(DEAD) Amazon DOTD - Lost: Seasons 1-5 sets ($72.99 DVD or $108.99 Blu-ray)

GenDV138

CAGiversary!
Feedback
6 (100%)
Amazon DOTD for today is Lost Seasons 1-5 on DVD for $72.99 or on Blu-Ray for $108.99. Comes out to around $14.60 per season on DVD and around $21.80 per season on Blu-Ray.

The Season 1 and 2 Blu-Rays should come with a $20 rebate for each season for those who already own the DVD versions, not sure about Season 3 and up.

DOTD Link

Direct Link

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Indiana Jones']I assume they'll have a complete series uber box set once the series is over, right?[/QUOTE]

Even so, $21 per season for Lost is a steal. fuck, why didn't Amazon offer this during Black Friday week?:cry:

[quote name='Indiana Jones']I assume they'll have a complete series uber box set once the series is over, right?[/QUOTE]

I would have to agree. I'm sure Amazon will just keep dropping the price of Blu-Rays in the future. I can wait for now until the complete set comes out. Plus I have Netflix and I can watch them in HD most of the time. So tempted though.

[quote name='tagout']Even so, $21 per season for Lost is a steal. fuck, why didn't Amazon offer this during Black Friday week?:cry:[/QUOTE]

I hear ya! I absolutely love the show, and was like WOW when I saw this price! I almost insta-bought, but thought I'd still check around and see what other websites were offering the set/individual seasons for. The cheapest I saw was $48.99 a season on Bluray.

Incredible deal that I couldn't pass on. I just figure I'll buy the final season on Bluray sometime in 2010, and even if I have to pay $40 or more, the savings I got on buying Seasons 1-5 will more than make up for that. If you're a Lost fan, this is the easiest buy ever!

[quote name='tagout']Even so, $21 per season for Lost is a steal. fuck, why didn't Amazon offer this during Black Friday week?:cry:[/QUOTE]
great deal but if you plan on getting the complete series this is kind of a waste, by the time that set comes out you wouldnt get but maybe 75-80 back from these

[quote name='LeonSKennedy']I hear ya! I absolutely love the show, and was like WOW when I saw this price! I almost insta-bought, but thought I'd still check around and see what other websites were offering the set/individual seasons for. The cheapest I saw was $48.99 a season on Bluray.

Incredible deal that I couldn't pass on. I just figure I'll buy the final season on Bluray sometime in 2010, and even if I have to pay $40 or more, the savings I got on buying Seasons 1-5 will more than make up for that. If you're a Lost fan, this is the easiest buy ever![/QUOTE]
most lost fans will buy the complete set + the dharma season 5 set (like me) i already know im buying the complete set + the dharma set coming this month but this set is just incredible

[quote name='joby27']I would have to agree. I'm sure Amazon will just keep dropping the price of Blu-Rays in the future. I can wait for now until the complete set comes out. Plus I have Netflix and I can watch them in HD most of the time. So tempted though.[/QUOTE]
netflix HD is a joke, is it even 720p? looks like upscaled SD as where this is full 1080p

[quote name='LeonSKennedy']I hear ya! I absolutely love the show, and was like WOW when I saw this price! I almost insta-bought, but thought I'd still check around and see what other websites were offering the set/individual seasons for. The cheapest I saw was $48.99 a season on Bluray.

Incredible deal that I couldn't pass on. I just figure I'll buy the final season on Bluray sometime in 2010, and even if I have to pay $40 or more, the savings I got on buying Seasons 1-5 will more than make up for that. If you're a Lost fan, this is the easiest buy ever![/QUOTE]

I watched Season 1-5 on Hulu, and I lol'd at some stuff they created (black smoke? wtf?) but I still love the show nonetheless.

Time to sell some of my game collection. -.-

damn you amazon... i already have seasons 1-4 on dvd and was gonna get season 5 on blu ray for ~50... at that point i'have already put ~$200 into this show...

if i get this deal, it'd be basically $60 more to upgrade my seasons 1-4 to blu ray...

i'm kind of betting that the inevitable complete blu ray set will mostly be fancy packaging and not highly superior transfers and tons of brand new special features... that way i won't be tempted to buy it... 'cause i'm not putting another $200+ into any show no matter how good this is, lol...

[quote name='styl3s']
netflix HD is a joke, is it even 720p? looks like upscaled SD as where this is full 1080p[/QUOTE]

Sometimes it sucks. But most of the time it not bad.

[quote name='joby27']Sometimes it sucks. But most of the time it not bad.[/QUOTE]

I just took a peak at Season 1 using my brother's Netflix account, and I must say it looked pretty good to me. However, it's nowhere near the Blu-ray quality this set has. I'd say it's better than DVD quality though from what I saw.

[quote name='tagout']22 hours and 30 minutes to go until this deal is dead.

108.99/5= $21.8 PER SEASON!

Buy it. d-_=b[/QUOTE]
i just did even though im going to kick myself once the complete series is announced.. hopefully ill beable to hawk them off next year for atleast 80 so it isnt a complete loss.. and there goes my dharma season 5 :( oh well i just wanted the swag in it so ill just snag the DVD version of that late next year for 30-40

such an amazing deal but i just know im gonna be pissed once they announce the complete series

[quote name='LeonSKennedy']I just took a peak at Season 1 using my brother's Netflix account, and I must say it looked pretty good to me. However, it's nowhere near the Blu-ray quality this set has. I'd say it's better than DVD quality though from what I saw.[/QUOTE]
it is, to me it just looks like upcoverted, it def does not look 720p/1080i and no where near 1080p, because i watched every season on abc HD and 1-4 were shown in 720 and i think the last season was 1080i and they looked better then netflix

im just tired of streaming things calling it HD when it really isnt, its better then SD but not as good as 720p/1080i and no where near 1080p

[quote name='styl3s']it is, to me it just looks like upcoverted, it def does not look 720p/1080i and no where near 1080p, because i watched every season on abc HD and 1-4 were shown in 720 and i think the last season was 1080i and they looked better then netflix

im just tired of streaming things calling it HD when it really isnt, its better then SD but not as good as 720p/1080i and no where near 1080p[/QUOTE]

I agree. There's no doubt they took an HD feed and then down-converted it to stream. If it was true HD, it'd take forever to stream and watch. As good as Netflix is, I'd still take a Blu-ray version of anything they offer over a streaming version.

I agree also. Not to mention the blu-ray version's superior or lossless audio tracks. It would be a disservice to your receiver and speakers (assuming) not to.

Really, it comes down to three things whether or not you take advantage of this deal.

One (and most importantly), you feel that a complete set (including Season 6) will be offered at an equal or lesser price on Bluray (which I highly doubt- a minimum $20 markup, and more likely $150 or more on sale).

Two, you feel it's a show that 5-10 years from now you'll sill want to pop in and experience it again (which I absolutley feel is the best thing about the show).

Three, you feel it's among the best shows in the history of television (bold statement). Without having the slightest clue how it's going to end, I will say that imho it's one of the top 3 written shows in the history of Television. I was talking to someone the other day about this show, and we both commented on how much of an "investment" this show requires of it's viewership. You miss just one week, and you don't have the slightest clue what the hell is going on.

I think this show will unfold in one of two ways. A), it ends in a matter that shocks everyone, and it goes down as one of the top 5 shows in the history of television (right up there with I Love Lucy, The Twilight Zone, etc.) B), the ending is a huge letdown (similar to how The Sopranos ended), and it's more notorious as to how it ended versus the sum of it's whole.

All I can say is I'm hooked on the show, and will love watching the first five seasons again (probably numerous times) in the highest quality possible.

[quote name='LeonSKennedy'] B), the ending is a huge letdown (similar to how The Sopranos ended), and it's more notorious as to how it ended versus the sum of it's whole.
[/QUOTE]

Like Battlestar Galactica. :roll:

Had to pull the trigger on the blu-rays, thats a pretty good deal. I'm not really a big fan of the show, but my gf loves it. I know it's been said before, but this site and Amazon are killing my wallet. BrokeAssGamer FTL:whistle2:(

SOOOO tempted. I've been looking for a deal on this on blu-ray for a while now. I have season 3 on blu (had seasons 1-2 on dvd but sold them in anticipation of replacing them w/ the blu sets). It looks like I could probably resell the sealed season 3 they'd send me on Amazon & recover somewhere around $30.

And I looked at the season 5 Dharma set some ppl here are talking about - that stuff doesn't interest me in the slightest (heck, I don't even own a VCR anymore to be able to watch the VHS). I just want the show, hi-def. Soooooo tempted....

Got it all on Blu, but ordered the DVD set for my mom. I've been trying to get her into it for months but she doesn't understand Hulu.

Thanks for the heads up OP!

Ordered a set of the Blu-Rays. I might keep it for myself or I'll give it to my family if they don't already have the DVDs.

Hmmmm, still have never seen this show. The overt-consumer is saying blu (getting my first one soon), the rationalizer is saying "use your $25 GC on the DVD" and the cheap side is saying "save the cash".

Oh CAG, you do my wallet injustice. What to do.....?

Thanks OP ! Picked up a bluray set and used my $40 promo code for purchasing DJ Hero. On the way for $68.99 !

Had to order. It's not much more than I was about to pay for just Seasons 1 and 2 on blu-ray a couple weeks ago.

I bought this on Blu Ray as soon as I saw it this morning, even though I own 1-3 on DVD and 4 on Blu Ray. You will NEVER find such a great TV show on Blu Ray for under $22 a season. Seriously. The price per season won't get lower than this for years, with or without a complete series box set. I could go on all day about how great of a show this has been so far, but I won't even bother- do yourself a huge favor and get the Blu Rays of this!

I have season 1-4 on blu already, and preordered season 5 off amazon for $47. This is such a good deal, I can't believe it's being offered this low. Anyone slightly interested in the show should pick it up.

Lost is in my top 5 of favorite shows ever. The others being Twin Peaks, Babylon 5, Farscape, and Angel.

:wall: :wall: :wall:

Ugh. Tempted, tempted, tempted.

On the one hand, I already have S1 and S2 on DVD and S3 and S4 on Blu.

On the other hand, I'd probably be spending at least $40 x 3 = $120 to replace S1 and S2 on Blu and add S5 if I go for replacing S1 and S2.

Is it worth replacing S1 and S2? I can always Craigslist my existing copies of S3 and S4 I guess.

[quote name='texasnightowl']:wall: :wall: :wall:

Ugh. Tempted, tempted, tempted.

On the one hand, I already have S1 and S2 on DVD and S3 and S4 on Blu.

On the other hand, I'd probably be spending at least $40 x 3 = $120 to replace S1 and S2 on Blu and add S5 if I go for replacing S1 and S2.

Is it worth replacing S1 and S2? I can always Craigslist my existing copies of S3 and S4 I guess.[/QUOTE]
you could easily craigslist/ebay/amazon store your 3 and 4 BR for 30 each and probably 25-30 total for both S1 and S2 SDDVD so theres 50-60 towards your purchase

i already had S3 BR i bought used for 25 months back and just sold it for 30

[quote name='styl3s']it is, to me it just looks like upcoverted, it def does not look 720p/1080i and no where near 1080p, because i watched every season on abc HD and 1-4 were shown in 720 and i think the last season was 1080i and they looked better then netflix

im just tired of streaming things calling it HD when it really isnt, its better then SD but not as good as 720p/1080i and no where near 1080p[/QUOTE]

What proof do you have that it's not HD? Just the fact that you think that it doesn't look as good? Are you getting the full stream off Netflix? It is absolutely in HD and from the HD source. I've never seen an SD unconvert look anywhere near that good.

What it is, is a lower bit-rate compression than what gets sent over broadcast and obviously on blu-ray. That doesn't make it not HD.

To me, it still looks damn good, and it's more than watchable and way more convenient than the dvd's or blu-rays.

That being said... 22 bucks a set is pretty damn good... but when they are on Netflix it's tough to justify.

[quote name='styl3s']you could easily craigslist/ebay/amazon store your 3 and 4 BR for 30 each and probably 25-30 total for both S1 and S2 SDDVD so theres 50-60 towards your purchase

i already had S3 BR i bought used for 25 months back and just sold it for 30[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I decided to go for it. I'll probably try Craigslist first...never sold on Ebay before actually.

One of my favorite shows right now. Too bad i don't have the money right now. Hope someone gives it to as a Christmas present though!

Already have 1-3 on DVD and have been looking for a great deal to get 4 & 5. This appears it. I'll just sell my extras of 1-3 and end up paying something like $30 for the most recent seasons.

Lost is my favorite TV show that's still running, but I will wait for the complete set. I watch every episode 3 or 4 times the week that it airs anyway. I'm what you might call completely obsessed.

[quote name='LeonSKennedy'] If you're a Lost fan, this is the easiest buy ever![/QUOTE]

aye aye!
the BD seasons are usually over 40$ each.

[quote name='argyle']
And I looked at the season 5 Dharma set some ppl here are talking about - that stuff doesn't interest me in the slightest (heck, I don't even own a VCR anymore to be able to watch the VHS). I just want the show, hi-def. Soooooo tempted....[/QUOTE]

same. why is everyone crazy about it? a bunch of useless junk that adds nothing to the experience of the show. and i really dont need more stuff to cram into my small apartment. a vhs? cmon...

i am really torn. i really want this, and there is no reason for me to wait for a complete set as itll most definitely cost way more. a 6 season show in 1 box set?! keep in mind its like 24 hours per season, the total price will be no less than 150$ ON SALE. besides i prefer to have individual boxes, easier to manage and store.

on the other hand, its 110$, and i just spend 250+ during the BF week =[
(not to mention i just bought ROME... fuck)

Why..? Why would they do this to me? It's less than $1 an episode on Bluray...absolute cheapest I've seen these sets, ever.

But it's missing a season...and I'd rather have a boxset...BUT COME ON. AHHH.

I'll mull this over and if it's still around when I get home, I'll ponder it some more. The main point is this...it's probably going to be a year and a half until we even *see* a boxset of some sort. It'll then probably be a year and half before *that* goes on sale. Question is...can I wait 3 years? Probably. But...still...

Worst case you can make your money back reselling these sets if you need to "upgrade".

This is a tough decision...

[quote name='mang9432']What proof do you have that it's not HD? Just the fact that you think that it doesn't look as good? Are you getting the full stream off Netflix? It is absolutely in HD and from the HD source. I've never seen an SD unconvert look anywhere near that good.

What it is, is a lower bit-rate compression than what gets sent over broadcast and obviously on blu-ray. That doesn't make it not HD.

To me, it still looks damn good, and it's more than watchable and way more convenient than the dvd's or blu-rays.

That being said... 22 bucks a set is pretty damn good... but when they are on Netflix it's tough to justify.[/QUOTE]

dude. no matter what you want to think, you are simply NOT getting a 1080p stream. period. no one is.
it is a 720p stream which has been very heavily compressed, which detracts quality immensely. it is similar to what some cable providers do w/ their hd channels in order to be able to squeeze more channels into their service.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1089285

Jumped on this deal even though I haven't watched a single episode. I really want to see what the fuss is about. However, I might have made a mistake.

I love shows with intriguing characters and stories, but LOST seems to be the bunt of a lot of jokes by late show comedians and SNL. The jokes are always along the line of "no one knows what's going on with LOST anymore." As in, the story seems to be convoluted or something.

Hell yeah. It'll probably be a hatch that lights up.

[quote name='Xiemos']Jumped on this deal even though I haven't watched a single episode. I really want to see what the fuss is about. However, I might have made a mistake.

I love shows with intriguing characters and stories, but LOST seems to be the bunt of a lot of jokes by late show comedians and SNL. The jokes are always along the line of "no one knows what's going on with LOST anymore." As in, the story seems to be convoluted or something.[/QUOTE]

the first 3 seasons were more about keeping the mystery and not telling you much at all. they were out to keep you lured in by giving you many WTF moments without much explanation. seasons 4 & 5 have been very giving on info, and the old complaints no longer apply.

[quote name='weeskwee']the first 3 seasons were more about keeping the mystery and not telling you much at all. they were out to keep you lured in by giving you many WTF moments without much explanation. seasons 4 & 5 have been very giving on info, and the old complaints no longer apply.[/QUOTE]

yeah, and also when you can watch them back to back, it doesn't seem so bad that they don't reveal much, as you can just watch the next episode.

Talked to the wife at lunch, and we decided to bite. :) I sold my DS to a friend a week ago anyway, so it's basically a swap.

bread's done
Back