Dark Souls pre-orders- free upgrade to collector's edition

hlaalumaster9

CAGiversary!
Currently in stock at Gamestop.com. Online only.

PS3

Xbox 360

Collectors Editions are presently in shortage at both online and b&m stores. Your best options for grabbing a CE:

You can try calling Gamestop, Walmart, or BestBuy and see if they have any extras beyond the pre-order batch. Make sure to see if they are doing a midnight launch. If not, go first thing in the morning

Stores that will NOT have CEs at all:

Target - $10 gift card with purchase
K-Mart/Sears - $20 gamer coupon with purchase
Newegg - Confirmed to be shipping out regular editions but is giving a $20 coupon in compensation

ATTN AMAZON BUYERS:
If you had preordered with release day shipping but the expected delivery date is anything later than 10/4/11, it would be in your best interest to contact Amazon CS and complain :p

While supplies last
- receive a FREE upgrade to the Collector's Edition of Dark Souls when you pre-order the Standard Edition at no extra cost.

Immerse yourself in the Dark Souls experience with the Collector's Edition, which comes wrapped inside a collectible custom designed metal case with protective sleeve, the highly anticipated Dark Souls game, a mini-strategy guide, unique art book packed with exclusive, high-quality imagery, the original soundtrack & behind-the-scenes videos taken with Dark Souls game development studio FromSoftware.

Dark Souls Collector's Edition Includes:
  • Special Designed Metal Tin Case & Protective Sleeve
  • Dark Souls Game
  • Mini-Strategy Guide*
  • Custom Art Book
  • Original Game Soundtrack*
  • Behind-The-Scenes Videos*
In stores October 4, 2011

*The Mini-Strategy Guide, Original Game Soundtrack & Behind-The-Scenes Videos are provided for digital download via a uniquely redeemable online code printed on a specially marked card inside each Collector Edition box.
SOURCE:

http://preparetodie.com/en/preorder/

DarkSouls_LimitedEdition_PS3.jpg

Amazon Bonus Offer:

Pre-order Dark Souls and trade-in any video game between September 22nd and October 3rd, and get a $5.00 gift card.

NOTE: Both PS3 CE and 360 CE lately show as out of stock

NOTE2: The product info for both CE and regular pages almost look the same

PS3 Collector's Edition $59.99 ASIN: B00542ZQJO

PS3 Regular $59.99 ASIN: B004NRN5EO

Xbox360 Collector's Edition $59.99 ASIN: B00542ZR4I

Xbox360 Regular $59.99 ASIN: B004NRN5DU

Last edited by a moderator:
Went to the local Gamestop, they said they aren't taking collector's pre orders anymore, so I went to bestbuy.com and put a pre-order in on the PS3 Collectors. It said collectors, though the picture is from the regular. Oh well, I'll get it either way but hopefully it ends up being the CE.

I'm in a similar boat with some of you where I pre-ordered the game for PS3 on Amazon prior to them adding the "Collector's Edition" listing. Atleast based on the chat I had with a rep today, we should be getting the right version.

You are now connected to Lauren from Amazon.com.
Me:Hi, have a question regarding my Dark Souls videogame pre-order. I ordered the Playstation 3 version pretty soon after it was first available on your site. This was supposed to be automatically upgraded to the "Collector's Edition" but currently when I click on my order, it sends me to the Collector's edition version for Xbox. Also, if I look up the standard edition version of the game for Playstation, the banner at the top says I ordered that version. I just want to make sure I'll be getting the Collector's Edition version of the game for Playstation 3.3:05:31 PM
Lauren:Hi James. I'm Lauren. How are you doing today?3:05:38 PM
Me:Good, how are you3:05:44 PM
Lauren:I'm doing pretty well thanks! So you're wanting the collector's edition of the Dark Souls ps3 game, but it's not showing on the site?3:06:35 PM
Me:Well, currently your site has 2 different versions of the game, Collector's Edition and Standard Edition3:07:00 PM
Me:and you can buy it for either Xbox or Playstation3:07:07 PM
Me:I ordered the game originally when there was only one version of the game available for each system3:07:31 PM
Lauren:OK so the one you have right now, and the order is 105-1808202-5807463 is the collector's edition.3:08:03 PM
Me:Later, your site added the "Collector's Edition" of the game and also put under the Standard version listing that everyone who already pre-ordered the standard would be automatically upgraded to the Collector's edition3:08:16 PM
Me:I contacting you because I don't think it's clear what version I'll actually end up given the discrepancies on the site3:08:54 PM
Lauren:You'll be getting the collector's edition.3:09:08 PM
Me:for Playstation?3:09:14 PM
Lauren:Yes for playstation 3.3:09:22 PM
Me:Ok, just wanted to confirm. Thanks3:09:29 PM
Lauren:You're welcome! :) Is there anything else I can do for you today?3:09:35 PM
Me:Nope, that's it..have a great day3:09:40 PM
Lauren:Thanks! I hope you have a great rest of your day and thank you for contacting Amazon.

[quote name='Bumslie']Jodou I wouldn't worry too much about it. I know Amazon made a mess on two listing as others canceled the previous order for the one that said C.E. I ordered mine the first day when it listed the FREE upgrade. My link takes me to C.E. page. They should honor you a C.E. because they just have to see that you made the pre-order.

Lets hope no orders get fucked up from this fiasco![/QUOTE]
Oh I'm not worried. I always make arrangements on items like this to ensure I get it, one way or another. I just don't tolerate incompetence is all.

[quote name='FaidSint']Went to the local Gamestop, they said they aren't taking collector's pre orders anymore, so I went to bestbuy.com and put a pre-order in on the PS3 Collectors. It said collectors, though the picture is from the regular. Oh well, I'll get it either way but hopefully it ends up being the CE.[/QUOTE]

The CE is the only version showing up at best buy.com, I'm thinking about getting it from there as well.

[quote name='Jodou']Oh I'm not worried. I always make arrangements on items like this to ensure I get it, one way or another. I just don't tolerate incompetence is all.[/QUOTE]

I agree with you. I would just make them aware of the pre-order date if there was a problem.

[quote name='jamezuva']I'm in a similar boat with some of you where I pre-ordered the game for PS3 on Amazon prior to them adding the "Collector's Edition" listing. Atleast based on the chat I had with a rep today, we should be getting the right version.

You are now connected to Lauren from Amazon.com.
Me:Hi, have a question regarding my Dark Souls videogame pre-order. I ordered the Playstation 3 version pretty soon after it was first available on your site. This was supposed to be automatically upgraded to the "Collector's Edition" but currently when I click on my order, it sends me to the Collector's edition version for Xbox. Also, if I look up the standard edition version of the game for Playstation, the banner at the top says I ordered that version. I just want to make sure I'll be getting the Collector's Edition version of the game for Playstation 3.3:05:31 PM
Lauren:Hi James. I'm Lauren. How are you doing today?3:05:38 PM
Me:Good, how are you3:05:44 PM
Lauren:I'm doing pretty well thanks! So you're wanting the collector's edition of the Dark Souls ps3 game, but it's not showing on the site?3:06:35 PM
Me:Well, currently your site has 2 different versions of the game, Collector's Edition and Standard Edition3:07:00 PM
Me:and you can buy it for either Xbox or Playstation3:07:07 PM
Me:I ordered the game originally when there was only one version of the game available for each system3:07:31 PM
Lauren:OK so the one you have right now, and the order is 105-1808202-5807463 is the collector's edition.3:08:03 PM
Me:Later, your site added the "Collector's Edition" of the game and also put under the Standard version listing that everyone who already pre-ordered the standard would be automatically upgraded to the Collector's edition3:08:16 PM
Me:I contacting you because I don't think it's clear what version I'll actually end up given the discrepancies on the site3:08:54 PM
Lauren:You'll be getting the collector's edition.3:09:08 PM
Me:for Playstation?3:09:14 PM
Lauren:Yes for playstation 3.3:09:22 PM
Me:Ok, just wanted to confirm. Thanks3:09:29 PM
Lauren:You're welcome! :) Is there anything else I can do for you today?3:09:35 PM
Me:Nope, that's it..have a great day3:09:40 PM
Lauren:Thanks! I hope you have a great rest of your day and thank you for contacting Amazon.[/QUOTE]

amazon reps don't know shit. I remember when there was penny mania going on, I spoke to several different amazon reps and they each told me that none of those penny orders will go through. Needless to say, you can head over to the penny deal thread to get an idea of how much truth there was in that

I pre-ordered this from best buy 1 month ago but I just now looked at my receipt and it doesn't say Dark Souls CE, it just says Dark Souls. Anyone know if best buy pre-orders for Dark Souls is the Collector's Edition?

Hmm i might try the kmart thing online. i just signed upw ith the rewards thing and got the membership :)

question ,tho, how are they on their shipping times? Wallmart gets my stuff here in like a day(like 3 super centers here hehe). amazon maybe 3-4 days unless i preorder it and even then i never get any order till about 5pm hehe. anyways I really want to get darksouls before skyrim :)

[quote name='urallgyots']amazon reps don't know shit. I remember when there was penny mania going on, I spoke to several different amazon reps and they each told me that none of those penny orders will go through. Needless to say, you can head over to the penny deal thread to get an idea of how much truth there was in that

I pre-ordered this from best buy 1 month ago but I just now looked at my receipt and it doesn't say Dark Souls CE, it just says Dark Souls. Anyone know if best buy pre-orders for Dark Souls is the Collector's Edition?[/QUOTE]
Sure, they can be but atleast this gives me a little insurance

my best buy preorder receipt says "Dark Souls: Collector's Edition"

[quote name='urallgyots']amazon reps don't know shit. I remember when there was penny mania going on, I spoke to several different amazon reps and they each told me that none of those penny orders will go through. Needless to say, you can head over to the penny deal thread to get an idea of how much truth there was in that

I pre-ordered this from best buy 1 month ago but I just now looked at my receipt and it doesn't say Dark Souls CE, it just says Dark Souls. Anyone know if best buy pre-orders for Dark Souls is the Collector's Edition?[/QUOTE]

The pre-order ticket that prints out of the machine says CE on it. When they ring it up and you get your receipt, it just says PS-PS3 Dark Souls. That's from today.

[quote name='PrinnyOtaku']The pre-order ticket that prints out of the machine says CE on it. When they ring it up and you get your receipt, it just says PS-PS3 Dark Souls. That's from today.[/QUOTE]

ah thats right, thanks.

1 quick question....will the collectors edition (for 59.99) be still available after release day...or is it only for pre-orders and not available anymore aftr release day?

[quote name='harish7447']1 quick question....will the collectors edition (for 59.99) be still available after release day...or is it only for pre-orders and not available anymore aftr release day?[/QUOTE]

It's supposed to be a pre-order only thing, but who knows, it was the same with DA2: Signature Edition.

[quote name='harish7447']1 quick question....will the collectors edition (for 59.99) be still available after release day...or is it only for pre-orders and not available anymore aftr release day?[/QUOTE]

It's supposed to be limited to preorders only but there have been limited edition games that have copies left over (Catherine for example).

[quote name='Azuvidexus']It's supposed to be a pre-order only thing, but who knows, it was the same with DA2: Signature Edition.[/QUOTE]

I'm definitely late to the pre-order party, here's hoping you're right if I don't get a chance before release. The collector's upgrade looks like a really nice bonus.

[quote name='Azuvidexus']It's supposed to be a pre-order only thing, but who knows, it was the same with DA2: Signature Edition.[/QUOTE]
And the Catherine "Love is Over" Deluxe Edition

I get the feeling that it depends on which retailer you go to... I can see WM, BBY and GS having the CE but stores like Kmart, TRU and Target will likely only get the regular version. Pure speculation, of course.

BTW, it looks like Gamestop.com put the CE listing back up.

May have been mentioned already (I just added it to the OP), but if you've preordered Dark Souls from Amazon, you can trade in any game and get a $5 gift card. Useful if you have a cheap game to trade in, or can find one with decent trade-in value. Especially since Amazon pays shipping.

Yea the four main retailers listed on preparetodie will be getting CEs and everyone else, Kmart etc will get the regular copies but preorders always get cancelled of course so there will definitely be CEs leftover in the beginning

Damn missed the CE on Amazon. Signed up to be notified if it comes back in stock, otherwise might grab it from Best Buy if they have it.

Sorry but I'm totally confused.
I pre ordered normal version back in May.
But the link in my order detail points to:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00542ZQJO/ref=wms_ohs_product_T2

So am I getting the collector's version or not?

Also is this item limited or something?
I also ordered specific collector's version and even that links to item not available page. I'm confused.
Why does every version on amazon point to Xbox cover and why is Xbox collector's avail but PS3 version not?

[quote name='Kevfactor']Hmm i might try the kmart thing online. i just signed upw ith the rewards thing and got the membership :)

question ,tho, how are they on their shipping times? Wallmart gets my stuff here in like a day(like 3 super centers here hehe). amazon maybe 3-4 days unless i preorder it and even then i never get any order till about 5pm hehe. anyways I really want to get darksouls before skyrim :)[/QUOTE]

Kmart is bad i had the worst 3 orders ever from there place. Thank god SHC gamer helped me out. They charged me for all 3 orders but never shipped my products! It took them 4 months to ship a product they charged me on day one!

If something fails they can not refund you cause the orders are charged from there local stores they ship it from. So if some duh person messes up the order gets billed but never sent. Then you are well scr*wed cause the online store did not charge it the local stores did and they can only do it. There setup they got is jacked and can not refund you. This was 6-12 months ago i doubt they merged stuff.

So be warned if something goes wrong enjoy the pain! Just file with the bank do not go through kmart CS!

Thanks to SHC-Gamer for helping me on 1 of the orders and sent me there personal copy of ffx13 cause kmart goofed and got ripped. They could not help me on the 3rd order which i filed reports on kmart from BBB and other places and they finally sent my stuff after 4 damn months!

I pre-ordered the xbox version a few months ago but I just recently got a ps3. Im thinking of canceling my xbox order and going for the ps3 version because of the amount of d-pad use in this game. Thoughts?

[quote name='imatwork']I pre-ordered the xbox version a few months ago but I just recently got a ps3. Im thinking of canceling my xbox order and going for the ps3 version because of the amount of d-pad use in this game. Thoughts?[/QUOTE]
Get the PS3 version

[quote name='imatwork']I pre-ordered the xbox version a few months ago but I just recently got a ps3. Im thinking of canceling my xbox order and going for the ps3 version because of the amount of d-pad use in this game. Thoughts?[/QUOTE]

Achievements and a better networking service (Live) trump a Dpad in my book, but go with what you like!

Anyone have any thoughts on the value of the collector's edition? I cancelled my pre-order as a knee-jerk reaction to the news that most of the contents would be a digital download, but now I'm wondering if that was a mistake. Think the value of the Dark Souls CE version will command the kind of prices that Demon Soul's collector's editions do? Will it be worth more on one system over the other?

[quote name='midloo']Think the value of the Dark Souls CE version will command the kind of prices that Demon Soul's collector's editions do?[/QUOTE]

No.

PS3 version, we already have direct word from the Namco reps who confirmed the 360 version is already compressed to fit on one disc and is a port. But the real selling point is the overwhelming vast majority of sales are for the PS3 version if you look at the chart on Amazon and general interest on forums (the PS3 community for Dark Souls will be larger, so more people online). If you have both consoles, I'd make the switch ASAP.

Thanks for the heads up about Amazon, just placed my preorder on Collector's Edition. :)

[quote name='daren']Ps3 collector's is back up on amazon.[/QUOTE]
Just recently? I'm wondering why Amazon didn't send me an email about it, I only came here on a whim & suddenly I see your post.

Awesome, thanks for the input. I think i'm gonna go with the ps3 version. Anyone know if theres an easy way to change an xbox preorder to a ps3 on Amazon or am I just gonna have to cancel the xbox and re-order the ps3? I'd login to Amazon to check buy I dont wanna log in on a work computer

[quote name='UberNinjaz']Just recently? I'm wondering why Amazon didn't send me an email about it, I only came here on a whim & suddenly I see your post.[/QUOTE]
I've found signing up does jack shit. I signed up recently for when the DS guide became available and never got an email. Amazon's notification system is worthless.

[quote name='MrBubbles']PS3 version, we already have direct word from the Namco reps who confirmed the 360 version is already compressed to fit on one disc and is a port. But the real selling point is the overwhelming vast majority of sales are for the PS3 version if you look at the chart on Amazon and general interest on forums (the PS3 community for Dark Souls will be larger, so more people online). If you have both consoles, I'd make the switch ASAP.

Thanks for the heads up about Amazon, just placed my preorder on Collector's Edition. :)[/QUOTE]

Mmmm.... good points. I looked into the sales ranking on Amazon and currently the Xbox CE version is outselling all others. Who knows how it will all land?

Also, my previous comment about the chat functions in Live is negated for this game. From software is disabling all chat functions! It's an interesting design decision. Don't think I've seen that implemented in any other game on the system. In fact, I thought the ability to form a party or private chat were requirements of Microsoft.... just a part of the 360's shell. Had no idea developers would have the ability to remove features from that shell.

One of the developers commented on his blog that there is no "compression" to the 360 as rumored on the web.

Guess I'll probably still go with the 360 for the Achievements, but it looks like there are some good points to going with either system.

Are you guys just purchasing the "normal" edition of the game, or the one that lists as "Collector's Edition"? Both are $60, however, the box covers are reversed?

Which is to say, the "normal" edition seems to have the boxart that is supposedly printed onto the metal case?

I'm so confused by these listings. I emailed Amazon for clarification, but wanted to get a poll on what people are doing. When Demon's Souls launched, all pre-orders included these goodies as a gesture of goodwill. I'm wondering if the same is true for this game, and the different listings don't matter?

[quote name='midloo']Mmmm.... good points. I looked into the sales ranking on Amazon and currently the Xbox CE version is outselling all others. Who knows how it will all land?

Also, my previous comment about the chat functions in Live is negated for this game. From software is disabling all chat functions! It's an interesting design decision. Don't think I've seen that implemented in any other game on the system. In fact, I thought the ability to form a party or private chat were requirements of Microsoft.... just a part of the 360's shell. Had no idea developers would have the ability to remove features from that shell.

One of the developers commented on his blog that there is no "compression" to the 360 as rumored on the web.

Guess I'll probably still go with the 360 for the Achievements, but it looks like there are some good points to going with either system.[/QUOTE]

It's probably outselling ps3 version in recent days since the ps3 version went oos.

[quote name='anticulture']Are you guys just purchasing the "normal" edition of the game, or the one that lists as "Collector's Edition"? Both are $60, however, the box covers are reversed?

Which is to say, the "normal" edition seems to have the boxart that is supposedly printed onto the metal case?

I'm so confused by these listings. I emailed Amazon for clarification, but wanted to get a poll on what people are doing. When Demon's Souls launched, all pre-orders included these goodies as a gesture of goodwill. I'm wondering if the same is true for this game, and the different listings don't matter?[/QUOTE]

Hah. To answer my own question...amazon's automated system just sent me this:

Hello,

We have good news! One of your pre-ordered items is now eligible for release date delivery and has been upgraded at no additional charge. Your new delivery estimate is:

"Dark Souls"
Estimated arrival date: October 04 2011
"Dark Souls Collector's Edition"
Estimated arrival date: October 04 2011

So, uh, I guess it's just like with Demon's Souls, then? Every first-run batch is probably the "Collector's Edition" with soundtrack and artbook.

Thanks! Odd I didn't get any email notification but saw your post, went there and ordered!

[quote name='RedvsBlue']This has me interested but the absolute glee the developers seem to be having in making the difficulty controller-throwingly worthy makes me glad the NES days are over. I enjoy being crappy at video games, why do they have to take that away from me?[/QUOTE]

I agree completely. I'd rather not die 50 times to beat one boss, that doesn't sound like fun to me. I know a lot of people love the challenge of extreme difficulty (which is why they love Demon's Souls and will be getting Dark Souls), but really I'd prefer something more balanced. Or at least something with selectable difficulty levels, to make the game more playable. This game just sounds a bit over the top, so I'll pass for now. I do think that the design of the enemies and bosses will be fantastic, though.

[quote name='dEvAnGeL']just canceled mine, the downgrades were bs, will wait for the game to hit 30 or less[/QUOTE]

So you'll turn down the metal case artbook and digital guide version which will no doubt resell for well over $60 eventually to just get a regular version that doesn't come with anything else for $30 or less months later

Makes sense....

[quote name='midloo']. In fact, I thought the ability to form a party or private chat were requirements of Microsoft.... just a part of the 360's shell. Had no idea developers would have the ability to remove features from that shell.
[/QUOTE]

It probably is a "requirement" but when MS saw how well Demon's Souls did, they were probably willing to compromise.

[quote name='ssjmichael']So you'll turn down the metal case artbook and digital guide version which will no doubt resell for well over $60 eventually to just get a regular version that doesn't come with anything else for $30 or less months later

Makes sense....[/QUOTE]

I doubt theyll sell for that much...there will be a ton of them on the market from all the preorders. They wont be hard to find.

Thanks! I might even do their trade in promo and trade in Resistance 2. I doubt I would get more than $8+5 for it anywhere else. Are there any other (better) promos for people that haven't traded in games before? I remember they did that when they were new but I didn't take advantage.

I'm still debating one whether I should preorder and get the collectors or wait til the game gets cheap (and possibly still get the CE goodies like some did with Demons Souls) a few months down the line.

The downgrade of the CE certainly does play a huge factor in my decision, if it was a nice package of CE stuff like Bioshock 2 or any Blizzard game, $60 is certainly a fair price. But for a tiny artbook (a nice big bound artbook I might be willing to pay a $20 premium for) and a metal case... that might be worth $5 to me.

I do want to play the game very badly, but I have a huge backlog and Zelda and Uncharted 3 are coming out around the same time.

[quote name='UberNinjaz']Sorry, not all of us are poor.[/QUOTE]

Yes everyone who resells anything must be poor. Don't you just love that elitist logic CAG? Besides that, I was actually making a point about the value of the contents included that he's bitching about compared to the lack of contents he'll be getting for $30 less down the line, but I guess your uber ninja skillz couldn't quite pick up on that huh??

Let me spell it out for you:

$60 for a Metal case, Game, Art book, digital guide and digital soundtrack >>>>>> $30 for just the game

[quote name='UberNinjaz']Sorry, not all of us are poor.[/QUOTE]

Lol.

Bill Gates and Steve Jobs totally got up one day and said they have enough money.

Amazon got more PS3 Collector's editions up so I cancelled my SE order there and ordered the CE.

And yeah it looked like they mixed up the box arts..lol.

I still have my newegg order up. Newegg not charging tax, or shipping, (They also ship to me fast because I'm in NY) so the only choice is whether I want to pay $6.31 or something to get the game on release date..

To me, Kmart is the place to get this one. $20 gaming coupon included, and they won't get the CE, but that doesn't matter to me without a physical strategy guide or soundtrack. It's a shame, because the Demon's Souls CE was great.

bread's done
Back