Dark Souls pre-orders- free upgrade to collector's edition

hlaalumaster9

CAGiversary!
Currently in stock at Gamestop.com. Online only.

PS3

Xbox 360

Collectors Editions are presently in shortage at both online and b&m stores. Your best options for grabbing a CE:

You can try calling Gamestop, Walmart, or BestBuy and see if they have any extras beyond the pre-order batch. Make sure to see if they are doing a midnight launch. If not, go first thing in the morning

Stores that will NOT have CEs at all:

Target - $10 gift card with purchase
K-Mart/Sears - $20 gamer coupon with purchase
Newegg - Confirmed to be shipping out regular editions but is giving a $20 coupon in compensation

ATTN AMAZON BUYERS:
If you had preordered with release day shipping but the expected delivery date is anything later than 10/4/11, it would be in your best interest to contact Amazon CS and complain :p

While supplies last
- receive a FREE upgrade to the Collector's Edition of Dark Souls when you pre-order the Standard Edition at no extra cost.

Immerse yourself in the Dark Souls experience with the Collector's Edition, which comes wrapped inside a collectible custom designed metal case with protective sleeve, the highly anticipated Dark Souls game, a mini-strategy guide, unique art book packed with exclusive, high-quality imagery, the original soundtrack & behind-the-scenes videos taken with Dark Souls game development studio FromSoftware.

Dark Souls Collector's Edition Includes:
  • Special Designed Metal Tin Case & Protective Sleeve
  • Dark Souls Game
  • Mini-Strategy Guide*
  • Custom Art Book
  • Original Game Soundtrack*
  • Behind-The-Scenes Videos*
In stores October 4, 2011

*The Mini-Strategy Guide, Original Game Soundtrack & Behind-The-Scenes Videos are provided for digital download via a uniquely redeemable online code printed on a specially marked card inside each Collector Edition box.
SOURCE:

http://preparetodie.com/en/preorder/

DarkSouls_LimitedEdition_PS3.jpg

Amazon Bonus Offer:

Pre-order Dark Souls and trade-in any video game between September 22nd and October 3rd, and get a $5.00 gift card.

NOTE: Both PS3 CE and 360 CE lately show as out of stock

NOTE2: The product info for both CE and regular pages almost look the same

PS3 Collector's Edition $59.99 ASIN: B00542ZQJO

PS3 Regular $59.99 ASIN: B004NRN5EO

Xbox360 Collector's Edition $59.99 ASIN: B00542ZR4I

Xbox360 Regular $59.99 ASIN: B004NRN5DU

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Schade']You clearly do not understand the game you are purchasing. Glad you are not picking it up day one.[/QUOTE]

I've had Demon Souls since day one, pull your head out of your ass and realize that I'm disgruntled over having my CE bonuses completely gutted compared to what they originally announced. And because of that I'm able to see that I don't NEED to buy this day one to enjoy it.

Guys I'm confused. You're all going all over the place!

So this is what I'm getting from you guys.

No steelbook
Digital Strategy Guide

And that's fine with me. What else am I missing? Is the art book digital now, how about soundtrack? What's digital and what's not?

Thanks guys I appreciate it :)

[quote name='henryVIII']Who do you think provided Amazon with that description?[/QUOTE]

That's not what I asked. I asked if Namco's site ever specifically said steelbook or metal case. In other words, did Namco's description actually change or has it conflicted with the one they provided with Amazon since the site went up?

[quote name='giantqtipz']Guys I'm confused. You're all going all over the place!

So this is what I'm getting from you guys.

No steelbook
Digital Strategy Guide

And that's fine with me. What else am I missing? Is the art book digital now, how about soundtrack? What's digital and what's not?

Thanks guys I appreciate it :)[/QUOTE]
Game - physical
Artbook - physical
Soundtrack - digital
Behind The Scenes - digital
Guidebook - Conflicting info so we dont know 100% either way. Probably digital or they would have jumped to clarify. They didn't.
"Metal Case" - Amazon has it in their listing, but it hasn't been mentioned anywhere by NB. In particular it says nothing about it on the preparetodie.com preorder page. If it was included you'd think they might mention it.

Ans THAT is something I can understand, if not respect. It's the 40 pages of posts from the wailing wall about "wahhhhhh Namco owes me!!" that are fuckling baffling to me.

[quote name='slowdive21']On the other hand, anyone could have bought demon's souls for $15-$27 black friday last year even with with the bonus cd and or artbook. Someo fo us would rather wait then spend $60 for something that will drop, if we are not getting any worthwhile extras.[/QUOTE]

sucks cuz i can get the entire guide from gamefaqs if i wanted a digital one. if the only physical thing that you get for preordering is the artbook, i have no problem waiting til this is a 20$ game. i wish someone would be clear about what this comes with (in it's final version, lol)

I updated the OP with what is believed to be the current state of the CE for the US and EU. Hopefully that will help with the confusion.

[quote name='ShockandAww']Game - physical
Artbook - physical
Soundtrack - digital
Behind The Scenes - digital
Guidebook - Conflicting info so we dont know 100% either way. Probably digital or they would have jumped to clarify. They didn't.
"Metal Case" - Amazon has it in their listing, but it hasn't been mentioned anywhere by NB. In particular it says nothing about it on the preparetodie.com preorder page. If it was included you'd think they might mention it.[/QUOTE]

Hm.. metal case and a digital guide.:whistle2:k Not as tempting now... I'd rather pay $10 more for a version with a physical guide book.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']If things have changed this radically, then both GS and Amazon need to update their pages for the game, as they both still say it's coming in a 'custom designed metal case'.

http://www.amazon.com/Dark-Souls-Pl..._1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1298485035&sr=1-1

http://www.gamestop.com/ps3/games/dark-souls-collectors-edition/90192[/QUOTE]

Namco's being dodgy here. This information has been around for over two months and now they're changing things from what's been advertised all this time. Unless they send out a memo to Amazon and GS, I doubt they'll update the info.

How long do they plan on keeping this promotion going? I'm going to cough up the cash for this sometime before launch, I just want to know how long I have to sit on my laurels.

[quote name='BannedEpisode']How long do they plan on keeping this promotion going? I'm going to cough up the cash for this sometime before launch, I just want to know how long I have to sit on my laurels.[/QUOTE]
every preorder, from my understanding (so until october 3rd).

Yeah Amazon and Gamestop need to be updated if changes are being made. I have it pre-ordered at Amazon cause of the free upgrade (wanted the guide since I missed out on the Demon souls one) but if its just some digital guide its a waste as I can use a wiki or faq, thus my need to pre-order would be gone.

[quote name='Terlan']Yeah Amazon and Gamestop need to be updated if changes are being made. I have it pre-ordered at Amazon cause of the free upgrade (wanted the guide since I missed out on the Demon souls one) but if its just some digital guide its a waste as I can use a wiki or faq, thus my need to pre-order would be gone.[/QUOTE]
my situation, exactly!

Physical art book is now no longer a sure thing either, apparently the "metal case" is causing space constraints. So in the space of 3 months we've gone from metal case, physical guide, physical behind the scenes disc and soundtrack, and physical art book to possibly everything being DLC only.

[quote name='twztid13']sucks cuz i can get the entire guide from gamefaqs if i wanted a digital one. if the only physical thing that you get for preordering is the artbook, i have no problem waiting til this is a 20$ game. i wish someone would be clear about what this comes with (in it's final version, lol)[/QUOTE]

You were really willing to pay $40 more just for a physical guide?

[quote name='xspeedracerx']You were really willing to pay $40 more just for a physical guide?[/QUOTE]

Demon's Souls guide sells for $60+. Bayonetta guide sells for $300+. Two of the Star Ocean guides sell for $40-$80. I lost an auction trying to buy a Start Ocean guide at $40...

In short, yes, a $40 guide could be a steal.

Jokes on us, I have it on high authority the game is now digital only as well. The case you buy will be papercraft, so some assembly is required.

[quote name='guardian_owl']Physical art book is now no longer a sure thing either, apparently the "metal case" is causing space constraints. So in the space of 3 months we've gone from metal case, physical guide, physical behind the scenes disc and soundtrack, and physical art book to possibly everything being DLC only.[/QUOTE]

Well, that kinda sucks. I'd rather have a normal case or whatever and an actual art book/strategy guide than the metal case. Now I'm actually considering canceling my pre-order as well and just waiting for a cheaper price.

[quote name='elessar123']Demon's Souls guide sells for $60+. Bayonetta guide sells for $300+. Two of the Star Ocean guides sell for $40-$80. I lost an auction trying to buy a Start Ocean guide at $40...

In short, yes, a $40 guide could be a steal.[/QUOTE]

Ohhh... You want to resell.

[quote name='xspeedracerx']Ah, nicely done.[/QUOTE]

The reason he brought up the prices to those other guides was to show how high they can get, so getting a guide for $40 would be a good deal if it ended up as rare as his examples. He wasn't using those prices to show that he could re-sell it.

[quote name='gettinmoney662']The reason he brought up the prices to those other guides was to show how high they can get, so getting a guide for $40 would be a good deal if it ended up as rare as his examples. He wasn't using those prices to show that he could re-sell it.[/QUOTE]

Why are you trying to explain this to me? You're wasting your time. Apparently I am an idiot.

[quote name='xspeedracerx']Why are you trying to explain this to me? You're wasting your time. Apparently I am an idiot.[/QUOTE]

Good point.

[quote name='guardian_owl']Physical art book is now no longer a sure thing either, apparently the "metal case" is causing space constraints. So in the space of 3 months we've gone from metal case, physical guide, physical behind the scenes disc and soundtrack, and physical art book to possibly everything being DLC only.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for posting. No physical game guide = no pre-order from me. Its appears the only physical bonus we'll get is a metal case. Which is good and fine I guess, but certainly not incentive enough for me to pre-order.

Here's Ilkar's post from the link...

"At Gamescom, I had the opportunity to discuss the CE with the EU Namco team, who were more than happy to spell out EXACTLY how it's going to work.

The reason for the confusion is that the EU and US are getting slightly different things.

The US Collectors Edition consists of a metal case, with digital collectables, possibly a physical soundtrack and/or artbook. Because of the size of the metal case, the strategy guide has to be digital too.

The EU Collectors Edition is a folding cardboard-ey thing, you know what I mean. However, it comes with a physical making-of/behind the scenes thing, a physical art book, a physical soundtrack and a code for a digital strategy guide, because it made no sense to make two different guides for two different regions (looking at you, Atlus).

I will double check and update to see if the US one has any physical collectables, it's possible it doesn't.
Also worth noting is the fact that the EU version comes with codes for the digital versions of the art book/soundtrack etc as well as the physical ones."

Edit: A digital artbook? What the f*ck good is a digital artbook? lol. That completely ruins the whole purpose of it.

I really don't understand what their doing other than confusing alot of their customers, I understand why their doing the collector's edition for pre orders to get alot more stores to saturate their game into stores but they should have a higher edition for people who want and will pay for it, Demon's Souls deluxe edition is one of the most sought after collector's editions this generation of gaming so why not have something higher for people who WILL PAY FOR IT.

At this point they could put a dick in the box for all I care, so long as I get my steelbook. If they take that away, then the CE is officially canceled and we've all been lied to. fuck Namco for handling distribution, seriously.

Wow that sucks. Don't understand how companies continure to screw U.S. collectors editons compared to EU and Japan. We either don't get Collectors editions at all but EU does (glaring at you Square-Enix) or we get gimped worthless CE's. Only reason I was preordering this was to insure I would get all the goodies knowing full well I wouldn't get around to this game till probably after the new year at least but now its looking like just the metal case so for that forget it, will just wait for price drop after the new year. Good job scamco.

[quote name='Vultureyo']I really don't understand what their doing other than confusing alot of their customers, I understand why their doing the collector's edition for pre orders to get alot more stores to saturate their game into stores but they should have a higher edition for people who want and will pay for it, Demon's Souls deluxe edition is one of the most sought after collector's editions this generation of gaming so why not have something higher for people who WILL PAY FOR IT.[/QUOTE]

Namco is badly mishandling this whole situation. Changing most of the contents of the CE is not a good way to keep your customers happy.

Don't get me wrong I have game pre-ordered and have to play this day one! because I loved the last game so much and want to jump in on it early when no one is a expert etc, I just wish they'd handle this a better way.

[quote name='xspeedracerx']You were really willing to pay $40 more just for a physical guide?[/QUOTE]

I think the better question is "you were really going to pay $40 for a guide everyone knows wouldnt have been rare since everyone who preordered it wouldve received one?"

[quote name='henryVIII']Thanks for posting. No physical game guide = no pre-order from me. Its appears the only physical bonus we'll get is a metal case. Which is good and fine I guess, but certainly not incentive enough for me to pre-order.

Here's Ilkar's post from the link...

"At Gamescom, I had the opportunity to discuss the CE with the EU Namco team, who were more than happy to spell out EXACTLY how it's going to work.

The reason for the confusion is that the EU and US are getting slightly different things.

The US Collectors Edition consists of a metal case, with digital collectables, possibly a physical soundtrack and/or artbook. Because of the size of the metal case, the strategy guide has to be digital too.

The EU Collectors Edition is a folding cardboard-ey thing, you know what I mean. However, it comes with a physical making-of/behind the scenes thing, a physical art book, a physical soundtrack and a code for a digital strategy guide, because it made no sense to make two different guides for two different regions (looking at you, Atlus).

I will double check and update to see if the US one has any physical collectables, it's possible it doesn't.
Also worth noting is the fact that the EU version comes with codes for the digital versions of the art book/soundtrack etc as well as the physical ones."

Edit: A digital artbook? What the f*ck good is a digital artbook? lol. That completely ruins the whole purpose of it.[/QUOTE]

Wow, Atlus took great care of the US distribution (and made an in-house guide), and they're getting flak because a different version of the guide was released in Europe? From the company that is walking back almost every added item for pre-order/"collector's edition" versions?

[quote name='xspeedracerx']Namco is badly mishandling this whole situation. Changing most of the contents of the CE is not a good way to keep your customers happy.[/QUOTE]

I went from preordering to making sure i buy used so they dont receive a dime from me...normally a very crappy thing to do but in this case its the only way i can think of to punish them in my own way for this garbage.

[quote name='Vultureyo']Don't get me wrong I have game pre-ordered and have to play this day one! because I loved the last game so much and want to jump in on it early when no one is a expert etc, I just wish they'd handle this a better way.[/QUOTE]

I feel the same way. I'm disappointed about this mess, but I know the game will be excellent and nothing will stop me from picking it up day one.

[quote name='JaylisJayP']I went from preordering to making sure i buy used so they dont receive a dime from me...normally a very crappy thing to do but in this case its the only way i can think of to punish them in my own way for this garbage.[/QUOTE]
The sad part is you're not just punishing Namco, you're hurting From Software too. I don't blame you though and hopefully From Software will reconsider working with Namco again.

Canceled preorder. Waiting for eventual price drop. There are a lot of games coming out during that time to keep me occupied.

[quote name='JaylisJayP']I went from preordering to making sure i buy used so they dont receive a dime from me...normally a very crappy thing to do but in this case its the only way i can think of to punish them in my own way for this garbage.[/QUOTE]

These reactions are the most hilarious to me. So because you're not getting some physical items, you're going to essentially boycott the game? Talk about getting your pussy hurt.

If the artbook ends up being digital too, I'm going to cancel my preorder, but I'm still going to buy the game. I'll just wait for a price drop like I do with everything else.

wow. i understand the frustration with the changing of the collector's edition contents, but man. You'd think that there wasn't even a game included the way some of you guys are talking about this.

From software made an amazing game, and I pre-ordered the sequel because I want to support this game. Crazy collector's editions are all well and good, but as long as there is a disc in the box that lets me play this game, everything else is a bonus.

[quote name='xspeedracerx']I feel the same way. I'm disappointed about this mess, but I know the game will be excellent and nothing will stop me from picking it up day one.

The sad part is you're not just punishing Namco, you're hurting From Software too. I don't blame you though and hopefully From Software will reconsider working with Namco again.[/QUOTE]

Then go out and buy more copies of 3DDGH... Damn, Namco is bringing Armored Core V to the US. Buy more 3DDGH!

[quote name='elessar123']Then go out and buy more copies of 3DDGH... Damn, Namco is bringing Armored Core V to the US. Buy more 3DDGH![/QUOTE]

I did buy it! And I bought it for a friend!

It's funny how some people can go from being so gung ho for a game that you want any bonus material they're willing to give you (at no extra cost) to being so entitled that because said BONUS MATERIAL is suddenly digital that you're okay burning down the house and essentially dropping all support for that game. I don't get it. The game is going to be crazy good. It can be packaged with used kleenex for all I care.

Im also dissapointed in eevrything going digital...might be enough for me to cancel my pre-order and wait for the price drop

[quote name='polly']It's funny how some people can go from being so gung ho for a game that you want any bonus material they're willing to give you (at no extra cost) to being so entitled that because said BONUS MATERIAL is suddenly digital that you're okay burning down the house and essentially dropping all support for that game. I don't get it. The game is going to be crazy good. It can be packaged with used kleenex for all I care.[/QUOTE]

This is a website dedicated to those who wish to get good deals on things. When we're told that we're getting a bunch of cool stuff for free, we get excited. When it turns out we were lied to, we get upset. Don't get mad at those dropping their support for the title. Get mad at the horrendous job the PR people have done. I can't imagine they would keep their jobs after this. They STILL aren't clear on what's coming in the package that they want fans to preorder. Don't ask people to preorder if you're not going to put the least bit of effort into your job whatsoever.

[quote name='polly']It's funny how some people can go from being so gung ho for a game that you want any bonus material they're willing to give you (at no extra cost) to being so entitled that because said BONUS MATERIAL is suddenly digital that you're okay burning down the house and essentially dropping all support for that game. I don't get it. The game is going to be crazy good. It can be packaged with used kleenex for all I care.[/QUOTE]

This is CHEAPassgamer. People are waiting for the price drop.

I wanted a physical guide also. So is the digital going to be pdf, a code to get into an online guide or what....cancelling preorder. I agree, they should have at least offered an option to get physical extras for more money.... FROM THE START. this shows they didn't think the thing through before they advertised it.
CAnceling. I've heard how stupid the first game can be without a guide, and I prefer a guide in my hand that does not run on a battery or need an internet connection

bread's done
Back