(DEAD) Buy Any 2 Upcoming Studio Ghibli Blu-ray titles for $38 at Best Buy

ssjmichael

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Update: Amazon has now pricematched Best Buy's prices!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.ht...d_t=201&pf_rd_p=1365259902&pf_rd_i=B005LAIGXM

Best Buy has an amazing deal on the upcoming Disney/Studio Ghibli titles (Arrietty, Whisper of the Heart, and Laputa: Castle in the SKy. They currently have them for $22.99 each, which already is cheaper than anywhere else. But if you buy 2 of them you save an additional $8 instantly. So basically once you add both to your cart the total comes to $37.98 before taxes. I can't imagine these will be any cheaper by the time they're released (which is 5/22). Each film includes a Blu-ray and DVD.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?type=category&id=pcmcat271500050004

Update:

Just a heads-up that Target will have this same deal in their ad for 5/20-5/26. It's possible BB will too, but this at least bodes well for a stacking opportunity if Disney releases any coupons of their own.

I think the fact that it's in the ad means there's a good chance Amazon will match these prices. Especially if BB has it for this price in their ad too

(credit: blu-ray.com)

Last edited by a moderator:
You may want to add "blu-ray" to the title or somewhere in your post (besides the credit at the end). It's a bit confusing since I already have Whisper of the Heart and Laputa on DVD, and you say "upcoming".

[quote name='antlp89']Pardon my ignorance, but are these movies really worth $19 each?[/QUOTE]

I'd say so. I've never seen Ghibli blus (or DVDs for that matter..) go for less than $16. So for 2 new releases to be $19 each? I say it's quite the deal.

[quote name='antlp89']Pardon my ignorance, but are these movies really worth $19 each?[/QUOTE]

Absolutely. I consider Ghibli titles to be among the best animated films ever made, and in many cases I rank them highly among non-animated films as well. These are every bit as worth the money as a Disney classic on Blu is, in my opinion. Studio Ghibli titles rarely go on sale too so getting them for $19 each is a bargain.

Thanks so much, OP! Getting Ghibli Blus for $20 is as good as it gets. I did two separate orders to get all three $22.99 titles plus an extra copy of Castle in the Sky which will be a gift for a friend.

I already have Laputa and Whisper on dvd, and yet I am still all over this, along with Arrietty, which I have not yet seen. Thanks OP!

Excellent find. Gonna wait a bit and see if Amazon matches, but if not I'll be jumping on this.

feel free to submit these lower prices to amazon, the more people that do it, the better chance we have.

If you don't know how, every product page has a "Tell us a bout a lower price" link about a 1/3rd of the way down. Click it and enter the links for these and the price and hit submit. I do it often, and they often do match the prices submitted

It looks like Target will be having this same deal in their upcoming ad (5/20-5/26). That bodes well for a stacking opportunity if Disney releases a coupon of their own. BB may have it in their ad too, but that hasn't come out yet.

And I thought I got a good deal from Amazon buying 2 Ghibli movies for about $50. This deal is amazingly cheaper and end up picking all 3 new Ghibli studio titles for $65. Can't beat that price!

Last edited by a moderator:
We probably won't get Spirited Away for some time. Japan has to get it first, and they haven't announced it yet. Then it usually takes about a year afterwards before Disney gets around to releasing their version.

[quote name='watcher0']Amazon has a similar deal with different base prices. If you're looking to grab Nausicaa and Ponyo, Amazon is better.

Amazon Ghibli Blu-ray Deal Page[/QUOTE]

Amazon requires that one of the movies be Arrietty. Also, Ponyo will be even cheaper at Target next week if you're willing to wait.

If you're a newbie to Ghibli (like myself), it looks like the best bet is to get Castle in the Sky and Whisper of the Heart from BB ($37.98), then pick up Arrietty and Ponyo at Target ($37.98). I don't see a great way to add in Nausicaa yet.

How well does the English voice-over align with lip movements on these films? Poor alignment breaks the immersion for me and tends to be a deal-breaker.

[quote name='WingsDJY']Amazon requires that one of the movies be Arrietty. Also, Ponyo will be even cheaper at Target next week if you're willing to wait.

If you're a newbie to Ghibli (like myself), it looks like the best bet is to get Castle in the Sky and Whisper of the Heart from BB ($37.98), then pick up Arrietty and Ponyo at Target ($37.98). I don't see a great way to add in Nausicaa yet.

How well does the English voice-over align with lip movements on these films? Poor alignment breaks the immersion for me and tends to be a deal-breaker.[/QUOTE]

The lip synch in Ponyo was good. I usually watch these in Japanese with subtitles on, but Ponyo was good in English. Can't vouch for the other movies, though i've heard some people were disappointed in Arrietty's voices.

I'd like to get Arrietty and Nausicaa, but that's still $45ish at Amazon, not much of a savings. :whistle2:/. How is Whisper of the Heart?

I only had Ponyo on blu ray so I ordered Nausicaa & the new 3 Ghiblis from the Disney Movie Club. Got the first for $29.99 & the other 3 for $14.99 each (total of $74.96 or about $17.75 each). Best deal I could find since there is no tax, shipping, gas plus a free VIP Pin with the order. They shipped early and should arrive by release date at the latest.

Since most of the Ghibli movies that have come out on BD have released at $24.99 - $27.99, though most of them have had $10 coupons on release (Nausicaa, Ponyo), so they've been $14.99 - $17.99 at time of release.

If they release at $22.99 each and you can get them for $18.99 net ($14.99 for one and $22.99 for the other) each at time of release, it's likely about as cheap as they're going to be. Ghibli movies don't get much cheaper after release.

Sadly the odd number of movies kinda borks up this deal (I already have both Nausicaa & Ponyo). Arriety & Whispers are my priorities, but I'm hoping for a coupon or deal where I can work Castle into the mix as well.

[quote name='argyle']Sadly the odd number of movies kinda borks up this deal (I already have both Nausicaa & Ponyo). Arriety & Whispers are my priorities, but I'm hoping for a coupon or deal where I can work Castle into the mix as well.[/QUOTE]That's also my issue.

I have Arrietty and Castle on a pre-order with Amazon with Castle having a Gold Box discount and the combined $8 savings. I have a separate pre-order for Whisper also with a Gold Box discount as well. Only way I could do it would be to order Whisper + Ponyo or Nausicaa (both of which I already own) and return the "extra" movie for the $22.99 cost, keeping Whisper at $14.99 + tax. Which is the slimy way to do it and apparently the only way to do it.

And for anyone ordering from Best Buy, the second movie on the order is the one that gets the full $8, not split across each item at $4 each.

Man....these blu-rays are going to be released in less than a week, and there's STILL no in-store coupon from Disney in sight. Disney is really holding back on the deals this time around.

Still wondering whether it's best to order it online now or to wait for the in-store deals in hopes of a coupon...

It wouldn't hurt to wait a little longer. Best Buy's upcoming ad should leak soon so we will know if they have this same offer in their ad too. Target has it in theirs, but there's no mention of any coupon savings, so it doesn't seem likely that there will be any for these

Next week's BBY ad has leaked, but it looks like they aren't advertising this deal in it aside from listing Arrietty at $22.99 for the BR+DVD combo.

The question for me is whether Amazon will drop it's pre-order price to match the 22.99. I am in for Arietty and Castle In the Sky regardless. Love Ghibli movies.

I can't see them not dropping it with both Best Buy and Target having them for that price

Also it looks like there's going to be peel off stickers on each title meaning there might be a stacking opportunity at Target for these. Not sure about Best Buy since only Arrietty is advertised in the ad, not the Buy 2, Save $8 offer.

[quote name='ssjmichael']I can't see them not dropping it with both Best Buy and Target having them for that price

Also it looks like there's going to be peel off stickers on each title meaning there might be a stacking opportunity at Target for these. Not sure about Best Buy since only Arrietty is advertised in the ad, not the Buy 2, Save $8 offer.[/QUOTE]Is there any way to find out more about those stickers? If they're immediate "Take $x" off-type things, then I can't see anywhere other than Target being the place to go in terms of minimizing cost and I'll cancel my Amazon preorder for Arrietty and Castle In the Sky.

I'm not 100% positive, but it should be an instant savings mfrs coupon. Disney did a similar peel off combo savings offer when Monsters Inc and Up came out. And Target also had their own in-store combo savings that stacked with it. This sounds a lot like that again.

So, assuming Target's advertised $8 savings is independent of the peel-off sticker it should work out as follows:

$22.99 + $22.99 - $8 Target offer - $8 Disney peel-off coupon = $29.98 + taxes for two

[quote name='ssjmichael']I'm not 100% positive, but it should be an instant savings mfrs coupon. Disney did a similar peel off combo savings offer when Monsters Inc and Up came out. And Target also had their own in-store combo savings that stacked with it. This sounds a lot like that again.

So, assuming Target's advertised $8 savings is independent of the peel-off sticker it should work out as follows:

$22.99 + $22.99 - $8 Target offer - $8 Disney peel-off coupon = $29.98 + taxes for two[/QUOTE]:shock: Hot dang, that's an awesome deal, and far better than Amazon (even if they match the $22.99 prices) IMO, though there is the fact that I won't have credit to use (unlike at BBY and Amazon).

I think I'll cancel my Amazon order and hope the peel-off coupons are as you project. Thanks! :D

[quote name='ssjmichael']I can't see them not dropping it with both Best Buy and Target having them for that price

Also it looks like there's going to be peel off stickers on each title meaning there might be a stacking opportunity at Target for these. Not sure about Best Buy since only Arrietty is advertised in the ad, not the Buy 2, Save $8 offer.[/QUOTE]
Oh wow, time to cancel my Amazon order then.

[quote name='Jodou']Oh wow, time to cancel my Amazon order then.[/QUOTE]

I can't guarantee that it'll stack with Target's offer, but that's what it sounds like. Target doesn't mention that you have to use a peel off coupon to get their $8 savings so I'm thinking it's two different offers.

[quote name='ssjmichael']I can't guarantee that it'll stack with Target's offer, but that's what it sounds like. Target doesn't mention that you have to use a peel off coupon to get their $8 savings so I'm thinking it's two different offers.[/QUOTE]Depends on how it works in their system. If it's an instant discount with the two titles purchased at once and the stick-on coupon is a manufacturer coupon, it'll stack.

I think that's how the savings on Tron Legacy and Tron Classic worked when they both came out on BD.

You guys are getting me hyped for the 20th - I work at Target and an extra 5% off from a Red Card and then a 10% employee discount would make this impossible to pass up. My only problem's that I also seem to have an odd number of films to buy; I already have Ponyo and I'm assuming Nausicaa isn't part of this. Heck, last I checked, my store didn't even carry it any more.

Guess I might have to poke around at work on Saturday and see if anyone knows anything. Doubt it, though - my store doesn't seem too electronics-focused and no one in that department seems to know anything in advance.

Dumped my Amazon pre-order for Arrietty and Castle due to the $25 digital coupon Best Buy sent me for the Prototype 2 steelbook pre-order fiasco.

Both those movies for $14 out of pocket after the $25 digital coupon? Yes, please.

Terms of promotions like this:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...5&entryURLID=cat12178&entryURLType=page&h=287

Items of note:
[quote name='From BB.com']Bundle Purchases
Bundle purchases can be returned in accordance with our standard return policy. If you are unsatisfied with an individual item you purchased as part of a bundle package, you may return that item separately.

Please Note: In many bundle packages, a discounted price has been applied to each item in the package. While you will be refunded the discounted price of the individual item you return, you will be required to pay the difference between each remaining item's bundle price and its non-discounted price on the date of your bundle purchase. Please call Customer Care at 1-888-BEST BUY (1-888-237-8289) for details about how returning an individual bundle item will impact your cost.[/quote]

I think that since one movie is receiving the full discount and the other movie is receiving no discount, the above doesn't apply to the single discounted item.

Amazon price matched, finally. Just ordered The Secret World of Arietty and Whisper of the Heart for $37.98 total. If it works out to where further tomfoolery can be pulled at Target, I'll probably still have time to cancel--I just got Super Saver shipping, and they haven't been shipping on or by release day with that lately. Besides, even if the Target thing does work out paying tax there versus not on Amazon close to balances it out anyway.

[quote name='chicagocubsfan']I wish they would have a deal where you could just buy two Ghibli films and get $8 off. I would get Nausicaa and Whisper of the Heart.[/QUOTE]

Isn't that the deal that will be going on this coming Tues.? Unless you are referring to AMZ only.

I believe Target also has a $8 coupon sticker on the slipcover so you should be able to combine that with the $8 promo. That is if the $8 promo in the ad is a separate Target promo.

So.... Target prices

$22.99
+ $22.99
----------
$45.98
- $8.00
----------
$37.98
- $8.00
----------
$29.98

$14.99 for two flicks isn't bad that is if the Target $8 is a separate store promo. Hopefully my Target won't throw away all the slipcovers as that is where the coupon will be.

bread's done
Back