround vs. 7 day turnaround it may be worth it. Shipping to PA from MN is just so long. I did hear that there is a service in Canada where you pay an extra $1 a month and you can specify when you send your disc back and they'll send you the next game in your Q. I'd GLADLY pay for that.

I never think of it... the same game for both platforms (Xbox and PS3) to increase your chance of getting the game early. That's a pretty cool idea i have to say, but sadly, it doesn't do well for TWO games at a time. It does well for ONE game at a time though! Unfortunately, it's a pain for trophy/achievement whores... Only if you can synchronize both your achievements and trophies, that would be totally awesome! Eh, i need to stop dreaming...

Oh, i just got this from GameFly:

Thank you for contacting GameFly. We offer Gift Certificates in 1, 2, 3, 6 and 12-month increments for both our 1-game plan and 2-game plan. If you purchase a GameFly Gift Certificate, we will email the Gift Certificate directly to the recipient on the date you select or you can choose to print your Gift Certificate for hand delivery.

If you are interested in buying a GameFly Gift Certificate, please visit http://www.gamefly.com/gift-certificate/buy .

You may send the gift certificate to yourself and apply to this account without losing your rewards level.

If we can be of further assistance, please let us know.

So. you don't lose your reward status.

I just signed up for a two month trial of gamerang. I'll post some thoughts on turnaround time. Both gamefly and them are sending me a game at the same time.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']For what it's worth, I felt like I was being throttled...really badly. For about a half dozen games, 4 or 5 days were being added to the usual turnaround. The most annoying part, and why I definitely believed I was being throttled, was that after they received my games (which was taking more time than usual), nothing was being sent out for a couple of days, even though my queue would have 20+ games in it.

I messaged them about my displeasure with the recent service. They gave me the standard company line, about them not being able to control how quickly things get delivered by the USPS. I wasn't expecting much else, but after that, games started getting sent out at their usual speed.[/QUOTE]

This was about my situation with Gamefly. I noticed my game had been received and 4-5 days went by waiting... I also messaged and the next day my game shipped. It bothered me knowing that it took almost 8-10 days (2 days each way for shipping plus this 4-5 day hold to ship the game) to get a new title (I was on a 1 out plan). Needless to say, I cancelled with them for a second time.

I currently do an in game pass at Blockbuster since my location always seem to have the majority of new/hot games in stock for rent. Now it only takes a 5-10 minute drive to get a new title. :)

For $12.50 a month I might be willing to give them a second chance. I had the feeling I was also being throttled. They said they had a shipping center in Seattle, but my gmaes came from California and took 4-5 days to get here. I had "in-stock" games on the top of my list and ended up getting "medium" games form the bottom of my list. I could remove all but 5 high games I wanted and 4-5 days went by and nothing. It turned out cheaper to just wait and buy the games later once they hit lowered prices, since I would only be interested in keeping 3-4 games I rented, the rest were, "what was I thinking this is horrible".

For what it's worth, here is a breakdown of pricing and some impressions of service. I have both Gamefly and Gamerang right now.

All prices are with 6.5% tax (your state may vary). Gamerang doesn’t charge tax unless in CA. Turnaround times are based from Minnesota.

Gamerang
1 game out
$18 month / $172 year (manually applied discount, must email)

2 games out
$25 month / $239 year

Gamefly
1 game out
$16 month / $159 year (prepaid GC discount)

2 games out
$25 month / $235 year (prepaid GC discount)

1 game out - $13 cheaper than Gamerang with prepaid GC discount
2 games out - $4 cheaper than Gamerang with prepaid GC discount

Blockbuster
1 game out
$23.50 month

2 game out
$32.00 month

Gamerang Pros
Much better turnaround time for games, games are checked in within 1 to 2 days vs. 4 to 5 with Gamefly.
Better availability for games due to the smaller subscriber base.

Gamefly Pros
Loyalty plan – Earn $5 credit every 3 months.
Low price games if you want to Keep It.

Gamerang Cons
1 month until they introduce membership benefits on games.
Slightly money for 1 year plan.

Gamefly Cons
Very long turnaround time.
Low availability on new releases.

Blockbuster Pros
No waiting. Always have a game when you want.
Not worth getting the two game plan per reason above.

Blockbuster Cons
Most expensive option.
At the mercy of what is available in the store.
Limited Selection. May not have many copies of new/older games.

If you can afford the 1 year prepay plan it is way better to go with that than month to month. Blockbuster would be good, but the cost and availability is a risky proposition.

My Gamefly ends this month, and my Gamerang ends next month. Due to the turnaround times and in light of the new info, I may go with the prepay 1 game with Gamerang as the turnaroud time is the read deal maker for me. True, the benefits they're planning on rolling out may not be as good as Gamefly, but it's a matter of turnaround and availability for me.

Thoughts, opinions?

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back