damn dreamcast

alonzomourning23

CAGiversary!
Feedback
26 (100%)
I have never had a system that was mine stop working, and I own tons of system. I've had broken systems, but they were given to me broken (unknowingly). I have ps1 and ps2 first run systems that work fine, a fully working vectrex, and working first models of atari and intellivision, plus many other systems. Never had a problem with anything.

Then I met the sega dreamcast. In short, it hates me. My first one broke a year or 2 after it was released, it just stopped reading the discs. My second one worked a year or so ago, but I figured I'd play bangai-o today. I pop in the game and the disc suddenly won't load. About 20% of the time the screen just stays black. If I leave it running for a while and it appears to occasionally recognize a disc is present, saying "please wait while disc is being checked", the sound increases (like when it's about to load a game, not like it's having trouble) but that box comes down in a second or so and nothing happens.

edit: Damn, it took 20 minutes of sitting on the system screen but the game finally kicked in. I wonder if it was a temporary problem, or if it will continue to do this on future loads. I don't really want to turn it off to find out though.

edit 2: Ah damn, it died. I went to the option menu, it loaded then, but 2 seconds later it sent me back to the system screen.

did you drop it or something. mines fell and messed up the lens. i had to adjust it again, now it reads all games, but is tempermental with cd-rs.

if you plan on adjusting the lens, it must be done at a millimeter at a tme. A small L key works fine to do the turning. Don't squeeze that metal knob, you will mangle it. a small L key fits right in it and you can start turning.

Theres a fan in the front right side of the machine, by any chance are you blocking that little ventway? My guess is the cd-laser is off/broken.

Yeah the DC is the only system I have ever had any problems with. Maybe it is just mine though considering my friends works like a charm.

I will have to try that fix you posted SMMM, thanks!

Hmm, I was reading the tutorial link SMMM posted and I remembered my PSONE stopped spinning discs about 3 years ago. Do you have a link like that for PSONE repair, SMMM?

[quote name='Psyc']Hmm, I was reading the tutorial link SMMM posted and I remembered my PSONE stopped spinning discs about 3 years ago. Do you have a link like that for PSONE repair, SMMM?[/QUOTE]

I've never taken apart a PS1 before, so I wouldn't know. There's a good chance it might, though.

I had a dreamcast that chu-chu rocket killed, i loaded up the web browser on the chu chu rocket disc and my DC suddenly stopped being able to read the controllers! I got a new one soon after that which I still use today but that was very odd.

[quote name='Metal Boss']I had a dreamcast that chu-chu rocket killed, i loaded up the web browser on the chu chu rocket disc and my DC suddenly stopped being able to read the controllers! I got a new one soon after that which I still use today but that was very odd.[/QUOTE]

From my knowledge, controller port burn-outs are usually caused by the controller having a short; which is why I lost 2 dreamcasts by using the same controller. so sad.

[quote name='Looshi']My DC is built like a beast. It was a launch Dreamcast and still works great.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, same here. Got mine 9/9/99 and it's still going strong.

[quote name='Captain_Insano16']Anyone have a broken one they want to part out? I need a power switch to get mine working again.[/QUOTE]

I have a couple with busted controller ports. $15 shipped for one sound ok?

[quote name='SMMM']I have a couple with busted controller ports. $15 shipped for one sound ok?[/quote]

Would you be willing to just sell the power switch? I don't want the whole thing ~

[quote name='Captain_Insano16']Would you be willing to just sell the power switch? I don't want the whole thing ~[/QUOTE]

Could you explain what it is exactly and how I can take it out?

dreamcasts are very unreliable , check the lens for dust , and if you have been using those easy to download and burn games bootable on your dreamcast then it's most probably that, it really messes up your lens even if you use dummy files and burn it on the outside of the cd !

[quote name='SMMM']Could you explain what it is exactly and how I can take it out?[/quote]

Here is a picture of it - basically just unscrew the screws on the bottom and take the top off - then there are 2 screws by the switch part and a few down the board that have to be removed to get the twisted cable from under the board - then unplug it from the back - see the picture with all of the yellow on it - the one below here is what it looks like outside of the DC - just make sure the little black part that clicks is intact - that is what is broken on mine - Thanks

ps - ignore the red arrows - they were already on the picture

prod2550no.jpg

dc32qp.jpg

I bought my dreamcast from a CAG around late november. Its still working fine luckily (*Crosses Fingers*)

The only system I had trouble with was the PS2 (The original bulky one, bought it around launch and it got DRE's)

bread's done
Back