Dark Souls pre-orders- free upgrade to collector's edition

hlaalumaster9

CAGiversary!
Currently in stock at Gamestop.com. Online only.

PS3

Xbox 360

Collectors Editions are presently in shortage at both online and b&m stores. Your best options for grabbing a CE:

You can try calling Gamestop, Walmart, or BestBuy and see if they have any extras beyond the pre-order batch. Make sure to see if they are doing a midnight launch. If not, go first thing in the morning

Stores that will NOT have CEs at all:

Target - $10 gift card with purchase
K-Mart/Sears - $20 gamer coupon with purchase
Newegg - Confirmed to be shipping out regular editions but is giving a $20 coupon in compensation

ATTN AMAZON BUYERS:
If you had preordered with release day shipping but the expected delivery date is anything later than 10/4/11, it would be in your best interest to contact Amazon CS and complain :p

While supplies last
- receive a FREE upgrade to the Collector's Edition of Dark Souls when you pre-order the Standard Edition at no extra cost.

Immerse yourself in the Dark Souls experience with the Collector's Edition, which comes wrapped inside a collectible custom designed metal case with protective sleeve, the highly anticipated Dark Souls game, a mini-strategy guide, unique art book packed with exclusive, high-quality imagery, the original soundtrack & behind-the-scenes videos taken with Dark Souls game development studio FromSoftware.

Dark Souls Collector's Edition Includes:
  • Special Designed Metal Tin Case & Protective Sleeve
  • Dark Souls Game
  • Mini-Strategy Guide*
  • Custom Art Book
  • Original Game Soundtrack*
  • Behind-The-Scenes Videos*
In stores October 4, 2011

*The Mini-Strategy Guide, Original Game Soundtrack & Behind-The-Scenes Videos are provided for digital download via a uniquely redeemable online code printed on a specially marked card inside each Collector Edition box.
SOURCE:

http://preparetodie.com/en/preorder/

DarkSouls_LimitedEdition_PS3.jpg

Amazon Bonus Offer:

Pre-order Dark Souls and trade-in any video game between September 22nd and October 3rd, and get a $5.00 gift card.

NOTE: Both PS3 CE and 360 CE lately show as out of stock

NOTE2: The product info for both CE and regular pages almost look the same

PS3 Collector's Edition $59.99 ASIN: B00542ZQJO

PS3 Regular $59.99 ASIN: B004NRN5EO

Xbox360 Collector's Edition $59.99 ASIN: B00542ZR4I

Xbox360 Regular $59.99 ASIN: B004NRN5DU

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='sgaldis']I don't know why Wal Mart B&M stores would have them, but it is listed in the OP, so I'm gonna check in a bit. Do they even have a system in place to place pre-orders in store?[/QUOTE]

No, but I'd still give them a shot as well as Fry's if you have one in your area.

[quote name='Dwarfman']Isn't calling one of the major sins of CAG? :p[/QUOTE]

Only if you're trying to take advantage of a deal that's flying under the radar. The last thing you want to do is call attention to the pricing mistake, coupon stacking, etc.

In this instance, calling to check stock is just fine. Whether the person you get has the slightest idea is another story.

I just did a search on Gamestop.com for the Collector's Edition and 3 of my local Gamestops and 1 Target store said it's In Stock. Would you guys think they mean the Regular or Collector's? I live in a small-ish town so I can see it being the Collector's Edition.

[quote name='sonicsam']I just did a search on Gamestop.com for the Collector's Edition and 3 of my local Gamestops and 1 Target store said it's In Stock. Would you guys think they mean the Regular or Collector's? I live in a small-ish town so I can see it being the Collector's Edition.[/QUOTE]

Target is probably a no go. I work for target and we only got 2 copies of Dark Souls for each system and I checked in the back and they were all Standard edition.

[quote name='sonicsam']I just did a search on Gamestop.com for the Collector's Edition and 3 of my local Gamestops and 1 Target store said it's In Stock. Would you guys think they mean the Regular or Collector's? I live in a small-ish town so I can see it being the Collector's Edition.[/QUOTE]

i work right next to a gamestop and went over there as soon as i got my newegg cancellation this afternoon. they ordered 1 extra copy for each system and i wouldnt be surprised if other gamestops did the same...i was able to buy the extra ps3 one they had in stock - picking it up tomorrow!

if its listed as collectors, then it will be the collectors.

I was the one who posted the story up on GameFAQs about the BB debacle. They say EVERYONE that preordered will NOT be getting the Collector's Edition. Only the Standard Edition along with a $20 gift card that CAN be used towards the purchase of the game.

I pre-ordered at Amazon in May so I "should" be getting the CE. However, I just changed my shipping speed to 2 day since I always put standard when I order something in case I want to cancel (forgot to switch it earlier). ETA is the 7th. I have a feeling I'm not gonna get the CE since Amazon has messed up a bunch of my orders.

On a side not I forgot I pre-ordered at Newegg. Void order and free $20 credit is good.

also does anyone have the link for the "official" statement on which stores would be getting the CE?

[quote name='DangKid']I was the one who posted the story up on GameFAQs about the BB debacle. They say EVERYONE that preordered will NOT be getting the Collector's Edition. Only the Standard Edition along with a $20 gift card that CAN be used towards the purchase of the game.[/QUOTE]

Getting it for 39.99 + tax on release day might be a better deal than getting a CE lol

Not for the people who REALLY want the CE...but for some people for sure.

[quote name='Gamer SDP']I pre-ordered at Amazon in May so I "should" be getting the CE. However, I just changed my shipping speed to 2 day since I always put standard when I order something in case I want to cancel (forgot to switch it earlier). ETA is the 7th. I have a feeling I'm not gonna get the CE since Amazon has messed up a bunch of my orders.

On a side not I forgot I pre-ordered at Newegg. Void order and free $20 credit is good.

also does anyone have the link for the "official" statement on which stores would be getting the CE?[/QUOTE]

http://www.preparetodie.com/en/preorder/

[quote name='folkmojo']Getting it for 39.99 + tax on release day might be a better deal than getting a CE lol

Not for the people who REALLY want the CE...but for some people for sure.[/QUOTE]

This was going to be my first ever preorder and first brand new game in years. Unfortunately, I was extremely hyped up for this but now I don't think I will be able to enjoy it as much if my copy of the game is a clone of the rest in the stores. It's "special" feeling is no longer there.

Mine still hasn't shipped yet. I won't bother cancelling as I've pretty much decided at this point I also want Rage. I'm pissed right now, just got back from Gamestop midnight launch (friend was getting it, I was gonna get Rage and the guide for Dark Souls), and scumbag Gamestop wasn't open. It's listed on the website and we asked them last week. They didn't even leave a note on the door or anything.

[quote name='DangKid']This was going to be my first ever preorder and first brand new game in years. Unfortunately, I was extremely hyped up for this but now I don't think I will be able to enjoy it as much if my copy of the game is a clone of the rest in the stores. It's "special" feeling is no longer there.[/QUOTE]

I am sorry to hear that. Feeling let down by something that should bring joy SUCKS.

Personally, I think Bandi did a HORRIBLE job implementing this promotion. It makes me wish Atlus was the publisher. Something tells me they would have done it in a way where tons of people didn't get screwed over.

[quote name='Madrocsz']double post lag fail[/QUOTE]

Out here now. See SE 360 on the shelves. Guy's checking the back for PS3 CE. Update in a min.

This is the biggest preorder fiasco ever. Not only did they keep taking stuff out of the CE, but it seems like the only stores that are even getting any are gamestop and amazon? I cancelled my Amazon preorder from way back because newegg had it for $50 and now they emailed me saying its cancelled.

[quote name='proKoyeon']i work right next to a gamestop and went over there as soon as i got my newegg cancellation this afternoon. they ordered 1 extra copy for each system and i wouldnt be surprised if other gamestops did the same...i was able to buy the extra ps3 one they had in stock - picking it up tomorrow!

if its listed as collectors, then it will be the collectors.[/QUOTE]

Alright sweet! I have a Gamestop like 5 mins away by car I can check bright and early tomorrow before my class starts.. I'll just try that store and if they don't have it, I don't think I'll get a Standard until the price goes down a bit.

[quote name='Mishimaryu']pre-ordered CE a few months back and weight is showing 0.4 lbs from UPS tracking info Damn you Amazon!

:hot::hot::hot:[/QUOTE]

My CE shows up as "0.2747 lbs." from Best Buy.

My friend who went to a Gamestop midnight launch for Rage in NYC said they only had enough CEs of Dark Souls for preorders, so it's a no go there...

No more newegg for pre-orders for me. Used the coupon to pick up gunstringer for 20.

Kinda lame that they basically voided the $10 discount they had a few months ago.

Yes I got the CE, the tin's kinda cheasy imo and I don't like the graphic on it. Don't really care about the artbook in all I think I prefered the Demons souls CE to this.

[quote name='Mishimaryu']pre-ordered CE a few months back and weight is showing 0.4 lbs from UPS tracking info Damn you Amazon!

:hot::hot::hot:[/QUOTE]

I think it may be possible that this is still the CE but that it was shipped in a bubble mailer instead of a box. I think 1.5lbs for the CE is an inflated weight, used just because its being shipped in a box. The artbook is barely 32 pages correct?

Hmm there may be hope still.... lol

[quote name='KrizB']Namco loves the taste of all your fears, uncertainties, and doubts.

utaste.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Namco is a piss poor publisher and I'd love to have Atlus back. Ugh... I hate giving these goons my money.

[quote name='Poor2More']Well I try to have Amazon's back...looks like it is backfiring. My order was "Shipping Soon" and they charged me according to my bank account, I looked at my order now and it reverted back to "Not yet Shipped". Amazon are you trolling me?[/QUOTE]

Mine did the same thing. Was "Shipping Soon" all day, saw charge on CC, yet now it is "Not Yet Shipped". WTF.

Not a single CE at Walmart in New London CT, but they had the regular edition already on the shelves.

Unrelated, I found something even better. Five SEALED COLLECTOR'S EDITIONS of Tabula Rasa. fuck year.

They should have just cloned the damn Atlus set from 2009 with a slipcover, artbook, cd and physical guide for an extra ten bucks and sold it through the first shipment. Now people who have had pre-orders from months are being left in the cold, this is stupid.

I don't think I'm getting the Ace Combat game.. for a very long time. Damn You NamcoBandai and your mean limitation. We have a right to complain since more than three retailers have had to basically tell their customers they're screwed. The website/retailer pays for that, not NB. >=[

Update on my end. Guy couldn't find a single copy in the back. There were 2 standard edition 360 copies in the case but that's it. Odd indeed.

[quote name='Luketaru']I think it may be possible that this is still the CE but that it was shipped in a bubble mailer instead of a box. I think 1.5lbs for the CE is an inflated weight, used just because its being shipped in a box. The artbook is barely 32 pages correct?

Hmm there may be hope still.... lol[/QUOTE]

That ^ is possible. A Standard PS3/360 game in a bubble mailer weighs somewhere between ~ 4 and 5 ounces. Rairly do they weigh more. 360 game sometimes weigh less then four ounces.

So 4 oucnes would be .25lbs and 5 ounces would be a little more then .3lbs.

I still find it hard to believe that with a steel book it can weigh just 8ounces (.5lbs) but it is still quite possible.

Artbooks 30 pages 32 if you count the blank front/back page and its also kinda cheap imo but it's not my kind of thing so others may like it.

This is gonna be a real shitstorm trying to track one of these down tomorrow. I have had one pre-ordered and fully paid off at a GS for at least 3 months; they called me tonight and told me no midnight release, because they have received NO copies of their new releases! I'm praying that they'll be in around noon tomorrow...

Only reasons I think it's possible is because this guy preordered months in advance from amazon, so ideally there is no reason why he should not have a CE otw. Also, it is just a tin case, not a steelbook from what I've read. A lot of people are saying it's pretty cheap quality overall so maybe not too much that we're really missing out on.

[quote name='Nogib']Mine did the same thing. Was "Shipping Soon" all day, saw charge on CC, yet now it is "Not Yet Shipped". WTF.[/QUOTE]

Yep I dont know what is going on, but I have a feeling they ran out of CE, and reverted ours back to "Not Yet Shipped", Hopefully I see it shipped when I wake up, if not then Amazon will hear from me for sure.

Well guys, I'm going to check on this later on at night. No midnight release for about 50 miles away from me so I'll check in the morning. Here's what I'll do: I'll check out Gamestop in person tomorrow for the CE, and if they don't I'll call the other 2 and ask for them. I hate to admit this but I never played Demon Souls but I want to try Dark Souls ASAP. IF i do find one and buy it and SOMEHOW I don't like it/I realize I won't be very good at it (for any reason), I'll come back to this topic and be willing to send it to someone for just the cost of the game+shipping (no extra charges). That's all I can do.

Well, oddly enough my pre-order for Rage hasn't shipped yet either. Both say "Shipping Soon". One with 1 day shipping, the other with Release Date Shipping. Something tells me I'm not getting Rage today . . . well, the kind of Rage I was hoping for at least.

[quote name='sonicsam']Well guys, I'm going to check on this later on at night. No midnight release for about 50 miles away from me so I'll check in the morning. Here's what I'll do: I'll check out Gamestop in person tomorrow for the CE, and if they don't I'll call the other 2 and ask for them. I hate to admit this but I never played Demon Souls but I want to try Dark Souls ASAP. IF i do find one and buy it and SOMEHOW I don't like it/I realize I won't be very good at it (for any reason), I'll come back to this topic and be willing to send it to someone for just the cost of the game+shipping (no extra charges). That's all I can do.[/QUOTE]

dammit where is the like button? :lol:

I called Amazon to ask the shipping weight, and I'm confident that it will be the CE now. Though it still hasn't shipped yet and she said it's scheduled to ship by tomorrow afternoon. I did this with the American CSR team, btw.

I know it was just piss poor planning, but part of me feels like Namco did this just to get people talking about the game and to sell extra copies on Ebay/Amazon for +$100.
:lol:

Oh, Amazon says my Dark Souls (DD Oct6) and Rage (DD Oct12) ship soon.

[quote name='Fearia']Well, oddly enough my pre-order for Rage hasn't shipped yet either. Both say "Shipping Soon". One with 1 day shipping, the other with Release Date Shipping. Something tells me I'm not getting Rage today . . . well, the kind of Rage I was hoping for at least.[/QUOTE]

My copy of Rage for 360 shipped from Newegg today, $43 total.

bread's done
Back