[DEAD] Borderlands (PC) - $19.99 at Amazon! (Goldbox deal)

didn't the makers of borderlands use the term role playing shooter a lot? google the term and you'll see most links are for that game

Borderlands was also a gold box deal a couple weeks ago, and I don't remember exactly but it either used the exact same clue, or something similar with basically the same mention of "role-playing shooter", so I'm guessing it'll be a repeat. Think it was $30 last time too, which wasn't that great at all, so here's hoping it goes lower.

Too bad borderlands is awful. Got it for 27 on a steam sale and still feel ripped off that I actually paid money for the game.

[quote name='terb73']Too bad borderlands is awful. Got it for 27 on a steam sale and still feel ripped off that I actually paid money for the game.[/QUOTE]
Get some friends.

[quote name='jaredhenry13']Get some friends.[/QUOTE]

The awful multiplayer is the reason I stopped playing the game. haha

Bad game is bad game.

how is it a bad game? Really curious.. unless you got the game thinking it was an FPS like CoD or something... and you're blaming the game instead of your own self for jumping on deals.. =) haha

I would say it is almost certainly borderlands. The last time there was a goldbox deal with borderlands, I remember it using that exact description.

It sounds like terb played it on the PC. I remember hearing on the bombcast that one of the guys played it on PC and absolutely hated it, but then played it for 360 and loved it

[quote name='sthenic']It sounds like terb played it on the PC. I remember hearing on the bombcast that one of the guys played it on PC and absolutely hated it, but then played it for 360 and loved it[/QUOTE]

This.

If you would like to host a game on PC, you will have to set up port forwarding. I had no issues with this and hosted fine, but half the games listed don't work because of this.

When I did actually play the game (Wouldn't say I hated it if I didn't play) I was simply blown away with how poor the multiplayer design was.

If I am on a different step of a quest, I have to back out and find a new game? I thought we left this way of questing with Diablo 2, but I guess gearbox didn't get the memo.

Even if you actually do the quests, I have seen deeper and more interesting quests in MMOs.

Also, being able to get credit for quests half way across the map is pretty worthless. The last thing I want to do with a new game is to rushed through leveling.

The only interesting part of this game is the art design, which is hardly a reason to purchase a game.

For a game the is marketed as a "4 player experience" this game just falls so short. Maybe the game is completely different for the 360, but this game isn't worth the time I just spent writing this review on the PC.

tldr: connecting to games, quest design, multiplayer game design all make borderlands a game that should be in the bargain bin.

^ ah makes sense. yeah, the PC version has issues, but that's like the 360. It's just it's accepted as the norm on 360 so it's not a big deal hahah

[quote name='terb73']This.

If you would like to host a game on PC, you will have to set up port forwarding. I had no issues with this and hosted fine, but half the games listed don't work because of this.

When I did actually play the game (Wouldn't say I hated it if I didn't play) I was simply blown away with how poor the multiplayer design was.

If I am on a different step of a quest, I have to back out and find a new game? I thought we left this way of questing with Diablo 2, but I guess gearbox didn't get the memo.

Even if you actually do the quests, I have seen deeper and more interesting quests in MMOs.

Also, being able to get credit for quests half way across the map is pretty worthless. The last thing I want to do with a new game is to rushed through leveling.

The only interesting part of this game is the art design, which is hardly a reason to purchase a game.

For a game the is marketed as a "4 player experience" this game just falls so short. Maybe the game is completely different for the 360, but this game isn't worth the time I just spent writing this review on the PC.

tldr: connecting to games, quest design, multiplayer game design all make borderlands a game that should be in the bargain bin.[/QUOTE]
I haven't had any issues with port forwarding. I couldn't get the voice chat working, so my friends and I had to turn on a group chat in Steam's UI, but that was no big deal.

As for the design of the game itself, yes, the quests are shallow. But the fact is, the whole system of quest-giving boils down to (1) kill this many of these things, (2) bring me this item, or (3) go to this place. I fully agree that shleping back to the quest-giver is a much harder thing in Borderlands than it should be, that the system for sharing quests is awful/basically nonexistent, and that the game has some serious balance issues. But shallowness isn't the problem, exactly. Shallowness (along with a viciously honed understanding of dopamine response) is the bread and butter of all Diablo clones.

It's a complete mess, but if you're playing with friends, then it's more fun than it has any right to be. As a longtime PSO fan, I can appreciate the value of a game like that, warts and all.

Definitely worth it at that price IMO, I got it off the Steam sale earlier on.

The GameSpy matchmaking kind of sucks though which I hear can be replaced by GameRanger or something like that. I haven't looked into it myself yet but I've heard that it's better.

[quote name='yuugotserved']yup :) $20 is definitely better than last times deal at Steam for $25[/QUOTE]

Except if you went in on a 4 pack, you got it for $18.75.

This is weird. I was a work when this was going and didn't have much time. I logged in and added one to my cart. I accidentally removed it from my cart while trying to remove other things and it would not allow me to re-add it because it says I already claimed the deal. I'm wondering If I should call customer support to see if I could get it at that price. Though I've been spending way to much on PC games since I build my new one. I may be better off saving the money.

bread's done
Back