Dark Souls pre-orders- free upgrade to collector's edition

hlaalumaster9

CAGiversary!
Currently in stock at Gamestop.com. Online only.

PS3

Xbox 360

Collectors Editions are presently in shortage at both online and b&m stores. Your best options for grabbing a CE:

You can try calling Gamestop, Walmart, or BestBuy and see if they have any extras beyond the pre-order batch. Make sure to see if they are doing a midnight launch. If not, go first thing in the morning

Stores that will NOT have CEs at all:

Target - $10 gift card with purchase
K-Mart/Sears - $20 gamer coupon with purchase
Newegg - Confirmed to be shipping out regular editions but is giving a $20 coupon in compensation

ATTN AMAZON BUYERS:
If you had preordered with release day shipping but the expected delivery date is anything later than 10/4/11, it would be in your best interest to contact Amazon CS and complain :p

While supplies last
- receive a FREE upgrade to the Collector's Edition of Dark Souls when you pre-order the Standard Edition at no extra cost.

Immerse yourself in the Dark Souls experience with the Collector's Edition, which comes wrapped inside a collectible custom designed metal case with protective sleeve, the highly anticipated Dark Souls game, a mini-strategy guide, unique art book packed with exclusive, high-quality imagery, the original soundtrack & behind-the-scenes videos taken with Dark Souls game development studio FromSoftware.

Dark Souls Collector's Edition Includes:
  • Special Designed Metal Tin Case & Protective Sleeve
  • Dark Souls Game
  • Mini-Strategy Guide*
  • Custom Art Book
  • Original Game Soundtrack*
  • Behind-The-Scenes Videos*
In stores October 4, 2011

*The Mini-Strategy Guide, Original Game Soundtrack & Behind-The-Scenes Videos are provided for digital download via a uniquely redeemable online code printed on a specially marked card inside each Collector Edition box.
SOURCE:

http://preparetodie.com/en/preorder/

DarkSouls_LimitedEdition_PS3.jpg

Amazon Bonus Offer:

Pre-order Dark Souls and trade-in any video game between September 22nd and October 3rd, and get a $5.00 gift card.

NOTE: Both PS3 CE and 360 CE lately show as out of stock

NOTE2: The product info for both CE and regular pages almost look the same

PS3 Collector's Edition $59.99 ASIN: B00542ZQJO

PS3 Regular $59.99 ASIN: B004NRN5EO

Xbox360 Collector's Edition $59.99 ASIN: B00542ZR4I

Xbox360 Regular $59.99 ASIN: B004NRN5DU

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='morrodox']No, take the $30 and send one of them back.[/QUOTE]

I was going to open one and keep one sealed but sending one back isn't a bad idea at all. One of them is more screwed up so I think I might end up doing that.

If anyone is still looking for a CE, you might wanna try at gamestop today. I just got back and the guy sold me a CE because he said they were only going to hold them for 48 hours.

I got my PS3 CE copy yesterday. The collectors content is pretty lame IMHO. It's fine and all that I got it for "free", but I would have been happy with just the game and looking on the net for help, which is essentially what you have to do now anyway with the downloadable code retardation, lol. I should have waited until it dropped in price a bit instead of preordering, oh well, live and learn I guess.. The artbook is small and really doesn't do anything for me, and a metal case.. wow, big deal. Now, if the guide would have been a physical guide that would have likely changed my opinion.

Although, i'm not really one to get excited about game extras in general and have never ordered a collectors edition before. So I guess take what i'm saying there with a grain of salt. But in all honesty I wouldn't get too upset if you didn't get a CE version, it's really not all that great.

/rant
smile.png

you know what I hate, seeing on the gamestop website that all these stores have the CE in stock yet all of them claim they don't have any.

Still stuck in "shipping soon" (super saver), 10/12-17 delivery date. Any other item I wouldn't worry about. Given some of the gaffes noted here, I hope it (PS3 CE) shows up from Amazon.

To the guy earlier in the thread about 2 pages back re: guide, you didn't happen to get hosed at the Westgate location? I had the Rivermark store reserve one for me in the morning and I dropped by after work (~530pm) to pick it up. I wonder if they hosed it up and only had one copy in the store yesterday. They said they had a few copies there when I asked them to put a hold on it. As of yesterday, only the Cherry Orchard had any but I wasn't going to go there as it's out of the way. You might want to check there.

i got two worlds ii on monday from the gamefly sale and dark souls on tues....and tbh ive spent all my time playing two worlds ii. sounds almost blasphemous but two worlds ii is almost stress free compared to dark souls and i dont need stress is my life right now lol

[quote name='hecaitomix']for getting it a day late. i got 12$ back from amazon.[/QUOTE]
[quote name='FlyingMonkey9']Yea I asked over chat and got 10- I'm happy[/QUOTE]
Man, how come I only got $5? Oh and I got my shipping refunded... all 99 cents of it.

Laaaaame. I ordered Dark Souls CE from Best Buy for in-store pickup but when I got there they handed me a regular copy. I said no thanks. Still got ICO Collection though.

[quote name='LD_Helix']This thread is getting pretty big for just one deal![/QUOTE]

One deal with a dozen different fuckups from various retailers, and Namco.

[quote name='themidnighter23']you know what I hate, seeing on the gamestop website that all these stores have the CE in stock yet all of them claim they don't have any.[/QUOTE]

I've been hunting around too. The thing is, one of the GameStops tells me there is a 48 hour hold on reserves and that I would be able to pick it up if the copies were not bought by the end of Wednesday. I called today (Thursday) and the same GameStop tells me they were all sold out on midnight launch day. That's complete BS.

Another GameStop tells me they hold onto limited edition reserves for a bit longer and tells me to call back on Monday.

I decided to sell my CE for enough profit to cover the cost of the strategy guide, so I am basically getting the real guide for free, which makes for a better bonus than the PC downloads and metal case.

[quote name='morrodox']One deal with a dozen different fuckups from various retailers, and Namco.[/QUOTE]
Yeah whats up with that? too much demand over supply? if its just amazon or best buy having issues i can understand that, but it seems like every retailer is having problems.

[quote name='Evilv6']If anyone is still looking for a CE, you might wanna try at gamestop today. I just got back and the guy sold me a CE because he said they were only going to hold them for 48 hours.[/QUOTE]

That is supposed to be GS's policy, but not all GS are equal unfortunately. Some of my locals have said 3 days after release and one said 30 days.

[quote name='LD_Helix']Yeah whats up with that? too much demand over supply? if its just amazon or best buy having issues i can understand that, but it seems like every retailer is having problems.[/QUOTE]

As I'm following it, Namco woefully underestimated demand and didn't produce enough CEs. Best Buy took pre-orders for it but only got the regular edition. Same with NewEgg, I think. GameStop only got in enough CEs to cover pre-orders.

Amazon... hooboy. Supposedly if you pre-ordered by a certain date (I think 9/23 or 9/24 was the cutoff point) you get a CE upgrade, but all their item pages were screwed up, mentioning the SE on the CE pages, order pages linking to the SE when you got the CE upgrade, the wrong pictures, everything you can think of. Aaaand on top of it they seem to be shipping out the CEs in bubble mailers (seriously, the person who invented those needs to be executed, alongside whoever at Amazon is in charge of packaging materials used in shipping) so they're arriving all dented up.

[quote name='alexxb']That is supposed to be GS's policy, but not all GS are equal unfortunately. Some of my locals have said 3 days after release and one said 30 days.[/QUOTE]

I have 3 stores less than 4 miles away and all 3 said check back on sat. They said they hold CEs longer than the 48 hour rule. I left my name and number at 2 stores that had more than 5 copies each just in case sum1 cancels. :beer:

[quote name='morrodox']As I'm following it, Namco woefully underestimated demand and didn't produce enough CEs. Best Buy took pre-orders for it but only got the regular edition. Same with NewEgg, I think. GameStop only got in enough CEs to cover pre-orders.

Amazon... hooboy. Supposedly if you pre-ordered by a certain date (I think 9/23 or 9/24 was the cutoff point) you get a CE upgrade, but all their item pages were screwed up, mentioning the SE on the CE pages, order pages linking to the SE when you got the CE upgrade, the wrong pictures, everything you can think of. Aaaand on top of it they seem to be shipping out the CEs in bubble mailers (seriously, the person who invented those needs to be executed, alongside whoever at Amazon is in charge of packaging materials used in shipping) so they're arriving all dented up.[/QUOTE]

I ordered on 9/26 and got the CE packaged in a box. It had a dent though :(

[quote name='IzzyF3']I've been hunting around too. The thing is, one of the GameStops tells me there is a 48 hour hold on reserves and that I would be able to pick it up if the copies were not bought by the end of Wednesday. I called today (Thursday) and the same GameStop tells me they were all sold out on midnight launch day. That's complete BS.

Another GameStop tells me they hold onto limited edition reserves for a bit longer and tells me to call back on Monday.[/QUOTE]

I'm just gonna keep calling and visiting GS until they relent or throw me out

[quote name='morrodox']As I'm following it, Namco woefully underestimated demand and didn't produce enough CEs. Best Buy took pre-orders for it but only got the regular edition. Same with NewEgg, I think. GameStop only got in enough CEs to cover pre-orders.

Amazon... hooboy. Supposedly if you pre-ordered by a certain date (I think 9/23 or 9/24 was the cutoff point) you get a CE upgrade, but all their item pages were screwed up, mentioning the SE on the CE pages, order pages linking to the SE when you got the CE upgrade, the wrong pictures, everything you can think of. Aaaand on top of it they seem to be shipping out the CEs in bubble mailers (seriously, the person who invented those needs to be executed, alongside whoever at Amazon is in charge of packaging materials used in shipping) so they're arriving all dented up.[/QUOTE]
Damn that sucks big time for people who order it online especially from amazon, feeling kinda guilty right now that I got mine in good condition from gamestop....

The GameStop here is holding them for a week due to how rare this is, with the problems at Best Buy and for the people who actually pre-ordered so they're taken care of. I reserved two myself.

Mine was shipped from amazon in a nice box in perfect condition...

Considering I pre-ordered my "free upgrade to CE" copy from Amazon.com in May and it still hasn't shipped, I'm getting a bit concerned. :(

[quote name='mr_bungle']Mine was shipped from amazon in a nice box in perfect condition...[/QUOTE]

Ah, so there is hope, then. Out of curiosity, which facility did yours ship from? They should have given you a tracking page which will show it.

[quote name='Gameboy415']Considering I pre-ordered my "free upgrade to CE" copy from Amazon.com in May and it still hasn't shipped, I'm getting a bit concerned. :( [/QUOTE]

What shipping did you choose? If it was the free Super Saver, yours will ship late, but you should still get the CE because they reserved those for people based on order date, not ship date. At least that's what they told me.

Best Buy screwed me with my collector's edition pre-order too. The manager at the Torrance, CA store was an ass and refused to give me a $20 gift card. He said that legally they were only obligated to accept a return and that I could either take it or leave it.

Is there an official policy I can reference somewhere for getting the $20 gift card?

mine shipped from delaware in a box. the ce was shrinkwrapped to cardboard backing to keep it from moving around. too bad the artbook inside turned into a post card set because 1/2 the pages fell out.

[quote name='morrodox']Ah, so there is hope, then. Out of curiosity, which facility did yours ship from? They should have given you a tracking page which will show it.

What shipping did you choose? If it was the free Super Saver, yours will ship late, but you should still get the CE because they reserved those for people based on order date, not ship date. At least that's what they told me.[/QUOTE]

Honestly if this has not been called I will call it...

what if a certain supply was promised and held back to create more demand? Then the remaining CE's were printed or released to match the new demand?

I can see where someone like me would be pissed as I am about to settle with the regular version, and open it... if I find out that they release more CE's to preorders later that will be a little painful...

However I can see this happening to ensure a large sell through.

[quote name='bskeillor']Imagine that. A CE that you won't actually find on a clearance shelf for half price months down the road.[/QUOTE]
This is really the opposite extreme however. It's something people anticipated getting, only for many of those who didn't pre-order immediately (and even then!) to miss out on, especially if they choose the wrong retailers. There's actually bothering to make an CE hard to get, it's another to fuck over most of the people you were trying to sell to.

[quote name='bob330i']Still stuck in "shipping soon" (super saver), 10/12-17 delivery date. Any other item I wouldn't worry about. Given some of the gaffes noted here, I hope it (PS3 CE) shows up from Amazon.

To the guy earlier in the thread about 2 pages back re: guide, you didn't happen to get hosed at the Westgate location? I had the Rivermark store reserve one for me in the morning and I dropped by after work (~530pm) to pick it up. I wonder if they hosed it up and only had one copy in the store yesterday. They said they had a few copies there when I asked them to put a hold on it. As of yesterday, only the Cherry Orchard had any but I wasn't going to go there as it's out of the way. You might want to check there.[/QUOTE]

Why yes, it was the Westgate location!

And to from me (until next week at least), I just got back from the big "Power to the Gamers" store on Steven's Creek near San Tomas with a copy of BOTH the CE game and guide!

They're the only store out of the 23 I called who were willing to sell the CE after exactly 48 hrs, so I called them first-thing in the morning at which time they happily reserved me a copy. When I arrived, the other employee pulled out 2 copies of the Dark Souls Strategy Guide from a box and put them on the counter. I'm like "Holy crap, is this for sale too?" "Yep, they're our last 2 copies".

They have several more copies of the CE, and both employees are ralaxed about the preorder hold, so give them a try right now.

End result:
Scored guide and CE from Gamestop after 2 days of chaos.
Amazon CE still "Shipping Soon" (Oct 12-17) -- yeah right.
Zavvi LE "shipped" from UK 2 days ago.
DeepDiscount CE "CHARGED".
Best Buy pickup -- cancelled due to being standard edition.

[quote name='Gamelore']
End result:
Scored guide and CE from Gamestop after 2 days of chaos.[/QUOTE]

Ok, now I don't feel as bad. Glad you got the guide and the CE in the end. I might drop by there after work to see what's left. I may try to pick up the CE if they have one left.

[quote name='technicalstylez']mine shipped from delaware in a box. the ce was shrinkwrapped to cardboard backing to keep it from moving around. too bad the artbook inside turned into a post card set because 1/2 the pages fell out.[/QUOTE]

Mine shipped from Indianapolis. I'll post my results once it gets here. Anybody else?

Sorry about your artbook. Wonder if Namco would replace it? Demon's Souls had a problem with the ink on the mini guide losing color, and Atlus printed replacements for everyone affected. (Seriously, bring back Atlus for Dark Souls 2.)

My May 11th preorder CE arrived from Arizona in an bubble envelope.
Plastic cover is scuffed up from sliding around and the tin has a few dents on the hard edge's, other than that everything is good.
:bouncy:

UPS guy mentioned he just came from the Post Office and dropped off something for a person with the same name as me.

RAGE?!?

My PS3 CE from Amazon was just delivered. It's shipped in a cardboard wrapper type package. Tracking says it's from Philly and weighed 1.3 lb.

I pre-ordered mine when the free CE upgrade was first announced, with FSSS. It shipped on Monday with UPS 3-Day shipping.

Haven't had time to open it up during lunch break. Just hope everything inside is okay.

[quote name='KrizB']My May 11th preorder CE arrived from Arizona in an bubble envelope.
Plastic cover is scuffed up from sliding around and the tin has a few dents on the hard edge's, other than that everything is good.
:bouncy:

UPS guy mentioned he just came from the Post Office and dropped off something for a person with the same name as me.

RAGE?!?[/QUOTE]

How do some of you actually have a conversation with the UPS guys? Sometimes the ones that drop off stuff at my house literally run to my door, leave it at the door and knock or ring the doorbell and run back into their truck. It's funny because sometimes I'll be near a window by the door and I just see legs running by.

so i called my gamestop to see if they have an extra copy that no one picked up and they did. i drove there and picked it up. i was hoping it would be in better condition than mine but it isnt

i can tell the circle stickers on tin case and sleeve were removed and put back on. the cover sleeve has a small tear at the top and the box has a small dent on it. the game itself is still sealed though. im not sure if the code has been used.

anyways, does anyone want it? i'm not really looking to make a profit off of it. i figure some cags would want the ce edition, but had some bad luck. its the ps3 version btw.

pm if interested. and to the mods, this probably should be on the trading forum but i figure more people who actually want the game would see it here

[quote name='barrit']How do some of you actually have a conversation with the UPS guys? Sometimes the ones that drop off stuff at my house literally run to my door, leave it at the door and knock or ring the doorbell and run back into their truck. It's funny because sometimes I'll be near a window by the door and I just see legs running by.[/QUOTE]

upsninja.jpeg

Just wondering if anyone received or picked up a Dark Souls CE that was completely 100% mint, with no scuffing/scratches on the outer plastic box? Not sure if my GS played football with my copy...

bread's done
Back