Dark Souls II - Scholar of the First Sin - April 7, 2015

I guess I've gotten fairly lucky with drops?  I had several blacksteel katanas.  I also got a Lion Warrior helm my first time through there, which was pretty useful because it reduces fall damage.  

Blacksteel katanas are uncommon drops. I had about four of those after six runs, pre-gold serpent+2 ring.

Last edited by a moderator:
Got the vanquisher's seal after farming the invader spirit in the door of pharros and grave of saint's, it's interesting. I tested it on the drake keepers, bonfire asceticed to STR 2, and it hits surprisingly strong. I just wish the reach was slightly longer because if the enemy moves back even a little you will whiff your fists.

Dark Souls 2 Hotfix V. 1.06 Patch 

• The Bat Poison effect has been modified. Dark Fog interactions are gone, and PROCs occur only after melee strikes.
  • Avelyn tracking has been modified. It takes longer to reload and damage has been reduced.
  • Santier’s Spear damage has been reduced, and its stamina use has been modified.
  • Defense values for Cale’s Shoes and Leather’s Armor have been modified.
  • Abyss Ring damage multiplier has been modified.
  • Great Resonant Soul damage has been reduced.
  • Wrath of God damage has been reduced.
  • Resonant Weapon flat increase has been modified, presumably reduced.
  • Flame Weapon flat increase has been modified, presumably reduced.
  • The Power Stance glitch found in Ultrageats and Bandit Axes has been fixed.
  • The Enchanted upgrade path has been modified.
  • Spell duration has been modified, for some spells.
  • The parry animation for the Monastery Scimitar has been modified.

The update will apparently arrive June 2 for Windows, PS3 and Xbox 360. - src

Sounds like they nerfed a bunch of stuff people rely on for P vs. P. Even though I was holding my own there at the end before I finished up the game, it would have been nice to have some of those in place since I never used any of those items/spells.

New Story DLC, $10 each or $25 for the season pass for all 3.

The Crown of the Sunken King - July 22, 2014
The Crown of the Old Iron King - August 26, 2014
The Crown of the Ivory King - September 24, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ioo0ukZ6P-4

I am glad they're coming out with DLC, but they really need to stop emphasizing that there will be no DLC when they talk about the game before launch.  Geez.

Meh on the dlc, especially when they said there would be none. Like others, I'm waiting for more on Project Beast. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0YvHBxv-3Y

Yeah, I'm not sure how I feel about the DLC, especially as I never played the Dark Souls DLC. At this point since I spent so much time on the game not that long ago but haven't touched it in over a month, I'm kind of missing it. If the DLC came out now I might be tempted. I'm not sure how I'll feel by the time it is released though. At a certain point with these games I get so far removed from it, it feels like it would be a chore to pick it back up and get back into it. I still need to go back and finish off that plat in Demon's Souls for example. I also toyed with the idea of playing Dark Souls on the 360 again (since it is free right now). But nah - as much as I love the games, I got so much else to play.

Io - you should give the Dark Souls DLC a try if you never played it.  I picked that up a year after finishing the game, I think, and still had a lot of fun with it.  Actually, I think having a longer break between playing the main game so much and playing the DLC is good, so it feels more fresh.  I kind of burned out on Dark Souls 2 way more quickly than I did on the first game.  I think it was actually due to all the bonfire warping, so I never really felt connected to the world as much.

This is from a couple of weeks ago but I didn't find it until today, apparently those who don't purchase the DLC can still be summoned into DLC areas to coop, starting at 2:35.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZ91UymWXWk

I can't kill the Pursuer
If you can't kill him, you can go back to Majula and take the other path down to Heide as both paths eventually end up in the same location. One tip for Pursuer is you can parry his charge attack (when he moves his sword behind him and flies straight toward you and then swings), Parry with the buckler as soon as he starts the swing following the charge, once parried he will sit stunned for a bit and you can do free hits. If you want to make the fight really easy
Get him in the line of sight of one of the two big crossbows, parry him, and then run over and fire the crossbow to take out 95% of his health bar

I couldn't kill anybody, I'm pretty ashamed how many times I summoned someone for all the boss fights and I was a spellcaster.

Tried playing again as a melee and doing the boss fights by myself and damn are they a lot harder..

I played much more melee for Dark Souls 2 than I ever had for the previous 2 games. You definitely get better at it. The key, for me, was just learning how to dodge correctly.

Parrying always seemed too difficult for me - I don't think I've ever parried anything once in any of the 3 games. Yet I still made it to a platinum on Dark Souls 2 as a mostly melee character (and Dark Souls as a hybrid character).

Blabadon, have you tried summoning help? I could see having trouble solo, especially early on in the game - but with a few summons he goes down fast. Now just wait till you are in NG+ or NG++. You can wipe the floor with him up on that initial rooftop spawn area and not even have to deal with him where the crossbows are. That was very satisfying.

The most important component of increasing damage for melee is to upgrade your weapon, much more so than leveling STR/DEX/etc. in early game. What type of weapon do you plan on/are currently using? Or is there a certain fighting style you enjoy and maybe we can suggest a weapon for you.

You use a shield Kazeno? I find it is a really good safety net for melee. The Dranglec shield you find [customspoiler="shield location in the Forest"]after the pursuer boss (drop down into the smashed area) [/customspoiler] will carry you quite awhile, even un-upgraded (requires twinkling).

I was having the hardest time summoning and then I realized the ring wasn't equipped, which is even more lame since I had beat the Pursuer by then with parrying and three ballista shots.

I feel like I cheated. :p

Thanks for the help guys! Now to get out of The Lost Bastille.

Three things can muck up summoning. If you put on the engraved ring then you can only coop with people who have the ring equipped and engraved with the same god. If you burn an effigy you can't be invaded or see coop signs for a few hours. Or (by far the most common) you've joined the Company of Champions covenants which doesn't allow you to coop.

Congrats on the pursuer, you get the chance to fight him again straight up later, he is a bit like Nemesis from RE3 in that he pops up several times.

I've been exploring the various parts of Heide's Castle, meeting new NPCs, and been farming a bit in No Man's Wharf, which is one of my favorite areas in the Souls games yet. Only wish I didn't lose my humanity to an animation taking me too far over the edge of a bridge, but it's all fun so far here.

Dark Souls II Regulation 1.08 to Restrict Healing in PvP and Nerf Several Armor Sets (Full List)

Version Update 1.06 (consoles)/ 1.04 (PC):
  • Fixed abnormal amounts of damage being caused by certain weapons
  • An upper limit has been set to the number of Souls a player can earn when fighting off invading players
  • Fixed the phenomenon where the player is not able to talk to Licia of Lindeldt
  • Fixed the progression-stopping phenomenon at Heide’s Tower when the host falls off right before the Dragonrider Boss Fight
  • Fixed the phenomenon in Majula where the door does not open even after moved by Licia of Lindeldt
  • Fixed the progression-stopping phenomenon when the player talks to Laddersmith Gilligan in Earthen Peak
  • Fixed the phenomenon when the poison pond does not disappear when the windmill is burned down and immobilized
  • Fixed the phenomenon when that the poison pond returns after the windmill is burned down and immobilized, and the player is summoned into another world as a Blue Savior then returned to their own world
  • Fixed the loading screen issue when you lose a deathmatch in the Undead Purgatory
  • Fixed the issue where saved data cannot be reloaded if the game is shut down right after the player is caught by the Darksucker, in an oil puddle in Black Gulch
  • Fixed the phenomenon where items do not disappear from inventory if they are thrown away while they are also being used
  • Fixed the ability to use parry while back-stepping
  • Fixed the ability to use parry while invincible
  • Fixed the phenomenon where the player floats in the air if attacked while hanging onto a rope
  • Fixed the phenomenon in Brightstone Cove Tseldora when the Duke’s Dear Freja stops moving after defeating a summoned player in a NG+ playthru
  • Fixed the phenomenon where the Tseldora Den Key cannot be acquired after the confrontational event between Mild-mannered Pate and Creighton the Wanderer in Brightstone Cove Tseldora
  • Fixed the phenomenon where sound effects volume does not comply with the optional settings during the fight with the Looking Glass Knight
  • Fixed the jumping shortcut at the Shrine of Winter
  • Fixed the phenomenon where a summoning signature can be written near a bonfire in Belfry Sol Approach
  • Fixed the phenomenon where the floor trap in the Iron Keep is displayed differently on host and client worlds during multi-play
  • Fixed the phenomenon where the resume point is different from where the game was forced-quit after the player died
  • Fixed the issue where the selected message for deletion is not deleted, but a different message is deleted
  • Fixed the Halberd weapons sound effects that sometimes do not play when the weapon is swung
  • Adjusted the sound made when the Silver Eagle Kite Shield is hit
  • Fixed the issue where the player holding thrusting swords in both hands can cause continuous damage until the opponent’s stamina runs out
  • Fixed the phenomenon where the player dual-wields whips and only the Right-hand weapon hits the enemy
  • Adjustments were made so players can get out of the continuous attacks from Syan’s Halberd
  • Adjustments were made so players can get out of the continuous attacks from a player who is dual-wielding with a Straight Sword and with the Red Rust Sword in their left hand
  • Defender Greatsword can be enchanted
  • Fixed the phenomenon where a heavy attack while holding Pate’s Spear with both hands produces only one hit
  • Adjusted the Strong Attack of the Spider’s Silk when Dual-Wielding
  • Lucerne Strong Attack will penetrate shields
  • Corrected the description of the attack type for the King’s Ultra Greatsword
  • Corrected the description of the attack type for Manikin Claws
  • Corrected the description of the attack type for Drakekeeper’s Warpick
  • Fixed the Symbol Markings of “Galib, God of Disease” and “Caitha, Goddess of Tears” on the Name-Engraved Ring
  • Fixed the issue where the Information text sometimes does not display properly
  • Correction to the amount of damage inflicted against other players and enemies
  • Shortened the amount of time stunned when taking damage from multiple attacks

Regulation Update 1.08 (global):

•  Health Recovery Items can no longer be used during any PvP

•  Increased the matching range for users in online play

•  Over-all balance adjustments made to weapons, armors, accessories and spells

*Please refer to the detailed descriptions below.

Description of the modifications made to the main components and spells:

Increased the durability and lowered the defense levels of the following armor sets (Helm, Armor, Gauntlets, Leggings):
Havel’s Armor Set
Steel Armor Set
Gyrm Warrior Armor Set
Ironclad Armor Set
Old Ironclad Armor Set
Smelter Demon Armor Set
Alonne Knight Armor Set
Vengarl’s Armor Set
Mastodon Armor Set
Rusted Mastodon Armor Set
Old Knight Armor Set
Drakekeeper Armor Set
Velstadt’s Armor Set
Looking Glass Armor Set
Imperious Armor Set
Dragonrider Armor Set

Increases the damage of special single attack moves of the following weapons:
Bandit’s Knife
Manikin Knife

Increased the attack power of the following weapons: 
Thief Dagger
Broken Thief Sword
Foot Soldier Sword
Black Flamestone Dagger
Mail Breaker
Chaos Rapier
Spider’s Silk
Black Scorpion Stinger
Ricard’s Rapier (Strong Attack only)
Warped Sword
Manikin Sabre
Scimitar
Red Rust Scimitar
Melu Scimitar
Shotel
Monastery Scimitar
Uchigatana
Darkdrift
Chaos Blade
Blacksteel Katana (Strong Attack only)
Berserker Blade (Strong Attack only)
Bluemoon Greatsword
Royal Greatsword
Flamberge
Key to the Embedded
Zweihander
Smelter Sword
Drakewing Ultra Greatsword
Drakekeeper’s Ultra Greatsword
Lost Sinner’s Sword
Battle Axe
Bandit Axe
Bound Hand Axe
Hand Axe
Infantry Axe
Butcher’s Knife
Crescent Axe
Bandit Greataxe
Black Dragon Greataxe
Giant Stone Axe
Gyrm Greataxe
Morning Star
Reinforced Club
Craftsman’s Hammer
Blacksmith’s Hammer
Homunculus Mace
Mace of the Insolent
Black Dragon Warpick
Aldia Hammer
Barbed Club
Iron King Hammer
Malformed Skull
Giant Warrior Club
Old Knight Hammer
Drakekeeper’s Great Hammer
Dragon Tooth
Malformed Shell
Archdrake Mace
Spear
Winged Spear
Pike
Partizan
Stone Soldier Spear
Spitfire Spear
Silverblack Spear
Heide Spear
Pate’s Spear
Dragonslayer Spear
Channeler’s Trident
Gargoyle Bident
Great Scythe
Great Machete
Silverblack Sickle
Crescent Sickle
Full Moon Sickle
Scythe
Lucerne
Santier’s Spear
Roaring Halberd
Old Knight Pike
Helix Halberd
Blue Knight’s Halberd
Old Knight Halberd
Drakekeeper’s Warpick
Twinblade
Red Iron Twinblade
Curved Twinblade
Dragonrider Twinblade
Claws
Malformed Claws
Notched Whip
Spotted Whip
Sorcerer’s Staff
Witchtree Branch
Light Crossbow
Heavy Crossbow
Shield Crossbow

Decreased the amount of attack power of the following weapons:
Drangleic Sword
Defender Greatsword
Large Club (Strong Attack only)
Pickaxe (Strong Attack only)
Great Club (Strong Attack only)
Gyrm Great Hammer (Strong Attack only)

Increased the status values of the following weapons:
Shotel
Monastery Scimitar
Curved Dragon Greatsword
Chaos Blade
Flamberge
Key to the Embedded
Drangleic Sword
Defender Greatsword
Greatsword
Hand Axe
Infantry Axe
Butcher’s Knife
Giant Stone Axe
Gyrm Greataxe
Morning Star
Reinforced Club
Craftsman’s Hammer
Blacksmith’s Hammer
Gyrm Great Hammer
Spear
Winged Spear
Pike
Partizan
Stone Soldier Spear
Spitfire Spear
Channeler’s Trident
Gargoyle Bident
Full Moon Sickle
Helix Halberd
Blue Knight’s Halberd
Old Knight Halberd
Work Hook

• Decreased the durability of the Defender Greatsword and Watcher Greatsword

• Increased the enchantment statistics Defender Greatsword and Watcher Greatsword

• Increased the weight of the Defender Greatsword

• Decrease the weight of the Butcher’s Knife and Old Knight Halberd

• Status value added to the Handmaid’s Ladle

Decrease the amount of damage for the following weapons:
Malformed Skull (Strong Attack only)
Giant Warrior Club (Strong Attack only)
Old Knight Hammer (Strong Attack only)
Drakekeeper’s Great Hammer (Strong Attack only) o Dragon Tooth (Strong Attack only)
Malformed Shell (Strong Attack only)
Archdrake Mace (Strong Attack only)
Channeler’s Trident (Strong Attack and Dual-wielding)
Helix Halberd (Strong Attack and Dual-wielding)
Drakekeeper’s Warpick (Strong Attack and Dual-wielding)

• Increased the amount of self-inflicted damage when using the Chaos Blade

• Adjusted the hit detection for the Scythe of Want (Strong Attack only)

• Increased the physical cut rate of the Shield Crossbow

• Changes were made to the point of explosion and Blast area of the Old Sun Ring

• Changes made to the effect of the Gower’s Ring of Protection – does not negate damage anymore, will reduce damage received

• Improvements made to the penetrability of Soul Speak and Crystal Soul Spear

Improvements made to the tracking of the following Spells, Hexes, Pyromancy and Miracles:
Soul Bolt
Soul Shower
Shockwave
Soul Spear Barrage
Blinding Bolt
Perseverance
Caressing Prayer
Heavenly Thunder
Fireball
Fire Orb
Great Fireball
Great Chaos Fireball
Lingering Flame
Dark Orb
Dark Hail
Resonant Soul

Decreased the amount of stamina consumed for the following Spells, Hexes, Pyromancy and Miracles:
Soul Bolt
Soul Shower
Fire Orb
Great Fireball
Great Chaos Fireball
Lingering Flame
Iron Flesh

Increased spell usage for the following Spell and Miracle:
Cast Light
Unveil

Improvements to the durability damage for the following Spells:
Shockwave
Soul Spear Barrage

Decrease the number of multi-hits to the following Spells, Hexes and Pyromancy:
Soul Vortex
Firestorm
Fire Tempest
Chaos Storm
Scraps of Life
Lifedrain Patch
Darkstorm

Decrease the attack power of the following Miracle:
Blinding Bolt

Decreased the number of attunement slots required for the following Miracle and Pyromancy:
Unveil
Immolation

Decrease the number of uses for the following Miracles and Hexes:
Lightning Spear
Great Lightning Spear
Sunlight Spear
Emit Force
Soul Appease
Great Resonant Soul
Profound Still

Increase the damage for the following Miracle through correction to status values:
Lightning Spear
Great Lightning Spear
Sunlight Spear
Emit Force

Increase the hit radius for the Miracle:
Force

Increase the effectiveness of the following Pyromancy and Hex:
Iron Flesh
Whisper of Despair (duration and effect)
Decrease the self-inflicted damage of Immolation

Increase the speed of chanting the following Hexes:
Repel
Twisted Barricade

• Decrease to the amount of durability damage done from Dark Hail

• Increase the attacking power of Great Resonant Soul

Decrease character mobility while using the following items:
Amber Herb
Twilight Herb
Wilted Dusk Herb

The version and regulation update are set to be available on Friday, July 18th.

AKA the chuck the CE guide update since they changed half the armors and most of the weapons.

I am happy that the defenders great sword can be enchanted now as it is annoying how short the self-buff is.

Lots and lots of changes, wow. Was all of that really necessary? I don't like the decreased casts of the lightning spear variants. But then they also increased their damage. Strange.

I'm trying to remember which sword I used - it might have been the Defender Greatsword. Though I think I did switch to something else that could be enchanted.

They also nerfed my Velstadt's armor. Bastards ;).

Lots and lots of changes, wow. Was all of that really necessary? I don't like the decreased casts of the lightning spear variants. But then they also increased their damage. Strange.

I'm trying to remember which sword I used - it might have been the Defender Greatsword. Though I think I did switch to something else that could be enchanted.

They also nerfed my Velstadt's armor. Bastards ;).
Lightning Spears were the most overpowered magic. The amount you'd get was crazy. I'm surprised it took this long.

I'm glad the dex weapons are getting buffed, especially the Chaos Blade. Also, yay for no estus flasks in pvp. :)
The Chaos Blade was already top tier. I really don't understand some of these balance changes. I'm glad they're buffing bad weapons that nobody uses though. Hopefully it's significant enough to change things.

I'm not even playing this anymore, but it's awesome to see that the developer is paying close attention and fixing issues and balancing the game still.

I finished up my post game stuff yesterday so now i'm patiently waiting for the DLC. If anyone wants to co op or whatever, send me a friend request. My name is: jukeboxtimebomb

They really changed a lot of stuff. Probably the best part is that they fixed that glitch where you can't get the key at the end of the Pate/Creighton quest, as it really annoyed me that I went through all the trouble of finishing the quest line and got nothing in the end.

How To Access the Dark Souls 2 DLC - Crown of the Sunken King

[customspoiler='Steps to access the DLC in-game.']
Upon purchasing Crown of the Sunken King, an item called a Dragon Talon is added to the player's inventory. Examining the Talon reveals a cryptic clue to its use:

Legend has it that in the deepest reaches of the Black Gulch, behind a door locked from the inside, is a magnificent city built for a great sleeping dragon.

In order to reach the DLC material and enter Shulva, players must travel to the Black Gulch area from the original Dark Souls 2 campaign. Most directly approached through the Pit in Majula, visitors to the Gulch must then find and defeat The Rotten boss if they have not already done so.

After beating The Rotten, the hero must visit the Primal Bonfire located in an antechamber off the boss room. In the back of the chamber is an obelisk. Examining this teleports the player to a lobby dominated by an imposing locked door. Using the Dragon Talon opens the door and allows the player to step into a new adventure.
[/customspoiler]

Players who leave summoning signs just outside locked door to the DLC areas may be summoned inside by other players from within Crown of the Sunken King. Summoning signs drawn near the monoliths outside the locked door to Shulva are duplicated inside a portion of the DLC zone, allowing summoned players to visit a special Challenge Route as guests.

It's also possible to access the DLC through summoning, even if you don't own Crown of the Sunken King. 

New Areas
The new Dark Souls 2 DLC introduces several new areas, including:
[customspoiler='Level descriptions']
Shulva - Sanctum City is a Lovecraftian abyss of angular architecture and glyphs haunted by the corpses of the dead.

Dragon's Sanctum - Its flooded lower regions are patrolled by immense saurian beasts, while the vast tower rising from the shallow lake is guarded by agile and powerful Black Knights, among the quickest common enemies in Dark Souls 2.

Dragon's Rest - A small inner chamber with a single bonfire, portending a momentous battle.
Adventurers entering the new areas will do well to prepare themselves with myriad melee and ranged attacks. The narrow cliffs, closed rooms, and pathways of the upper sanctum are a claustrophobic nightmare in close combat.
[/customspoiler]

New Bosses
Two new boss battles await the intrepid explorer in the depths of Shulva, as well as a third standout special encounter. DLC bosses scale with New Game Plus advancements, growing in durability and challenge on multiple playthroughs.

As hinted by the names of the new zones, one of these supreme enemies is a large fire-breathing dragon. Players who have faced the Ancient Dragon from the original Dark Souls 2 in battle know the unique difficulties of dealing with a huge, durable, and mobile enemy.

New Spells
Hidden among the ruins, intrepid travelers will discover a new Sorcery and a new Miracle. Focus Souls allows its caster to launch a single intense beam of destruction on a target, and Denial can potentially save a character on the edge of death.

Lol at being able to access the dlc for free if its true, nice one From. The new bosses = facepalm

DLC is being released today to mostly positive reviews. As promotion the chest in the basement of the Majula mansion will host new weapon reskins each day for the rest of the week apparently that you won't be able to get again. Today is a blue Murakumo with a white hilt.

Also the Monument in Majula now says something on the back.

EWyqz69.jpg

As promotion the chest in the basement of the Majula mansion will host new weapon reskins each day for the rest of the week apparently that you won't be able to get again. Today is a blue Murakumo with a white hilt.
Thanks for the heads up! Do you have a link to this info? Is it until Sunday?

I have a buddy coming over tonight after work and wasnt going to play but I will at least hop on to score these reskins for my characters!

I am super excited to have a reason to go back to this game after beating the poop out of it so many times already haha

bread's done
Back