Daft Punk to score Tron 2.0 soundtrack

Mr. Anderson

CAGiversary!
Feedback
21 (100%)
http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/daft-punk-scores-tr2n-soundtrack-1003947855.story

Daft Punk, the French electronica duo known for their robot personas, have been tapped by Walt Disney Pictures to compose the score for "TR2N", an update of the studio's 1982 science fiction classic "Tron", Billboard has confirmed.

The film, currently in production, is tentatively scheduled for a 2011 release.

The musicians, Guy-Manuel de Homem-Christo and Thomas Bangalter split their time between Paris and Los Angeles, where they have have assembled a new recording studio for the TR2N project.

I thought this deserved it's own thread. I am a HUGE Daft Punk fan, so Disney basically just got me to see Tron 2 the first day it comes out. :D

I heard about this a few days ago (AIC News), and I'm still fapping over how AWESOME THIS IS. Only thing that could be any better would be if they could get Wendy Carlos in to do some sort of musical cameo, though I know she doesn't really seem to be working anymore (and she is like, 70 years old or something, so it's understandable if she's retired permanently).

[quote name='darthbudge']Daft Punk is cool and all... but Tron 2 just sounds like it is headed for disaster.[/QUOTE]

EXPLAIN YOURSELF.

I mean, we've got the original creator and director of TRON producing it, Bruce Boxleitner (Tron himself) and Jeff Bridges are back, good writers are on board, and we've got guaranteed awesome music that is just an incredibly slick pairing that I myself never would have dreamed of because it's TOO AMAZING. And it's a damn miracle that Disney is doing this at all, seeing as how they'll probably have to invest a budget into this thing about 5 times the size of the original's box office take (it only made about $25 million), so this is pretty damn gracious undertaking for them to begin with.

Also did you or did you not see this?:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPGWYAUF3v4

I guess I could understand if someone would rather they not make a sequel at all, but I really don't understand what is making this look like a "disaster"-in-the-making. That's pretty extreme.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']I heard about this a few days ago (AIC News), and I'm still fapping over how AWESOME THIS IS. Only thing that could be any better would be if they could get Wendy Carlos in to do some sort of musical cameo, though I know she doesn't really seem to be working anymore (and she is like, 70 years old or something, so it's understandable if she's retired permanently).[/QUOTE]

This man speaks the truth. Honestly, I thought that Wendy Carlos was dead!

Clockwork Orange soundtrack = hot shit.

[quote name='camoor']Orbital was going to do the entire soundtrack to Event Horizon, and look how that mess turned out.

Just sayin...[/QUOTE]

Thomas Bangalter (one half of Daft Punk) did the entire soundtrack to Irréversible, and look how that turned out (hint: it was great, despite the movie being a horrible piece of shit).

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Before I was a little shady of TR2N because it was a remake, but after hearing Daft Punk I am so in. When is it due out?[/QUOTE]

What the hell are you talking about? What makes you think it's a remake? From day one, it's been a sequel. Please, familiarize yourself with the basics about this project before you say this stuff. It's currently projected for release sometime in 2011.

[quote name='edwardya']i loved daft punk when they collaborated with kanye[/QUOTE]

They never "collaborated" with Kanye West (who sucks dick, btw). Kanye West just licensed a sample from Harder Better Faster Stronger (which in turn is based on a sample from Edwin Birdsong's "Cola Bottle Baby"), and based his shitty song on it. Hell, that wasn't even actually Daft Punk in the music video for Stronger; it was a couple of actors, wearing Daft Punk's robot costumes. As far as I know, Kanye has never even met either of them.

In fact, Guy-Manuel de Homem-Christo (one half of Daft Punk, in case you aren't aware) even specifically pointed out in an interview that, in regards to West's song, "It's not a collaboration in the studio."

Looks rad going by that really shitty quality trailer.

Having Daft Punk do the soundtrack is sick. I still like to watch the Interstella 5555 DVD every once in a while.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Thomas Bangalter (one half of Daft Punk) did the entire soundtrack to Irréversible, and look how that turned out (hint: it was great, despite the movie being a horrible piece of shit).[/quote]

The soundtrack to Event Horizon was not bad either, in fact it's been sampled quite a bit. Unfortunately the quality of the soundtrack typically has little to do with the quality of the overall movie.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']EXPLAIN YOURSELF.

I mean, we've got the original creator and director of TRON producing it, Bruce Boxleitner (Tron himself) and Jeff Bridges are back, good writers are on board, and we've got guaranteed awesome music that is just an incredibly slick pairing that I myself never would have dreamed of because it's TOO AMAZING. And it's a damn miracle that Disney is doing this at all, seeing as how they'll probably have to invest a budget into this thing about 5 times the size of the original's box office take (it only made about $25 million), so this is pretty damn gracious undertaking for them to begin with.

I guess I could understand if someone would rather they not make a sequel at all, but I really don't understand what is making this look like a "disaster"-in-the-making. That's pretty extreme.[/quote]

Oh shit. That is awesome. I didn't realize they had all those original people on board. I honestly only knew that it was supposed to be released but nothing else about it.

I was figuring it was gonna be some hollywood remake of Tron with Vin Diesel playing Tron and Micheal Bay directing, or some shit like that.

bread's done
Back