Dammit Cops, Quit Beating People Up For No Reason

fullmetalfan720

CAGiversary!
Feedback
11 (100%)
http://www.kare11.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=822268
It was a traffic stop like many others: 42-year-old Derryl Jenkins pulled over in February as he drove through north Minneapolis, stopped for speeding as he allegedly went 15 miles over the limit.
The stop was recorded on a seven minute tape from the squad car of officer Richard Walker.
Minneapolis Police Chief Tim Dolan says he reviewed the arrest video and says Officer Walker's actions all appear to be very appropriate.
In a statement released Monday, Chief Dolan also said some of the actions of responding officers did give him concern and because of that he is asking for an outside review by the FBI. "Additionally, the incident has been referred to my Internal Affairs and Training Units for a review of our arrest procedures in dealing with suspects resisting arrest," Dolan said.
Derryl Jenkins says Officer Walker refused to explain why he was stopped that night, and he asked for a police supervisor. When Walker said one wasn't available, Jenkins says he got out of the car to get his driver's license from his back pocket.
That's when he says Walker tried to tackle him. Backup arrived, and six officers helped Walker as Jenkins was punched, kicked and stunned three times with a Taser.
"I was nervous," Jenkins said as he recalled that night. "Very nervous. Very, very, very nervous."
Police claim Jenkins was uncooperative, that he smelled like alcohol and slurred his speech. Jenkins says he drank three beers with dinner that night, but insists he was not impaired, and is heard on the tape as he repeatedly asked, "What did I do wrong?"
"All I remember is getting out of the car, getting thrown down and feeling the punches," Jenkins said. "And those last words were, 'I can't breathe'."
Jenkins says he next remembers waking up to paramedics with cuts, bruises, chipped teeth and permanent damage to his thumb.
He spent four days in jail, but says he's never thought the arrest was racially motivated.
"I don' t want people to think, 'Oh, a black man angry with police," said Jenkins, who is African-American. "This isn't a black issue, this is a people issue."
Paul Edlund is Jenkins attorney, and says anyone who doubts his story need only watch the video. "It's incredible," Edlund said. "His palms are outstretched, they're flat. He's not in a combative position. He never bear hugs the officer, never swings at the officer, never punches him."
But worse than the beating, Jenkins says, was being criminally charged, accused of a felony for assaulting an officer.
Walker has never wavered from his version of the arrest, insisting in court hearings his actions were justified. And nine other policeman at the scene that night back up Walker in official reports, but Edlund says those, too, are an injustice.
"I think you can clearly see from the video that what happened was not right," said Edlund. "And then writing reports that are false is not right. And there should be accountability for that."
A judge agreed, after watching the squad car video finding Walker had no reason to suspect Jenkins of DUI and dismissing the charges against him.
But Jenkins says he may not have been so lucky without the tape, and that others who don't have proof on video could be the victims of police.
"They just did that way too easy," said Jenkins. "And then lied about it and tried to cover it up. That's the kind of stuff that scares me."
Jenkins says he hopes the video spurs change in the Minneapolis Police Department, but he has not filed a complaint with the city or a civil lawsuit.
He says, though, he is reserving that option.
http://www.startribune.com/local/53308937.html?page=1&c=y
There's the video.

All I can say from watching the video, is that they never should have started beating him up. It seems that the police across the country have become really violent lately.

Is he driving a PT Cruiser in that video? It looks like he's driving a PT Cruiser in that video. If he's driving a PT Cruiser in that video, then I stand behind the police actions.

*cough*

I'm done. To the General Gaming Forum! Away!

Hrmph. Americans. Cops here in Canada know how to do this shit properly.

They just tazer you to death or drop you on the outskirts of town on a freezing night with barely any clothes on.

And again, some of the quotes in your signature have been mined and/or stripped of context. Might want to fix those up. If not for the sake of accuracy, for the sake of grammar. The Jefferson quote just looks weird as it is.

Has their ever been a study done on the profile of the average American police officer? I seriously want to know, becasue it seems to me that at the very least, the average police officer is more aggressive compared to the average citizen.

Lets be honest, one reason that at least some people become cops is because they like the power. These power hungry assholes are the ones we need to weed out.

[quote name='The Crotch']Hrmph. Americans. Cops here in Canada know how to do this shit properly.

They just tazer you to death or drop you on the outskirts of town on a freezing night with barely any clothes on.

And again, some of the quotes in your signature have been mined and/or stripped of context. Might want to fix those up. If not for the sake of accuracy, for the sake of grammar. The Jefferson quote just looks weird as it is.[/QUOTE]

dudley_doright.jpg

Him?

[quote name='JolietJake']Has their ever been a study done on the profile of the average American police officer? I seriously want to know, becasue it seems to me that at the very least, the average police officer is more aggressive compared to the average citizen.

Lets be honest, one reason that at least some people become cops is because they like the power. These power hungry assholes are the ones we need to weed out.[/QUOTE]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanford_prison_experiment

This would educate you greatly. We discussed it a lot in my intro Psych class.

i can understand tackling him. he gets out of the car to reach for his wallet. dumb idea. but after that... well he'll probably get a nice settlement from the city at least.

[quote name='JolietJake']Has their ever been a study done on the profile of the average American police officer? I seriously want to know, becasue it seems to me that at the very least, the average police officer is more aggressive compared to the average citizen.

Lets be honest, one reason that at least some people become cops is because they like the power. These power hungry assholes are the ones we need to weed out.[/QUOTE]
Yup.
[quote name='mykevermin']I'm sure race has nothing to do with it.[/QUOTE]
Watch the video:
http://www.kare11.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=822268&catid=391
"...But says he never thought the arrest was racially motivated."
Seriously, GTFO. You seem to think that every time the police do anything to a black person, it's racism. I suppose when the police taser people for no reason, who are white, that's racist? You've got to realize, more often than not, it is not racism, but the fact that a large amount of cops these days are crazy. The get on powertrips and just start beating people up, or tasering them for no reason. They get off on "dominating" another person. I'd suggest that you look at the link georox posted.
[quote name='The Crotch']
And again, some of the quotes in your signature have been mined and/or stripped of context. Might want to fix those up. If not for the sake of accuracy, for the sake of grammar. The Jefferson quote just looks weird as it is.[/QUOTE]
CAG has a 10 line limit for sigs. I cannot have the full quotes in my signature. They are too long. I have seen them. I use shorter versions that I have also seen. I know what the Kennedy one is talking about. You really shouldn't jump to conclusions. Also, what do you really care? It's my signature. I can have it how I want.

[quote name='fullmetalfan720']"...But says he never thought the arrest was racially motivated."
Seriously, GTFO. You seem to think that every time the police do anything to a black person, it's racism. I suppose when the police taser people for no reason, who are white, that's racist?[/QUOTE]

So when Henry Louis Gates says is IS racism, you come up with a dozen fantastical explanations as to why it couldn't be, refusing to believe his word at face value. Now, in this case, you fully support what the victim of police violence is saying.

Pick and choose based on your preconditioned belief systems, babydoll. Pick and choose.

[quote name='mykevermin']Pick and choose based on your preconditioned belief systems, babydoll. Pick and choose.[/QUOTE]

heh. This is funny. I mean, we all do it, to an extent, but to see Myke accuse other people of it... wow.

[quote name='mykevermin']So when Henry Louis Gates says is IS racism, you come up with a dozen fantastical explanations as to why it couldn't be, refusing to believe his word at face value. Now, in this case, you fully support what the victim of police violence is saying.

Pick and choose based on your preconditioned belief systems, babydoll. Pick and choose.[/QUOTE]
In order for something to be racism you have to show that there is unequal treatment, just because someone yells racism doesn't make it so.

This thread already has plenty of examples of white people being mistreated by cops, what is your reasoning for those?

[quote name='mykevermin']So when Henry Louis Gates says is IS racism, you come up with a dozen fantastical explanations as to why it couldn't be, refusing to believe his word at face value. Now, in this case, you fully support what the victim of police violence is saying.

Pick and choose based on your preconditioned belief systems, babydoll. Pick and choose.[/QUOTE]

Wow, myke, you're blinded by your own idealistic crusade. You can't really have made that last statement and believe there's any semblance of logic in it.

I don't remember commenting on the Gates situation. Could you please pull up the posts where I said this?

Back on topic, though, something's wrong with this stop from the beginning. No municipality I know of tells it's officers to open the door of a suspect during a routine traffic stop. This guy motioned 4 times for the driver to open the door by pulling on the handle and pointing. Unless he saw a bottle of booze or a firearm in the passenger seat, there was no reason for this because he immediately motioned as he walked up to the car. Then he physically opened the door himself, and did it with an attitude. Then took the keys away and threw them on the roof of the car similarly. Unless there was a warrant for the owner's arrest, a cop is never going to open your door.

The problem with police, as I see it, is that when things don't go their way, or they realize they haven't any probable cause to stop a citizen and may have made a mistake, they do everything in their power to instigate a situation requiring overwhelming force to justify their primary action. It's just human nature to cover your ass if you think you might be wrong, and cops have every tool available to escalate a situation to their advantage. They know they always have the upper hand within the legal system.

What I can't believe is that a judge saw this tape and found the officer's actions perfectly legal. I'm curious as to what he did to get pulled over in the first place because the cop had a bad attitude at the onset. If it was just a minor traffic offense, there was no justification for this kind of stop and I'm voting "Driving While Black" as the primary motivation.

[quote name='bmulligan']I'm curious as to what he did to get pulled over in the first place because the cop had a bad attitude at the onset.[/QUOTE]

Read the OP. It's the first sentence.

[quote name='fullmetalfan720']
CAG has a 10 line limit for sigs. I cannot have the full quotes in my signature. They are too long. I have seen them. I use shorter versions that I have also seen. I know what the Kennedy one is talking about. You really shouldn't jump to conclusions.[/quote]Noted. That's all ya had to say. Thouh the grammar of the Franklin quote still makes me *grumble grumble*, and whether or not you know what they mean, they are still misleading. [quote name='fullmetalfan720']Also, what do you really care? It's my signature. I can have it how I want.
[/QUOTE]Hmm. Next time you contradict me on something, remind me to say, "It's my post. I can have it how I want."

Now back to whatever it was that was already happening.

[quote name='Bmac1775']hahhahahaha[/QUOTE]
The internet! Where men are men, women are men, and little boys try to impress both groups with tough-guy antics like faux laughter at a video of a man being killed.

[quote name='The Crotch']The internet! Where men are men, women are men, and little boys try to impress both groups with tough-guy antics like faux laughter at a video of a man being killed.[/QUOTE]

Was the man killed or was he just stunned?

[quote name='The Crotch']The internet! Where men are men, women are men, and little boys try to impress both groups with tough-guy antics like faux laughter at a video of a man being killed.[/QUOTE]
HAHHAHAHAHHAHA

and gay comments like yours internet warrior....HAHAHAHHAHAHA

[quote name='The Crotch']...

Is this one of those games where the only way to win is to not play?[/QUOTE]
When you are dealing with someone like that, yes.

On this other forum I frequent, one moderator's avatar is a cat wearing a helmet. That should explain why I don't link to it directly. Moreso, that cat avatar has animation where a targeting monocle appears and the cat fires a laser and missile. I'm ... uh ... not exaggerating with that last sentence.

yes....hahahahaha...wait there i go again....hummm, being insulted by these two geeks is like well, Im not sure what its like but look fellas, i wasnt the one who stole your lunch money, I wasnt the one that put you in a locker, and yes while I may have fallen into the "meathead" stereo type....Ive have never done any of that so take it easy...go find the ones who did... I dont hug trees and when a shit head is killed, i say...hum, one less shit head to cause problems. You on the other hand may have went to speak to the nice gentle man to see what is wrong with him, but it appears as though those people were afraid and call....guess who...the police. Im sure you have never needed them but i guess some people do.

And yes you will probably come back with a very clever comback, I get it...what with you superior intellects and all but its cool, you win.

Last edited by a moderator:
My mistake. I didn't realize fullmetal had made fun of you, too.

Off topic, I noticed your location is NC. After decades of drug abuse, one of my aunts fell in love with her first cousin. They moved to NC so they could be married. Is inbreeding common in NC?

[quote name='Bmac1775']yes...and Im very hurt by it...very......[/QUOTE]

It's OK. Kentucky is pretty effed up to. The state motto is: The age of consent is 16; 14 if she's family.

So, I'm-a say joke account troll, then? Good. Case closed.

For all one people interested in what the story is with that video that I posted...

The guy who died, Robert I-can't-spell-your-last-name was a Polish immigrant who came to Canada to live with his mother. He did not speak English. Due to a mix-up, he was left in the airport for about half a day prior to the RCMP's arrival on the scene. According to eyewittnesses - admittedly, not people for whom I have a lot of faith - he was tasered at least three more times after the first one incapacitated him.

[quote name='Bmac1775']yes....hahahahaha...wait there i go again....hummm, being insulted by these two geeks is like well, Im not sure what its like but look fellas, i wasnt the one who stole your lunch money, I wasnt the one that put you in a locker, and yes while I may have fallen into the "meathead" stereo type....Ive have never done any of that so take it easy...go find the ones who did... I dont hug trees and when a shit head is killed, i say...hum, one less shit head to cause problems. You on the other hand may have went to speak to the nice gentle man to see what is wrong with him, but it appears as though those people were afraid and call....guess who...the police. Im sure you have never needed them but i guess some people do.

And yes you will probably come back with a very clever comback, I get it...what with you superior intellects and all but its cool, you win.[/QUOTE]Well just so foc wasn't completely wrong...

For the love of whatever deity you believe in, learn to use proper punctuation.

bread's done
Back