Current Generation Price Falls

keyshawn

CAGiversary!
A few years ago during the previous generation switch (from PS1 to PS2, 64 to GC, and the death of dreamcast), I recall that prices for the games of that previous generation were slashed a lot (especially dreamcast, though that's another story) while I do recall get a few good snags (like Driver 1 and Medal of Honor: Frontline for $ 8 or 9 each, a good deal for me at least) when major retailers were phasing out that generation of games and most of them were on clearance.

What I am asking, fellow CAG'ers, I know it may sound a bit ignorant, (I haven't really paid to the video game scene recently because of college/life),
I was wondering if the prices for the now current gen. games (PS2/X-box/GC) are likely to decrease even more as they are now, or are the prices expected to bottom relatively soon ?

On a related note, how long will major retailers stock the current-gen. games ?
I saw in the one other thread that CC is having a clearance, but is that just for certain games ? Will other stores be following suit soon and hold the clearance sales ?

Regards,
keyshawn

@ CC we are seeing alot of games dropping in price, not as cheap as DC games got, but w/ the new special 9.99 platinum titles for xbox things are getting cheaper...oddly though the other day we sent basically all bargain games below $7 back in a pullback.

It seems like a lot of current generation games are dropping in price much faster than in the PS1/N64 days. Either that or I'm more patient in waiting for drops now. I don't see current stuff dropping lower than $5, and the major titles will still probably sell for $15-20 like some PS1 games still do today. You can still get A LOT of good games cheap though when places like Circuit City or TRU clear stuff out, and most of that was before any next-gen things were out.

yea they dont get cheaper than 4.99 games at best buy and 1.96 games at circuit city.. or buy 2 1.96 games and get a 20 game. glcih... lol but games are already cheap enjoy the fun!!

If you want cheap games for the PS2, XBOX, or Gamecube, stop by a local EB Games they normally have about 50-100 different USED games under $5!!

Prices aren't gonna get any better on these clearances (can they get better???), since alot of people are fully willing to pay $10 or less for a new game, even if it sucks. Circuit City, Best Buy, and TRU all have had some sort of clearance in the past year, mostly for low selling games. Its generally random, and you just gotta keep a lookout.

Retailers will keep stock of current generation games as long as people are willing to pay for them, but I think the vast majority of leftovers from this gen will be under $20 by 2008.

5 years ago, when I was picking up Valkyrie Profile and Marvel v. Capcom 2 for 20 bucks each at Target clearances, online deal sites didn't really exist. I suspect that really cheap clearances and sales happened everywhere near the end of previous videogame generations, I just didn't know about them. I doubt many people knew about them the way CAGs and fatwalleters and all the other deal site readers do. If CAG was around ten years ago, I'm sure I'd have at least 2 copies of Panzer Dragoon Saga sitting on my shelf, which I don't.

Yeah, deals existed back then at the end of the last generation but they weren't as common as they were now. The 2 I remember EBGames.com had a lot of PS1 games for $7.99 new around Spring 1999 and KBToys.com had a huge Dreamcast and PS1 blowout in 2000 with $7.50 - $10 games for both systems (this was when Dreamcast games were still full price in almost every store).

Stores getting rid of Saturn stuff was also great around the same time period (1999). I remember going into EB and they were so desperate to get rid of their Saturn games (some were $0.99 new but nothing to special), that they were giving out brand new 3D Saturn controllers with each transacation where a Saturn game was purchased. Same with Toys R Us where they had the system for $29.99 brand new and games for $6 - $10 each.

It was fun back then because you really had to hunt for deals without any good deal sites around at the time, and with the internet not as popular, there weren't as many web stores that offered clearances. I like it better now because it's easier to find the deals but the downside is that the more popular the sites become, the harder it is to get in on these deals.

I love when systems go on sale for dirt cheap. I'll never turn down a system new in the box for under $50 again... God I remember standing in this store called 'Incredible Univeres' looking at stacks of Sega Saturns new in the box for $40, and 3DO's nib for $50. Plus all the games were like $3-7 each. I wish I had those now...

Im lucky enough to have bought a Nintendo Toploader when it was brand new for $40 on sale at ToysRus. I was getting back into nes, and my original nes was 'blinking' so I just bought the toploader. I shoulda bought 20 of them! lol

i doubt you will see tons of cheap Current gen games until Summer 2007 or Winter 2007.

It wouldnt shock me to see places stop carrying PS2 and gamecube games by spring/summer 2008

xbox i would say Fall 2007

I think PS2 will be around for longer than that. Didn't Sony say they system would be supported until 2010 like the PS1 was supported until 2005

[quote name='YoshiFan1']I think PS2 will be around for longer than that. Didn't Sony say they system would be supported until 2010 like the PS1 was supported until 2005[/QUOTE]

they might support it but that dont mean you will see the games at best buy or other major places

I still see PS1 games at Best Buy and Circuit City. Granted the selection isn't great (usually only a few games), but even a year ago, they had a whole section dedicated to PS1 (with 25 different games or so). I think PS2 games will be in stores for at least 3 - 4 more years.

I have to agree. How many tens of millions of PS2's are there in North America right now? They are not gonna abandon that market. I also think at $600, the PS3 is going to sell fairly slowly. They are not gonna dump games that 50 million people can play to stock shelves with games that 2 million people can play.

[quote name='YoshiFan1']I still see PS1 games at Best Buy and Circuit City. Granted the selection isn't great (usually only a few games), but even a year ago, they had a whole section dedicated to PS1 (with 25 different games or so). I think PS2 games will be in stores for at least 3 - 4 more years.[/quote]

I expect new PS2 games to be made for quite a while. None of the new gen will sell nearly as many systems as PS2 did, and it's probably far easier to program for than the newer system.

bread's done
Back