DDR deal and suggestions

Sk8erlink7

CAGiversary!
Feedback
8 (100%)
I've been wanting to pick up a DDR game for quite some time, but I've never known which version to get and what dance pad I should buy. I've also never really seen them cheap.

I guess this is more of a suggestion thread, because I really don't mind if the game is $35 or so. What version of DDR is best, in your opinion, and what's a good dance pad for beginners that is reliable and fairly cheap?

Also forgot to mention that I can buy B&M and online, online is preferred though.

I haven't played DDR for a while, so I forget which game is best.

As for pads, the standard flimsy pad should be fine until you get to a difficulty of about 7. There's also the 1 inch foam pads, which are good until you get to about 9. If you're going for the 1 inch ones, don't get the Red Octane Ignition, since they're overpriced. The ones that BuynShop, Level Six, Mymybox, and Cyphergames sell are about the same quality and way cheaper. I've only tried BNS and Cyphergames, and I've had better experience with BNS. If you're gonna play more after that, you should probably either get a Cobalt Flux or just play at the arcade.

According to my friend who owns all of the PS2 DDR games, DDR Max 2 is the best one. I've never seen any of the PS2 DDR games on sale (don't know about clearances or regional stores), so retail (or GGC) isn't that bad for this game.

As for pads, of the few I've tried out, the official Konami ones seem to be the best "cheap" ones, as I had to smash arrows on my generic pad to get it to respond. You may want to check Best Buy for Red Octane Ignition pads, as I picked up one a few months ago for $35 after GGC. They may or may not still be priced that way in store (as it was also $40 online when I picked mine up B&M, but has since raised to MSRP).

Thinking about it now, I should have posted it in the deals section.

I enjoyed DDR Extreme 2 the most. Redoctane.com has Max 1 & 2 for $30 and Extreme 1&2 dor $40. They also have In The Groove, which is the same gameplay as DDR just not made by konami, for $20.

[quote name='Battousai1002']I would avoid In the Groove for now. The loading times are terrible.[/QUOTE]

Ehh, they aren't that bad. They may take a couple seconds longer to load up than the Konami DDR games, but that's no reason to avoid ITG entirely.

I personally hate J-Pop and anime, so ITG is my favorite of all the dance games. Has a HUGE selection of songs too. I still own (and play) every DDR game released in the US though.

If you plan on getting serious with DDR, it's best just to buy a nice pad like a Cobalt Flux at first instead of a bunch of cheap ones. I wasted about $200 on cheap pads that kept breaking down on me until I finally got a CF. If I just would have done that in the beginning, I would have saved a ton of money. New ones are expensive but you can get used ones for around $200 shipped. And since CF's are the best pads out there, you don't have to worry about about it crapping out on you any time soon if you do get a used one.

(BTW, don't get a RedOctane Afterburner. They look nice but the arrows crack easily and they break down after a couple months. The one I owned lasted exactly 3 months until I had to send it back for a replacement.)

For PS2, I thought MAX, MAX2, and Extreme 2 are all great games. (I think Extreme 2 is my favorite though.) I'd skip Extreme, unless you see it incredibly cheap.

For Xbox, Ultramix 2 is my personal favorite. Ultramix was good too, but I really didn't like Ultramix 3.

As for mats, I think you'd be fine with the standard bundled pad or a cheap Madcatz brand until you get really good. Then, it'd probably be best to move up to metal mats.

I only have the Original one for xbox and that seems fine to me. However when i was looking for it with my mom the employee at EB said that DDR was discontinued in June. Somehow we still found a bundle at Gamestop but who knows.

Order of best ps2 ones: Extreme 2, Max 2, ItG, Max, Itg

Just get yourself the $60 extreme 2 bundle with game and konami soft pad. It is well worth it.

bread's done
Back