(DEAD) Buy Any 2 Upcoming Studio Ghibli Blu-ray titles for $38 at Best Buy

ssjmichael

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Update: Amazon has now pricematched Best Buy's prices!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.ht...d_t=201&pf_rd_p=1365259902&pf_rd_i=B005LAIGXM

Best Buy has an amazing deal on the upcoming Disney/Studio Ghibli titles (Arrietty, Whisper of the Heart, and Laputa: Castle in the SKy. They currently have them for $22.99 each, which already is cheaper than anywhere else. But if you buy 2 of them you save an additional $8 instantly. So basically once you add both to your cart the total comes to $37.98 before taxes. I can't imagine these will be any cheaper by the time they're released (which is 5/22). Each film includes a Blu-ray and DVD.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?type=category&id=pcmcat271500050004

Update:

Just a heads-up that Target will have this same deal in their ad for 5/20-5/26. It's possible BB will too, but this at least bodes well for a stacking opportunity if Disney releases any coupons of their own.

I think the fact that it's in the ad means there's a good chance Amazon will match these prices. Especially if BB has it for this price in their ad too

(credit: blu-ray.com)

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Deserter Goose']You guys are getting me hyped for the 20th - I work at Target and an extra 5% off from a Red Card and then a 10% employee discount would make this impossible to pass up. My only problem's that I also seem to have an odd number of films to buy; I already have Ponyo and I'm assuming Nausicaa isn't part of this. Heck, last I checked, my store didn't even carry it any more.

Guess I might have to poke around at work on Saturday and see if anyone knows anything. Doubt it, though - my store doesn't seem too electronics-focused and no one in that department seems to know anything in advance.[/QUOTE]
This.

Nice deal. I have nausicaa already so not sure what to get. Ponyo and arietty..? I saw arietty at the theatres and it was very bad. Wish they had spirited away. Need princess mononoke eventually as well.

Well I guess my procrastination paid off. By keeping the Amazon order I'll end up paying $3 more on a gamble that these coupons pan out. Otherwise if they don't, I'd pay ~$4 more at retail.

[quote name='neoz']Isn't that the deal that will be going on this coming Tues.? Unless you are referring to AMZ only.

I believe Target also has a $8 coupon sticker on the slipcover so you should be able to combine that with the $8 promo. That is if the $8 promo in the ad is a separate Target promo.

So.... Target prices

$22.99
+ $22.99
----------
$45.98
- $8.00
----------
$37.98
- $8.00
----------
$29.98

$14.99 for two flicks isn't bad that is if the Target $8 is a separate store promo. Hopefully my Target won't throw away all the slipcovers as that is where the coupon will be.[/QUOTE]

At Target, Arrietty has to be one of the two titles you buy. Best Buy is the only one that allows you to choose any 2 Ghibli titles, but their prices for Nausicaa and Ponyo are $29.99

[quote name='neoz']Isn't that the deal that will be going on this coming Tues.? Unless you are referring to AMZ only.

I believe Target also has a $8 coupon sticker on the slipcover so you should be able to combine that with the $8 promo. That is if the $8 promo in the ad is a separate Target promo.

So.... Target prices

$22.99
+ $22.99
----------
$45.98
- $8.00
----------
$37.98
- $8.00
----------
$29.98

$14.99 for two flicks isn't bad that is if the Target $8 is a separate store promo. Hopefully my Target won't throw away all the slipcovers as that is where the coupon will be.[/QUOTE]

Where did you find out about the coupons on the slipcovers? I'd be all over this deal for $14.99 a piece.

I haven't watched any Ghibli films yet, but I came accross Howl's Moving Castle on one of the Starz HD channels a week or so ago and was impressed with how beautiful the film is in high def. I have to watch that one off my DVR today I guess to see if I want to invest in these blurays at Target tomorrow.

[quote name='SonictheHedgehog1337']Where did you find out about the coupons on the slipcovers? I'd be all over this deal for $14.99 a piece.

I haven't watched any Ghibli films yet, but I came accross Howl's Moving Castle on one of the Starz HD channels a week or so ago and was impressed with how beautiful the film is in high def. I have to watch that one off my DVR today I guess to see if I want to invest in these blurays at Target tomorrow.[/QUOTE]
Arrietty is a different tone with less emphasis on fantasy despite the subject matter. The visuals don't stray the path, however.

BTW, you'll have to wait til Tuesday unless you have some insider that's going to hook you up. ;)

So is there any proof that there's going to be coupons on the covers, or is it just someone's guess? If there's no guarantee, I think I may just jump over to Amazon at this point.

I really don't think Target will honor two $8 promos...

haven't we been in a situation like this before with other Disney flicks on blu?

[quote name='Deserter Goose']So is there any proof that there's going to be coupons on the covers, or is it just someone's guess? If there's no guarantee, I think I may just jump over to Amazon at this point.[/QUOTE]

From what I've seen, people are just speculating at this point. To further complicate things, all of the Targets around me have a tendency to throw the slipcovers away (they won't fit in their blu-ray keepers if they keep them on), so even if A) there are coupons on the front and B) Target will take them and let them stack with their pre-existing $8 off two promo, there's not a great likelihood that I personally would be able to track down copies with slipcovers at Target in the first place.

[quote name='Penguin1084']I really don't think Target will honor two $8 promos...

haven't we been in a situation like this before with other Disney flicks on blu?[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately people are being hopeful and pulling deals out of their ass.

The coupon is ON THE COVER, just like many other coupon offers. The $8 off requires the MFG coupon on pack, it is not a store discount. The coupon will take $8 off two films.

[quote name='sirhansirhan']From what I've seen, people are just speculating at this point. To further complicate things, all of the Targets around me have a tendency to throw the slipcovers away (they won't fit in their blu-ray keepers if they keep them on), so even if A) there are coupons on the front and B) Target will take them and let them stack with their pre-existing $8 off two promo, there's not a great likelihood that I personally would be able to track down copies with slipcovers at Target in the first place.[/QUOTE]

Ouch. I've stocked electronics on truck days and never took off the slipcovers (nor did anyone else I worked with). It's a tight fit in the Blu-ray-specific cases, sure, but it's doable if you're careful - otherwise it does get a little mashed up in the back (somehow - I'm not an expert when it comes to the mystical world of plastic case physics).

[quote name='sirhansirhan']From what I've seen, people are just speculating at this point. To further complicate things, all of the Targets around me have a tendency to throw the slipcovers away (they won't fit in their blu-ray keepers if they keep them on), so even if A) there are coupons on the front and B) Target will take them and let them stack with their pre-existing $8 off two promo, there's not a great likelihood that I personally would be able to track down copies with slipcovers at Target in the first place.[/QUOTE]

It's been confirmed by people at Blu-ray.com who work at certain retailers that there are peel-offs. And your Target's must suck ass because my Target's don't throw out slips nor have I heard of any other people complaining that their store throws away all slips. They definitely do fit in the security cases so that sounds like BS to me too.

[quote name='Romeo']Unfortunately people are being hopeful and pulling deals out of their ass.

The coupon is ON THE COVER, just like many other coupon offers. The $8 off requires the MFG coupon on pack, it is not a store discount. The coupon will take $8 off two films.[/QUOTE]

First of all, not one person said they they'll definitely stack at Target. It's merely a prediction based on logic. The only person really pulling things out of their ass is you since you're making definitive statement.

But answer me these two things:

1.) If the deal advertised in Target's ad required a peel off sticker, why didn't they mention this in the ad?

2.) If the deal advertised in Target's ad required a peel off sticker, why does Target's specific offer require the purchase of Arrietty, while the peel off apparently does not have any such restriction?

Like I've said, we'll have to wait till Tuesday, but it is very much a possibility that there are two independent offers here. As I've also said, this has happened in that past. When Monsters Inc and Up came out, Target had their own combo savings, and there was also a peel-of coupon on Monsters Inc which stacked. I should know, I got both for less than $15 combined.

People also seem to have a pretty short memory. Just last year there was a deal for Tron Legacy and Tron Classic where Target had their own $8 savings that stacked just fine with the $5 DMR coupon.

Here is a link to a picture of the ad mentioning the combo savings from Target: http://cdn2-b.examiner.com/sites/de...sh/f0/0b/f00bff7b3b4ce565d1d8750efb7ab3f9.jpg

You'll notice that it not only requires the purchase of Arrietty, but it also allows you to save $8 if you buy Ponyo, and again no mention of requiring a coupon. I'm waiting to hear back to see if this is exactly what you can do with the peel-off sticker. I'd personally be surprised if Disney made the coupon work on older Ghibli titles too, since the coupon is designed to save on buying multiples of the new releases. If the peel off has no such offer, then logically one can presume tha the two offers are different.

That's actually a really good point. Target absolutely DESTROYS slip-covers with their shitty security cases. I've actually seen cases where they shattered the inside BD case trying to jam it in. Yeah, Amazon is the way to go IMO.

[quote name='Jodou']That's actually a really good point. Target absolutely DESTROYS slip-covers with their shitty security cases. I've actually seen cases where they shattered the inside BD case trying to jam it in. Yeah, Amazon is the way to go IMO.[/QUOTE]

My Target likes to completely destroy box sets with the spider security thing.

[quote name='Jodou']That's actually a really good point. Target absolutely DESTROYS slip-covers with their shitty security cases. I've actually seen cases where they shattered the inside BD case trying to jam it in. Yeah, Amazon is the way to go IMO.[/QUOTE]

From experience, and feedback from others, Amazon isn't always that great when it comes to delivering movies with slips unharmed. I don't know if my Target is just better, or uses different security cases, but the movies aren't that tight in them, and the slips are fine. I've only bought like 5 Disney movies with slips from them and they've all been perfect :whistle2:k

I think Monsters Inc had a similar promo with coupons on the slipcover. I do remember the in-store deal stacking with the coupon though. All we need is confirmation that there is in fact a coupon on the slipcover.

My Target uses this type of security case for Blu-rays:

MrUy7.jpg

Like I said, it's a tight fit but completely safe if done properly. If I can't get a certain Blu-ray to fit in one, I just throw it into one of the taller, red-tipped cases that we normally use for DVDs/video games.

As for the person who complained about the spider wraps, we're supposed to put everything in a death grip to ensure that the device doesn't get ripped off. It makes me cringe every time I see it, though (and I don't do it that tightly if I have to do the wrapping).

[quote name='Deserter Goose']My Target uses this type of security case for Blu-rays:

MrUy7.jpg

Like I said, it's a tight fit but completely safe if done properly. If I can't get a certain Blu-ray to fit in one, I just throw it into one of the taller, red-tipped cases that we normally use for DVDs/video games.

As for the person who complained about the spider wraps, we're supposed to put everything in a death grip to ensure that the device doesn't get ripped off. It makes me cringe every time I see it, though (and I don't do it that tightly if I have to do the wrapping).[/QUOTE]

At least someone takes the time and effort to be kind to the slips.

My local Target just started putting them in the plastic coffins and they are killing them. Is there anyone I can complain too or suggest they get bigger cases?

[quote name='neoz']At least someone takes the time and effort to be kind to the slips.

My local Target just started putting them in the plastic coffins and they are killing them. Is there anyone I can complain too or suggest they get bigger cases?[/QUOTE]

Your best bet would be to ask if they have any copies in the back that you can purchase - we don't keep the backstock in cases like that at my store (and I'm assuming that's the norm for the other ones, too).

A person who works in retail at blu-ray.com said their copies at their store didn't have peel-off stickers on them so that's not a good sign. 2 for $38 might just be the best offer for these

[quote name='ssjmichael']A person who works in retail at blu-ray.com said their copies at their store didn't have peel-off stickers on them so that's not a good sign. 2 for $38 might just be the best offer for these[/QUOTE]

If that's the case I'm just keeping my Amazon order + gold box discount. Thanks!

Pardon me, but how are the special features of the Blu-rays of Laputa and Whisper of the Heart? Does it mirror the DVD (re)releases?

[quote name='ssjmichael']From experience, and feedback from others, Amazon isn't always that great when it comes to delivering movies with slips unharmed. I don't know if my Target is just better, or uses different security cases, but the movies aren't that tight in them, and the slips are fine. I've only bought like 5 Disney movies with slips from them and they've all been perfect :whistle2:k[/QUOTE]

QFT. I've had 2 Disney Blus ship from Amazon and arrive with the slips unglued and creased. Those bubble mailers don't protect slips very well.

Arriety and Castle in the Sky popped up in my Gold Box.

Except they're the DVD versions.

And selecting "Not Interested" for them seems to remove the blu-ray versions from my recommended list. Hmm.

[quote name='Ratchet & CAG']Can you PM the Target ad for Ponyo and still get the $8?[/QUOTE]Good luck with that.

Normally PM + other deals don't work, though it depends if it's an automatic promotion or not. If it's a coupon that they need for the deal to go through, PMs disable coupons working at the register. If it's automatic deduction of the $8, then it should work, though no guarantees.

Quick! Which title should I get with my copy of Arrietty? Laputa, Nausicaa, or Whisper? I want all three, but don't have that kind of cash to throw around. I've had one friend recommend Laputa, but they haven't seen the other two (so I'm getting a skewed opinion).

[quote name='Deserter Goose']Quick! Which title should I get with my copy of Arrietty? Laputa, Nausicaa, or Whisper? I want all three, but don't have that kind of cash to throw around. I've had one friend recommend Laputa, but they haven't seen the other two (so I'm getting a skewed opinion).[/QUOTE]

I'm picking up arrietty and castle in the sky later today. Nausicaa is good but is my least favorite ghibli film and I had never heard of whisper until about a week ago. Castle in the sky is a great film and I can't wait to see it on bluray.

[quote name='R3sin']I'm picking up arrietty and castle in the sky later today. Nausicaa is good but is my least favorite ghibli film and I had never heard of whisper until about a week ago. Castle in the sky is a great film and I can't wait to see it on bluray.[/QUOTE]

Awesome, two opinions are good enough for me. Thanks for the input! :)

[quote name='shiftdeleted']any word confirming any "on the box" coupons?[/QUOTE]

Well, I posted yesterday that the copies at the Target I work for didn't have coupons on 'em and someone else mentioned the same thing, so while it's not 100% confirmed, I'd guess that they're not there.

Not related in the least.. but Puss in Boots Blu is 19.27 but with coupon MOMSAV40 it drops it to $11.xx

Not bad to throw that in on top if your a fan.

Just FYI: I received my BDs from Best Buy yesterday, and they weren't shipped in a box. They used cardboard mailers, which didn't protect the slipcases at all. All four have bad scuffs, creases, and a couple tears...

Not sure if this is YMMV, but when I added Whisper of the Heart and Castle in the Sky to my card it took off $5... so I checked to see what adding Arrietty would do. I got the additional $8 off too, for a grand total of 55.97 for the three.

[quote name='shiftdeleted']any word confirming any "on the box" coupons?[/QUOTE]

I went to Target,Bestbuy today and there is no $8 off coupon stickers on them.

If you buy the movies at Target you can return just one for $18.99. When you buy 2 it says on receipt below each movie Refund Value: $18.99. So if you want all 3 you can buy 2 copies of Arrietty the 2 other movies and then return one of the copies of Arrietty.

Geez, I want this but these prices are really high compared to what I'm used to. On top of that, I'd only be able to get the deal on two unless I want to buy somewhere then return one which I don't want to do. Which is better, Castle in the Sky or Wispers of the Heart?

i just went to Target and got Arriety and Castle..$8 off plus a i had a $5 giftcard from buying 2 bags of charcoal there. i also had ordered Arriety and Whisper to get $8 off, plus 1 was in my gold box. so if I dont keep both copies and give one to a friend, ill sell. wanted the DMR pts too

bread's done
Back