[Dead] Amazon DotD 07/16/08: Stargate SG-1 - The Complete Series Collection for $117

Status
Not open for further replies.
Be very careful about buying this set, as I attempted to get one of these from my local Costco.

The packaging for the discs in this set sucks huge donkey balls. It's a part of folding cardboard holders, and about half of my discs had some type of scratches on them. I ended up returning it to Costco after checking the reviews on it on Amazon.com about the scratches.

Check out the reviews on this product before you commit to ordering it. There's numerous people that had issues with the packaging of the discs and had to go through multiple passes with Amazon.com to get a decent replacement, if they could get one at all that wasn't scratched in some way.

shrike4242 is correct. I bought this deal last time with Amazon, the deal is good but again, it is such a pain to continue to make multiple trade with Amazon to swap out the discs that are completely scratched. The design on this kind of packaging is completely flaw. Just like the X-Files Complete Collector's Series. The cardboard holders are very bad and all the discs dislodged and fell out or simply just scratched!!

I would not recommend people buying this but get the individual boxset (the older giftset amaray box or slimpacks box) which price around $16~$20. Yes, this complete boxset has some extras but they aren't worth the hassle.

Picked this up at Costco a little over a month ago for 109. Great deal on a great series, but I do agree with other user's comments on the packaging. It's not something that will hold up well through shipping..though you may get lucky. I ordered the X-Files Complete Box (which a lot of people said arrived damaged) through Amazon and it was very well packed and had no problems upon arrival.

Yes, the packaging for this set is very, very bad. Chances are when you take the DVD's out you'll end up with scratches on a lot of them, and some might even be unplayable. However, factor in the cost of the set and how much it will be to get six or seven disks resurfaced, and this is still a great deal.

It's a hassle, sure. But after resurfacing the disks from my set that didn't want to play, I still didn't mind because buying all the individual seasons would've been much more expensive.

The set I got from the costco coupon deal works perfectly. The packaging isn't the greatest, but if they ship it tightly in the box it should be fine. Too bad seasons 6 and 7 are out of sync when I rip and encode them.

[quote name='plft']The set I got from the costco coupon deal works perfectly. The packaging isn't the greatest, but if they ship it tightly in the box it should be fine. Too bad seasons 6 and 7 are out of sync when I rip and encode them.[/quote]You lucked out, then. More than 50% of mine had at least some small scratches, and a few of them looked like they'd been rubbed with sandpaper.

With all of the hassles Costco went through to get the one I purchased, finding a replacement was not going to be easy, so I decided to just pick up the single-season sets the next time they go on-sale. My guess is that might be a couple of weeks from now when Continuum comes out.

[quote name='DruidKnight@SD']If you have a Bill Me Later account you can use the $10 off $50 code - BLMSAVES to get the price down to $106.99 [/QUOTE]

For those making the plunge.

[quote name='shrike4242']You lucked out, then. More than 50% of mine had at least some small scratches, and a few of them looked like they'd been rubbed with sandpaper.

With all of the hassles Costco went through to get the one I purchased, finding a replacement was not going to be easy, so I decided to just pick up the single-season sets the next time they go on-sale. My guess is that might be a couple of weeks from now when Continuum comes out.[/quote]

Were any of yours out of the packaging when you got it, and how securely was the boxset wrapped up. When I picked it up all of the dvds were still snug in the package, and the shrinkwrap was rather tight I suppose preventing any further jostling. I'm glad that I haven't had any problems with them.

I want to pick this up and for 117 it is a really good deal. I'm just holding out for the price to drop a little more and for me to come up with the cash. Also I keep hoping that a BD set will come out.

[quote name='plft']Were any of yours out of the packaging when you got it, and how securely was the boxset wrapped up. When I picked it up all of the dvds were still snug in the package, and the shrinkwrap was rather tight I suppose preventing any further jostling. I'm glad that I haven't had any problems with them.[/quote]Mine was tight as a drum, and the discs were all in their respective spots. All of the scratching on the discs was either done in manufacturing or during shipment.

Either way, it scared me off from picking it up, and I'll just fork out the extra cash on the season sets the next time they're on the cheaper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back