Dark Souls pre-orders- free upgrade to collector's edition

hlaalumaster9

CAGiversary!
Currently in stock at Gamestop.com. Online only.

PS3

Xbox 360

Collectors Editions are presently in shortage at both online and b&m stores. Your best options for grabbing a CE:

You can try calling Gamestop, Walmart, or BestBuy and see if they have any extras beyond the pre-order batch. Make sure to see if they are doing a midnight launch. If not, go first thing in the morning

Stores that will NOT have CEs at all:

Target - $10 gift card with purchase
K-Mart/Sears - $20 gamer coupon with purchase
Newegg - Confirmed to be shipping out regular editions but is giving a $20 coupon in compensation

ATTN AMAZON BUYERS:
If you had preordered with release day shipping but the expected delivery date is anything later than 10/4/11, it would be in your best interest to contact Amazon CS and complain :p

While supplies last
- receive a FREE upgrade to the Collector's Edition of Dark Souls when you pre-order the Standard Edition at no extra cost.

Immerse yourself in the Dark Souls experience with the Collector's Edition, which comes wrapped inside a collectible custom designed metal case with protective sleeve, the highly anticipated Dark Souls game, a mini-strategy guide, unique art book packed with exclusive, high-quality imagery, the original soundtrack & behind-the-scenes videos taken with Dark Souls game development studio FromSoftware.

Dark Souls Collector's Edition Includes:
  • Special Designed Metal Tin Case & Protective Sleeve
  • Dark Souls Game
  • Mini-Strategy Guide*
  • Custom Art Book
  • Original Game Soundtrack*
  • Behind-The-Scenes Videos*
In stores October 4, 2011

*The Mini-Strategy Guide, Original Game Soundtrack & Behind-The-Scenes Videos are provided for digital download via a uniquely redeemable online code printed on a specially marked card inside each Collector Edition box.
SOURCE:

http://preparetodie.com/en/preorder/

DarkSouls_LimitedEdition_PS3.jpg

Amazon Bonus Offer:

Pre-order Dark Souls and trade-in any video game between September 22nd and October 3rd, and get a $5.00 gift card.

NOTE: Both PS3 CE and 360 CE lately show as out of stock

NOTE2: The product info for both CE and regular pages almost look the same

PS3 Collector's Edition $59.99 ASIN: B00542ZQJO

PS3 Regular $59.99 ASIN: B004NRN5EO

Xbox360 Collector's Edition $59.99 ASIN: B00542ZR4I

Xbox360 Regular $59.99 ASIN: B004NRN5DU

Last edited by a moderator:
Checked out a local Gamestop that said it had available stock of the CE according to the website. Girl told me all the copies they had were only for the people that preordered, and didn't pick theirs up yet. Managed to have her sell me a copy.

For those that have Gamestops near them, it's worth a try to get one.

[quote name='pizzaflavoredpudding']Checked out a local Gamestop that said it had available stock of the CE according to the website. Girl told me all the copies they had were only for the people that preordered, and didn't pick theirs up yet. Managed to have her sell me a copy.

For those that have Gamestops near them, it's worth a try to get one.[/QUOTE]

what did you say to get her to sell to you? showed some leg?

[quote name='Gamelore']Anyone else just get this email from Atlus?

"Demon's Souls Celebrates Its Second Anniversary!"

"Two years later: Remembering the launch! (note these offers are no longer available)

Deluxe Edition: Lovingly crafted, it was the only way to get the 160-pg official strategy guide, sold out within a month of launch!

Pre-order bonus: 36 pages of art, 71 min of music, collectable and in-your-handable!"

Seriously, who sends emails like that other than to clearly make fun of their competitor's launch debacle :)

Thanks for the laugh, Atlus.[/QUOTE]

Haha... they're definitely not letting DS be forgotten. It's no secret that Atlus wished they could have kept FROM on board for the sequel but they just can't compete with Namco. Too bad though, because this debacle is tarnishing FROM even though it's not their fault.

there is this super cute girl at my gamestop she is always uber friendly and i always try to time it so i get in line to talk to her, today i was late by like 1 sec and got checked out (no not that checked out) by the guy instead, oh well : P

And oh yeah dark souls, well i will try again next week to see if someone didnt pick up their preorder...

I picked up the guide for Dark Souls and I have to say, the Demons Souls guide was way better IMHO. It detailed perfect runs and provided a lot more hints as to how to progress the game and it's secrets in a better fashion. Just saying....

Got a PS3 CE that was canceled. Tin was a little dinged so I won't bother trying to trade it for a 360 which is what I intended. Not a terrible CE but pretty poor considering the insanity getting one.

Can't recommend the CE guide enough though, it's fantastic.

Now the question is... Will the price drop faster than usual because of people refusing to pay the same price for the regular edition?

I for one decided I will not buy this until a price drop. Well, that and because this is the season of games. Got to save up for other big hitters. I can see prices down to $40 or lower by Black Friday.

Wow!!! And I just got 10 credit for it coming late!

Hello,

We're contact you about order #xxxfor "Dark Souls." We recently learned that we’re unable to upgrade your order to the Collector’s Edition. We're very sorry about this.

We’d like to offer you an Amazon.com promotional credit as an apology for what happened. Here are the details:

Promotional Certificate Amount: $20.00

I bought a CE for a friend since he doesn't have a prime account. But they sent him the standard edition instead. The order wasn't late I just had to brag a little with e-mails to Amazon! I got this in the e-mail going to pre-order MW 3 now :)

We're contacting you about order for "Dark Souls." We recently learned that we’re unable to upgrade your order to the Collector’s Edition. We're very sorry about this.

We’d like to offer you an Amazon.com promotional credit as an apology for what happened. Here are the details:

Promotional Certificate Amount: $20.00
Promotional Code: XXXX
Expires: October 31th, 2012

This promotional code may be redeemed toward the purchase of most items shipped and sold by Amazon.com. Just apply your code during checkout. For more details about how to use your promotional certificate, please visit this link:

I preordered the standard edition (since the CE wasn't selectable) on Oct 2nd. I wasn't planning on actually getting the CE. None the less I just receieved $20 credit from Amazon. I'll take that over a bunch of digital downloads that I can find online :whistle2:D

[quote name='Fatbot3']Got a PS3 CE that was canceled. Tin was a little dinged so I won't bother trying to trade it for a 360 which is what I intended. Not a terrible CE but pretty poor considering the insanity getting one.

Can't recommend the CE guide enough though, it's fantastic.[/QUOTE]

I didn't have a problem getting one because I ordered early from Amazon, and I know it was "free", but I'm still a bit disappointed by what I got. I really didn't follow the changes to the CE but I did read that it was "downgraded" from the original advertisement.

Basically all it came with is a tin box, which houses a standard game case and the really cheap little artbook (albeit at least the artbook has a hardcover, but it's really tiny and really not that interesting). The tin box is really disappointing to me, it basically feels like a tin you'd get candies in or something, and then inside it's just the regular Dark Souls game case with standard UPC, the art book, and then a little card with the download codes (for stuff that originally was supposed to be physical CD and physical strategy guide).

I wish it had a more integrated case like the Castelvania lords of shadow collectors edition (in that one the case itself was basically like a hardcover art-book, with really fantastic artwork). But of course I did pay extra for that one, but still I wanted more out of this CE. :(

whoa are people randomly getting $20 promo from Amazon even if they didn't contact them?

hope I get that and a CE that they said they'd find for me

[quote name='Ship']I preordered the standard edition (since the CE wasn't selectable) on Oct 2nd. I wasn't planning on actually getting the CE. None the less I just receieved $20 credit from Amazon. I'll take that over a bunch of digital downloads that I can find online :whistle2:D[/QUOTE]

whoa are people randomly getting $20 promo from Amazon even if they didn't contact them?

hope I get that and a CE that they said they'd find for me.

edit: okay now got another email (different csr) saying they're refunding my order and to return the game? wtf is this. only amusing bit is I paid in full with GC balance (not promo credit) and the refund will be to my cc

I just called a local gamestop to see if they had any CE's they could sell. Guy said he did and put one aside for me to pick up tomorrow. Let's hope it's there. This was a PS3 version by the way.

Called the nearest game stop since the online availability showed there were available. Was told it was on hold for those who pre-ordered. The game stop 6 miles away from had 2 copies of each platform available. Purchased one after checking which one was in better condition. Slip cover a little dinged on the edges, meh can't really complain since it was such a task trying to find which store would sell them.

Last post from me. I got mine yesterday. Collector's Edition, for the correct platform, artbook is holding together. Mailed in one of Amazon's cardboard wraparound packages. Was afraid it might be crushed or dented, but there are only a few very minor dings on it. The tin and slipcover definitely feel flimsy overall, though. I was afraid of crushing it just trying to open it. The game inside has the same case and manual from the standard release, only difference is the bonus items and outer packaging.

Loving the game so far... although I'm actually having an easier time getting started than I did with Demon's Souls. Thinking about faking sick so I can leave work early today.

Sweet, ordered the regular edition, perfectly happy with the regular edition, still got the $20 for the lack of an upgrade. Nice.

[quote name='morrodox']Last post from me. I got mine yesterday. Collector's Edition, for the correct platform, artbook is holding together. Mailed in one of Amazon's cardboard wraparound packages. Was afraid it might be crushed or dented, but there are only a few very minor dings on it. The tin and slipcover definitely feel flimsy overall, though. I was afraid of crushing it just trying to open it. The game inside has the same case and manual from the standard release, only difference is the bonus items and outer packaging.

Loving the game so far... although I'm actually having an easier time getting started than I did with Demon's Souls. Thinking about faking sick so I can leave work early today.[/QUOTE]

Going home early on friday to rock some dark souls? You are a true gamer my friend!

[quote name='morrodox']Last post from me. I got mine yesterday. Collector's Edition, for the correct platform, artbook is holding together. Mailed in one of Amazon's cardboard wraparound packages. Was afraid it might be crushed or dented, but there are only a few very minor dings on it. The tin and slipcover definitely feel flimsy overall, though. I was afraid of crushing it just trying to open it. The game inside has the same case and manual from the standard release, only difference is the bonus items and outer packaging.

Loving the game so far... although I'm actually having an easier time getting started than I did with Demon's Souls. Thinking about faking sick so I can leave work early today.[/QUOTE]

Do it man! I did it yesterday. :bouncy:

[quote name='IRHari']So...finally picked up CE from Gamestop.

I literally called like 6-7 Gamestops, they were saying 'yeah our policy is 24-48 hours to hold a pre-order but...this is different because it's limited so we'll ignore the policy'

One employee actually stuck to the policy, and said okay, he didn't pick it up within 48 hours, so here ya go, take the CE.

Hell yes.[/QUOTE]
I was literally about to send you a PM after reading the forums to see if you had found one yet, otherwise I'd have sold you my extra at cost.

FYI, summoning each other like we did last game is a BITCH. My brother and I couldn't summon each other no matter what we did. First he was like, oh we can't be on the friends list. Then we were like, can't summon in an area where the boss is dead. Finally, when we exhausted every excuse even getting ourselves in the same covenant and exact same SL, we still couldn't see each others summon sign. We could each see other summon signs, but never our own. My only guess is they have separate servers handling P2P connections and we just have to get lucky each time we connect to get on the same one. Seriously fucked off. :\

[quote name='Jodou']FYI, summoning each other like we did last game is a BITCH. My brother and I couldn't summon each other no matter what we did. First he was like, oh we can't be on the friends list. Then we were like, can't summon in an area where the boss is dead. Finally, when we exhausted every excuse even getting ourselves in the same covenant and exact same SL, we still couldn't see each others summon sign. We could each see other summon signs, but never our own. My only guess is they have separate servers handling P2P connections and we just have to get lucky each time we connect to get on the same one. Seriously fucked off. :\[/QUOTE]

Co-Optimus did a really good write-up about those exact issues you're having.

http://www.co-optimus.com/article/6965/co-op-rant-dark-souls-server-co-op-debacle.html

I finally opened the PS3 CE I found at a GS yesterday and started playing last night. I'm also having an easier time getting started as compared with DS. The CE is very "meh." I'm still glad that I got it because it cost the same as the standard version. After being bamboozled by Worst Buy, it became personal that I find a copy no matter what. I just got lucky finding an extra copy from my local GS. The tin case is flimsy. The art book is cheaply made. Even the front and back covers of the art book have scratches on them. If this CE cost more, it wouldn't have been worth it. What happened to the good ol' days of Working Designs?

[quote name='MidnightMarauder74']I finally opened the PS3 CE I found at a GS yesterday and started playing last night. I'm also having an easier time getting started as compared with DS. The CE is very "meh." I'm still glad that I got it because it cost the same as the standard version. After being bamboozled by Worst Buy, it became personal that I find a copy no matter what. I just got lucky finding an extra copy from my local GS. The tin case is flimsy. The art book is cheaply made. Even the front and back covers of the art book have scratches on them. If this CE cost more, it wouldn't have been worth it. What happened to the good ol' days of Working Designs?[/QUOTE]

Thanks for sharing your thoughts about the CE. I will not pursue it any longer. I'll just wait for a price drop and pick it up then

[quote name='MidnightMarauder74']I finally opened the PS3 CE I found at a GS yesterday and started playing last night. I'm also having an easier time getting started as compared with DS. The CE is very "meh." I'm still glad that I got it because it cost the same as the standard version. After being bamboozled by Worst Buy, it became personal that I find a copy no matter what. I just got lucky finding an extra copy from my local GS. The tin case is flimsy. The art book is cheaply made. Even the front and back covers of the art book have scratches on them. If this CE cost more, it wouldn't have been worth it. What happened to the good ol' days of Working Designs?[/QUOTE]

Just wanted to thumbs up the nod to Working Designs. Although to be fair, Atlus has been doing a geat job at filling those shoes. They know it too, given the smug Demon's Souls CE email they sent out this morning :p I bet From will now have second thoughts about going with a larger publisher.

[quote name='Crazyhowie']Co-Optimus did a really good write-up about those exact issues you're having.

http://www.co-optimus.com/article/6965/co-op-rant-dark-souls-server-co-op-debacle.html[/QUOTE]

Ya online is really fucked up at times. At one point I'd get summoned within 2 minutes (which is good for this game...ugh), another time I could go 5+ minutes with no summons.

I really wish they could add servers, or at least make the lobbies bigger. I still love this game, I'm just pissed they chose Namco over Atlus for publishing. Atlus would have done things right.

[quote name='HaLLuZiNaTiOnZ']Ya online is really fucked up at times. At one point I'd get summoned within 2 minutes (which is good for this game...ugh), another time I could go 5+ minutes with no summons.

I really wish they could add servers, or at least make the lobbies bigger. I still love this game, I'm just pissed they chose Namco over Atlus for publishing. Atlus would have done things right.[/QUOTE]
I wish Atlus published it too. They probably choose Namco because Namco would have more pushing power for the game than Atlus ever could.

Got my game today. I have a copy of the guide but a friend is looking for a copy of the guide so I might sell him mine and look for another copy or just order it off gamestop.com

yah, got my shipping notice from Amazon this morning. Super saver shipping, CE noted in the description of my notice. Shipping out from AZ yesterday, out for delivery today. Original delivery dates were 10/12-17 so it's early.

Now to keep my fingers crossed it's not dented.

All my local GSs are refusing to sell the CE except to pre-orders. It's getting annoying, they keep telling me "call back tomorrow, we should be selling them" and then when I call it's the same old line. I need to go into one today to grab a copy of the FP guide so I'm going to try and see if being there in person, cash in hand, will allow me to procure a copy of the CE.

Agreed. IMO, if you don't already have a pre-order coming to you it's totally not worth the hassle to get a CE version for the exact reasons stated above.

out of business with that strategy is what happens :cry:

[quote name='twiceborn']Heads up, the CE is available for both the PS3 and Xbox 360 at Gamestop, online only, though.[/QUOTE]

Holy shit dood, thanks. Just got an order in. Guess they either got a new shipment or released some pre-orders or something. I'll probably still try and snag one in-store and cancel this one but it's nice to have a backup.

[quote name='SneakyPenguin']Holy shit dood, thanks. Just got an order in. Guess they either got a new shipment or released some pre-orders or something. I'll probably still try and snag one in-store and cancel this one but it's nice to have a backup.[/QUOTE]
I'm sure they're releasing their reserve for any replacement requests, lost shipments, etc.

[quote name='Relysis']Just wanted to thumbs up the nod to Working Designs. Although to be fair, Atlus has been doing a geat job at filling those shoes. They know it too, given the smug Demon's Souls CE email they sent out this morning :p I bet From will now have second thoughts about going with a larger publisher.[/QUOTE]

I agree that Atlus has been doing an admirable job filling WD's shoes. I still have near-mint copies of Lunar:SSS and Lunar:EB for PS1. The labor of love that WD put into localizing and packaging these games have set the bar high. I just miss those days.

I also got that email from Atlus. Way to go Atlus! Way to stick it to Namco! :applause:

Nice. My FSSS Amazon shipment went out last night with overnight delivery, at 1.0 lbs. I didn't get the "No upgrade" notice!

And now I just made an order from GS too so I have a few copies to compare amongst, and pass the leftovers on to coworkers or something. Feels appropriate after all the headache of tracking a single copy down.

And ironically, after all that, I'm not playing Dark Souls now anyway. I already missed the launch boat, so I'm not in a rush to play it.

With Atlus turning on White/Black World Tendency, I've decided to return to Demon's Souls, explore the new areas and work on the 4 tendencies I passed up last year, lol

My May pre-order from Amazon just arrived, in a box, no bubble envelope like some of you. Haven't opened it yet but it seems that everything is in perfect shape.

And I got the CE, no normal version.

Edit: Nevermind, it was a bit dented in two corners, no biggie but still sort of :/

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Gamelore']Nice. My FSSS Amazon shipment went out last night with overnight delivery, at 1.0 lbs. I didn't get the "No upgrade" notice!

And now I just made an order from GS too so I have a few copies to compare amongst, and pass the leftovers on to coworkers or something. Feels appropriate after all the headache of tracking a single copy down.

And ironically, after all that, I'm not playing Dark Souls now anyway. I already missed the launch boat, so I'm not in a rush to play it.

With Atlus turning on White/Black World Tendency, I've decided to return to Demon's Souls, explore the new areas and work on the 4 tendencies I passed up last year, lol[/QUOTE]

i just started demons souls. I don't quite understand tendency yet. If i wanted to purposely be Black, but Atlus has it White, am i screwed?

bread's done
Back