Dark Souls pre-orders- free upgrade to collector's edition

hlaalumaster9

CAGiversary!
Currently in stock at Gamestop.com. Online only.

PS3

Xbox 360

Collectors Editions are presently in shortage at both online and b&m stores. Your best options for grabbing a CE:

You can try calling Gamestop, Walmart, or BestBuy and see if they have any extras beyond the pre-order batch. Make sure to see if they are doing a midnight launch. If not, go first thing in the morning

Stores that will NOT have CEs at all:

Target - $10 gift card with purchase
K-Mart/Sears - $20 gamer coupon with purchase
Newegg - Confirmed to be shipping out regular editions but is giving a $20 coupon in compensation

ATTN AMAZON BUYERS:
If you had preordered with release day shipping but the expected delivery date is anything later than 10/4/11, it would be in your best interest to contact Amazon CS and complain :p

While supplies last
- receive a FREE upgrade to the Collector's Edition of Dark Souls when you pre-order the Standard Edition at no extra cost.

Immerse yourself in the Dark Souls experience with the Collector's Edition, which comes wrapped inside a collectible custom designed metal case with protective sleeve, the highly anticipated Dark Souls game, a mini-strategy guide, unique art book packed with exclusive, high-quality imagery, the original soundtrack & behind-the-scenes videos taken with Dark Souls game development studio FromSoftware.

Dark Souls Collector's Edition Includes:
  • Special Designed Metal Tin Case & Protective Sleeve
  • Dark Souls Game
  • Mini-Strategy Guide*
  • Custom Art Book
  • Original Game Soundtrack*
  • Behind-The-Scenes Videos*
In stores October 4, 2011

*The Mini-Strategy Guide, Original Game Soundtrack & Behind-The-Scenes Videos are provided for digital download via a uniquely redeemable online code printed on a specially marked card inside each Collector Edition box.
SOURCE:

http://preparetodie.com/en/preorder/

DarkSouls_LimitedEdition_PS3.jpg

Amazon Bonus Offer:

Pre-order Dark Souls and trade-in any video game between September 22nd and October 3rd, and get a $5.00 gift card.

NOTE: Both PS3 CE and 360 CE lately show as out of stock

NOTE2: The product info for both CE and regular pages almost look the same

PS3 Collector's Edition $59.99 ASIN: B00542ZQJO

PS3 Regular $59.99 ASIN: B004NRN5EO

Xbox360 Collector's Edition $59.99 ASIN: B00542ZR4I

Xbox360 Regular $59.99 ASIN: B004NRN5DU

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='zethca']I doubt the mini guide will be anywhere near as good as the one from Futurepress. They are responsible for the best guides this console generation.[/QUOTE]

Future Press actually worked on the mini-guide. But yes, get the Future Press Guide. Master craftsmen.

[quote name='zethca']It's funny how crazy people are getting over this CE. It's completely worthless. A tin sleeve over the standard game and a dinky little art book the size of the game box. Really? There's a reason it's free folks. Be happy with the regular edition and get the 400pg hardcover Futurepress guide and thank me later.[/QUOTE]

It's not completely worthless. The metal case and artbook are worth something, as is "rarity". If someone doesn't want to wait years to play it, $60 is a decent deal for the CE.

That said, I expect the game to lose popularity long-term (because of its extreme difficulty) and thus lose value. I also decided not to buy the CE because of the crap that Namco was pulling. Gotta stand for something, you know, not just be a whore to these as*holes.

I will see what people say about its difficulty. If it's not that extreme, then I'll buy it when it hits $20.

Bummed about the lack of physical making of and soundtrack discs. I might have actually watched it! Now I doubt I will ever go through the trouble of downloading either. In the end it doesn't matter though I would buy this game day one no matter what.

Why does the UK edition get disks but not the US? Do they just hate Americans or something.

I noticed that in the Best Buy ad thread for next week, Dark Souls is listed as the Collector's edition. Does that mean it will be readily available if you didn't preorder?

[quote name='zethca']There's no metallic case or steelbox either. It's literally a shiny sleeve over the standard game.[/QUOTE]
Great source; why bother spreading misinformation when none of us have seen the US set yet?

The EU and Japanese versions are like that, why would the US be any different? It's Scamco we're talking about here. Also you get what you pay for.

[quote name='Teh Nitwit']I expect the game to lose popularity long-term (because of its extreme difficulty) and thus lose value[/QUOTE]
That's moronic. In an age of games easy enough for your deaf, blind & quadriplegic grandma, you can bet the value will soar just like Demons' Souls' collector's edition.

Though not as much due to all the digital crap.

[quote name='zethca']The EU and Japanese versions are like that, why would the US be any different? It's Scamco we're talking about here. Also you get what you pay for.[/QUOTE]
It is different. The US version has an art book and a metal case. Everything else in the US version is digital.

Like someone else said why the hell is there no unboxing of the US version yet. Would like to see it.

[quote name='chamber715']I noticed that in the Best Buy ad thread for next week, Dark Souls is listed as the Collector's edition. Does that mean it will be readily available if you didn't preorder?[/QUOTE]

it probably means they will only have the CE in stock which is awesome for those worried baout their Newegg/Amazon orders

[quote name='UberNinjaz']That's moronic. In an age of games easy enough for your deaf, blind & quadriplegic grandma, you can bet the value will soar just like Demons' Souls' collector's edition.

Though not as much due to all the digital crap.[/QUOTE]

Comparing it to Demon's Souls is a mistake. Dark Souls will be much harder that its predecessor. Plus, Demon's Souls CE was nicer, rarer, and published by Atlus.

The Sears in my neighborhood is notorious for putting games out early; last week they put Gears 3 out like 5 days early. I'll swing by today and have a look. I know they aren't supposed to have any CE's but it's starting to seem as though this "CE" might actually be just a initial launch "LE". Plus, I kind of find it hard to believe that Best Buy is still offering "CE" pre-orders with the game coming out in just 5 days not to mention Best Buy has stopped "CE" pre-orders within 3 weeks of launch on titles in the past. I just have gut feeling this "CE" will indeed only be a "LE" available to everyone initially.

[quote name='zethca']The EU and Japanese versions are like that, why would the US be any different? It's Scamco we're talking about here. Also you get what you pay for.[/QUOTE]

If only that logic were true! The US would have gotten way more awesome steelbook releases like the UK does. Different regions do different things. Hell, we don't even get collector editions a lot of times the UK does. I noticed this was especially the case for Square-Enix releases.

[quote name='RedFoxCommando']The Sears in my neighborhood is notorious for putting games out early; last week they put Gears 3 out like 5 days early. I'll swing by today and have a look. I know they aren't supposed to have any CE's but it's starting to seem as though this "CE" might actually be just a initial launch "LE". Plus, I kind of find it hard to believe that Best Buy is still offering "CE" pre-orders with the game coming out in just 5 days not to mention Best Buy has stopped "CE" pre-orders within 3 weeks of launch on titles in the past. I just have gut feeling this "CE" will indeed only be a "LE" available to everyone initially.[/QUOTE]

Once again no, Josh reported that K,art WILL NOT receive the collector edition.

Cancelled my order at Newegg and went up to my local Best Buy, they are still offering preorders for the Collectors Edition and the employee in the dept. said they had "plenty of stock" ready to go out on Tuesday. Hopefully this will help some of you guys out.

[quote name='Xellos2099']Once again no, Josh reported that K,art WILL NOT receive the collector edition.[/QUOTE]

If I've learned anything from this thread it's that anything and everything is all hearsay and speculation.

[quote name='lucid734']Cancelled my order at Newegg and went up to my local Best Buy, they are still offering preorders for the Collectors Edition and the employee in the dept. said they had "plenty of stock" ready to go out on Tuesday. Hopefully this will help some of you guys out.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='jacknicklson']
it probably means they will only have the CE in stock which is awesome for those worried baout their Newegg/Amazon orders [/QUOTE]

Thanks, guys, sounds like Best Buy is the way to go. There's one on my way home from work so I'll make a stop there tonight. Amazon still hasn't given me an answer as to which version I'll be getting, and I'm tired of their diddledicking around.

[quote name='zethca']The EU and Japanese versions are like that, why would the US be any different? It's Scamco we're talking about here. Also you get what you pay for.[/QUOTE]-1/10
[quote name='jacknicklson']Everyone bug this guy to show us what the case looks like :D

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t264/Gwok0/darksoulsearly-1.jpg[/QUOTE]
You can clearly see the steelbook defined by the rounded edges; oh man that looks sick! I think the slip is an overlay of the demon so it looks like a reflection on the helmet.

People are going to be sad they canceled.

[quote name='jacknicklson']I didnt even pick up on that, good eye!

This hype is killing me lol[/QUOTE]
I'm so glad I pre-ordered a second copy to keep sealed in my collection now; these are going to be worth a lot.

For those preordering in-store at BB, does the receipt actually say Collector's Edition on it? The last time I checked the preorder kiosk the picture was of the regular edition, just like it is on the BB website, so I decided against preordering with them. I really don't want to have to argue when I go to pick it up on Tuesday if the preorder slip doesn't have the CE wording while the kiosk said it was the CE.

Also, their track record with preorder bonuses/upgrades isn't particularly great. Back in July, I preordered Catherine and it was supposed to include the artbook and soundtrack bundled with the game, but they claimed they received the game only. I've had similar problems with other releases earlier in the year, so the extra RZ points just aren't worth the potential letdown.

[quote name='Kyoz']So my newegg pre-order might not be the CE?[/QUOTE]

nope, might not. So far anyone that has asked customer support has been told the version you will receive can not be confirmed. I was also told that if it is not the CE i receive, even though that is what i ordered, I can do a return but i must pay all expenses to do so because the product is not defective.

http://www.newegg.com/HelpInfo/OverView.aspx#ContactUsTab

Go to livechat on there, maybe you or someone else can get more info about if they actually have CE's and if they will give refunds with no fees if they don't. But the customer rep i spoke to just told me I should cancel my order.

IGN review is live, 9.0

This was somewhat troubling, I am hoping they didn't overcorrect by going too sadistic is certain areas:
There are times, though, when Dark Souls crosses the line from thrillingly challenging to straightforwardly sadistic. There are frog-like sewer-dwelling creatures that can Curse you with their attacks, instantly reducing your health bar to half its former size; the only way to get cured is to visit a healer hidden deep within a dangerous ghost-populated area that's a long, long journey away (or to buy an item from a vendor, if you've got enough souls).

Making your way through Dark Souls' death-trap world with half a health bar is hard enough,but the Curse effect stacks – so if you get caught again, you'll be down to a quarter of a health bar. A third time, you'll be down to an eighth. I know one Dark Souls player who lost something like 10 hours trying to make it to a healer when everything in the world could kill him with one hit. There's punishing, and then there's unfair.

One of the mid-game bosses, meanwhile, emits corrosive bile that swiftly degrades your equipment if you get stuck in its flow, potentially leaving you standing naked in front of a hideous dragon with a broken sword. There's no way to repair weapons and armor once they've been completely destroyed, so it's possible to lose all your best gear in this battle.

[quote name='zethca']It's funny how crazy people are getting over this CE. It's completely worthless. A tin sleeve over the standard game and a dinky little art book the size of the game box. Really? There's a reason it's free folks. Be happy with the regular edition and get the 400pg hardcover Futurepress guide and thank me later.[/QUOTE]

Agree with the guide comment. For a couple of bucks more than the price of the Demons Souls' Deluxe Edition, you can get the CE and a full featured guide from Future Press no less.

[quote name='Teh Nitwit']

That said, I expect the game to lose popularity long-term (because of its extreme difficulty) and thus lose value. .[/QUOTE]

Demons Souls says otherwise.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='RedFoxCommando']If I've learned anything from this thread it's that anything and everything is all hearsay and speculation.[/QUOTE]

Well then why don't you head over to the kmartgamer thread where SHC-Gamer/Josh has already verified it multiple times :roll:

[quote name='guardian_owl']IGN review is live, 9.0

This was somewhat troubling, I am hoping they didn't overcorrect by going too sadistic is certain areas:[/QUOTE]
Haha, holy shit that's awesome. Reminds me of how I'd grief people in SWG, because fire damage would cause 'black-barring' or wound damage meaning your health cap was lower and some people got bugged with -1 health, meaning a GM had to fix them because they were perma-incapped. Nobody would duel us commandos back then, because they knew we would just pull a flamethrower and end duel to watch them burn to death and black bar. Armor/weapon degrade rocks. Same deal as SWG, you always carried a backup set because once your shit was broken, you deleted it. You did everything in your power to not die, because death was meaningful. This could end up being my favorite game of all-time.

I ordered the Dark Souls Collector's Edition from DeepDiscount.com. My last two orders they have screwed up. One more strike and I'm done with them. To think back in the DeepDiscountDVD.com days they were superb. One of the few places I could remember that would beat Amazon on prices frequently. They bet not fail me this time.

LOL at everyone panicking to get the "collector's edition" at full MSRP, wow what an awesome deal! It'll be funny when Best Buy has them on the shelves next week, and people realize that all the panic about trying to lock in a CE was for nothing. Seems like everyone's been played pretty well on this one, good job Namco/Amazon/Newegg/etc.!

This reminds me of MvC3 initial rush for ce, now u can buy one off eBay for 30. Although to be fair capcom is known for printing massive quantities of their ce (zbrex Ed); I'm not sure how many namco will print out though. Initially I thought I could wait on this but seeing bf3 and that damn 1pm article comparing dark souls to castlevania & metroid I think I'm going head Down best buy soon.

[quote name='chimpmeister']LOL at everyone panicking to get the "collector's edition" at full MSRP, wow what an awesome deal! It'll be funny when Best Buy has them on the shelves next week, and people realize that all the panic about trying to lock in a CE was for nothing. Seems like everyone's been played pretty well on this one, good job Namco/Amazon/Newegg/etc.![/QUOTE]

Well if people are going to buy the game on Day 1 anyways, why would they not want all the CE extras for the same price?

[quote name='barrit']Well if people are going to buy the game on Day 1 anyways, why would they not want all the CE extras for the same price?[/QUOTE]

Exactly. I LOL at everyone LOLing over the "panic" to get the CE. First of all it isn't panic. Were buying the game for the game ultimately and no one wants to feel ripped off when they could have gotten a cooler metal case and book WITH the game for the SAME price.

It DOES NOT matter if the CE is available for 30 bucks in a few weeks, days, whatever, We were buying the game day one anyway because we love the GAME and are/were true fans of Demons Souls. Why not get a cool case and extras with it?

[quote name='twiceborn']Demons Souls says otherwise.[/QUOTE]

Are you suggesting that Demon's Souls difficulty is comparable to Dark Souls? If so, you obviously haven't been paying attention (or keeping your eyes open, considering just above your post is another that explains how ridiculously frustrating the game is).

[quote name='TPerryoo7']Exactly. I LOL at everyone LOLing over the "panic" to get the CE. First of all it isn't panic. Were buying the game for the game ultimately and no one wants to feel ripped off when they could have gotten a cooler metal case and book WITH the game for the SAME price.

It DOES NOT matter if the CE is available for 30 bucks in a few weeks, days, whatever, We were buying the game day one anyway because we love the GAME and are/were true fans of Demons Souls. Why not get a cool case and extras with it?[/QUOTE]

Oh I have no doubt that this will be an excellent (if extremely hard) game, and is worth getting for sure, and there's no problem wanting the CE if you're going to get it anyway. But the thing is, BB published in their weekly ad that the CE will be in stock, on the shelves, next week . . . so they'll probably be right there in the stores on Tuesday, CE and all. I seriously doubt BB will stock the shelves with regular editions. That's why I think all the panic is funny; these things will be around.

Do you guys know if small independent gameshops will carry Dark Souls CE? Also, did that one gamefaqs person ever post more pics of his NA Dark Souls CE? Judging from that one pic it looks like a steelbook (or a derivitive); good thing it's not just some foil slip cover.

Okay. I have made sense of Amazon.

Anyone contacting Amazon about their CE needs to specifically ask the chat monkeys to check the ASIN on their order.

B00542ZQJO = PS3 Collector's Edition

B004NRN5EO = PS3 Standard Edition

B00542ZR4I = XBox 360 Collector's Edition

B004NRN5DU = XBox 360 Standard Edition

If you pre-ordered the game and got the CE upgrade, at the top of the Standard Edition page, it will still have the yellow "You purchased this item on (Date)" message. HOWEVER. Click on "View this Order", then click the game title, and it will go to the page of the item you are actually getting.

For example, I pre-ordered while the CE upgrade was active. But when I view the SE page it says I purchased that item. But if I view my order and click Dark Souls there, I get taken to the CE page. Which means I am getting the CE.

Also you have to look at your browser's title bar, because that is the only place it will say Collector's Edtion. The item name on the listing page does not mention it, and even says Standard Edition.

ALSO also, the PS3 CE has a picture of the 360 cover.

Jesus Anusraping Christ, Amazon.

[quote name='chimpmeister']Oh I have no doubt that this will be an excellent (if extremely hard) game, and is worth getting for sure, and there's no problem wanting the CE if you're going to get it anyway. But the thing is, BB published in their weekly ad that the CE will be in stock, on the shelves, next week . . . so they'll probably be right there in the stores on Tuesday, CE and all. I seriously doubt BB will stock the shelves with regular editions. That's why I think all the panic is funny; these things will be around.[/QUOTE]

But will the collectors editions be 79.99?

Can they really put out a product at the same price, with one edition being significantly better?

thanks to gamefly, i have 2 copies of nfs: hot pursuit to trade for a total of 54$ at best buy. combined with the frys ad of a 50$ dark souls, i can get it for only 20 out of pocket release day!! noice!!!

[quote name='chimpmeister']LOL at everyone panicking to get the "collector's edition" at full MSRP, wow what an awesome deal! It'll be funny when Best Buy has them on the shelves next week, and people realize that all the panic about trying to lock in a CE was for nothing. Seems like everyone's been played pretty well on this one, good job Namco/Amazon/Newegg/etc.![/QUOTE]

Who's panicking is making you LOL so hard that you got to post it twice? I see people asking where they can still get one, since it is sold out everywhere on line. I see people mad about Newegg's fail and its crap return policy/customer service with this. But i wouldn't call that panicking.

It's a CE that while looking like it will be easy to get in store at bestbuy, is still limited, in high demand, including what would usually be $10-$30 worth of stuff for "free." Namco did f-up promising more than it is delivering, but it is still a good "free" CE to a great game. There is nothing wrong with wanting to lock that in

[quote name='Teh Nitwit']Are you suggesting that Demon's Souls difficulty is comparable to Dark Souls? If so, you obviously haven't been paying attention (or keeping your eyes open, considering just above your post is another that explains how ridiculously frustrating the game is).[/QUOTE]

Actually, I'm referring to the games popularity, should've made that clearer.

The Demon's Souls servers were scheduled to shut down several times and every time when it came close to the date of shut down, they have extended the time that they'll be up. Just recently it was announced that the DS server will remain up until sometime in 2012.

I can only assume it's because it's still popular enough that they're willing to spend money on maintaining the servers up.

[quote name='morrodox']Okay. I have made sense of Amazon.

Anyone contacting Amazon about their CE needs to specifically ask the chat monkeys to check the ASIN on their order.

B00542ZQJO = PS3 Collector's Edition

B004NRN5EO = PS3 Standard Edition

B00542ZR4I = XBox 360 Collector's Edition

B004NRN5DU = XBox 360 Standard Edition

If you pre-ordered the game and got the CE upgrade, at the top of the Standard Edition page, it will still have the yellow "You purchased this item on (Date)" message. HOWEVER. Click on "View this Order", then click the game title, and it will go to the page of the item you are actually getting.

For example, I pre-ordered while the CE upgrade was active. But when I view the SE page it says I purchased that item. But if I view my order and click Dark Souls there, I get taken to the CE page. Which means I am getting the CE.

Also you have to look at your browser's title bar, because that is the only place it will say Collector's Edtion. The item name on the listing page does not mention it, and even says Standard Edition.

ALSO also, the PS3 CE has a picture of the 360 cover.

Jesus Anusraping Christ, Amazon.[/QUOTE]

A little confusing but it shows me with B00542ZR4I so that would mean I am getting the CE... Lets hope its true :p

[quote name='twiceborn']Actually, I'm referring to the games popularity, should've made that clearer.

The Demon's Souls servers were scheduled to shut down several times and every time when it came close to the date of shut down, they have extended the time that they'll be up. Just recently it was announced that the DS server will remain up until sometime in 2012.

I can only assume it's because it's still popular enough that they're willing to spend money on maintaining the servers up.[/QUOTE]

Dark Souls might even get Atlus even more Demons Souls sales from people who got Dark Souls but never played Demons (If they're out even there!)

bread's done
Back