Ionotropic

CAGiversary!
Feedback
15 (100%)
Update:
iconamazon.gif
Dark Souls Hardcover Guide $13.74

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
I stumbled upon this whilst browsing. Happy preordering!

http://www.bookdepository.com/Dark-...9783869930480?b=-3&t=-26#Bibliographicdata-26

This is the direct link for the 5% discount. (thanks Jodou & Bumslie)
http://www.bookdepository.com/bts?ut...er-Academic-11
Looks like you need to go through the link & then apply promo code BTS2011 at check out on the top.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Japakneez']FuturePress is the best. If a game has deep gameplay then FuturePress is the exact publisher you want on your game. Their Bayonetta and Vanquish guides destroy anything else out there. They can put out guides for expert players...even better than the internets! The guides themselves are also well-designed and nice to look through.[/QUOTE]

Sold me! Now if they can just wait for payday...

[quote name='Japakneez']FuturePress is the best. If a game has deep gameplay then FuturePress is the exact publisher you want on your game. Their Bayonetta and Vanquish guides destroy anything else out there. They can put out guides for expert players...even better than the internets! The guides themselves are also well-designed and nice to look through.[/QUOTE]

I would argue that Piggyback beats them, they tell me EXACTLY what I need to know on everything, plus I feel their layouts are a lot better looking than FuturePress. For sure Future Press beats Prima and Brady, but Piggyback definitely gives them a run for their money

If I've got my copy of the game on pre-order at ganestop, would it be cheaper to get the guide there? I thought they usually gave a big discount on the guide when you buy the game...

They give 10% off if you buy the guide with the game and an additional 10% for card members. So if the guide retails at 34.99 there then you get $7 off making it roughly $28. Better question is do you mind waiting to have it shipped or do you get it day one.

[quote name='Althax']If I've got my copy of the game on pre-order at ganestop, would it be cheaper to get the guide there? I thought they usually gave a big discount on the guide when you buy the game...[/QUOTE]

I've never seen a collector's edition Future Press guide at GameStop, just the paperback versions. I guess it's possible that it'll be available in-store, but I didn't see it on their site (yet).

Thanks for the answers. I wasn't sure if future press was carried at GS or not. Seems like I'll be ordering it online.

Definitely picking one of these up. Futurepress and Piggyback guides are infinitely better than the garbage that Brady and more so Prima give us.

[quote name='cag1000']I wonder if the guide that comes with the game would be enough, either way I just ordered the guide?:)[/QUOTE]

I will just tell you from my experience with Future Press guides that this will be GREAT. Even if the Dark Souls CE came with a physical gude I would still get the Future Press guide. I feel you will get a better quality of a guide with F.P. The Future Press guides are usually 350-400 pages. I'm so happy Future Press is making this guide. Also its even better that it's CE only and no paperback.

[quote name='ZxT Vendetta']Definitely picking one of these up. Futurepress and Piggyback guides are infinitely better than the garbage that Brady and more so Prima give us.[/QUOTE]

:applause: I love Piggyback also, F.P & P.B. show how real game gudes are made!

I've never seen a fp guide and rarely buy guides with the inernet being so full of walkthroughs and in depth guides. However, I've always preferred having a book to look through over having to read on a laptop.

I'm excited to see how good it really is because prima and brady guides are often barely useful and have a lot of filler pages. I was very disappointed with the borderlands guide...

[quote name='Althax']I've never seen a fp guide and rarely buy guides with the inernet being so full of walkthroughs and in depth guides. However, I've always preferred having a book to look through over having to read on a laptop.

I'm excited to see how good it really is because prima and brady guides are often barely useful and have a lot of filler pages. I was very disappointed with the borderlands guide...[/QUOTE]

FP guides are VERY nice. I have they bayonetta one and was nothing but inpressesd

I decided to bite on this yesterday, reasoning that if Amazon ever listed this guide it would likely depict $34.99 as the list price, and you can hardly do better than $12.06 (34%) off of that for a FuturePress CE guide. Even if Amazon lowered the price before its release (as it tends to do for regular guides), I doubt that it'd be lower, if even at the same amount, as what you'd save buying the guide through BD.

Long story short: If you're on the fence about this in terms of whether you'd like the guide (and not because of financial problems), just take the plunge. ;)

[quote name='Bizzquik']Anyone know how long delivery takes?
(3-day express mail? standard "snail mail"?)[/QUOTE]
Probably 3-4 weeks since it's coming from the UK.

[quote name='Bizzquik']Anyone know how long delivery takes?
(3-day express mail? standard "snail mail"?)[/QUOTE]

They will send it out for FREE using Royal Mail. I ordered a book on Aug. 20 and it arrived today Aug. 27. So a week is not bad for FREE delivery from U.K.

Also I never got a shipping confirmation but it's Book Depository so there is never a worry and the book showed up MINT!

Yeah, I ordered one just so I can lock in the price. It's still a long ways out but seeing how the DE:HR went up in price after release and how Amazon isn't carrying it... I didn't want to take the chance. Thanks for the code.

[quote name='Bumslie']They will send it out for FREE using Royal Mail. I ordered a book on Aug. 20 and it arrived today Aug. 27. So a week is not bad for FREE delivery from U.K.

Also I never got a shipping confirmation but it's Book Depository so there is never a worry and the book showed up MINT![/QUOTE]

Thanks for sharing your past experience with BD. That's encouraging.

I've pre-ordered 7 strategy guides from Barnes & Noble for games coming out later this year and am having them shipped via Express shipping. I'd wondered if I'd made a mistake - ordering a guide from BD that may be only slightly cheaper but take weeks longer to arrive from across the ocean - but your words make me feel better.

I've bought textbooks and other stuff from them in the past and usually their delivery is just as fast as most US sites (besides Amazon of course.) So yeah, they ship fast and are very trustworthy.

I decided to get one of these. My amazon preorder of the game was paid for with very cheaply-acquired credit, so $22 for an imported, hardcover guide from a respected publisher is pretty easy to swallow.

Thinking about getting this. Can't decide if I should or not.

Also while looking through the site noticed Future Press made a Portal 2 CE as well, I never heard of it prior to this.

[quote name='chimpmeister']Wow, I had no idea Future Press was doing a Dark Souls guide! This would make up for the lack of a strategy guide in the Dark Souls CE, wouldn't it? I know a lot of people are disappointed about the lack of a physical strategy guide in the CE (I am too), but a Future Press guide for the game should be 1000x better, shouldn't it?

Also, this doesn't say its a CE guide, just a regular one, though it IS hardback. Anyone know if Future Press may be releasing a CE guide (better cover, extra content, etc.)?[/QUOTE]

This is news to me. Doesn't it still come with a mini-strategy guide? That's what it still says on Amazon's website.

Edit: Nevermind. I saw the asterisk and small print. For shame.

[quote name='sneakysnake128']This is news to me. Doesn't it still come with a mini-strategy guide? That's what it still says on Amazon's website.

Edit: Nevermind. I saw the asterisk and small print. For shame.[/QUOTE]

The game is coming with a full digital guide also futurepress is only releasing the ce guide this time no non ce guide will exist

Anyone gave an idea on how long the pre-order sale will last? I need to wait till pay day on Wed but don't want to miss the discount...

Ordered 1 for myself. Thanks, TC! I've heard about the Future Press guides (kinda like Versus guides in the 90's, but better!). Can't wait for it to come!

Ok, someone managed to convince me to buy so I ordered it. Now I can't stop wondering if I should get the other CE's they still have on stock by FuturePress that never made it to the US.

[quote name='ithebigc']No, it was released in the US and is still available, just that it's a Valve store exclusive so less people know about it because it's not available on Amazon or normal brick and mortar retailers

http://store.valvesoftware.com/product.php?i=P0909[/QUOTE]It was also available online from Amazon.co.uk, which is where I picked it up. A few dollars cheaper than the one on the Valve store, though it's kept its value.

Looks like they went for the European Dark Souls cover for the Future Press guide. It looks fucking amazing... *sigh*

http://www.gamestop.com/strategy-guides/dark-souls-official-strategy-guide/93066

Also, Gamestop showing the guide for $24.99 for pre-order...deal, or no deal?

Edit: Looks like if you use your Powerup Rewards card, you get another $2.50 off the strategy guide bringing it down to $22.49! Shipping will cost $2.99 at the cheapest though, unless someone can quote me a promotional code for free shipping that we all can use.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='karamsoul']Looks like they went for the European Dark Souls cover for the Future Press guide. It looks fucking amazing... *sigh*

http://www.gamestop.com/strategy-guides/dark-souls-official-strategy-guide/93066

Edit: Looks like if you use your Powerup Rewards card, you get another $2.50 off the strategy guide bringing it down to $22.49! Shipping will cost $2.99 at the cheapest though, unless someone can quote me a promotional code for free shipping that we all can use.[/QUOTE]

Not sure I would order this from gamestop thy may rip out pages that they don't think I need

[quote name='z3razerviper']Not sure I would order this from gamestop thy may rip out pages that they don't think I need[/QUOTE]

ROFL @ RazerViper

Anyways, I tried adding a game to make the price go over $25 so I would qualify for free shipping, but the order has to contain "in-stock" items in order for that to have any effect. Also, a tax of $1.96 was added onto my order and the total came out to be something like $27.xx for just the guide, 10% off for Powerup, and cheapest shipping option ($2.99). This kills the deal, unless someone can come up with better coupons to use...

10% off from the UK book depository expires in 2 days, but considering the time difference it would probably be a good idea to do it tomorrow at the latest if you don't mind the longer wait for the guide.

Regarding amazon, the Deus Ex CE guide wasn't up for preorder until 12 days or so before it was due to be released, so it could be as long as another month before it is available for preorder on amazon.

[quote name='karamsoul']Looks like they went for the European Dark Souls cover for the Future Press guide. It looks fucking amazing... *sigh*

Edit: Looks like if you use your Powerup Rewards card, you get another $2.50 off the strategy guide bringing it down to $22.49! Shipping will cost $2.99 at the cheapest though, unless someone can quote me a promotional code for free shipping that we all can use.[/QUOTE]I can't really justify this for myself at the moment, but if you have GS credit to burn, a PUR Pro card, and some way to get free shipping (or if you could do PickUp@Store after the guide's release for a local store to save on shipping), this could be preferable to ordering from BD. Just note that because of tax, the price will always be at least $1-$2 more expensive with PUR Pro.

Also, ditto on the awesomeness of the cover. DANG. :shock:

Thanks for all the info in this thread, I finally broke down and preordered a copy of the guide from BD with the discount code. This will be my third Future Press guide, but the first "CE" style guide (I know it isn't technically a CE guide but being hardback it might as well be). Really looking forward to this guide, it should be excellent!

I almost ordered this, but part of the magic for Demon's Souls for me was the exploration, finding weapons, not knowing exactly where everything was, etc. If I get this guide it would probably ruin that for me in Dark Souls, because I know I wouldn't be able to resist peeking. I might get it later, though, after my first play-through or something.

Yeah, might be harder to get. Eh, I platinumed DS just using the Wikidot wiki (which was ridiculously informative); I'm assuming something similar will exist for this game.

Well, if you plan on purchasing Dark Soul's at release you can order the guide from the UK site, then it will take a week or two for it to get to you.

bread's done
Back