Dark Souls pre-orders- free upgrade to collector's edition

hlaalumaster9

CAGiversary!
Currently in stock at Gamestop.com. Online only.

PS3

Xbox 360

Collectors Editions are presently in shortage at both online and b&m stores. Your best options for grabbing a CE:

You can try calling Gamestop, Walmart, or BestBuy and see if they have any extras beyond the pre-order batch. Make sure to see if they are doing a midnight launch. If not, go first thing in the morning

Stores that will NOT have CEs at all:

Target - $10 gift card with purchase
K-Mart/Sears - $20 gamer coupon with purchase
Newegg - Confirmed to be shipping out regular editions but is giving a $20 coupon in compensation

ATTN AMAZON BUYERS:
If you had preordered with release day shipping but the expected delivery date is anything later than 10/4/11, it would be in your best interest to contact Amazon CS and complain :p

While supplies last
- receive a FREE upgrade to the Collector's Edition of Dark Souls when you pre-order the Standard Edition at no extra cost.

Immerse yourself in the Dark Souls experience with the Collector's Edition, which comes wrapped inside a collectible custom designed metal case with protective sleeve, the highly anticipated Dark Souls game, a mini-strategy guide, unique art book packed with exclusive, high-quality imagery, the original soundtrack & behind-the-scenes videos taken with Dark Souls game development studio FromSoftware.

Dark Souls Collector's Edition Includes:
  • Special Designed Metal Tin Case & Protective Sleeve
  • Dark Souls Game
  • Mini-Strategy Guide*
  • Custom Art Book
  • Original Game Soundtrack*
  • Behind-The-Scenes Videos*
In stores October 4, 2011

*The Mini-Strategy Guide, Original Game Soundtrack & Behind-The-Scenes Videos are provided for digital download via a uniquely redeemable online code printed on a specially marked card inside each Collector Edition box.
SOURCE:

http://preparetodie.com/en/preorder/

DarkSouls_LimitedEdition_PS3.jpg

Amazon Bonus Offer:

Pre-order Dark Souls and trade-in any video game between September 22nd and October 3rd, and get a $5.00 gift card.

NOTE: Both PS3 CE and 360 CE lately show as out of stock

NOTE2: The product info for both CE and regular pages almost look the same

PS3 Collector's Edition $59.99 ASIN: B00542ZQJO

PS3 Regular $59.99 ASIN: B004NRN5EO

Xbox360 Collector's Edition $59.99 ASIN: B00542ZR4I

Xbox360 Regular $59.99 ASIN: B004NRN5DU

Last edited by a moderator:
Kick in the nuts is what I got today. Amazon status changed from Not Yet to Shipping Soon around 2pm today. I was still hoping it just was being slow to update, so around 4.30 when the UPS truck pulled up in front of my house I ran from the back where the kids were playing only to see the driver cross the street and drop a package off there. So sad.

Status still says Shipping Soon with Oct 4 delivery. My order still says Dark Souls Collector's Edition, but instead of a listing that says the same, it just takes me to a 'Dark Souls' listing that has 'Collector's' selected as the edition. I still have high hopes, but am not optimistic.

I just wasted 29 minutes on the phone with Amazon about this BS. She said they haven't shipped a single Collector's Edition out to anyone yet!! I told her that's a bunch of crap, and she said she can't verify they have. Didn't offer me anything for the trouble.

They repeated over and over "We'll be sending out an email soon with details about the delay" and flat out told me to secure a copy elsewhere because they won't guarantee I'll get it, despite preordering on May 13th. fuck off Amazon!

[quote name='keithp']My bet is some kind of bodily fluid from one of the Amazon reps you guys have bugged the crap out of...[/QUOTE]

I placed my CE pre-order many many months ago and that was the end of it. I don't care as much as most.

[quote name='Gamelore']I just wasted 29 minutes on the phone with Amazon about this BS. She said they haven't shipped a single Collector's Edition out to anyone yet!! I told her that's a bunch of crap, and she said she can't verify they have. Didn't offer me anything for the trouble.

They repeated over and over "We'll be sending out an email soon with details about the delay" and flat out told me to secure a copy elsewhere because they won't guarantee I'll get it, despite preordering on May 13th. fuck off Amazon![/QUOTE]

The level CSR people can't do anything (if that's whom you talked to). Best thing to do, is click "No" on the follow-up survey e-mail and then speak with the American team.

for those that are getting specific weights like 1.4, what shipping carrier is it?

ontrac has mine as 1 lb. i checked some past orders (like madden) and it listed its weight as 1 letter

[quote name='blackwaltz34']for those that are getting specific weights like 1.4, what shipping carrier is it?

ontrac has mine as 1 lb. i checked some past orders (like madden) and it listed its weight as 1 letter[/QUOTE]

Mine was UPS and 1.4lbs

[quote name='Terlan']The cards kind of a hard plastic.[/QUOTE]
[quote name='Xenogears']Right, the code is on a plastic card. Its like a credit card. I moved my box some though, and heard no sounds. There is a cheap plastic interior inside the metal tin, that I could easily see getting broken. If it sounds like lots of little shards of plastic, or a big thing moving around, you might want to check. If it just sounds like a small plastic credit card sliding from side to side against plastic then I wouldn't worry at all[/QUOTE]

hmm tnx guys. It sounds like a tiny piece of plastic rattling around against other plastic. If you've ever got a game with one or two of the spindle teeth broken off, it sounds kinda like that. THough how one of the teeth would break without denting the tin, i dont know

[quote name='proKoyeon']the plastic slip cover on mine looks worn down around all edges...as if it were a year old or something, anyone elses look like this too?[/QUOTE]

not really worn but it seemed a bit loose and 'dirty' i guess would be the word. Definitely not super crisp and snug like i expected. YOu can see the pics quite a few pages back

http://home.comcast.net/~kenshindono/junk/darksouls1.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~kenshindono/junk/darksouls2.jpg

that coupled with the tiny rattling has me concerned, but i dont really wanna open it since i cant even play it right now anyway. Besides not like i could swap it for another if something IS wrong.

I still don't know whats up with the damn New Egg order! They just canceled it without informing me at all. To those of you who ordered through New Egg, did they send you an email about this and give you a 20 dollar credit? If so what was the email address you received notification from? I keep hearing people talk about that, but i have received no email, nor any credit! The only way i knew my order was canceled was by reading a thread about it here the other day that seems to be merged with this thread now. Thats bullshit. I emailed customer service but havent heard back yet. I better get a $20 credit or something, or i think my early foray into pre ordering through newegg is over.

[quote name='tranceFusion']Every single Gamestop anywhere near me shows as IN STOCK on their website.. are they toying with my my mind?[/QUOTE]

No, they do have them in stock. The thing is they are pre-orders that are in stock. I've already called 2 Gamestops and asked if they had any Dark Souls CEs. They told me yes, but they are all reserved for pre-orders.

[quote name='BackInBlack']While I have followed this thread I haven't really contributed. If this has already been posted sorry. GS has the CE's on their site now(not available online obviously)

http://www.gamestop.com/browse?nav=16k-dark+souls+collector+s+edition

Call up your GS's and see if they are willing to sell what I assume are preorders that still haven't been picked up.[/QUOTE]

They have a 48 hour hold minimum I believe as a corporate policy.

[quote name='N3UROP0D']I got mine from Amazon...preordered in May, and it's the CE. Big problem though. The slipcover was "taped" on to the tin with these super sticky round pieces of tape - top and bottom - and when I took them off there was HUGE amounts of gross residue stuck to the tin.

I'm afraid to try goo gone because it could wreck the paint and my mr. clean magic erasers aren't doing much...any ideas?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='HakaHina']Actually, does anyone have advice on how to remove the sticker residue from the slipcover/tin case? Kinda annoys me[/QUOTE]

I read other peoples lame advice, like tape, alcohol, and goo gone even after you said you dont want to try it o_O

I actually havent messed with it yet myself, but i was contemplating just using goof off. Goof off is way better than goo gone, but your concern about it maybe messing up the paint is valid. I will probably use the old dryer lint trick. Try this, it works wonders:

Take one of those fabric softener things you throw in the dryer. You know, like the bounce things. Throw it in the dryer for a few minutes untill its warm and soft. Take it out and rub the sticky parts. It will slowly take it off without damaging the surface. I use this trick to take sticker residue off cardboard art covers for games and it never damages them, so it should be fine for this too. Goof off will definitely work too but it may damage the case. Let me know what you try, because if you just try goof off/goo gone and it doesn't damage it, id prefer to try that. The only problem with the fabric softener method is it leaves your hands and the case smelling like a friggin spring morning for a while.

[quote name='blackwaltz34']for those that are getting specific weights like 1.4, what shipping carrier is it?

ontrac has mine as 1 lb. i checked some past orders (like madden) and it listed its weight as 1 letter[/QUOTE]

I had mine arrive via UPS and it was the CE in great condition too.

[quote name='Puppet Master']I had mine arrive via UPS and it was the CE in great condition too.[/QUOTE]
UPS (from Allentown, PA). 1.4lbs, CE in a wrap around box/sleeve (same kind they use with DVDs but bigger). Came in pretty good condition, with most the edges sharp and the tin looking good (no dents on the outside packing). Not 100% Mint, but good and a helluva lot better than the big fat nothing I got from Best Buy (thank God I didn't cancel this pre-order).

Also, I have Prime and ordered this back in July.

[quote name='patsrule316']Its a day later, and I still haven't received an e-mail from Newegg about why they canceled my preorder, an apology, or the 20 dollar discount. I will continue to tell people on any message board I go to that they should stay away from Newegg. They basically left it up to me to figure out that I wasn't getting what I preordered back in early August.[/QUOTE]

Im with you brother! Newegg is fucking fail right now. If i dont get a reply today im physically calling and chewing out some poor CS rep tomorow. This is bullshit. To those of you who did get the email and gift card.. what was the email adress? Im wondering if it just got lost i have have a backlog of email and it may have gone to spam or something

At least you Amazon guys are getting SOMETHING shipped. Newegg just canceled peoples orders outright without even informing them! Christ, even shitty ass Zavvi and stuff send you a damn email

[quote name='Agent 205']Well, I thought I would throw my story out there so others can benefit. The B&M store formerly known as Best Buy really tore it's dress with me. I went to the store now known as Worst Buy on Friday and placed a preorder for the Dark Souls CE for PS3. Please keep in mind that I had previously called the store earlier Friday to confirm that they were still taking preorders for the CE for PS3. Sure enough after waiting 10 minutes on hold the associate came back and told me that the kiosk was still accepting orders in store. So, I made the hour trip to this store and placed my $5 cash in the hands of the WB associate. He printed my preorder ticket from the kiosk and off I went for a weekend of R&R. Of course being a CAG, I was keeping tabs on this thread and reading the updates about how the CE was becoming scarce. So, after several attempts on Sunday afternoon I finally got this sweet young thing on the phone and she assured me that my preorder was safe and sound and would be held at the Customer Service Desk. I told her my concern and she reassured me in her Southern lilt that everything was fine. Being the trusting guy that I am I made the one hour return trip today knowing that what I found on the other end wouldn't be good. I faithfully made my way to the CS Desk expecting the worst and that is what I got. The sweetie that greeted me asked me what I needed and I informed her I was there to pick up my preorder for the DS CE. She got this wide-eyed 8-[8-[8-[ look on her face and looked frantically around for help. Another hottie came to the first damsel's rescue with the statement from corporate in her hand. They informed me that WB would offer me a $20 gift card because "they didn't have enough ordered". Well, sorry I am not going to let a retailer lie to me and get away with it. WB never should have offered the preorder if they didn't have stock on hand or in process from the distribution center. Am I to believe that a giant retailer like WB didn't have access to supplier shipments before today? I told the first hottie I would like my hard-earned $5 back and that she could keep my in-store pickup for Rage. As mentioned above, because I am a CAG, it kind of made me feel dirty paying full-retail MSRP for games anyways so it made my decision easy. I didn't raise a stink with management because I will let my money do the talking. I immediately went down the street to Kmart and got the same $20 offer without the benefit of being lied to. I doubt I will be setting a foot inside a WB anytime soon.[/QUOTE]

This made me smile =) Ya, i knew BB = WB for a long time now, They really pissed me off and lied to me about the warranty on a TV like over 10 years ago. I actually vowed to never buy from them again, and held that except for a couple games theyve had balls cheap over the past couple years

[quote name='Paladinion']got my confirmation my game shipped today and will get it tomorrow the 5th.[/QUOTE]Hooray, me too :D. I was worried, but Amazon definitely pulled through. For me, at least.

And who knows, maybe they'll issue some more credit for this whole situation. I never got any from the customer service reps I talked to, but it doesn't bug me.

Hopefully everyone still gets their orders!

i think i did good going to kmart today lol
the ups man usally never gets here till about 5-6 anyways. i think my area is like last on their rout trip or something.

[quote name='Nintendonly']How long are preorders held for until they become "free"?[/QUOTE]

Supposed to be 48 hours. Then again, i assume this is why my friend got screwed out of his CE. Apparently they were understocked and sold them without checking.

Worst part is i was at the midnight release, they were literally handing EVERYONE the standard version of the game, without even checking the receipts. I guess most people didnt notice, but i called it to thier attention pretty quickly and noticed there was only like 7 or 8 more CE's left in the drawer. (As opposed to the 30+ copies of the standard on the counter)

My copy arrived today only for me to open it an see a regular edition. So i contacted amazon CS in which the guy tells me if you preorderd after the 20th of september you do not qualify for the free upgrade. So i tell him this was said no where on the website to my knowledge , he tells me there is nothing he can do for me. But luckily for me i e-mailed CS after i placed my order to see i would be getting a CE in which they said i would. So after showing him the email he offers 10$ amazon credit for the misinformation.

If anyone's having issues with your order you should contact CS you might get some free amazon credit.

[quote name='Xtrminatr']"Sorry, this redemption code has expired."
about 20 minutes after i used it.really fucking cool[/QUOTE]

I have the exact same problem. Furthermore, couldn't download anything besides the ~750kb map since it took too damn long with Namco's crappy direct downloads.

This is what they have to say about it: http://support.namcobandaigames.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=244

So I would just recommend sending them an email and see what happens

got my CE, it wasn't nearly as hard to open as the "unboxing" video a couple pages back. I also went to gamestop and got my guide. The inventory said there were zero, but the smart manager knew that they didn't add the inventory yet and looked at the shipping date "1 day shipping oct 3". So she made someone go find the box, and sure enough there it was.

Dark Souls CE = good
Dark Souls Guide = good
Dark Soulds Game = Hard!

The metal tin is way too big for my game shelf, but it makes a great case for the Dark Souls art book and my Demon's Souls art book. Maybe they will mate and make a mini art book!

[quote name='chimpmeister']I couldn't be happier with how things turned out. Preordered two Dark Souls CEs from BB, one PS3 and one 360, from a high-volume local Best Buy. Went to he store today when it opened, and of course they had NO CEs in stock, and said they got none at all! But they offered me the $20 gift cards for each copy, which is fine with me. Bought both regular edition versions (one for each platform), used one giftcard on the other version, used a $5 RZ cert, and its all good. These games ended up being the equivalent of $40 on launch day (I do have one more $20 giftcard to use), which is great.

And from what I have been reading about the CEs, they pretty much blow. After hearing everything about them, I'm much happier with two regular versions at $40 a pop plus tax. I do think Namco totally screwed the pooch on the whole CE fiasco yet, from the neutering of the CE to the short supply to retailers . . . and its going to piss a lot of retailers AND gamers off about how they handled everything. But for me, the regular editions are fine, so its no problem. The cheap tin box and cheesy "artbook" certainly weren't worth all the hassle at all.

Oh, and I decided to pick up the Future Press guide, which sounds like it will be awesome; much better than the digital guide, which I already downloaded.

I decided to get this game after the high reviews I've read on several sites. I know it will be brutal, but it still sounds awesome. Haven't even had time to play my copies yet, my backlog is huge, including Rage (which is coming from Newegg in a day or so, and is something I've been looking forward to). I'm not mad about the CE clusterfuck at all, the only thing it did for me was net me both copies @40+tax each on release day, so its all good! :mrgreen:[/QUOTE]

I have to agree with you. I went to pick up both Rage and Dark Souls at my Best Buy. The manager looked for like 15 minutes and then came back and told me that they did not receive any collector's editions. While I didn't know about the gift card policy and the whole US wide CE debacle yet, I still played it up - stressing that I pre-ordered to get the CEs and it was now too late to get it elsewhere. In the end, I got the regular edition for 59.99 plus the 20 dollar gift card, plus an extra 10 dollars manually knocked off my copy of Rage by the manager as a "we're sorry" from her. Truthfully, she probably only did that because the wife and I shop there so much, most of the people know us by name. However, if my choice is a iffy art book, metal case, and downloadable soundtrack or 30 total dollars off my purchase ... I have to go with the 30. That's half off of Battlefield 3 at the end of the month.

P.S. I know that Best Buy tends to get bashed alot on this site, but I have always gotten great service from them. Hell, most of the customer service people don't even bother calling anymore when I ask for a price match - they just adjust it ... still remember a couple of Blu-Rays I bought a few months ago. I price matched one of them and the guy joked, "is that the only price match?" My reply was, "that's the only real one .... but if you like, I could make up one for the other movies." :lol:

[quote name='Kenshindono']guys! make sure you get the strategy guide from Gamestop. Eviently it came out for another system other than the ps3 and xbox, and only they have that version!

wtfdarksouls.jpg

... heh, sorry figured this thread could use some humor.. lotta pissed off people here. That is a real screenshot from my pickup order though. It gave me a chuckle[/QUOTE]

How the fuck?

Paid for release date delivery & it comes the day after release. The only person to blame naturally is Namco for pulling all this bullshit. Lack of common sense must be a requirement when applying for them apparently.

Pre-ordered at Best Buy, went in tonight to see if I'd have a CE, didn't expect one. They tried to sell me the regular edition, and I said that I wanted the CE. Their "offer" to me was to offer to cancel my pre-order and give me my $5 back. I obliged, then went and bought it at Kmart. I'll e-mail Best Buy corporate, they're more responsive & better to deal with than my awful, awful store. I don't really care about not getting the tin case or art pamphlet, but it's the principle of the thing.

I got my PS3 CE delivered by UPS this evening. I'll keep this one sealed for awhile. Sadly the hardcover guide still hasn't shipped yet. I need to get through Ico first and maybe there will be a deal on the regular edition soon.

[quote name='z-money']Pre-ordered at Best Buy, went in tonight to see if I'd have a CE, didn't expect one. They tried to sell me the regular edition, and I said that I wanted the CE. Their "offer" to me was to offer to cancel my pre-order and give me my $5 back. I obliged, then went and bought it at Kmart. I'll e-mail Best Buy corporate, they're more responsive & better to deal with than my awful, awful store. I don't really care about not getting the tin case or art pamphlet, but it's the principle of the thing.[/QUOTE]

Over the years I've learned not to buy from Best Buy or Gamestop. I'd rather take my business to Kmart or Amazon.

Mine is missing in Indiana like some previous posters.
It hasn't been scanned in 24 hours. Does anyone know what the heck is going on???

Scheduled Delivery:
Tuesday, 10/04/2011, By End of Day
Last Location:
Indianapolis, IN, United States, Monday, 10/03/2011

Shipped/Billed On:10/03/2011
Type:package
Weight:1.40 lbs

Indianapolis, IN, United States 10/03/2011 10:25 P.M. Origin Scan
United States 10/03/2011 6:54 P.M. Order Processed: Ready for UPS

My game shipped yesterday but i never received the game today! :( I contacted amazon and apparently it is still in transit and i will receive the game tomorrow. They issued me a $10 credit for the inconvenience. The rep assured it me was the collectors edition and seeing from the shipping info that the package is 1.30 lbs im really hoping it is. I ordered back in June.

[quote name='Bertuzzi']Mine is missing in Indiana like some previous posters.
It hasn't been scanned in 24 hours. Does anyone know what the heck is going on???

Scheduled Delivery:
Last Location:

United States 10/03/2011 6:54 P.M. Order Processed: Ready for UPS[/QUOTE]

Im in the same boat as you...

Finally got my shipping confirmation from Amazon. They say it's the CE (I had pre-ordered the regular version of the game back in June), but considering it takes forever and a day to get to Hawaii, I won't know until next week if it's truly the CE or not.

I preordered at Best Buy, but they didn't get any Collector's Edition. I asked about the $20 gift card memo, but they didn't get it. I asked a manager to double check, and they ended up price matching KMart, but they took off $20 instead of giving me a $20 gift card. After hearing how bad the CE is, I'm happy.

I live in Idaho and my friends live in washington. Every Gamestop in the area had their games poorly packaged so the corners to the LE were all bent, broken or some of the cases(metal tin) were damaged. I don't know if anyone else has experienced this or not.

[quote name='Ski Hawk']I preordered at Best Buy, but they didn't get any Collector's Edition. I asked about the $20 gift card memo, but they didn't get it. I asked a manager to double check, and they ended up price matching KMart, but they took off $20 instead of giving me a $20 gift card. After hearing how bad the CE is, I'm happy.[/QUOTE]

They said I couldn't use my $20 gift card for my purchase of the game event though they told me last night I could. So I had them cancel the order because I can get it elsewhere.

[quote name='Bertuzzi']Mine is missing in Indiana like some previous posters.

Scheduled Delivery:
Last Location:

United States 10/03/2011 6:54 P.M. Order Processed: Ready for UPS[/QUOTE]

Same here. 9:08 pm here and mine never showed up.

edit: amazon cs gave me $5 credit. ill take it

I ordered the PS3 CE from amazon with rdd, but haven't gotten my order yet. When I spoke to their CS earlier today, they wouldn't tell me what the problem was, just that I would get an email later today explaining what happened. I didn't get that email either. I order from amazon a lot, and it seems like every other thing I order has a problem the past few months, after years and years with almost no problems whatsoever. I should have ordered from somewhere else.

sooooo..i got my ce from amazon today. just opened the artbook, started turning pages and...the first 14 physical pages (28 pages of art) came completely out of the book. like i could hold them in my hand like postcards. i dunno why but im not as mad as i should be. in chat with amazon cs right now. also, gonna stop by namco hq in the morning -its in san jose- and show them 1st hand what they gave me lol. i have a friend whos an art director there so im sure he'll be thrilled to hear me causing a ruckus. wish me luck!

bread's done
Back