(Dead) Battle Royale: The Complete Collection [Blu-ray] Amazon $20 Preorder

Very nice deal, especially considering the first movie alone is being sold for the same price and has no bonus content:

http://www.amazon.com/Battle-Royale-Blu-ray-Chiaki-Kuriyama/dp/B006L4MX0Y/ref=pd_cp_mov_0

I only really liked the first movie to be honest, but I'm still in.

Here's what's included:

This four-disc collection offers the Battle Royale theatrical and director's cuts and the Battle Royale II: Requiem director's cut, with Battle Royale in a 1.78:1 aspect ratio and Battle Royale II: Requiem in a 1.85:1 aspect ratio. All versions have accompanying 7.1 Japanese (w/English subtitles) Dolby TrueHD and 5.1 English Dubbed Dolby TrueHD audio tracks. The set also contains the following bonus supplements:

• The Making Of Battle Royale featurette
  • Battle Royale press conference
  • Instructional video: "Birthday Version"
  • Audition/rehearsal footage
  • Special effects comparison featurette
  • Footage from the 2000 Tokyo International Film Festival
  • Battle Royale documentary
  • "Basketball Scene" rehearsals
  • Behind-the-scenes featurette
  • Filming on-set footage
  • Original theatrical trailer
  • Special Edition TV spot
  • TV spot: "Tarantino Version"
Source: Blu-ray.com

[quote name='dmdragon']Yeah, i read the first one is amazing, but the second is complete and utter crap.[/QUOTE]

first one is in my personal top three. second aint coming anywhere near that, but I dont feel bad giving it the once over.:hot:

Hope the quality on this is good. But in all honesty it's just nice to finally get the stupid thing here. Everyone seems to hate on 2 but I thought it was a decent enough movie. Maybe not in quality with the first but still... Don't screw us on this one, Starz.

*pre-ordered~

Thanks for the heads up! I locked in the price. The first one is such a great movie but the second one leaves a lot to be desired.

[quote name='funkymonkeyjavajunky']I think I'll stick with my 3-Disc (Limited Edition) boxset. The new releases do not include any of the printed extras.[/QUOTE]

I'm sure everyone here is shocked by such a bold decision :roll:

[quote name='dmdragon']Yeah, i read the first one is amazing, but the second is complete and utter crap.[/QUOTE]

First was amazing as was the book and the second was just ok.

Pre-ordered. It'll look great next to the UK box. If this sells well, maybe Anchor Bay would take more risks regarding foreign titles, beyond Anime.

Funny timing, I just started reading The Hunger Games today after incessantly hearing about it on the CAGCast.

This release will be great for those who have never seen it so long as they don't think it's a cheap knockoff of THG before their movie comes out.

IIRC, Columbine killed any chance of a U.S. release of Battle Royale when it first released.

[quote name='XxFuRy2Xx']What are the chances that the price goes lower than this after it's released?[/QUOTE]

Pretty good considering the general trend of Bluray prices seems to be going down but who knows when. If the reviews are good, there is no reason not to buy at this price. if you want it right away buy now, otherwise wait.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='XxFuRy2Xx']What are the chances that the price goes lower than this after it's released?[/QUOTE]
For the single-disc ugly-cover version it will easily and quickly go below $15.

For the Complete Collection, I'm worried it won't even stay this low for another week before going back to a $25-$30ish price-point on Amazon. It truly feels like a price mistake that will be corrected.

I've already got the Arrow set, but for 20 bucks I'll grab this and hope there's something improved/different about the transfer for the original movie, and pick up the second which is weird, but I like.

[quote name='Kerig']For the Complete Collection, I'm worried it won't even stay this low for another week before going back to a $25-$30ish price-point on Amazon. It truly feels like a price mistake that will be corrected.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I had already pre-ordered it when it was first announced at $34.99, but I cancelled that one and re-ordered at $19.99 rather than risking whether they would do a price adjustment on the existing order or not (I mean, I know that with their pre-order price guarantee they normally should, but I don't know what happens if it was a price mistake...).

And looks like it's back up to $36.99 now, so I'm glad I did...

[quote name='arcane93']And looks like it's back up to $36.99 now, so I'm glad I did...[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the heads up. Updated op.

M

It made the frontpage on SD, that's why. Not to discredit this, but they'll buy anything once it's validated as a fp deal and they certainly can push something to the top spot

[quote name='ssjmichael']It made the frontpage on SD, that's why. Not to discredit this, but they'll buy anything once it's validated as a fp deal and they certainly can push something to the top spot[/QUOTE]

This ^

[quote name='ssjmichael']It made the frontpage on SD, that's why. Not to discredit this, but they'll buy anything once it's validated as a fp deal and they certainly can push something to the top spot[/QUOTE] And then most of them try to resell it and hock it with various shyster methods. The circle of SD.

Ugh can't believe I missed out on this. I even went out and bought an Amazon gift card to buy it last night.

I was a bit disappointed when the price changed, but not as disappointed as the people who missed out. I got my preorder in, but couldn't find anything worthwhile to add to my order to get FSSS on Monday. Fast forward to last night and I was browsing Amazon and saw a Kamikaze headband that I have been wanting to pick up for when I lift, to help get me hyped. Having to pay for shipping had been nagging at me, so I decided, "Hey, I'll cancel my preorder, then reorder with the headband." Luckily I checked the price before canceling...

[quote name='D0RC']I can't wikipedia this right now but what other movie is comparable to this, if any? Thanks.[/QUOTE]

A lot of people have said that The Hunger Games is a rip off of Battle Royale. I tend to agree on a basic level.

Dang I am glad I decided to pre-order mine. I haven't seen this series yet, BUT I wanted to. My friend has the DVD but unfortunately it's scratched to hell. I almost bought her the DVD again for a little over $20 on amazon...good thing I saw this thread. I got my pre-order in and I almost didn't do it before I took my lunch at 12:30PM yesterday...good thing I did because when I came back it was up to $36.99. This movie sounds interesting and Tatsuya Fujiwara (guy who played Light Yagami) is in it, so it must be good!

Didn't get in on the deal, but some of the comments were the first I heard about The Hunger Games. Ended up buying the first book in the trilogy for my girlfriend because she reads a good bit and it seemed like something she'd like. Not for the reason intended, but thanks for the thread OP.

Glad I got in on the 19.99 price, but it's strange they did that in the first place for the entire collection. Not complaining though. Thanks OP.

It'll be nice to revisit the movies on Blu-ray after all these years.

[quote name='trabbahabba']A lot of people have said that The Hunger Games is a rip off of Battle Royale. I tend to agree on a basic level.[/QUOTE]

I don't think so and I've read the original Battle Royale novel along with seeing the movie multiple times and having read the Hunger Games books. People way overuse the term "rip off" when things have similar premises. While their base conceits are similar pretty much every other aspect of the stories are vastly different.

[quote name='gothamcentral79']I don't think so and I've read the original Battle Royale novel along with seeing the movie multiple times and having read the Hunger Games books. People way overuse the term "rip off" when things have similar premises. While their base conceits are similar pretty much every other aspect of the stories are vastly different.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. The only similarity is that kids are sent to an arena to fight to the death. Other than that...nothing is similar from what I can recall. Oh well, it's nice to be able to watch Battle Royale again.

bread's done
Back