Dark Souls pre-orders- free upgrade to collector's edition

hlaalumaster9

CAGiversary!
Currently in stock at Gamestop.com. Online only.

PS3

Xbox 360

Collectors Editions are presently in shortage at both online and b&m stores. Your best options for grabbing a CE:

You can try calling Gamestop, Walmart, or BestBuy and see if they have any extras beyond the pre-order batch. Make sure to see if they are doing a midnight launch. If not, go first thing in the morning

Stores that will NOT have CEs at all:

Target - $10 gift card with purchase
K-Mart/Sears - $20 gamer coupon with purchase
Newegg - Confirmed to be shipping out regular editions but is giving a $20 coupon in compensation

ATTN AMAZON BUYERS:
If you had preordered with release day shipping but the expected delivery date is anything later than 10/4/11, it would be in your best interest to contact Amazon CS and complain :p

While supplies last
- receive a FREE upgrade to the Collector's Edition of Dark Souls when you pre-order the Standard Edition at no extra cost.

Immerse yourself in the Dark Souls experience with the Collector's Edition, which comes wrapped inside a collectible custom designed metal case with protective sleeve, the highly anticipated Dark Souls game, a mini-strategy guide, unique art book packed with exclusive, high-quality imagery, the original soundtrack & behind-the-scenes videos taken with Dark Souls game development studio FromSoftware.

Dark Souls Collector's Edition Includes:
  • Special Designed Metal Tin Case & Protective Sleeve
  • Dark Souls Game
  • Mini-Strategy Guide*
  • Custom Art Book
  • Original Game Soundtrack*
  • Behind-The-Scenes Videos*
In stores October 4, 2011

*The Mini-Strategy Guide, Original Game Soundtrack & Behind-The-Scenes Videos are provided for digital download via a uniquely redeemable online code printed on a specially marked card inside each Collector Edition box.
SOURCE:

http://preparetodie.com/en/preorder/

DarkSouls_LimitedEdition_PS3.jpg

Amazon Bonus Offer:

Pre-order Dark Souls and trade-in any video game between September 22nd and October 3rd, and get a $5.00 gift card.

NOTE: Both PS3 CE and 360 CE lately show as out of stock

NOTE2: The product info for both CE and regular pages almost look the same

PS3 Collector's Edition $59.99 ASIN: B00542ZQJO

PS3 Regular $59.99 ASIN: B004NRN5EO

Xbox360 Collector's Edition $59.99 ASIN: B00542ZR4I

Xbox360 Regular $59.99 ASIN: B004NRN5DU

Last edited by a moderator:
Call me fickle if you want, but this is probably a deal breaker for me. I will certainly pick the game up at some point, but will probably wait for a deal.

The physical guide was THE reason I decided to pre-order.

I also hate the language they used in their email:

"We are pleased to announce that the development team behind the game have decided to enhance the already superb content for Dark Souls by replacing the `mini game guide' (hardcopy) with a `complete game guide' (download) due to the challenging level of game play that this title offers."

You're "pleased to announce"? Don't piss on my feet and tell me its raining.

And PS: I still respect the fact that they're offering any goodies at all with the pre-order. Its just not enough of a package that I want to keep my pre-order.

I was going to pre-order this game no matter what, but I was waiting for the DE for the guide. When they gave a "free" upgrade I was jazzed because it was free stuff I was willing to pay for.

I see the DE as more of a pre-order bonus than a deluxe content, I only wish they had a hard copy of the guide for me to buy.

I think it all comes down to:
If you can't wait for the game to come out (like me) you pre-order.
If you have a lot of backlogged games already and want to wait, then do so.

The guide was something that pushed people over the fence re: pre-ordering, and I am sure they lost a lot of day 1 sales because of it. Most people don't like someone handing them something then taking it away, they feel cheated somehow. Maybe if they never mentioned the "mini game guide" we wouldn't have this problem...

I JUST WANNA PLAY SOME @#$@#$ DARK SOULS

My pre-order has also been auto upgraded to the CE last night. The title in my order detail still says "Dark Souls" but the ASIN is that of the CE.

i would much rather have something i can hold, a hard copy

only reason i decided to buy this on release was because of the guide and artbook it comes with (for the same price if you pre-order)...but now it basically comes with digital content...don't get me wrong, it's still an amazing deal for folks that aren't bothered by a digital or physical copy but this is definitely bad news for me

[quote name='AukeySeven']I was going to pre-order this game no matter what, but I was waiting for the DE for the guide. When they gave a "free" upgrade I was jazzed because it was free stuff I was willing to pay for.

I see the DE as more of a pre-order bonus than a deluxe content, I only wish they had a hard copy of the guide for me to buy.

I think it all comes down to:
If you can't wait for the game to come out (like me) you pre-order.
If you have a lot of backlogged games already and want to wait, then do so.

The guide was something that pushed people over the fence re: pre-ordering, and I am sure they lost a lot of day 1 sales because of it. Most people don't like someone handing them something then taking it away, they feel cheated somehow. Maybe if they never mentioned the "mini game guide" we wouldn't have this problem...

I JUST WANNA PLAY SOME @#$@#$ DARK SOULS[/QUOTE]

Agreed, if it's confirmed there's no hard copy guide I'm pretty much waiting on it 100% until a later and cheaper date.

[quote name='kidrocklive']Agreed, if it's confirmed there's no hard copy guide I'm pretty much waiting on it 100% until a later and cheaper date.[/QUOTE]

^This. The only thing that made me want to preorder this right away was the guide. If its going to be a digital version anyway, I'm content to wait and then use the net if I want to. Just too many good games this fall.

Bottom line is they lost the momentum they had with the auto-upgrades by backtracking the bonus for purchase. Now it's a gamefly with later purchase for me considering that time of the year is hard on the budget.

everyone scrambling to cancel their preorders should just chill out for now.. its still more than 3 months away from launch and based on the number of times this CE has already changed since announce date who knows how many more times it will change?

and for those that need some kind of hope that there will be a physical guide, here is the site that received the above statement came from NB.

http://www.shopto.net/PS3/VIDEO GAMES/PS3DA08-Dark Souls Day One Limited Edition.html

its a UK seller so theres a big chance we in the US would receive a different CE than theirs anyways.

the footnote says the guide is digital download only but they get physical copies of the soundtrack and behind the scenes dvd.

maybe since we are getting downloadable soundtrack and behind the scenes vids, we get to have a physical guide. certainly makes sense from a business standpoint because shipping overseas would cost them more much more due to the CE's oversized packaging.

in conclusion, theres no reason to cancel a preorder thats more than 3 months away, so just be patient til they announce any changes to the US version and keep an eye out for any changes to the amz item description.

[quote name='VaultDweller']Guys get this game whet it drops/goes on sale for $15 like the first demons souls, its the same game so why pay $60 right?[/QUOTE]

1. I want to show my support for from software, and a preorder or day 1 purchase boosts their initial sales numbers, making it more likely that they will continue to make these games.

2. The online component of the the game (if its anything like demon's souls) was greatly enhanced by a large active community, and it's very likely that the best time to play this game will be right at release. (available blue/ black phantoms, people at your level to invade, as well lots of bloodstains)

[quote name='VaultDweller']Guys get this game whet it drops/goes on sale for $15 like the first demons souls, its the same game so why pay $60 right?[/QUOTE]

Isn't this the second fucking time you posted your bullshit? If you don't wanna buy the game then fuck off and troll somewhere else.

[quote name='Ogami Itto']Isn't this the second fucking time you posted your bullshit? If you don't wanna buy the game then fuck off and troll somewhere else.[/QUOTE]

hey man chill, im not trolling im just a cheap ass gamer who doesnt like paying msrp just like any other cag

[quote name='VaultDweller']hey man chill, im not trolling im just a cheap ass gamer who doesnt like paying msrp just like any other cag[/QUOTE]

We pay MSRP for shit that we believe is worth MSRP. You clearly don't want to play this game that much.

Main reason I would be disappointed if the guide went digital is it would make it somewhat superfluous. If I have to log onto a computer to look at the guide I might as well just look it up on gamefaqs or the inevitable dark souls wiki.

[quote name='VaultDweller']hey man chill, im not trolling im just a cheap ass gamer who doesnt like paying msrp just like any other cag[/QUOTE]

Just stop. This is one of the very few games that is WELL worth $60. I buy 2-3 games a year on day one, and this is one of them.

The thing you fail to mention is it took a considerable time after release to hit this price point. Minus an error or crazy rebate deal most new releases can't be found under $40 these days.

You wait any amount of time you'll get the game for $15. It pretty much is trolling because you are stating an obvious fact that adds nothing to the discussion of the collectors edition or the game.

[quote name='DeathMoJo']The thing you fail to mention is it took a considerable time after release to hit this price point. Minus an error or crazy rebate deal most new releases can't be found under $40 these days.

You wait any amount of time you'll get the game for $15. It pretty much is trolling because you are stating an obvious fact that adds nothing to the discussion of the collectors edition or the game.[/QUOTE]

What are you talking about? Portal 2 a week or two after it was released was $34.99, Same went for MK9. Alice has only been out 2 weeks and it is $39.99 at GS, and was $34.99 at kmart. A lot of new games now at days go under $40(if by a penny) with in a few weeks. Look at Front Mission: evolved after 2 weeks it went on sale for $19.99, the same goes for Enslaved. Look at DQ9 when it came out. With toys R' us sale I got it for $20

Yeah it is pretty bunk to take away physical bonuses since you can find plenty of walkthroughs/wikis no problem. (and entire soundtrack i'm sure)

I've never been as excited for any other game (except for maybe Fable 1 which was nothing but empty promises) and I really wanted all that cool stuff to go with this amazing game.

Really BS actually, not a "collector", and this is/was going to be my first CE and preorder. Now I'm thinking unless Amazon gives a $10-20 credit also, I'll just go somewhere else, say Kmart, if they offer a good credit deal. A better cover and an art book isn't worth $20 to me. I doubt the CE will be worth as much as Demon's Souls DE one day.

[quote name='proKoyeon']i would much rather have something i can hold, a hard co**
[/QUOTE]

;);)

Seriously? Demon's Souls was the last game I paid full price (pre CAD/SD) for and do no regret it on bit. Amazing game and this one will be even better, by a lot I think. I told myself I would never pay full price for another game again. Dark Souls is the exception to that rule. Skyrim is close, but might as well wait what 2 weeks for black friday. Dark Souls rapes Skyrim.

Info is still up in the air but the official site lists this

Immerse yourself in the Dark Souls experience with the highly anticipated game, strategy guide and a special art book packed with exclusive, high-quality imagery. The original soundtrack and behind-the-scenes video are included as exclusive downloads.

For a limited time - standard edition pre-orders automatically upgraded to collector's edition at no extra cost. Includes:
Dark Souls game
Game guide
Special hardbound art book
Original soundtrack
Behind-the-scenes video

"All of this will come packaged with the standard edition game in a custom-designed metal case."

amz description still says this, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

This was posted on Amazon UK (For the UK version obviously) in response to questions about what the "Limited Edition" of the game includes:

NAMCO says:

Hi,
There is only one UK launch edition for Dark Souls which is Dark Souls 'Limited edition', this may be listed elsewhere under other names such as day one, special , collectors edition etc - however they all relate to the above 'Limited edition' which contains:

Dark Souls game,
Artbook,
Sound track CD,
Behind the scenes
and the newly changed game guide. This was originally a 'mini' game guide available as a hard copy, however due to the 'difficulty nature' of the game the dev' team will now included a 'complete' game guide' available as a download instead.

Thanks
NAMCO

And in response to a question about the case:

Hi,
Yes this will come in a folded cardboard box which despite the comments in subsequent 'posts' was never communicated by NAMCO Bandai as being a steel book.

Thanks

NAMCO
Again this is for the UK version of the game, so still not absolute confirmation of anything with the US version, but I really wish everyone could get on the same damn page so I know what I'd be getting by ordering this.

And a preemptive "get fucked" to anyone bitching about my bitching. So sorry (but not really) I want to know what I'd be paying for before buying it.

Also I dont know if they updated the UK listing or not but that version on Amazon states this:
Box Contains

• The Dark Souls game
  • The Artbook
  • The Making of DVD
  • The Official Sound Track CD
  • The 'Complete' game guide (downloadable)
So at least for Amazon UK the Amazon listing appears to be accurate now.

My cousin and I just pre-ordered it. I was going to pre-order regardless of the collector edition bonus. I can't complain for extra freebie since the game itself should be worth the asking price. This is my most anticipated game of this year, next to Uncharted 3 and Battlefield 3.

If it's true that there's no longer a hard copy guide that's it I'm cancelling my preorder. Losing the steelbook case was the first straw now this shit, man I wish we were dealing with Atlus again instead of fucking Namco

Eh, without some good DLC/steelbook or something, I may wait on this now. Since it's coming at the end of the year, I wouldn't be able to play til a few months later anyway(currently deployed, it'll come out in the window that I don't want stuff shipped in case it takes to long), and I'm sure there will be some sale on it between release and then.

So, can someone say again where are they getting info about stuff in the U.S. collectors edition being cut? I wouldn't cancel until the contents are 100% confirmed. Amazon's product listing still says:

Dark Souls Collector's Edition Upgrade
Order Dark Souls and receive an automatic upgrade to the Collector's Edition for no extra charge. The CE will include a limited edition art book, a mini-strategy guidebook and behind-the-scenes videos and the game's soundtrack for digital download -- all packaged with the game in a custom-designed metal case. No action is required to receive this upgrade on existing pre-orders.

So if I understand it correctly, the only physical item you receive is the art book? The game guide is now digital, the soundtrack digital, behind-the-scenes digital, and they're no longer offering the steel book case? F that.

I think they're missing the point of a "Collector's Edition". To me, there's absolutely nothing "collectible" about digital media.

Pre-order canceled. Switched my pre-order back to Skyrim.

Edit: I'll keep the pre-order open for now, until Namco NA officially confirms either way. But looking more and more like this incredible pre-order bonus they were once offering has been whittled down to scraps.

I'd rather they charge $10 or $20 extra for the CE and have it include a steelbook and physical guide, then get barely anything noteworthy for the standard price.

[quote name='ssjmichael']I'd rather they charge $10 or $20 extra for the CE and have it include a steelbook and physical guide, then get barely anything noteworthy for the standard price.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, my sealed DS CE will be lonely without a proper follow-up.

Hope it's not true. At least I cancelled the non-CE'ed preorder before I forgot. I will cancel the CE if there is no steelbook and strategy guide. Don't care much about the other stuff.

[quote name='jacknicklson']What I posted a page back is from the official web site

preparetodie.com[/QUOTE]

Thanks. According to that site here is what the pre-order gets you: An outer cardboard slipcover with different artwork that should say CE, a strategy guide and an art book. The 2 digital downloads are the behind the scenes video and soundtrack.

Here's what i found about collectors edition on that site:
Immerse yourself in the Dark Souls experience with the highly anticipated game, strategy guide and a special art book packed with exclusive, high-quality imagery. The original soundtrack and behind-the-scenes video are included as exclusive downloads.

For a limited time - standard edition pre-orders automatically upgraded to collector's edition at no extra cost. Includes:
  • Dark Souls game
  • Game guide
  • Special hardbound art book
  • Original soundtrack
  • Behind-the-scenes video
So, its looking like no steel book. Soundtrack and behind the scenes video's are digital. Slipcover, art book, and strategy guide are the tangible items you get for "free" with the CE. It's less than was originally promised, but that's still pretty good for a free upgrade to what will be one of the best games of 2011. Its basically the Demon's Souls CE, with the soundtrack digital instead of on disc. With Demon Souls that strategy guide came in REALLY handy, and the CE shot up in price. If this is truly limited only to pre-orders, Dark Souls CE will as well.

bread's done
Back