"Damn" deemed too offensive for Microsoft's delicate ears

ThatDamnDave

CAGiversary!
Feedback
12 (100%)
I've been not only forced to change my XBL handle (ThatDamnDave) but I've also been banned one day because someone complained that it was offensive.

Basically, I was angry and wanted to make a post about it, so there. Next time I see xXNippleFukerXx online, I'll be sure to not get offended.

ThatDarnDave? ThatDangDave? Just doesn't have the same ring....

That's really stupid. Microsoft makes lots of stupid decisions lately..

Hope my name doesn't get targeted next..

I got a warning playing Rock Band online that "Tits" wasn't appropriate as part of my character's name. I'm betting some douchebag you're playing against just flags it and you get in trouble with no review or anything. It sucks - I pay $50 a year and if I want to call myself Dick Vaginastein I should be allowed to. It's simple. Don't play online if you are easily offended.

[quote name='javeryh']I got a warning playing Rock Band online that "Tits" wasn't appropriate as part of my character's name. I'm betting some douchebag you're playing against just flags it and you get in trouble with no review or anything. It sucks - I pay $50 a year and if I want to call myself Dick Vaginastein I should be allowed to. It's simple. Don't play online if you are easily offended.[/quote]

Apparently a friend of mine was allowed to use The Douchebags as her band name on GH3. Seems a bit edgier than Tits McGee or something like that, but ya never know.

Yeah, I guess the lack of uniformity is what is frustrating about it. Must have been one of the Catan gamers. Lousy board gaming conservative soccer moms!

Wonder if I can change it to DamnDamnDave. They obviously don't review them and it might just check to see that it's different. Will have to ponder that one.

[quote name='ThatDamnDave']Yeah, I guess the lack of uniformity is what is frustrating about it. Must have been one of the Catan gamers. Lousy board gaming conservative soccer moms!

Wonder if I can change it to DamnDamnDave. They obviously don't review them and it might just check to see that it's different. Will have to ponder that one.[/quote]

You can - I changed "Tits McLovin" to "Tits-McLovin" and so far so good.

[quote name='javeryh']You can - I changed "Tits McLovin" to "Tits-McLovin" and so far so good.[/quote]

That's because it was the lack of hyphenation that was offensive before :D

They should spend more time monitoring the voice chat on their service and ban any morons who think they have to swear every three seconds or use racial terms.

[quote name='Nolimits']My rules are, if its in the bible, it aint a curse[/QUOTE]

Reminds me of bash.org:

*** Now talking in #christian
-Word_of_God- Welcome Abstruse to #christian I am a Bible Bot. For more info type: /msg Word_of_God !info
!kjv numbers 22:21
Numbers 22:21 -- And Balaam rose up in the morning, and saddled his ass, and went with the princes of Moab. - (KJV)
*** SageRider sets mode: +b *!*@c211-30-208-111.rivrw3.nsw.optusnet.com.au
*** Word_of_God was kicked from #christian by SageRider (Please dont Swear)
I know I'm never going to be able to come back in this channel again after this, but damn was it worth it to see that...

[quote name='Trenchalicious']They should spend more time monitoring the voice chat on their service and ban any morons who think they have to swear every three seconds or use racial terms.[/QUOTE]

Then they would lose subscribers($$$$). Thats not going to happen.

[quote name='javeryh']I got a warning playing Rock Band online that "Tits" wasn't appropriate as part of my character's name. I'm betting some douchebag you're playing against just flags it and you get in trouble with no review or anything. It sucks - I pay $50 a year and if I want to call myself Dick Vaginastein I should be allowed to. It's simple. Don't play online if you are easily offended.[/QUOTE]

I see your point on this Jav, but I think of another way. Why should I pay $50, to go online, have to see all this (and naked pictures of guys/women doing all sorts of things) when I want to play a game online? I don't have to witness this if I go to an arcade, so why should I online? Why shoudl it be that I can't play an online game if my nephews are over, because if they walk in the room, God only knows what they'll see?

I have no issue if we want "mature" rooms where anything goes. I'm all for it. But, there should be areas in society where you can play the game without all that, if that's your choice. If you can't have separate, then I think it should lean towards a mall mentality, what is acceptable in public (at the mall). If its ok there, it's ok in the game.

[quote name='lordxixor101']I see your point on this Jav, but I think of another way. Why should I pay $50, to go online, have to see all this (and naked pictures of guys/women doing all sorts of things) when I want to play a game online? I don't have to witness this if I go to an arcade, so why should I online? [/QUOTE]

Note: I agree with you 100% but just found this funny considering how many times I've put in "ass" "tit" and "dik" on high score tables on arcade games.

I might just use ThatDammDave and call it a day. That-Damn-Dave is a possibility but too long, so screw it. I appreciate the comments on what was clearly a personal issue but underscored some of the ridiculous dichotomy that you find in a "complaint-action" system instead of an approval system.

Who knew the sensibilities of Catan players were so delicate.

(That Damn Dave perhaps...)

[quote name='lordxixor101']I see your point on this Jav, but I think of another way. Why should I pay $50, to go online, have to see all this (and naked pictures of guys/women doing all sorts of things) when I want to play a game online? I don't have to witness this if I go to an arcade, so why should I online? Why shoudl it be that I can't play an online game if my nephews are over, because if they walk in the room, God only knows what they'll see?

I have no issue if we want "mature" rooms where anything goes. I'm all for it. But, there should be areas in society where you can play the game without all that, if that's your choice. If you can't have separate, then I think it should lean towards a mall mentality, what is acceptable in public (at the mall). If its ok there, it's ok in the game.[/quote]

I see your point - maybe there should be more of a purpose to the different "zones" they've established. If I sign up for the "free for all zone" then anything is fair game (assuming I'm playing against others in the same zone). If I get paired up with someone in the "family zone" then the censors can kick in... I don't know. I wouldn't want my kids playing online since I know what's out there...

You have a valid complaint Dave, unlike this douchebag who's story was posted on the Consumerist today whining his gamertag of "theGAYESTgamer" was flagged by a player as offensive.

[quote name='lordxixor101']I see your point on this Jav, but I think of another way. Why should I pay $50, to go online, have to see all this (and naked pictures of guys/women doing all sorts of things) when I want to play a game online? I don't have to witness this if I go to an arcade, so why should I online? Why shoudl it be that I can't play an online game if my nephews are over, because if they walk in the room, God only knows what they'll see?

I have no issue if we want "mature" rooms where anything goes. I'm all for it. But, there should be areas in society where you can play the game without all that, if that's your choice. If you can't have separate, then I think it should lean towards a mall mentality, what is acceptable in public (at the mall). If its ok there, it's ok in the game.[/quote]

You have a good point except that the majority of games played on xbox live are mature rated games anyway and having separate rooms for mature players would be pointless.

Alright, I've come to a choice:

ThisDamnDave

I love M$, but fuck them for having a problem with a screen name I've used in a variety of public settings for a decade because one person found it off putting.

[quote name='ThatDamnDave']Alright, I've come to a choice:

ThisDamnDave

I love M$, but fuck them for having a problem with a screen name I've used in a variety of public settings for a decade because one person found it off putting.[/quote]

It was most likely more than one person, but I'm glad you're not getting rid of the 'damn.' I think if enough people report it, MS asks you to change it but doesn't do much else.

Another CAG, pimpinc333, was asked to change his gamertag, so he did, to pimpinc33. MS hasn't bothered him since.

[quote name='ThatDamnDave']Alright, I've come to a choice:

ThisDamnDave

I love M$, but fuck them for having a problem with a screen name I've used in a variety of public settings for a decade because one person found it off putting.[/quote]

So are you cancelling your Live account?

No, I switched it to the aforementioned ThisDamnDave instead. I get that they have to buckle to complaints, but damn isn't a curse word at this point in society, so I feel like they should have let it slide.

My anger was probably additionally motivated by the fact that the dashboard wouldn't let me change it without logging in...which I wasn't allowed to do until I switched it. Frustrating. The solution was loading a game first, if this happens to anyone else.

I wonder how Ron Simmons feels about this situation.... Ron?

RonSimmons.jpg

[quote name='ThatDamnDave']No, I switched it to the aforementioned ThisDamnDave instead. I get that they have to buckle to complaints, but damn isn't a curse word at this point in society, so I feel like they should have let it slide.

My anger was probably additionally motivated by the fact that the dashboard wouldn't let me change it without logging in...which I wasn't allowed to do until I switched it. Frustrating. The solution was loading a game first, if this happens to anyone else.[/QUOTE]

I just saw someone with the word rape in their xbox live name, it was RAPE_ and then something after it, and I immediately thought of this thread =/

[quote name='Trenchalicious']They should spend more time monitoring the voice chat on their service and ban any morons who think they have to swear every three seconds or use racial terms.[/quote]

Yes. I report people.

I recently had to create my first gamertag (took forever doing it with trial and error) and it would not let me create one with Damn in it...

I've been some variation of Assface for about a decade of online gaming (since Starcraft). Assface, MayorAssface, SenatorAssface, SeñorAssface, ProfessorAssface. I've even had the name on Cartoon Network's game a while back... I forget the name of it, but it was a browser-based online card-like game, but with pins instead of cards. ~6 years ago. I've never encountered any sort of objection.

If Cartoon Network is cool with Assface, Microsoft should be cool with DamnDave.

i dont understand why any of you people would have a problem with microsoft for this. you have a curse word in your gamertag. i mean like honestly, what the hell are you complaining about.

i mean i curse all the time but i have the decency not to curse in public around random people.

[quote name='Koggit'] If Cartoon Network is cool with Assface, Microsoft should be cool with DamnDave.[/quote]

I think I might use that argument word for word the next time I talk to customer service.

bread's done
Back