Dark Souls pre-orders- free upgrade to collector's edition

hlaalumaster9

CAGiversary!
Currently in stock at Gamestop.com. Online only.

PS3

Xbox 360

Collectors Editions are presently in shortage at both online and b&m stores. Your best options for grabbing a CE:

You can try calling Gamestop, Walmart, or BestBuy and see if they have any extras beyond the pre-order batch. Make sure to see if they are doing a midnight launch. If not, go first thing in the morning

Stores that will NOT have CEs at all:

Target - $10 gift card with purchase
K-Mart/Sears - $20 gamer coupon with purchase
Newegg - Confirmed to be shipping out regular editions but is giving a $20 coupon in compensation

ATTN AMAZON BUYERS:
If you had preordered with release day shipping but the expected delivery date is anything later than 10/4/11, it would be in your best interest to contact Amazon CS and complain :p

While supplies last
- receive a FREE upgrade to the Collector's Edition of Dark Souls when you pre-order the Standard Edition at no extra cost.

Immerse yourself in the Dark Souls experience with the Collector's Edition, which comes wrapped inside a collectible custom designed metal case with protective sleeve, the highly anticipated Dark Souls game, a mini-strategy guide, unique art book packed with exclusive, high-quality imagery, the original soundtrack & behind-the-scenes videos taken with Dark Souls game development studio FromSoftware.

Dark Souls Collector's Edition Includes:
  • Special Designed Metal Tin Case & Protective Sleeve
  • Dark Souls Game
  • Mini-Strategy Guide*
  • Custom Art Book
  • Original Game Soundtrack*
  • Behind-The-Scenes Videos*
In stores October 4, 2011

*The Mini-Strategy Guide, Original Game Soundtrack & Behind-The-Scenes Videos are provided for digital download via a uniquely redeemable online code printed on a specially marked card inside each Collector Edition box.
SOURCE:

http://preparetodie.com/en/preorder/

DarkSouls_LimitedEdition_PS3.jpg

Amazon Bonus Offer:

Pre-order Dark Souls and trade-in any video game between September 22nd and October 3rd, and get a $5.00 gift card.

NOTE: Both PS3 CE and 360 CE lately show as out of stock

NOTE2: The product info for both CE and regular pages almost look the same

PS3 Collector's Edition $59.99 ASIN: B00542ZQJO

PS3 Regular $59.99 ASIN: B004NRN5EO

Xbox360 Collector's Edition $59.99 ASIN: B00542ZR4I

Xbox360 Regular $59.99 ASIN: B004NRN5DU

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='honkyjesus']Really? It clicked for me right away, sorry you had trouble with it at the start. The Internet makes saying stuff like this easy.[/QUOTE]

Heh, good one. :)

[quote name='outphase']I preordered the CE when it came back in stock for PS3 very briefly. My order page has the standard one linked though :/[/QUOTE]

That's weird :/ Hopefully you do get the CE.

I pre-ordered at Gamestop, and picking up day one just incase something goes screwy with my amazon order. One will be returned eventually. (unless these become rare and I will just hold onto one as a collectors item)

not sure if newegg has them in stock. if you type in dark souls collectors edition you will clearly see CE mentioned in the title but when you click on the link there is no mention of CE anywhere.

When I placed an order with newegg a couple days ago, it did say collectors. I just checked my order and it says nothing about the collectors edition. What the hell..

[quote name='zethca']The whole first run is CE. You'll be able to walk into target/kmart day one and get it.[/QUOTE]

Good try but SHC-Gamer/Josh already confirmed they are getting the regular copies of the game. If it's not one of the retailers on preparetodie it's probably not getting the CE.

For those that ordered the collectors edition on newegg--does your order say collectors edition or reg.?

Mine says reg but I ordered the collectors on newegg.. is it just me?

Got this reply instantly... So hopeful but guess I will wait and see :p

Hello,

I understand you want to make sure you will receive the collector's edition of the game, I confirmed that you will receive the collector's edition of the game.

If you need any future help, here's a link to our e-mail form:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/contact-us/general-questions.html

I hope this helps. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Thank you for your recent inquiry. Did I solve your problem?

Did anyone preorder from WalMart? I haven't seen any mention of the upgrade to the CE for a couple of weeks now. I have a stack of gift cards I'd like to get rid of but I want the CE.

[quote name='wizzyx3']For those that ordered the collectors edition on newegg--does your order say collectors edition or reg.?

Mine says reg but I ordered the collectors on newegg.. is it just me?[/QUOTE]

Just checked my preorder status, it says:

Dark Souls Playstation3 Game NAMCO BANDAI Games
Item #: N82E16879253080
Limited Replacement Only Return Policy

I'm not sure what it used to say though. I hope I'm getting the CE upgrade since I ordered this in the beginning of August.

Just wanted to give a heads up to anyone who is thinking about getting teh xbox version

From kotaku:

"if players engage a Party Chat session, Dark Souls will instantly kick you out of your current game and boot you to the main menu."

So if you were like me and were getting the xbox version to play with friends..It seems party/private chat are a nono :(.

If this has been mentioned sorry,Now I think I'll get the ps3 version myself now :(..

looks like i missed out. Ill just wait till a price drop.

IMO the collectors edition is kinda crappy
Soundtrack- im sure u can find this on the internet
Strategy guide- there was an awesome wiki site that was perfect for demons souls
behind the scenes- will be on youtube
artbook- no interest in this

[quote name='Hestar']Just wanted to give a heads up to anyone who is thinking about getting teh xbox version

From kotaku:

"if players engage a Party Chat session, Dark Souls will instantly kick you out of your current game and boot you to the main menu."

So if you were like me and were getting the xbox version to play with friends..It seems party/private chat are a nono :(.

If this has been mentioned sorry,Now I think I'll get the ps3 version myself now :(..[/QUOTE]

Why are they so against playing with friends (just curious)?

[quote name='DaShaka']I have a feeling that this CE is going to be slightly more limited than people thought.[/QUOTE]

Yet still much more widely available then most other CEs.

[quote name='Trance Addix']Why are they so against playing with friends (just curious)?[/QUOTE]

No clue,Supposedly MS told them no to banning party chat but they still did it anyways,Or maybe I read it wrong from the dark souls forums.Either way,Pretty sad I can't talk to my friends as I play dark souls :(.

FYI: Hey guys I had that phantom $10 credit on my amazon account (I think it was from last years $10 off xbox live promo if you purchased certain M$ games). I emailed CS and they applied it to my order for me. Just a heads up if anyone else had no use for their $10 off live code.

[quote name='Hestar']No clue,Supposedly MS told them no to banning party chat but they still did it anyways,Or maybe I read it wrong from the dark souls forums.Either way,Pretty sad I can't talk to my friends as I play dark souls :(.[/QUOTE]

Hmm, then maybe it'll be patch-fixed in the future.

sorry to hear you guys had bad experiences with them. :(

I went a head and placed an order anyways since it seems to be the only place that has the game in stock(no more CE at newegg). hopefully my order will go through...

[quote name='Trance Addix']Hmm, then maybe it'll be patch-fixed in the future.[/QUOTE]

I heard that there will be no talk for Dark Souls on Xbox 360. If you try to do a party chat they will just kick you out of the game. From Software wants this to be the experience of the game and people will just have to deal it.

Demon's Souls online experience is very unique and perfect for the game. I can only imagine what Dark Souls is going to dish out on us.

[quote name='Bumslie']I heard that there will be no talk for Dark Souls on Xbox 360. If you try to do a party chat they will just kick you out of the game. From Software wants this to be the experience of the game and people will just have to deal it.

Demon's Souls online experience is very unique and perfect for the game. I can only imagine what Dark Souls is going to dish out on us.[/QUOTE]

I for one think hearing children scream racist remarks and curse words over xbox live would add a nice layer to dark souls that software just isn't willing to think outside the xbox for.

[quote name='AukeySeven']I for one think hearing children scream racist remarks and curse words over xbox live would add a nice layer to dark souls that software just isn't willing to think outside the xbox for.[/QUOTE]Well first of all, party Chat =/= in-game chat. You choose who you talk to, e.g. your friends. In my opinion, it should remain an option. If you want to break the ambiance with chit-chat, so be it. A company should not be able to decide for you, though.

Second, I don't think a child could make any significant progress in Dark Souls, much less far enough to invade a player's world. ;)

[quote name='VVaffle']Well first of all, party Chat =/= in-game chat. You choose who you talk to, e.g. your friends. In my opinion, it should remain an option. If you want to break the ambiance with chit-chat, so be it. A company should not be able to decide for you, though.

Second, I don't think a child could make any significant progress in Dark Souls, much less far enough to invade a player's world. ;)[/QUOTE]

Just call your friends on that thing you check fb on. what is that thing called again? oh right a phone!

[quote name='AukeySeven']Just call your friends on that thing you check fb on. what is that thing called again? oh right a phone![/QUOTE]Amiss that multitude of implications is a weak point.
Having so many ways around it (skype, Steam voice chat, phones, etc) trivializes the removal of Party Chat support.

Anyways, I'll refrain from discussing this further as it's a little off-topic.

Just a heads up, looks like best buy has 360 version in stock, still OOS on ps3.

Funny because I preordered mine from amazon months ago, then switched it to GS then cancelled GS then went back to preorder and no longer taking collectors which ended up me preordering it from best buy. FFS this game better be good lol

I hope you get the order from Deep Discount, but there is no way I'm going to gamble on them actually delivering the item. They use to be good, but not any more.

I'll be keeping my 360 CE version from Amazon. That was the version I wanted until I read they won't support any voice chat. How very lame.

[quote name='Ray5555']I called amazon and got the same answer as when I chatted with them onlie. They said we will get the CE.[/QUOTE]

Hmm, interesting. My experience was very different from yours. I called and got put on hold for 10 minutes while the rep looked for an answer, then I was told I was getting transferred to the game department, then I was put on hold for another 20 minutes (not exaggerating in the slightest) and no one ever picked up.

Also, after hearing their damn piano hold music play for the 200th time, I actually found myself wishing for a Justin Bieber / Rebecca Black duet, with Nickelback playing in the background. (Hey, you didn't have to endure it, so don't you dare judge.)

I Preordered this a long time ago and I wanted some advice on whether I should cancel or not? I know I won't have time to play it when it arrives since I have a backlog and busy with school...is it worth it for the CE?

[quote name='Trance Addix']Why are they so against playing with friends (just curious)?[/QUOTE]
Excerpt of Interview with Demon's Souls (and Dark Souls) director Hidetaka Miyazaki
"The origin of that idea is actually due to a personal experience where a car suddenly stopped on a hillside after some heavy snow and started to slip," says Miyazaki. "The car following me also got stuck, and then the one behind it spontaneously bumped into it and started pushing it up the hill... That's it! That's how everyone can get home! Then it was my turn and everyone started pushing my car up the hill, and I managed to get home safely.

"But I couldn't stop the car to say thanks to the people who gave me a shove. I'd have just got stuck again if I'd stopped. On the way back home I wondered whether the last person in the line had made it home, and thought that I would probably never meet the people who had helped me. I thought that maybe if we'd met in another place we'd become friends, or maybe we'd just fight...

"You could probably call it a connection of mutual assistance between transient people. Oddly, that incident will probably linger in my heart for a long time. Simply because it's fleeting, I think it stays with you a lot longer... like the cherry blossoms we Japanese love so much."

It is, indeed, adversity that inspires co-operation in Demon's Souls, a game that doesn't think twice about killing you at a nanosecond's notice in horrible and creative ways. "Because Demon's Souls is a game with a lot of dying in it, surely that kind of fleeting cooperation should come out of all the death - 'We're all dead, so let's help each other out'," suggests Miyazaki.

"It's a simple concept. But you don't know whom you will meet. Maybe the next person will be an enemy. That kind of encounter forms part of the larger storyline. There are constant surprises... the blue phantom that's helped you get through an area might, out of nowhere, turn into a black phantom that will kill you just as you're almost clear. Demon's Souls isn't like other RPGs. We've made a different storyline for every player. That's what the network's for; that's what the phantoms are."

"We made a game where rather than [giving players] a simple Game Over, we make them come back to an ephemeral existence as a phantom with less health, and this encourages people to co-operate in multiplayer. A darker existence as a Black Phantom has an even stronger incentive. Because you can both co-operate and aggravate through the unique multiplayer system, even if 100 players are role-playing, they will all have different experiences. Whether you behave as friend or foe is down to a person's character."

The message system, wherein you can leave messages for fellow hapless souls warning of danger ahead or begging for help, is another product of this fascinating multiplayer ideology, creating a sense of community that's both touching and entirely transient. The most you can ever know about a player is their name, should they invade your game as a blue or black phantom; messages, being anonymous, lack even that.

Miyazaki compares Demon's Souls' un-invasive multiplayer to text messaging, and other games' to phoning. "Text-message is less of a burden than a phone, basically," he says. "Firstly, we wanted to remove the instantaneousness of communication, and secondly we wanted to remove the physicality of it - that is, the voice. What was born out of those two concepts is this asynchronous online mode peculiar to Demon's Souls."

"Part of the idea behind the message system was that before, back when we didn't have so much information, everyone had to work together to help each other through games. The intention was to bring a sense of unity to players."

on party chat i think sony just wanted to keep their edge on this game. there is a lot of farming later in the game which chat would make that a lot more f un. rest is just pr.

i am getting it for 360 . i read stuff abou tthe compression at e3 b ut most the reports now say there just isn't any noticeable difference and honestly as a pc player, msot consoles look inferior either way. :)

[quote name='Kevfactor']on party chat i think sony just wanted to keep their edge on this game. there is a lot of farming later in the game which chat would make that a lot more f un. rest is just pr.

i am getting it for 360 . i read stuff abou tthe compression at e3 b ut most the reports now say there just isn't any noticeable difference and honestly as a pc player, msot consoles look inferior either way. :)[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it's all a fucking conspiracy, forget what the developers said, SMH.

DS was a work of art, and not being able to warn other players about a trap before it hits them is a huge part of it. I feel it is those little things that makes DS what it is, so why change it?

If you really must have party chat just play some dragon age 2 while wearing your heman pajamas.

Should a "company" tell you to turn off your phone during a big screen movie? Yes, because I ruins he experience. And the same goes for Dark Souls IMO.

bread's done
Back