[DEAD] Direct2Drive - EA weekend 75% off DA:O, Hot Pursuit, BC2 Vietnam, MoH, more

Killer price on DA:O, still haven't played the copy I picked up from Steam.

Anyone have an opinion on whether or not MoH is worth it? I just picked up BF3, so I feel kind of silly buying a game so similar, but it doesn't come out for another monthish.

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']Killer price on DA:O, still haven't played the copy I picked up from Steam.

Anyone have an opinion on whether or not MoH is worth it? I just picked up BF3, so I feel kind of silly buying a game so similar, but it doesn't come out for another monthish.[/QUOTE]
Same here, i decided to watch some multiplayer videos online and i gotta say it looks pretty weak, i think i can live without MoH since i got the Battlefield 3 on hand

[quote name='Brownjohn']Can I use this BC2 Vietnam with my Steam version of BC2?[/QUOTE]

That should work fine, to activate Vietnam you just plug a serial number into your copy of BC2. I bought BC2 on Steam and then got Vietnam from the EA Store direct.

I really like moh. Didn't play multiplayer, I enjoyed single player. Liked the story and the thematic set pieces. I think it was interesting how you played with 3 different type of soldiers whose stories interconnected. I also thought it was cool how your ai would say where the enemy was (i really cant think of any other recent game doing this).

Anyway my 2c.

$5 for MoH singleplayer is well worth it imo, even if you don't want to try the MP at this late date.

DAO Ultimate, that price is just too hard to resist.

[quote name='loomis1975']$5 for MoH singleplayer is well worth it imo, even if you don't want to try the MP at this late date.[/quote]
Agreed.
The SP is short and sweet.

DAO Ultimate, that price is just too hard to resist.
One of the best strategic-style RPG's ever.
It's certainly up there w/ BG2.

[quote name='ndawgdrake']Can anyone confirm if you can activate NFS: HP either on Origin or Steam?[/QUOTE]

u can activate it on origin.

Never got around to finishing DAO...i was one of the few who enjoyed the 2nd more than the first.

but at that price it is tempting...

MoH single player is excellent. Just don't go in expecting lots of Baysplosions or insane set pieces. The game's style and realism is very grounded compared to Call of Duty's and Bad Company's.

I might grab Vietnam for a friend.

Hmmm $5 for MoH campaign sounds like a good deal. If I could get 5 hours out of it, that would hit the sweet spot for my deal ratio haha

Multiplayer for MoH is actually pretty good. It's between BF2 and BF3 graphically. Doesn't have a ton of maps and such, but the controls are decent. I'd say that portion is worth 5 too.

I'm with Das_Regal on MoH. Multiplayer is simple but well-designed, and controls are tight in single or multiplayer. Also, I love that it's almost impossible to camp a spawn point in MoH mp.

[quote name='Kasama']Can MOH be activated on Steam?[/QUOTE]
No, no, no, and no!
MOH (2010) is a EA title.
EA uses Origin for their products.

Why would EA let their games activate on Steam?
Especially given that EA doesn't really want to adhere to some of Steam's new rules.
The fiasco w/ Dragon Age 2 and Crysis 2 being yanked off Steam by Valve were b/c EA want to sell DLC exclusively over their service.
And also b/c EA wants patches and updates to go ONLY through Origin.

Also - SWTOR and BF3 are Origin exclusives.

[quote name='MysterD']No, no, no, and no!
MOH (2010) is a EA title.
EA uses Origin for their products.

Why would EA let their games activate on Steam?
Especially given that EA doesn't really want to adhere to some of Steam's new rules.
The fiasco w/ Dragon Age 2 and Crysis 2 being yanked off Steam by Valve were b/c EA want to sell DLC exclusively over their service.
And also b/c EA wants patches and updates to go ONLY through Origin.

Also - SWTOR and BF3 are Origin exclusives.[/QUOTE]

You do know that medal of honor among other EA games like Battlefield and Need for Speed are sold on Steam right?

^ but I would figure people do understand that those games won't be activated on Steam. Especially with everything that has happened between the two companies. Either way he answered the question. Moving on.

[quote name='Kasama']You do know that medal of honor among other EA games like Battlefield and Need for Speed are sold on Steam right?[/QUOTE]

Of course I do!

While you might be able to activate EA games you bought on Steam OVER onto Origin [especially the newer ones, since EA wants you to move over and use Origin]...
It has NEVER been the other way around!!!
Meaning - you could buy a EA product anywhere outside of Steam (Retail, D2D, Gamersgate, Amazon Download, etc), IT WILL NOT register on Steam.

EDIT:
What you can do though is, buy a Non-Steam-sold game, install it, then just "Add A Non-Steam" game.
You won't get all of Steam's benefits for that non-Steam game, but you'll get a good deal of them still [take screenshots, be online on Steam w/ your Friends, Steam back-up Utility, etc].
Namely, you won't be getting patches and updates from Steam, if you do so...You'll still have to get them elsewhere [for the version you bought].
You also won't get Steam Achievements, Stat-Tracking, Time-Tracking [number of hours you played], and all of that stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
can anyone tell me how Dragon Age will be activated if I buy it? do I get a downloadable version or do I have to redeem a key off of Origin/Steam/iono?

[quote name='theamato']can anyone tell me how Dragon Age will be activated if I buy it? do I get a downloadable version or do I have to redeem a key off of Origin/Steam/iono?[/QUOTE]

Usually, w/ EA games I buy from D2D, you're give the DL link w/ your game key and you can download the zip file w/ your installer files if you want - this is how Sims 3: Late Night [expansion] from D2D worked (b/c that doesn't activate on Origin); and how most games work from there.
I don't know how DAO Ultimate works from D2D - b/c well, I bought that from Steam and uploaded the key instead to Origin.

Honestly, you could just activate the key on Origin, which I think is easier. Here's why.
One of the best things about Origin games is the game-folder where your game's actually is installed IS your back-up as it is, if you want it to be.
That's b/c within your actual game folder is the INSTALLER sub-folder w/ the installer files inside of it.

You could just back that up entire game's folder somewhere else, if you want to back it up - DVD's, Blu-Ray disc, another HDD, etc.

All you'd need to do on a reinstall is RUN that file EXE file in that "Installer" FOLDER - and it'll reinstall the entire game.

WARNING -> DAO - Ultimate is huge and around 28 GB in size.

Not letting me buy MoH, it says it needs a phone number to verify, and when I enter mine, it just says
"Unable to validate

We could not validate your transaction. Please contact Customer Service to complete your purchase.

We are unable to process your call. Please contact Customer Service for further assistance."

Sent them a support email, and got an instant response that actually fit my problem, which says to me this isn't a new issue for them. Ever since Gamefly got their mitts on D2D, it's been going to shit for me. Their support system is really bad, it used to be fine.

It might be a good idea if you guys having problems w/ D2D, might be worthwhile if many of us just hop on Amazon, mention that the download version price of these games at the section of a game's page that says "tell us a lower price".

EDIT:
Okay, I've done told Amazon about D2D's prices for DL versions of these EA...and y'all should, too.
It'd be nice to see Amazon match these prices D2D got going on...which they've done before, in the past, plenty of times.

Bit on MOH for the campaign and bit on NFS for its awesomeness. Both activated on ORIGIN without a hitch!

all of these games activate on Origin right? considering picking up MoH and NFS Hot Pursuit.... also that price on DA:O is a steal, I already own it on Steam but I haven't gotten around to playing yet

[quote name='ndawgdrake']Bit on MOH for the campaign and bit on NFS for its awesomeness. Both activated on Steam without a hitch![/QUOTE]

So you used the activate a product on steam option and not the add a non steam game option?

[quote name='LazyTriangle']all of these games activate on Origin right? considering picking up MoH and NFS Hot Pursuit.... also that price on DA:O is a steal, I already own it on Steam but I haven't gotten around to playing yet[/QUOTE]

A while back...
I bought MOH [2010], and NFS: Hot Pursuit, and NFS: Shift from D2D.
Those activated fine over on Origin.

Sims 3: Late Night [expansion] from D2D would NOT activate on Origin.
You must register that over Sims 3 website.
You DL that expansion through D2D.

Interested in the Sims 3 expansion, but not going to buy it if it doesn't activate on Origin.

Also considering MOH. Have most of the others.

I personally find Direct2Drive's download/patch system horrible.

[quote name='mkaliaz']Interested in the Sims 3 expansion, but not going to buy it if it doesn't activate on Origin.

Also considering MOH. Have most of the others.

I personally find Direct2Drive's download/patch system horrible.[/QUOTE]

I don't think any of Sims 3 expansion activate on Origin period, no matter of where you bought them.
If you try activating Late Night [from D2D] on Origin, it tells you that ALL Sims 3 expansions must be registered on Sims 3 website.

About D2D's download system - you just really need A LOT of open space, b/c you get a ZIP file, have to extract the ZIP contents somewhere [installer files], and then install that into a directory.
So, you need 3x's the amount of space open compared to usual - i.e if the game is 3 GB download, you'll really want 9 GB open just so you can install.
Then you can delete the ZIP file itself and extracted installer files.
Might want to back-up the installer files somewhere else, though - on DVD, BR, another HDD, whatever.

Thanks for the reply.

Did you have any issues with compatibility from the base game and expansions being purchased from different sites or whatnot?

[quote name='mkaliaz']Thanks for the reply.

Did you have any issues with compatibility from the base game and expansions being purchased from different sites or whatnot?[/QUOTE]
Nope.

I bought Sims 3 original from Retail on disc [at Best Buy] and Sims 3: Late Night from D2D.
All works great w/ them mixed together.
Remember, Sims 3 Retail registers itself on Origin - so that's probably half-the-battle here.

Late Night is a really good expansion.
If you liked Sims 1: Hot Date expansion, this is up your alley....and then some.
All the "celebrity" stuff is great. :)

Only thing keeping me from buying NFS:HP is that the DLC they released for the console versions isn't available on PC..

On another note, I was kinda hoping Crysis 2 would be on sale. Oh well.

[quote name='DigitalE']Only thing keeping me from buying NFS:HP is that the DLC they released for the console versions isn't available on PC..[/quote]
I understand that, but at the cheap price of $7.50....this game is EASILY worth that kind of $.

On another note, I was kinda hoping Crysis 2 would be on sale. Oh well.
Oh, I'd LOVE to see that, as well.
I still need to get Crysis 2.

[quote name='seamoss']Does anyone know in general what kind of DRM DA:O has left?
Or, in particular, for the one that D2D is selling?[/QUOTE]

DA:O Ultimate Edition - Digital Download Versions uses either Sony DADC or Securom Internet Edition, if I recall.
Look here.

Activating the DLC can be a MAJOR problem - make sure you have DAO Authorization Service is running in the background.
If it's not listed in your Services [check msconfig], good chance - it didn't install itself [common DAO Ultimate Edition issue].
So jump in the DAO folder, go to installer folder, run the DAO ServiceSetup installer for it, and install the service.
Check to make sure the DAO Service is running in the background.
If yes, run DAO w/ your Bioware account, wait a few moments, check DLC, see if it activated.

Upcoming Patch 1.05 [FINAL Version] is supposed to fix the DLC activation problem.
It's in Beta, as we speak.

bread's done
Back