Dark Shadows Complete Series Set - $599.98, limited to 2500

shrike4242

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1043 (100%)
In the "holy crap" department, MPI Home Video is releasing the complete series set for the original Dark Shadows. Covers 1,225 episodes across 131 DVDs. Comes in at $599.98, plus shipping, limited to 2,500 copies. It's a very large coffin-shaped case that houses 22 Amaray multi-disc packs.

http://www.mpihomevideo.com/Store/Detail.asp?ProdID=10933

Info about the show:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Shadows

Article about the release:
http://io9.com/5892360/let-dark-sha...5-original--episodes-in-one-gargantuan-boxset

And yes, I know it's $600, though it's only about $4-5 per disc. ;)

1,225 episodes?? holy shit. what can they possibly cover in all that time?

being that it's only 2,500 copies though, it's worth the price tag alone just as a collectible.

[quote name='DestroVega']1,225 episodes?? holy shit. what can they possibly cover in all that time?[/QUOTE]

It was essentially a vampire soap opera, so... whatever is covered in soap operas, I assume.

Soooooaaaaaaapppppppp

[quote name='seether254']IMDB lists only 594 episodes not the outragous 1500+. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0059978/
[/QUOTE]

That link says this:

Technical Specs
Runtime: 30 min (1225 episodes)
Sound Mix: Mono
Color: Black and White (1966-1967) | Color (1967-1971)
Aspect Ratio: 1.33 : 1
See full technical specs »

So I'm not sure what you're looking at!

Also, Wikipedia lists the number at 1225 as well (which matches the OP and IMDb)

Also, I doubt this is publicity for the Johnny Depp movie... if anything it's the opposite: they're attempting to take advantage of interest created by the Johnny Depp movie to sell crazy expensive sets of the original show!

I actually heard this was a pretty good show back in the day. Too bad I for one cannot afford this set. Thanks for the heads up on the show though.

Holy Guacamole! I remember that show! They are probably releasing it is conjunction with the revamp (no pun intended) of the one Depp will be in. I would love to get this one but its just a tad too pricey. Thanks OP!

Vampire Soap Opera from the 60's = veeeeery high suck factor.

Anyone curious about the series should check out the 1991 Revival series they did. It's only 10 hours long and $12.99 at Amazon. Much more palatable.

[quote name='Kerig']Anyone curious about the series should check out the 1991 Revival series they did. It's only 10 hours long and $12.99 at Amazon. Much more palatable.[/QUOTE]
This must be what I remember watching as a kid because Dark Shadows just rang a bell as vampires and witches.

Info on the new movie based on the show, enjoy!

Tim Burton's Dark Shadows Debuts a New Banner
Source: Dark Shadows March 14, 2012

The official website for Tim Burton's Dark Shadows is now online and it includes a brand-new image of the cast, as pictured below the official description.

In the year 1752, Joshua and Naomi Collins, with young son Barnabas, set sail from Liverpool, England to start a new life in America. But even an ocean was not enough to escape the mysterious curse that has plagued their family. Two decades pass and Barnabas (Johnny Depp) has the world at his feet--or at least the town of Collinsport, Maine. The master of Collinwood Manor, Barnabas is rich, powerful and an inveterate playboy...until he makes the grave mistake of breaking the heart of Angelique Bouchard (Eva Green). A witch, in every sense of the word, Angelique dooms him to a fate worse than death: turning him into a vampire, and then burying him alive. Two centuries later, Barnabas is inadvertently freed from his tomb and emerges into the very changed world of 1972. He returns to Collinwood Manor to find that his once-grand estate has fallen into ruin. The dysfunctional remnants of the Collins family have fared little better, each harboring their own dark secrets. Matriarch Elizabeth Collins Stoddard (Michelle Pfeiffer) has called upon live-in psychiatrist, Dr. Julia Hoffman (Helena Bonham Carter), to help with her family troubles. Also residing in the manor is Elizabeth's ne'er-do-well brother, Roger Collins, (Jonny Lee Miller); her rebellious teenage daughter Carolyn Stoddard (Chloe Moretz); and Roger's precocious 10-year-old son, David Collins (Gulliver McGrath). The mystery extends beyond the family, to caretaker Willie Loomis (Jackie Earle Haley) and David's new nanny, Victoria Winters, played by Bella Heathcote.

Dark Shadows hits theaters on May 11th.

[quote name='zenintrude']That link says this:

So I'm not sure what you're looking at!

Also, Wikipedia lists the number at 1225 as well (which matches the OP and IMDb)

Also, I doubt this is publicity for the Johnny Depp movie... if anything it's the opposite: they're attempting to take advantage of interest created by the Johnny Depp movie to sell crazy expensive sets of the original show![/QUOTE]

If you had actually used your eyes and looked at how many episodes the actor who plays Barnabas was in you would see where i got my figure from again 594. :roll:

However i looked at the episode lists and it seems like they listed the episodes like 1.1, 1.2, 1.3 and so on. So maybe thats where the 594 that IMDB has came from?

[quote name='Taco5']Holy Guacamole! I remember that show! They are probably releasing it is conjunction with the revamp (no pun intended) of the one Depp will be in. I would love to get this one but its just a tad too pricey. Thanks OP![/QUOTE]

New Johnny Depp movie? I could be into....

[quote name='Double O Slevin']
Tim Burton

everyone looks stylized into stupidity [/QUOTE]

Oh. I really should have expected this.

[quote name='Jesus_S_Preston']New Johnny Depp movie? I could be into....

Oh. I really should have expected this.[/QUOTE]

Cast looks great. I hate Tim Burton remakes.

The show lasted 5 years on NBC. A daily 30 minute soap opera. I've seen a bunch of these before. No way would I ever have time to watch all of these.

[quote name='seether254']If you had actually used your eyes and looked at how many episodes the actor who plays Barnabas was in you would see where i got my figure from again 594. :roll:

However i looked at the episode lists and it seems like they listed the episodes like 1.1, 1.2, 1.3 and so on. So maybe thats where the 594 that IMDB has came from?[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure if you're heard of such a thing, but sometimes not every actor is in every episode
emot-ssh.gif

It's crazy but true, especially in the case of soap operas where characters fall in an out of favor.

So if you'd actually used your brain to scroll down and look at where IMDb always puts the total episode number, you would have seen 1225... the 1.1 thing just means "Season 1, Episode 1" since it's a soap opera and the episodes themselves have no titles and there are no distinct seasons since soap operas run perpetually until they are cancelled (if you scroll down that episode list, this makes more sense)

Magic!

(p.s. we already know that your eyes are suspect since you referenced some claim that there was an "outragous 1500+" episodes produced... where did you get that number?!)

[quote name='zenintrude']I'm not sure if you're heard of such a thing, but sometimes not every actor is in every episode
emot-ssh.gif

It's crazy but true, especially in the case of soap operas where characters fall in an out of favor.

So if you'd actually used your brain to scroll down and look at where IMDb always puts the total episode number, you would have seen 1225... the 1.1 thing just means "Season 1, Episode 1" since it's a soap opera and the episodes themselves have no titles and there are no distinct seasons since soap operas run perpetually until they are cancelled (if you scroll down that episode list, this makes more sense)

Magic!

(p.s. we already know that your eyes are suspect since you referenced some claim that there was an "outragous 1500+" episodes produced... where did you get that number?!)[/QUOTE]

Sorry if im not the authority on soap operas fuckwad but I know what 1.1 means for an episode i was just stating the obvious that they may have fucked up on their episode count. And all others please excuse the language but im a little shmamered right now. :beer:

[quote name='seether254']Sorry if im not the authority on soap operas fuckwad but I know what 1.1 means for an episode i was just stating the obvious that they may have fucked up on their episode count. And all others please excuse the language but im a little shmamered right now. :beer:[/QUOTE]

Their episode count, which can be seen on several places on the show's page (Technical Specs, Full Cast and Crew, etc.), is correct at 1225... the fact that you can't comprehend the fact that a show can exist in which an actor only appears in half of the episodes is irrelevant. They didn't fuck up, you did... accept that fact and move on with your life! :)

And although I have never seen an episode of Dark Shadows (or any soap opera for that matter) I do have a generalized cultural awareness, functioning eyeballs, and a working logic center... all things you appear to not have going for yourself. Perhaps you have killed them with your excess drinking!

[quote name='GizmoGC']The show lasted 5 years on NBC. A daily 30 minute soap opera. I've seen a bunch of these before. No way would I ever have time to watch all of these.[/QUOTE]

30 minutes a day for five years... surely you can spare 30 minutes a day!

I've read that they've completely sold out of the 2500, so I'd be surprised if Amazon got any more in. Might be worth jumping on for flipping if they do, though that's too much of a financial commitment for me right now.

Btw the Burton film is obviously a comedy take on the material...if you watch the trailer, he's clearly going after an Addams Family like vibe which is a total 180 from the old series. Can't say I blame him, I think we've had enough of the serious, brooding vampire fare.

[quote name='phantomfriar2002']Btw the Burton film is obviously a comedy take on the material...if you watch the trailer, he's clearly going after an Addams Family like vibe which is a total 180 from the old series. Can't say I blame him, I think we've had enough of the serious, brooding vampire fare.[/QUOTE]

Thought the trailer looked very good. We'll see the outcome.

First Tim Burton fucks Mars Attacks in the ass and now Dark Shadows. He needs to stick with original ideas, all his remakes or re imaginings or whatever you want to call them blow dick.

[quote name='tcrash247']First Tim Burton fucks Mars Attacks in the ass and now Dark Shadows. He needs to stick with original ideas, all his remakes or re imaginings or whatever you want to call them blow dick.[/QUOTE]

TB's Mars Attacks was amazing.

There are some copies listed as being available at certain retailers...Family Video has it for $414. I'm thinking of maybe going for it because I can see resale value being extremely high ( assuming MPI doesn't keep turning out copies of it).

[quote name='guardian_owl']Could be they will continue to sell it, just not in the fancy packaging after the initial 2500.[/QUOTE]
Looks like I was partially right
First batch of 2500 are already sold out to retailers and were limited numbered editions which featured "Autographed Postcard by Jonathan Frid (Barnabas Collins)."

2501+ will not be numbered, will not feature an autographed postcard, and will not be available until early July. So depending how long they continue to reprint it there is the possibility it will drop in price in the future.

I watched a blooper reel of this show on YouTube... Was this show live? There's straight up crew workers running through the frame in numerous scenes.

[quote name='ssjmichael']Available to order from Amazon for $413.99. This is the non-limited edition I think and doesn't include the autographs and such][/QUOTE]

That's still the limited edition :)

The non-limited hasn't been announced yet (that I've seen) but I've been told it will be announced shortly and will be out this summer -- same exact set just without the autographs and such.

[quote name='phantomfriar2002']That's still the limited edition :)

The non-limited hasn't been announced yet (that I've seen) but I've been told it will be announced shortly and will be out this summer -- same exact set just without the autographs and such.[/QUOTE]

From a post at blu-ray.com, citing tvshowsondvd

Amazon Are taking pre-orders for the Box Set... I would expect it to be for the NON- Limited Edition Box Set

More News from http://www.tvshowsondvd.com

"...there are going to be TWO "coffin" sets. As originally announced, the first one will be available on April 10th, and is a "Limited Numbered Edition" that includes an "Autographed Postcard by Jonathan Frid (Barnabas Collins)." That item is still on, and retailers will begin delivering it to customers a week after this coming Tuesday. The studio informs us that fans who ordered it directly from MPI's special advance Dark Shadows fan club mailing have received the set early, and we can confirm that we've heard from multiple fans in the past two days who say they have their set in-hand.

But here's the rub: MPI tells us that this first set with the Signed Jonathan Frid Card, even before the official street date, is as good as "sold out." Pre-orders from retailers have been so high that all the Limited Numbered Editions (there were apparently 2500 made, as one of our readers who had a copy already said his set was marked "#n out of 2500") sold out even before they were shipped from the plant. Of course there will always be some customers who pre-order a title and don't follow through with their purchase at the end, so - as our MPI contact put it to me - resourceful fans might be able to find a few sets remaining at various retailers. You'll probably have to look around, though. Good hunting!

Since interest is so high, though, MPI doesn't want to disappoint fans who missed on the first set, so they are going to offer a SECOND version of the set. The important information I overlooked is the description about what makes this second set different from the first. After all, the set still comes in the coffin packaging, still contains the same number of discs, and costs the same. What was different? This wording from MPI explains: "This Deluxe Edition does not include an autographed postcard from Jonathan Frid (Barnabas Collins) or a Limited Edition serial number." [note: emphasis is ours]

The May 8th date mentioned in the press release a few weeks ago was meant to be the original release date for this SECOND set...but we even got confused at that time, because at the same time as we received the press release we also got a new image of the FIRST set...which we now know it is because the image includes the Autographed Postcard by Jonathan Frid in the picture. But that wasn't MPI's intention, and we wrongly put those together and said the first set was delayed. Nope, our mistake again...that was for the second set. And then the second set got pushed back from May 8 to July 10th. The reason for that delay on the SECOND set, we're told, is because "the custom coffin boxes are big and heavy and made overseas, and manufacturing and shipping take time."

So the second set of Dark Shadows - The Complete Original Series will be available as an "unlimited" release on July 10th, while the original first set of Dark Shadows - The Complete Original Series: Limited Numbered Edition will be available on April 10th. We hope that this clarifies things, and we regret any confusion due to our errors. Mea culpa. The unlimited set isn't up for pre-order yet, but here are links to pre-order the limited set...maybe you can still get lucky!"

I believe MPI left a comment directly on that Amazon product page too (posted as a review):

Dear Dark Shadows Fans,

DUE TO POPULAR DEMAND:
We are releasing a second print of Dark Shadows coffins (also known as The Deluxe Edition). It is virtually the same as the Limited Edition (releasing on April 10th) however that version was limited in quantity and was offered early to fans. This Deluxe Edition coffin (the one you see on this product page) does NOT include a serial # nor does it include a Jonathan Frid signed postcard. If you missed out on that, I am sorry but they were very limited in quantity.

The good news is, you can still get your hands on this amazing coffin collection. We did try to price it as reasonable as possible as no expense was spared in building this set.

In summary:
Limited Edition = April 10th = includes autograph and serial #
Deluxe Edition = July 10th = No autograph and no serial #

Enjoy!!!

Sincerely,
MPI Home Video

[quote name='seether254']honestly for this price i would want this to be limited to like 500 not 2500.[/QUOTE]

Don't you buy steelbooks at exorbitant prices that don't usually even have limits? If so, you're not really one to talk about "for this price blah blah blah"

I believe MPI left a comment directly on that Amazon product page too (posted as a review):

Fair enough, but if that's the case and they're not selling the Limited April release through that link (which is the same one they WERE selling the limited pressing through), Amazon ought to take down a) the release date, which still says April 10th and b) the specs for the set, which still lists the autographs as being in that release.

Either way, since it's basically going to be repressed just without the autographs, I'm sure there will be better deals down the line for those who don't want to shell out $400. The extremely collectible nature of it is undoubtedly going to be lessened seeing as it's going to come out again in a couple of months, just sans the autographs.

Agreed, Amazon needs to update the listing to reflect whether it's the non-LE, which it does appear to be. I don't know much about the show tbh, but $400 doesn't sound like that bad of a value for the sheer amount of content included. I mean that's for 131 discs, in a sweet looking case. It's essentially $3.16 per disc, and a breakdown of just $0.33 and episode which isn't bad at all.

[quote name='ssjmichael']Agreed, Amazon needs to update the listing to reflect whether it's the non-LE, which it does appear to be. I don't know much about the show tbh, but $400 doesn't sound like that bad of a value for the sheer amount of content included. I mean that's for 131 discs, in a sweet looking case. It's essentially $3.16 per disc, and a breakdown of just $0.33 and episode which isn't bad at all.[/QUOTE]

I agree, It's not bad for all the content, I just think if this was a real, one-time run of 2500 copies, the collectible nature of it would be exponentially higher than it will be since they've told everyone they're going to press more (just without the signed photos). If that's the case and it sits around for a while, I would imagine you will see lower priced copies eventually as time goes on and better deals to be found.

It looks like Amazon did indeed have the LE for sale as some have received it from them. They've also dropped the price to $389 for those that ordered it from there. Amazon did at one point have a pre-order page up for the LE after it was sold out, which I believe is what MPI was referring to.

I'm not interested in buying this (not too familiar with it), but hopefully amazon drops the price of the Deluxe version that low as well.

I got mine from amazon via ups yesterday... it's massive! and then today I got an email from them that they're going to refund me $24 for a low price guarantee so it ended up being $389.99... amazing really for a 131 disc set with the autograph & number and all...

Yeah it's quite a great value for all that's included. I'm almost glad the show was before my time because otherwise I may be $400 poorer right now lol

Wow sucks for people who ordered day one... or is this a reprint?

Edit: Ooops.. right on the product page it says: NOTE: This Deluxe Edition (a second printing) is not serialized and does not include a signed postcard by Jonathan Frid (Barnabas Collins).

bread's done
Back