[DEAD] Band of Brothers [Blu-ray] - $9.88 shipped at DD (In for a cancellation?)

We all know where this is headed but in for one anyway :)

My only suggestion to anyone not familiar with DD: Don't use Paypal as a checkout option. Go with a real CC that you can verify payment vs. pending easily with.

[quote name='Kerig']We all know where this is headed but in for one anyway :)

My only suggestion to anyone not familiar with DD: Don't use Paypal as a checkout option. Go with a real CC that you can verify payment vs. pending easily with.[/QUOTE]
Oops, wish I saw this thread earlier then. I only saw the SD thread earlier today and finally got around to ordering half an hour ago or so, using Paypal.
Oh well.

There is quite a bit of people on SD saying that DD usually fulfills orders on OOS items, it just takes forever. This will still be worth it if it takes 4 months to get.

DD has actually canceled orders with price mistakes before. I wouldn't be a pollyanna about this.

[quote name='Masterkyo']try my luck or they give out $5 - $10 for free ;)[/QUOTE] That will never happen. DD is unapologetic and will never do anything to rectify errors like these.

They might send it. Last time they had a $5 off coupon for anything (even $5 or less) they honored it. I believe it was single use though so probably not as widely abused.

[quote name='lionheart4life']They might send it. Last time they had a $5 off coupon for anything (even $5 or less) they honored it. I believe it was single use though so probably not as widely abused.[/QUOTE]

How is that comparable to this? That wasn't a price mistake, and it certainly isn't anywhere as close to this in terms of the money they'd lose if this was honored.

Yeah, could easily see them losing in the neighborhood of 7 figures for the price mistake if they fulfilled the orders that slipped through. These internet retailers have razor thin margins as it is.

So then what's the most likely outcome of this? The $9.88 still says Pending on my credit card, are they going to charge it or cancel it? I never got an email from DD, and the order status on their site still says Open.

[quote name='ssjmichael']That wasn't a price mistake, and it certainly isn't anywhere as close to this in terms of the money they'd lose if this was honored.[/QUOTE]

Assuming, of course that this is a price mistake. It's always possible that they managed to get a deal on overstocks, or leftover non-returnable warehouse stock from another retailer (say, Borders) that closed down, etc. Admittedly it's a long shot -- odds are high that it was a mistake and these orders will be cancelled. But I wouldn't necessarily just assume that to be the case either. Far as I'm concerned, it didn't hurt to throw an order in, and if they cancel it, then they cancel it. No big deal.

[quote name='arcane93']Assuming, of course that this is a price mistake. It's always possible that they managed to get a deal on overstocks, or leftover non-returnable warehouse stock from another retailer (say, Borders) that closed down, etc. Admittedly it's a long shot -- odds are high that it was a mistake and these orders will be cancelled. But I wouldn't necessarily just assume that to be the case either. Far as I'm concerned, it didn't hurt to throw an order in, and if they cancel it, then they cancel it. No big deal.[/QUOTE]

Supposing they did get overstock, you seriously think DD of all companies would sell them for $8.99? They could sell them for more than double that and still sell out of every single one. Frankly, giving "deep discounts" like this out of the blue, especially with zero advertising of it is not something DD does. At the very least, if they planned to heavily discount something like this, they'd make it their deal of the day, and again, at maybe $30 or $40, NOT $8.99.

Additionally, if it wasn't a price mistake, then why is the price back up to $74.63? I have no doubt whatsoever that this was a price mistake. Whether they'll honor any of them is still unknown, but I imagine most of us are in for a cancellation. Whether they give some sort of discount to make up for that is also unknown. When they had their recent anime sale and orders were delayed they emailed out $5 discount codes, so it's possible they could do something like that again (though I think that's unlikely too).

Just got an email, my order was cancelled.

Dear Customer,

While we strive for excellence, sometimes mistakes happen. Over the weekend we had a pricing error on a popular product. As a result, we have had to cancel your order for Band of Brothers. Be assured you will receive a full refund for any charges incurred.

We are so sorry for the inconvenience. And as always, we do appreciate your business.

Yep, just got one too. At least they were quick with the cancellation this time, rather than just having the order sit in our accounts indefinitely.

[quote name='ssjmichael']Supposing they did get overstock, you seriously think DD of all companies would sell them for $8.99? They could sell them for more than double that and still sell out of every single one. Frankly, giving "deep discounts" like this out of the blue, especially with zero advertising of it is not something DD does. At the very least, if they planned to heavily discount something like this, they'd make it their deal of the day, and again, at maybe $30 or $40, NOT $8.99.

Additionally, if it wasn't a price mistake, then why is the price back up to $74.63?[/QUOTE]

Eh, I'm not looking to debate this with you. As I said, I agree that you're right and it's probably a mistake. But there's always a chance that it's not, so why not give it a shot? It's only really a problem for those who are so uptight that they can't deal with a cancellation that they knew was probably going to happen anyway.

Cancelled too, oh well, life goes on :p

I love the "Strive for excellence" part in the email.

They haven't had excellence in years lol

for whatever reason my order still shows as "Open", but I never got any email when i placed it or any cancellation yet. anybody else in that situation? i'm assuming they'll cancel it though.

IMO they've never had "excellence" I remember when they used to have decent deals on movies. Their free shipping would take 3-4 weeks to get something in.

[quote name='mr_bungle']IMO they've never had "excellence" I remember when they used to have decent deals on movies. Their free shipping would take 3-4 weeks to get something in.[/QUOTE]
I don't know, when I first discovered them, I thought they were pretty great. Shipping was pretty quick for being free (about 2 weeks at most), and I had orders replaced promptly whenever an issue arose.

Supposedly the person that posted this on Slickdeals is actually an employee at Deep Discount. Seems to me like a cheap marketing ploy. Get everyone to go to their site, hope they buy something else with Band of Brothers, and then cancel the only "deal" on their site. Something should be done about this BS. It's not the first time and I'm sure it won't be the last.

[quote name='mannam23']for whatever reason my order still shows as "Open", but I never got any email when i placed it or any cancellation yet. anybody else in that situation? i'm assuming they'll cancel it though.[/QUOTE]

I just received my 1st order confirmation E-mail from them today showing the item is in-stock, the order is open, and the intended delivery method is 5-10 Business Day Delivery.

The simple fact that it took them 5 days to send me a simple order confirmation speaks volumes about the company.

UPDATE: 1.5 hours after my 5-days-to-send confirmation E-mail, they promptly sent me the cancellation E-mail.

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back