Ionotropic

CAGiversary!
Feedback
15 (100%)
Update:
iconamazon.gif
Dark Souls Hardcover Guide $13.74

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
I stumbled upon this whilst browsing. Happy preordering!

http://www.bookdepository.com/Dark-...9783869930480?b=-3&t=-26#Bibliographicdata-26

This is the direct link for the 5% discount. (thanks Jodou & Bumslie)
http://www.bookdepository.com/bts?ut...er-Academic-11
Looks like you need to go through the link & then apply promo code BTS2011 at check out on the top.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Kaiser499']So what's so great about the guide?[/QUOTE]

Its well written, thorough and extremely high quality throughout. The only thing that sucks is not wanting to look at it past the basics until I finish NG, so tempting.

[quote name='Ogami Itto']I honestly don't get this limited print run bullshit, if your company can't handle demand then let somebody else do it.[/QUOTE]
More along the lines of they don't want to print up a ton expecting high demand and then the audience isn't there. Until the customers hit the stores / place orders it's VERY easy to over-inflate demand for somewhat niche titles in your mind and on the inter-webs due to the echo-chamber effect. Right up until the Saturday after release I was convinced the movie Serenity was going to be huge, but it was just the echoing effect of the internet.

I picked mine up at GS after finding a store via GS's instore pickup ordering system. It was the only location not sold out. Good luck to all looking for these rare creatures in the wild.

[quote name='Ogami Itto']I honestly don't get this limited print run bullshit, if your company can't handle demand then let somebody else do it.[/QUOTE]

The problem is no one knows true demand... why overprint and flush any profits down the toilet?
This is not just a guide, its a hardcover, quality guide where costs are probably a bit higher.

I'm really surprised people are having a hard time finding this. I walked into my GS yesterday after work and they had at least 8 of them sitting on a rack behind the counter. I suppose after yesterday they may have become scarce though.

hey guys not sure if this helps or not but i brought my reciept back to ebgames and with my pro card they ended up taking 10 percent off for buying the game from them and 10 percent off for having the pro rewards card, could help if you dont want to wait for the guide considering the demons in dark souls are pros at killing stuff

[quote name='Kaiser499']Bayonetta never had a guide printed in the US.[/QUOTE]

There, fixed it for you. Yeah Future Press put out a guide in UK/Europe for it but not domestically. It was import only.

Every GS in my area was sold out except one, and no other retailers are carrying them here. I called them and they had 2 left, one was already on hold, and I put the other one on hold. Went there and picked it up during my lunch break. Saved some money using my GS rewards thing too.

My Gamestop had at least five displayed behind the counter. I snagged one for 8 bucks (trade in credit). No one else carries this game guide. Not Best Buy, Target, T R U, or Walmart, and it is apparent that Amazon is having trouble with getting this guide. I find that very strange.

When I got mine in gamestop earlier it was the only one I saw, it was just sitting on the counter when I walked up. They might have had more behind the counter or in the back but I don't know for sure. Glad I canceled my amazon order for this since they seem to be having issues.

Gamestops around me had them for a couple hours each and now listed out of stock from the site. There are a couple I could go to, but I will wait for amazon to restock since I've got amazon credit and a $10 promo from a customer service call earlier.

I'm still waiting for my BD order to ship. :(

Amazon also had trouble shipping out the Deus Ex CE guide (which was also published by Future Press); I wonder if the delays are due to FP not shipping them soon/fast enough, or Amazon not processing them ASAP. (GameStop seems to be able to have them on the shelves in time, though)

[quote name='ragingst0rm6']I'm still waiting for my BD order to ship. :(

Amazon also had trouble shipping out the Deus Ex CE guide (which was also published by Future Press); I wonder if the delays are due to FP not shipping them soon/fast enough, or Amazon not processing them ASAP. (GameStop seems to be able to have them on the shelves in time, though)[/QUOTE]I asked BD about it, and they said that they're waiting on shipment from their supplier, and they're not sure when they would get them back in-stock.

I ended up ordering one from GS.com (which is still showing in-stock) and it's already shipped today. I'd suggest there as an option, since if BD ships theirs out, I'll return mine back to GS.

[quote name='BackInBlack']So Amazon won't be getting these again?[/QUOTE]

Get to gamestop and buy it at MSRP now while you can. There is no guarantee FuturePress will reprint and no guarantee that amazon can fulfill their current orders.

If a 2nd printing is done i have no doubt it will be of smaller quantity. It can sell out just as fast and we have no idea how soon they can get a 2nd print out there.

Ok, thx, according to the gs site right now there are a couple locally that still have it. If if inventory still has them after 8 am tomorrow morning ill do instore pickup and get it on lunch break.

Like some other's ended up picking the guide up at gamestop.
Had them put it on hold for me and was very grateful to come into the store and it was still behind the counter waiting for me.

I canceled my Amazon preorder and picked up the guide at a local GameStop. I even got 10% off the guide for signing up for Power Up Rewards, so it actually ended up being cheaper than what I would have paid Amazon.

I picked up a guide at a local GS earlier today . . . looked to be fairly well available online before I went out to get it, and tonight it looks like the copies are disappearing from local stores (judging by the online availability checker). I wouldn't be surprised if this guide sold out, at least at Gamestop. Amazon is supposed to be getting a resupply from Future Press, and their page now shows "temporarily out of stock", and you can order copies. I wonder how many copies Amazon will be getting? Obviously enough to fill their preorders (though it sounds like many people are cancelling on them), with extras available for new purchasers.

Should be interesting to see if this guide stays in stock or sells out, and if so whether a reprint happens.

[quote name='ssjmichael']any coupons work for this at gamestop.com?[/QUOTE]My very defunct EDGE card number gave me 10% off, and I think PUR gives 20% off guides.

Besides that, it'll require a $25 or more order to get free shipping.

[quote name='CountChoculitis']

Oh and wtf with gamestops listing?

Great News! Your item is ready for PickUp@Store at the River Town Mall GameStop!
pe_new.jpg
Dark Souls Official Strategy Guide
Dreamcast[/QUOTE]

lol ya i noticed that and commented several pages back. Even threw up a pic, its hilarious.. they havent carried DC stuff in ages

wtfdarksouls.jpg

Got one at a GS last night. Anyone else notice the pack-in sheet goof? Under the Side Quests description, it's a copy and paste from their Deus Ex guide. :lol: Teh guide itself is great, though.

[quote name='shrike4242']My very defunct EDGE card number gave me 10% off, and I think PUR gives 20% off guides.

Besides that, it'll require a $25 or more order to get free shipping.[/QUOTE]

I couldn't get the free shipping to work but if you buy a filler game, you can get 10% off the guide which gets you a free filler game essentially...

I got paranoid so I searched for one locally at GS and found one somewhat nearby. The other place is about 30 mins out of the way (street driving, uggh). So as of last night, if any one is still looking, it's in Sunnyvale at the Cherry Orchard location (near PF Changs).

Top corners are a bit rounded but at least I got one. Got 20% off (PUR and game discount) and I'll return the standard edition at some point as I'm still waiting for my CE. I'll keep it sealed until I start playing the game although it's hugely tempting since all of the buzz on FP guides. This is my first one.

[quote name='eau']Does the free PUR get the 10% off guides, or only the paid PUR Pro does?[/QUOTE]I think I'm close to a year having not renewed the paid PUR program but my card number gets me: "EDGE Card Discount - 10% off in-stock used games and strategy guides. - Dark Souls Official Strategy Guide"

Ordered one for local pickup at Gamestop. The primary store I picked didn't have any, but the secondary one did. They also had a few left on the counter as of last night (Mayfield hts, OH - for those in the area).

[quote name='lpfan41k']I couldn't get the free shipping to work but if you buy a filler game, you can get 10% off the guide which gets you a free filler game essentially...[/QUOTE]

That is exactly what I did. :)

[quote name='eau']Does the free PUR get the 10% off guides, or only the paid PUR Pro does?[/QUOTE]

My understanding is the PUR pro, the paid version.

[quote name='shrike4242']I asked BD about it, and they said that they're waiting on shipment from their supplier, and they're not sure when they would get them back in-stock.

I ended up ordering one from GS.com (which is still showing in-stock) and it's already shipped today. I'd suggest there as an option, since if BD ships theirs out, I'll return mine back to GS.[/QUOTE]
Future Press David, they didn't receive their batch yet. They should get it on Saturday/Monday. Sorry for the delay.19 hours ago
Via FB, so that's the timeframe we're looking at. Arrive to them by Monday then however long it takes for Book Depository to process it and fulfill orders.

None of my gamestops have it even though the online thing says they do so I just ordered it online through them. I think at this point it may be everyones best bet. Not best price but oh well.
I did get 10% off, I have no idea why. I may have my old pur pro attached to my account but I was told it expired and asked if I want to renew the last time I purchased something in store? I said nope.

The guide is great, but still not as good as the Demon's Souls guide. The main problem that I find is that they do have all the information there but it could have been laid out better.

Such as, they have all the information re: being cursed. But under cursed they don't tell you where to go to cure yourself. Instead it says, get this item or this npc. Then you have to search for the item to find where to buy it, then find the npcs who sells it and find their locations.

lots of page turning.

[quote name='AukeySeven']The guide is great, but still not as good as the Demon's Souls guide. The main problem that I find is that they do have all the information there but it could have been laid out better.

Such as, they have all the information re: being cursed. But under cursed they don't tell you where to go to cure yourself. Instead it says, get this item or this npc. Then you have to search for the item to find where to buy it, then find the npcs who sells it and find their locations.

lots of page turning.[/QUOTE]
This has been my main complaint with Future Press: they don't cite page numbers! A good guide will be specific and say, see page X for details. I had the same issue with the Deus Ex guide, so for as much praise as FP gets the guides aren't exactly perfect.

just contacted amazon cs and asked if they had my guide (preordered in september) to ship but they said was back ordered and gave me $10 promo..

You can order them again now, so chances are high. I'm sure they got a ton of cancellations after people like me said to hell with them and got it at GS for less after PUR.

[quote name='Jodou']This has been my main complaint with Future Press: they don't cite page numbers! A good guide will be specific and say, see page X for details. I had the same issue with the Deus Ex guide, so for as much praise as FP gets the guides aren't exactly perfect.[/QUOTE]

interesting. I don't have my guide with me but isn't there a reference in the back that can help you locate all these? Page numbering would be quite the nightmare to deal with especially considering the tight deadlines these companies work with. I would hate to be the person that updates that.

Are there any videos that preview the guide (i.e. someone flipping through the pages)? This ended up in my personal Amazon goldbox and decided to put in an order even though it is out of stock/may be cancelled.

I got 4 gamestops in the area to try tomorrow. I didn't really want Dark Souls at the moment but I know I need the guide for the game so yeah, plus I can take advantage of a trade in deal at BB to get the game.

I stopped in at GS today and picked one up without any trouble. Very nice guide.

Just gotta cancel my BD order now. Not really worth the wait IMO.

bread's done
Back