DC Universe Online

Vulcan2422

CAGiversary!
Feedback
19 (95%)
I was wondering if anybody else is playing the beta? If so, Add me as a friend. I love this game and this might just be the next game I buy honestly.

I'm on the PVE world and my name there is Vulcan7905

There's more than one PVE world by the way.

World1 = PVE
World2 = PVP
World3 = PVE
World4 = PVP

Kind of sucks as it appears the worlds you can choose are decided by your geographic location. I only can choose between worlds one and two, while my friend in Florida can only choose between three and four, thus we cant play together.

I was in it awhile back. The game is too easy. I mean short of you standing still and doing nothing...you really can't get defeated. That sucks hard.

The game has impressive customization and some interesting story lines in the missions but outside of that it falls flat on everything else.

PVP is sleepy. There are no rewards for PVP worth even talking about. Hopefully, they will add something before it goes F2P or dark.

[quote name='Megazell']PVP is sleepy. There are no rewards for PVP worth even talking about. Hopefully, they will add something before it goes F2P or dark.[/QUOTE]

Are you assuming every MMO is going F2P, or is there any evidence that DC Universe is going to be F2P?

Actually, I'm finding it quite easy to die in normal world questing, thanks to mobs I just killed respawning right on top of me. And my plant based powerset - I can barely kill anything with it. My weapon skills have been doing the brunt of the work for me thus far.

Which brings me to the big problem I have with this beta - it's never easy to tell what's "finished" and what isn't. Are the grenades coming out of my rifle supposed to explode into a bunch of ivy? Are the numbers "balanced" between power sets? Is the weird floating guardian head from Mysticism a final model? Would it really kill them to tag things that are placeholders with a "" in their name?

[quote name='JasonTerminator']Are you assuming every MMO is going F2P, or is there any evidence that DC Universe is going to be F2P?[/QUOTE]

Is it World of Warcraft? No, then I guess it's going to go dark or F2P very quickly.

[quote name='JasonTerminator']Are you assuming every MMO is going F2P, or is there any evidence that DC Universe is going to be F2P?[/QUOTE]

He assumes that because 9 times out of 10, an MMO goes free to play if it's not made by Blizzard.

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']Is it World of Warcraft? No, then I guess it's going to go dark or F2P very quickly.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']He assumes that because 9 times out of 10, an MMO goes free to play if it's not made by Blizzard.[/QUOTE]

Pretty much what these guys said.

To be honest, I hope this game does well for all of those involved. As 'gamers' we need more choices in TYPES and GENRES of MMO.

The problem is that they are dropping too many balls right out of the gate.

I think there is another thread on this game.

These days there are more F2P MMORPGs then P2P.

[quote name='Salamando3000']Actually, I'm finding it quite easy to die in normal world questing, thanks to mobs I just killed respawning right on top of me. And my plant based powerset - I can barely kill anything with it. My weapon skills have been doing the brunt of the work for me thus far.

Which brings me to the big problem I have with this beta - it's never easy to tell what's "finished" and what isn't. Are the grenades coming out of my rifle supposed to explode into a bunch of ivy? Are the numbers "balanced" between power sets? Is the weird floating guardian head from Mysticism a final model? Would it really kill them to tag things that are placeholders with a "" in their name?[/QUOTE]

Well, then you kinda of making my point...you standing still were you just took out a mob ;)

Every MMO respawns mobs like that. Kill and move on.

Yeah the numbers are off on a lot of things in that game but that is to be expected.

Last edited:
He's right though, the respawn times for mobs you just killed is dumb. I've also been killed due to that garbage as well, standing still or not. If you're within like 20-30 feet of them, they'll lock onto you.

[quote name='SEH']He's right though, the respawn times for mobs you just killed is dumb. I've also been killed due to that garbage as well, standing still or not. If you're within like 20-30 feet of them, they'll lock onto you.[/QUOTE]

Definitely. I was blasting through gorillas, but they kept responding, and I couldn't run fast enough, so I was overwhelmed a couple times. Luckily, the penalty for death is just a run back to where you were.

From what I've played of this, City of Heroes, and Champions Online, DCUO is the best super hero mmo. If I was still interested in paying $15/month for a MMO, I'd pay for it.

The customization for this game is subpar when compared to City of Heroes or Champions Online. All the classes or archtypes, or whatever you want to call them, feel very "samey" and seem to only have minor differences. I made a hero and had fun for a little while, then I made a villain to check that out and realized I was doing the exact same stuff as I just did on my hero cept it was all re-skinned to look evil.

I would like to think things will get better by release for this game since it is a beta, but other recent beta experiences have taught me that doesn't really happen anymore unless the dev is Blizzard. Also this game is being released on PS3 as well, which is why I think the game is so easy.

If you have ever played Vindictus, DCU is that, with super heroes.

No, probably just noticed that it has no where near enough content to justify a monthly fee.

I'm having an odd problem with my game right now. I won myself a beta key from a little ol' contest here, so I put in my key, grab the download, but whenever I start up the DC Universe Online Beta program, I'm greeted with this:

Bullshit.jpg

That never goes away. Stays on that screen forever. Any idea what went wrong?

My specs are "meh", Megazell, but I should be able to run the game.

On Windows Vista 32-bit (Not for much longer, hopefully), I've got 3 gigs of RAM, an Nvidia GeForce 8600 GT, and an admittedly pretty poor processor, an AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+ (2 CPUs), ~2.0GHz.

I can run games fine, this one won't even get off the SOE splash screen, though. Not sure if I downloaded the wrong thing or what. I've tested whether it just needs a while to get going or something, but nope. After an hour and a half, it was still there. What's SUPPOSED to happen when I run the Launcher?

Went to play yesterday and there was a 2.2GB patch. The menus are now MUCH better (crazy how much of a difference this made), stuff is a lot easier to navigate, you can actually bind stuff to Mouse4 and Mouse5, and overall the game just feels like it runs much smoother.

I'm really considering picking this up with a friend when it launches.

Honestly, ladies and gents, any idea what's up with my launcher? Is it because I'm on crap-tastic internet and it can't load? (Legitimate internet tomorrow! Whoo!)

Just stuck on that damn SOE splash screen.

I finally got around to trying this out the other day. I have really enjoyed it so far. I don't know that I will actually buy it and become a subscriber though. I just don't have a lot of time for MMOs these days.

Why is it that MMOs are either $15 or free? I am really interested in this but, $60 out the gate and $15 per month seems awful high for an action RPG that is much more limited than the competition. I have been wanting an MMO for my TV (not interest in FF IX) so I can play with a controller. For $15 buck, I would rather play WoW on the PC.

Right now I am on the fence, but I would be totally in if it was somewhere between 5 and 10 bucks.

[quote name='Stryffe2004']Why is it that MMOs are either $15 or free? I am really interested in this but, $60 out the gate and $15 per month seems awful high for an action RPG that is much more limited than the competition. I have been wanting an MMO for my TV (not interest in FF IX) so I can play with a controller. For $15 buck, I would rather play WoW on the PC.

Right now I am on the fence, but I would be totally in if it was somewhere between 5 and 10 bucks.[/QUOTE]

There are many other MMORPGs you can play by controller easily - Check out my list and try Vindictus and Divine Souls, if you have not already.

All MMORPGs try to do this because 1) they are trying to follow a standard that WOW set forth. 2) trying to recoup cost early so they can float to success. After awhile the game will be 'free'ish like other retail MMORPGs. Meaning, you will be able to dl it and just pay for the monthly fee.

So I just got around to downloading the Beta. Depending upon how it plays I'm debating picking it up and was wondering if Sony had mentioned anything about discounted or lifetime subs?

PC version has a $200 lifetime sub. You'd have to have a pretty big set on you to bite on that this early in the game though.

I've done some thinking about the game, and I think I'm going to hold off for a few months to see how everything pans out. I've been burned by too many MMO's that fizzle out ridiculously fast.

[quote name='SEH']PC version has a $200 lifetime sub. You'd have to have a pretty big set on you to bite on that this early in the game though.

I've done some thinking about the game, and I think I'm going to hold off for a few months to see how everything pans out. I've been burned by too many MMO's that fizzle out ridiculously fast.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I might pick up a copy via D2D for 34.95 and see what happens by the end of that time frame. I picked up the lifetime for Star Trek Online, and while I don't necessarily regret it, it has made me a little more thoughtful on lifetime subs. It was $240 so this one isn't as bad, but still. It makes it easier now that my brother uses my account too.

Played a little bit this morning. Let me tell you, bleary-eyed hungover is terrible way to game. However, I'm surprised it natively picked up the 360 controller. A lot of the buttons look like PS3 icons and layout, but that's to be expected. Some things work better and others worse via the controller compared to keyboard/mouse.

After playing the beta for a while longer I'm definitely picking up the cheap pre-order from D2D. Been having lots of fun.

Last edited by a moderator:
So I go to uninstall the beta, knowing that I have no intention of buying this, and I get a runtime error every time I attempt the uninstall. I've read on other forums that the uninstaller sometimes attempts to delete the system32 folder. Guess I'll have to use a third party uninstaller...anyone ever use REVO?

I tried using CCleaner to uninstall, and every time it would attempt to delete CCleaner rather than the DC Universe exe. I just wound up going into the C drive and manually deleting the folder.

[quote name='plasticbathmonki']So I go to uninstall the beta, knowing that I have no intention of buying this, and I get a runtime error every time I attempt the uninstall. I've read on other forums that the uninstaller sometimes attempts to delete the system32 folder. Guess I'll have to use a third party uninstaller...anyone ever use REVO?[/QUOTE]

The game wants to make sure that if you aren't going to play it, you're never going to play anything ever again, apparently.

I was able to clear it off using Revo. I'm really disappointed in how DCUO turned out. Perhaps it's the fact that I'm completely burned out on superhero MMOs thanks to CoH, but I just cannot get into this one. It's really a shame because I love the source material.

I know the game doesnt launch until tomorrow, but is there any interest in getting a CAG guild together? Id love to help put one together if enough people show interest.

Is the game really going to be $15 a month?

I played the beta for a little. It was alright, but whoo lawd I can't see myself paying $15 a month for it.

I did a last minute purchase from Direct2Drive this morning for the $35. I figure it's worth that for the first month to see how things go. Having trouble activating my key on Station though. Odd.

Hate to post this on both boards but is there a way to send friends demos of the game? I want to try this, but I don't want to spend $50-$60 on this game and find out my pc can't run this.

People who purchased the CE of the game got a card that they could give to friends for a 10-day trial. You'd have to find someone willing to give theirs up.

[quote name='Gden']Hate to post this on both boards but is there a way to send friends demos of the game? I want to try this, but I don't want to spend $50-$60 on this game and find out my pc can't run this.[/QUOTE]

You can use this to find that out - Can You Run This?

[quote name='SEH']People who purchased the CE of the game got a card that they could give to friends for a 10-day trial. You'd have to find someone willing to give theirs up.[/QUOTE]
My standard PC copy came with a 10-day trial as well

I'm looking to buy the pre-order bonuses that I don't have.

I need:
Joker's Confetti Bomb (GameStop)
Deathstroke's Draw (GoGamer)
Joker's Trick Pistol (Wal-Mart)
Lexcorp Kryptonite Blaster (Target)
Scarecrow's Screamer (Fry's)
Bladed Batarang (Best Buy)
Mr. Freeze's Zero Grenade (Direct2Drive)
Bane's Venom Injector (Steam)
Bat Grenade (Station Store)

I'm a sucker for stuff like this. :whistle2:k

bread's done
Back