Data Execution Prevention crashes

Capn Stabby

CAGiversary!
Feedback
56 (100%)
After I installed the Zune software (awful), I noticed that I was having a lot of trouble with Windows Media Player. Everytime I tried to open a file, it the Data Execution Prevention window would pop up and crash windows. My computer is still running, it's just that explorer reboots (the task bar and desktop icons disappear, then everything is reloaded.)

I've uninstalled and reinstalled everything, to no avail.

any ideas?

[quote name='invinceable104']After I installed the Zune software (awful), I noticed that I was having a lot of trouble with Windows Media Player. Everytime I tried to open a file, it the Data Execution Prevention window would pop up and crash windows. My computer is still running, it's just that explorer reboots (the task bar and desktop icons disappear, then everything is reloaded.)

I've uninstalled and reinstalled everything, to no avail.

any ideas?[/QUOTE]

well you think that's bad? Any type of video I play now has either the contrast jacked up or color distortion everywhere as if the video itself is set to 256 color mode :(

Thank you ZUNE for fucking up my system...all this just to get the 360 and xp to see each other, and after that it still didn't work :(

[quote name='seen']did you try doing a system restore? you can google how to.... if you don't know already.[/QUOTE]

the OP might be able to get away with it, but my system, I didn't realize my codec's were corrupt until I started watching videos... bah.

[quote name='invinceable104']Hmm, shoot, I can't believe I haven't tried system restore yet.
Good call, seen. I'll try that in a second.

Did you ever fix it, ITDEFX?[/QUOTE]

I installed Zune back in September when I first got my 360. Since then I have installed patches, programs and such and such that if I do system restore, I think I will mess up even more. Heck I can't even watch dvd's anymore because the colors are messed up. I didn't realize how bad it was until I started watching Transformers on my computer :(

Actually I just got one as well and when I am viewing folders that sample thumbnails of videos that exact thing happens. When I changed all the folders to not remember individual settings and do not cache thumbnails it kinda fixed it.

I think it is a video codec problem.

I did eventually restore it and it is fine. This all happened yesterday by the way. I had been downloading and installing a ton of software geared towards reencoding video files for the zune and on that note I guess there are no reliable freeware that do it well and consistently. Dang it!

Hey guys, I fixed it. It was indeed a video codec problem.
I originally had CCCP installed so I uninstalled that and installed the K-lite codec package.

IT works for me, without a system restore. I did a few other thigns too, but this seems like the most logical fix.

ITDEFX:
I would just try uninstalling Windows Media Player (or rolling it back), uninstalling any third party codecs, and updating WMP again. Then download & install K-lite.
I'm sure it's still fixable - nothing a good reinstall won't fix.

bread's done
Back