Dark Souls pre-orders- free upgrade to collector's edition

hlaalumaster9

CAGiversary!
Currently in stock at Gamestop.com. Online only.

PS3

Xbox 360

Collectors Editions are presently in shortage at both online and b&m stores. Your best options for grabbing a CE:

You can try calling Gamestop, Walmart, or BestBuy and see if they have any extras beyond the pre-order batch. Make sure to see if they are doing a midnight launch. If not, go first thing in the morning

Stores that will NOT have CEs at all:

Target - $10 gift card with purchase
K-Mart/Sears - $20 gamer coupon with purchase
Newegg - Confirmed to be shipping out regular editions but is giving a $20 coupon in compensation

ATTN AMAZON BUYERS:
If you had preordered with release day shipping but the expected delivery date is anything later than 10/4/11, it would be in your best interest to contact Amazon CS and complain :p

While supplies last
- receive a FREE upgrade to the Collector's Edition of Dark Souls when you pre-order the Standard Edition at no extra cost.

Immerse yourself in the Dark Souls experience with the Collector's Edition, which comes wrapped inside a collectible custom designed metal case with protective sleeve, the highly anticipated Dark Souls game, a mini-strategy guide, unique art book packed with exclusive, high-quality imagery, the original soundtrack & behind-the-scenes videos taken with Dark Souls game development studio FromSoftware.

Dark Souls Collector's Edition Includes:
  • Special Designed Metal Tin Case & Protective Sleeve
  • Dark Souls Game
  • Mini-Strategy Guide*
  • Custom Art Book
  • Original Game Soundtrack*
  • Behind-The-Scenes Videos*
In stores October 4, 2011

*The Mini-Strategy Guide, Original Game Soundtrack & Behind-The-Scenes Videos are provided for digital download via a uniquely redeemable online code printed on a specially marked card inside each Collector Edition box.
SOURCE:

http://preparetodie.com/en/preorder/

DarkSouls_LimitedEdition_PS3.jpg

Amazon Bonus Offer:

Pre-order Dark Souls and trade-in any video game between September 22nd and October 3rd, and get a $5.00 gift card.

NOTE: Both PS3 CE and 360 CE lately show as out of stock

NOTE2: The product info for both CE and regular pages almost look the same

PS3 Collector's Edition $59.99 ASIN: B00542ZQJO

PS3 Regular $59.99 ASIN: B004NRN5EO

Xbox360 Collector's Edition $59.99 ASIN: B00542ZR4I

Xbox360 Regular $59.99 ASIN: B004NRN5DU

Last edited by a moderator:
Just found out about this CE hullabaloo a while ago, decided to contact a CSR via chat like many of you because Amazon was giving me mixed signals on which edition I'd actually be getting. The link to the product in order details directs me to the CE page, but the instant order update bar listed my edition as standard.

My chat transcript looked pretty close to what I've already seen in here, but since I preordered my copy before the CE was even available I wanted to see if they could confirm that my CE upgrade had been retroactively applied like it was supposed to be. I was told that I should have received some kind of confirmation email, which I didn't, so the CSR redirected me to some department that deals specifically with preorders and I'll get a response within "1-2 business days", by which time my copy will have probably already started processing. Guess we'll see when it gets here. The method posted above for checking if my order is the CE showed up as the CE, so here's hoping.

[quote name='Xenogears']Who's panicking is making you LOL so hard that you got to post it twice? I see people asking where they can still get one, since it is sold out everywhere on line. I see people mad about Newegg's fail and its crap return policy/customer service with this. But i wouldn't call that panicking.

It's a CE that while looking like it will be easy to get in store at bestbuy, is still limited, in high demand, including what would usually be $10-$30 worth of stuff for "free." Namco did f-up promising more than it is delivering, but it is still a good "free" CE to a great game. There is nothing wrong with wanting to lock that in[/QUOTE]

Just about everyone who preordered the game, in this thread, is freaking about whether they're getting the CE or regular. Newegg and Amazon preorders being the lions share, and everyone is flipping out. To be fair, Amazon has done an absolute horrendous job of identifying what versions people have ordered, Newegg has been beyond worthless about reassuring people who preordered from them (and they may not have any CEs at all, who knows), and if I were dealing with either company I'd be pissed too. I am just amazed at how poorly Namco handled the whole CE fiasco, starting with what is included in the CE edition, and ending with not communicating well with the big vendors like Amazon and Newegg, to name a few. The whole think is a big clusterfuck, you must admit.

the whole "if you pre-order, you will get a free upgrade to CE" was incredibly stupid and unnecessarily complicated for retailers to keep track of

they should have just called it an LE, where the first 50,000 copies or whatever have bonuses, and after that they just print standard editions

Just went to my local Worstbuy and preordered CE. The guy said the store has 20 copies sitting in the backroom and 2 of them is mine =)

[quote name='morrodox']Okay. I have made sense of Amazon.

Anyone contacting Amazon about their CE needs to specifically ask the chat monkeys to check the ASIN on their order.

B00542ZQJO = PS3 Collector's Edition

B004NRN5EO = PS3 Standard Edition

B00542ZR4I = XBox 360 Collector's Edition

B004NRN5DU = XBox 360 Standard Edition

If you pre-ordered the game and got the CE upgrade, at the top of the Standard Edition page, it will still have the yellow "You purchased this item on (Date)" message. HOWEVER. Click on "View this Order", then click the game title, and it will go to the page of the item you are actually getting.

For example, I pre-ordered while the CE upgrade was active. But when I view the SE page it says I purchased that item. But if I view my order and click Dark Souls there, I get taken to the CE page. Which means I am getting the CE.

Also you have to look at your browser's title bar, because that is the only place it will say Collector's Edtion. The item name on the listing page does not mention it, and even says Standard Edition.

ALSO also, the PS3 CE has a picture of the 360 cover.

Jesus Anusraping Christ, Amazon.[/QUOTE]

You broke it down very nice. I am in your boat pre ordering a long time ago. Always thought it was weird that that the yellow bar was on the standard and the CE page showed i didn't order it. But If i click on the item in my order I get taken to the CE page like you said. I don't want to chat with some dude from India about it for 15 minutes either, not that there's anything wrong with India.

If I don't get the CE I will literally shit all over myself.

[quote name='Xellos2099']Can we bring in frys paper on tuesday to best buy get the CE for $50?[/QUOTE]

It would be nice...but they might state the differences in Collector's and Standards. Give it a shot and report back!

I know I'm gonna give it a try, Gamestop pre-order cancelled, jumped shipped to BB to deplete GC's, and accumalate RZ points.

[quote name='TPerryoo7']Did you just now pre order it today, or was this from awhile back?[/QUOTE]Yes i just ordered on thursday.

Lol, so Best Buy is completely fucked. There was an internal memo saying the SKU for the regular and CE editions are the same, and that there was no way to differentiate the two for pre-orders.

My local store only got 1 CE for PS3, and 1 for 360. There are 2 pre-orders for the PS3 version so... either I or the other person is gonna get screwed.

Nice one Best Buy.

So Amazon just emailed me back saying they were mistaken about the standard PS3 version not being upgraded to the CE and that it will in fact be auto upgraded (so basically what everyone else heard from their CS reps). Guess I'll drop my Newegg order for Amazon's then and if I end up getting the standard one, I can call them out on it with the email.

"Hello,

I just wanted to send you a quick follow-up e-mail on our discussion regarding automatic up-gradation of your "Playstation 3 version of Dark Souls" to collectors edition.

I'm sorry for the incorrect information provided earlier. After some investigation, I found that pre-ordered Dark Souls will receive an automatic upgrade to the Collector's Edition for no extra charge. The Collector's Edition will include a limited edition art book, a mini-strategy guidebook and behind-the-scenes videos and the game's soundtrack for digital download -- all packaged with the game in a custom-designed metal case.

If you would like to place the order, here is the link:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004NRN5EO

I hope this helps! We look forward to seeing you again soon.
"

[quote name='hyukevain']So Amazon just emailed me back saying they were mistaken about the standard PS3 version not being upgraded to the CE and that it will in fact be auto upgraded (so basically what everyone else heard from their CS reps). Guess I'll drop my Newegg order for Amazon's then and if I end up getting the standard one, I can call them out on it with the email.

"Hello,

I just wanted to send you a quick follow-up e-mail on our discussion regarding automatic up-gradation of your "Playstation 3 version of Dark Souls" to collectors edition.

I'm sorry for the incorrect information provided earlier. After some investigation, I found that pre-ordered Dark Souls will receive an automatic upgrade to the Collector's Edition for no extra charge. The Collector's Edition will include a limited edition art book, a mini-strategy guidebook and behind-the-scenes videos and the game's soundtrack for digital download -- all packaged with the game in a custom-designed metal case.

If you would like to place the order, here is the link:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004NRN5EO

I hope this helps! We look forward to seeing you again soon.
"[/QUOTE]

Yea Im SERIOUSLY thinking this is the way to go, honestly if this many Amazon reps are saying this, then theres gonna be a lot of people in trouble, because I know you and anyone else, Like myself, will raise a little hell to give me what I want! muwaha.

at least it might net us some extra amazon credit or something if we get the regular edition, and have proof of what amazon said.

To be honest Im pretty faithful. It is a pre order after all, I think retailers are just being cautious about stock and will provide all pre orders with CE's as it states on numerous advertisements around the web and Namcos site. Ive NEVER seen any official cut off date.

[quote name='wizzyx3']Just went to my local Worstbuy and preordered CE. The guy said the store has 20 copies sitting in the backroom and 2 of them is mine =)[/QUOTE]

Argh, hearing about all this stock is making me DIE for an unboxing!!! I need to see this Muther...

[quote name='morrodox']Okay. I have made sense of Amazon.

Anyone contacting Amazon about their CE needs to specifically ask the chat monkeys to check the ASIN on their order.

B00542ZQJO = PS3 Collector's Edition

B004NRN5EO = PS3 Standard Edition

B00542ZR4I = XBox 360 Collector's Edition

B004NRN5DU = XBox 360 Standard Edition

If you pre-ordered the game and got the CE upgrade, at the top of the Standard Edition page, it will still have the yellow "You purchased this item on (Date)" message. HOWEVER. Click on "View this Order", then click the game title, and it will go to the page of the item you are actually getting.

For example, I pre-ordered while the CE upgrade was active. But when I view the SE page it says I purchased that item. But if I view my order and click Dark Souls there, I get taken to the CE page. Which means I am getting the CE.

Also you have to look at your browser's title bar, because that is the only place it will say Collector's Edtion. The item name on the listing page does not mention it, and even says Standard Edition.

ALSO also, the PS3 CE has a picture of the 360 cover.

Jesus Anusraping Christ, Amazon.[/QUOTE]
The best part is the standard edition shows the CE cover and vice-versa. ROFL!

[quote name='TPerryoo7']Yea Im SERIOUSLY thinking this is the way to go, honestly if this many Amazon reps are saying this, then theres gonna be a lot of people in trouble, because I know you and anyone else, Like myself, will raise a little hell to give me what I want! muwaha.

at least it might net us some extra amazon credit or something if we get the regular edition, and have proof of what amazon said.

To be honest Im pretty faithful. It is a pre order after all, I think retailers are just being cautious about stock and will provide all pre orders with CE's as it states on numerous advertisements around the web and Namcos site. Ive NEVER seen any official cut off date.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. My confirmation email says CE and the person in chat overseas somewhere also said I will be getting the CE. I'll probably keep the order but may stop by a couple of Best Buy's on the way home on Tuesday as well.

I ordered from Best Buy today too. Just chatted with a Newegg rep. just now and she kept telling me that they never had such a thing as Dark Souls CE, just regular edition LOL. She suggested me to contact the manufacturer. So I said i am ordering from Newegg, how is contacting them gonna solve my problem? Then she just said "just request an RMA # for full refund if you don't get the edition you want"

Talk about awesome customer service, eh?

Cancelled my pre order from Amazon, it was the CE, but Release day shipping wouldn't show up on shipping choices so I said eff it. Preordered it from best buy, going to show up right at 10 to pick it up if its true that they only have 1 or 2 of the CEs.
Btw, anyone know if I can price match it with Fryes $50 deal or Targets $10 Giftcard, when I pick it up?

[quote name='akuma77']ill pick this game up in a few weeks when price drop goes to $30 like deus ex[/QUOTE]

I'll get it day 1 and match it within 45 days like Deus ex except no $10 preorder bonus this time.

[quote name='akuma77']ill pick this game up in a few weeks when price drop goes to $30 like deus ex[/QUOTE]

Good luck with that one. This isn't your run of the mill, big release. Demon Souls didn't drop for almost a year.

[quote name='jmbreci']Good luck with that one. This isn't your run of the mill, big release. Demon Souls didn't drop for almost a year.[/QUOTE]
it was also an atlas game.

now its not.

[quote name='jmbreci']Good luck with that one. This isn't your run of the mill, big release. Demon Souls didn't drop for almost a year.[/QUOTE]

I got Demons Souls for $30 about 6 months after release.

I'll head over to my local bestbuy and see if I can still snag a CE pre-order, I'll still keep my newegg pre-order just in case....

This is all one huge mess, blahhhh! :roll:

I seriously think whoever posted the pic of Dark Souls CE just took a quick pic at work... if not why hasn't images of it unboxing emerged? Went to two walmarts and no luck, but I know they have a ton of Fallout New Vegas....

[quote name='chimpmeister']It is a giant clusterfuck for sure.[/QUOTE]
Definitely. I'm sure Namco is mostly to blame for it too. First we have no idea what the CE is, now those that stuck with them anyway don't even know if they have a CE ordered.

[quote name='wizzyx3']I ordered from Best Buy today too. Just chatted with a Newegg rep. just now and she kept telling me that they never had such a thing as Dark Souls CE, just regular edition LOL. She suggested me to contact the manufacturer. So I said i am ordering from Newegg, how is contacting them gonna solve my problem? Then she just said "just request an RMA # for full refund if you don't get the edition you want"

Talk about awesome customer service, eh?[/QUOTE]

Namco comes off as shady from this, but Newegg comes off as a jackass. Thats the same i got from my Newegg customer rep, but at least your rep offered a refund. The guy i talked to said it would not be a fully covered refund if i got the standard edition and wanted to return it. I would be out shipping and fees because the product is not "defective." fuck that.

[quote name='crystalklear64']it was also an atlas game.

now its not.[/QUOTE]
and a ps3 exclusive, now being multiplatform it will drop even quicker, considering the game will not have that big of an outing on the west giving the fact that 70% of gamers here are afraid of a challenge ( call of duty sales says im right ) the game will drop like flies and we will start seeing collectors edition for grabs at every retailer

[quote name='dEvAnGeL']and a ps3 exclusive, now being multiplatform it will drop even quicker, considering the game will not have that big of an outing on the west giving the fact that 70% of gamers here are afraid of a challenge ( call of duty sales says im right ) the game will drop like flies and we will start seeing collectors edition for grabs at every retailer[/QUOTE]

Nothing I love more than when someone gets in an unrelated a dig at a popular FPS game just because they don't like it. That's constructive and not silly or asking for trouble.

[quote name='cruzadel']I got Demons Souls for $30 about 6 months after release.[/QUOTE]
By then they already had the regular copies. We're talking about the limited edition boxsets =\

People need to stop worrying about it. The CE is garbage. It's not a "limited edition box set".

There is no steel book, there is no tin case. It's the standard game with a metallic sleeve over it and an artbook. It's not worth the time people are spending trying to get it. I don't know why, but it's driving me insane for some reason. Last post I make about it, promise :p

[quote name='dEvAnGeL']and a ps3 exclusive, now being multiplatform it will drop even quicker, considering the game will not have that big of an outing on the west giving the fact that 70% of gamers here are afraid of a challenge ( call of duty sales says im right ) the game will drop like flies and we will start seeing collectors edition for grabs at every retailer[/QUOTE]

Not sure who is worse - you or the guy you responded to. CrystalKlear is ignorant to the facts since all Atlus did was publish the game. FROM Software developed it and is the developer of Dark Souls.

Saying it is multiplatform has nothing to do with pricing drops. That's like saying DDRx RAM prices dropped because they are multiplatform. It's simple economics - supply & demand and people trying to maximize profits. Not because it is multiplatform.

While you may see CE's at a few vendors, I doubt they will be "all over the place" like Killzone 3, COD whatever, Halo, and any of the others. I will be utterly shocked if you can still pick them up at the end of October, let alone 6 months later like those. The game, yes. The CE - not so much.

My guess is the reason BB will have them is that they inflated their pre-order number so that they could have some to put on the shelves. I highly doubt they can return any of those or get discounts on future products based on those like they can with other games sitting on the shelves. They will be stuck with those at cost and the same with any other vendor.

And my god, please let the 360 people quit whining about no in-game chat. It is part of the allure and would spoil a major part of the game. If you have not played DS then you have no idea what I am talking about. Before I get any flames for this, I own all 3 major systems. I'm telling you that you do not know what you are talking about here. This is a unique co-op experience. It is not meant to be COD or like any other co-op you've experienced. I do like the improvements on the invasion system though. It will not stop it, but you have a method for leaving a mark for them.

[quote name='zethca']People need to stop worrying about it. The CE is garbage. It's not a "limited edition box set".

There is no steel book, there is no tin case. It's the standard game with a metallic sleeve over it and an artbook. It's not worth the time people are spending trying to get it. I don't know why, but it's driving me insane for some reason. Last post I make about it, promise :p[/QUOTE]

requesting a source for this

the official site states "tin case and protective sleeve"

[quote name='zethca']The whole first run is CE. You'll be able to walk into target/kmart day one and get it.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='zethca']It's funny how crazy people are getting over this CE. It's completely worthless. A tin sleeve over the standard game.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='zethca']There's no metallic case or steelbox either. It's literally a shiny sleeve over the standard game.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='zethca']People need to stop worrying about it. The CE is garbage. It's not a "limited edition box set".

There is no steel book, there is no tin case. It's the standard game with a metallic sleeve over it and an artbook.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='nieon']requesting a source for this[/QUOTE]

Don't bother. He has no real information but has been trolling this thread hard acting like an authority.

Now if you want some tangible info ...

[quote name='jacknicklson']Everyone bug this guy to show us what the case looks like :D

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t264/Gwok0/darksoulsearly-1.jpg[/QUOTE]

[quote name='zethca']Last post I make about it, promise :p[/QUOTE]

One can only hope.

"It appears to be FROM's mission to send you into harrowing spirals of despondency and self-pity at every opportunity."
--From IGN's PS3 review (http://ps3.ign.com/articles/119/1197278p1.html)

I think that statement pretty much ensures this game will be fairly cheap within a few months. No one wants to keep a game they hate. Especially with Skyrim beckoning around the corner.

[quote name='Mad dog']"It appears to be FROM's mission to send you into harrowing spirals of despondency and self-pity at every opportunity."

I think that statement pretty much ensures this game will be fairly cheap within a few months. No one wants to keep a game they hate. Especially with Skyrim beckoning around the corner.[/QUOTE]

So rhetoric from a review ensures a price drop? Good to know, thanks.

[quote name='Mad dog']"It appears to be FROM's mission to send you into harrowing spirals of despondency and self-pity at every opportunity."

I think that statement pretty much ensures this game will be fairly cheap within a few months. No one wants to keep a game they hate. Especially with Skyrim beckoning around the corner.[/QUOTE]

The difficulty of the game is one of the most important aspects that attracts most of Demon's/Dark Souls audience. If you don't want a hardcore experience, don't bother with the game, it's not the game for you.

[quote name='salty tbone']So rhetoric from a review ensures a price drop? Good to know, thanks.[/QUOTE]

Obviously presuming he's correct.

[quote name='Mad dog']Obviously presuming he's correct.[/QUOTE]

You mean the same reviewer that gave it a 9.0 (amazing) overall score? And a 9.5 for "lasting appeal"?

The only thing this thread is missing now is Rollingskull to jump in with his enlightened opinion.

[quote name='jmbreci']Not sure who is worse - you or the guy you responded to. CrystalKlear is ignorant to the facts since all Atlus did was publish the game. FROM Software developed it and is the developer of Dark Souls.

Saying it is multiplatform has nothing to do with pricing drops. That's like saying DDRx RAM prices dropped because they are multiplatform. It's simple economics - supply & demand and people trying to maximize profits. Not because it is multiplatform.

While you may see CE's at a few vendors, I doubt they will be "all over the place" like Killzone 3, COD whatever, Halo, and any of the others. I will be utterly shocked if you can still pick them up at the end of October, let alone 6 months later like those. The game, yes. The CE - not so much.

My guess is the reason BB will have them is that they inflated their pre-order number so that they could have some to put on the shelves. I highly doubt they can return any of those or get discounts on future products based on those like they can with other games sitting on the shelves. They will be stuck with those at cost and the same with any other vendor.

And my god, please let the 360 people quit whining about no in-game chat. It is part of the allure and would spoil a major part of the game. If you have not played DS then you have no idea what I am talking about. Before I get any flames for this, I own all 3 major systems. I'm telling you that you do not know what you are talking about here. This is a unique co-op experience. It is not meant to be COD or like any other co-op you've experienced. I do like the improvements on the invasion system though. It will not stop it, but you have a method for leaving a mark for them.[/QUOTE]

Ummm,I platinumed demon souls and I am PISSED about party chat being blocked..I like being able to talk to my friends as I play games.But I guess I don't know what I'm talking about eh ;).

[quote name='Mad dog']What I'm saying is a lot of people will buy the game, then realize it's actually very challenging and sell it used.[/QUOTE]

Like with Demon's Souls and the quick price drop that game had, right?

bread's done
Back