[DEAD] Dreamcast console (sold by Amazon) - OOS

I bought one of these about three weeks ago from Amazon (and not a marketplace reseller). As far as I can tell it was brand new, and it works great.

Amazon's product description for this is hilariously out of date.

The Dreamcast system is, in a word, awesome. Fire up Soul Calibur, and instantly you'll appreciate that the graphics and gameplay are even better than in the arcade version. And Sonic Adventure, with its light-speed gameplay, is sure to wow even the most jaded gamer. It's amazing that such a small machine (it's about the size of your mouse pad) can deliver such incredible performance. Chalk it up to superior engineering. Dreamcast's only downside is that it comes with only one controller and a demo disc. In order to truly take advantage of Dreamcast's capabilities, we recommend outfitting the controller with a Jump Pack and a Visual Memory Unit. Getting one or more extra controllers is also a good idea, because some of the best Dreamcast games support up to four players at once.
Why it's so cool:

• Ultramodern components: Custom-made video, audio, and processor technology blows away the Nintendo 64 and PlayStation and puts Dreamcast in the same league as PS2 and XBox.
  • Integrated modem: In another video-game first, Dreamcast comes with a 56K modem. Use your regular Internet service provider and the separately sold keyboard to access e-mail, shopping, and the World Wide Web. Not only can you upload high scores, participate in chat discussions, and download updates and enhancements for your games, but, through a membership to the SegaNet Internet service provider, you can play Quake III Arena, NFL 2K1, and other games against Dreamcast owners over the Internet.
  • The Visual Memory Unit (VMU): More than just a memory card, the VMU is a miniature portable game system that fits inside a controller--so its LCD screen is easily seen by you but hidden from your opponent.
  • All-in-one entertainment: It plays games. It plays audio CDs. It connects to the Internet and lets you browse the Web or e-mail friends. Our note to the cost-conscious: If you have a Dreamcast system, you just don't need a separate CD player or a separate computer. Dreamcast does it all, and does it well.

I've been leaning towards buying a new PS3 but this is super tempting, too. I could really use another run-through of Shenmue I and II ... not to mention the Crazy Taxi I bought off of eBay before I realized that my console doesn't work anymore :(

does anyone know if the box this comes in is brand new or looks like someones been playing soccer with it? this is tempting, and even better if it looks like it came straight out of the factory.

How hard is it to find games for these? I know these had terrible copy protection and you could burn games to uh ... cds or dvds? Are games easy to find ... certain places ... or would I really have to hunt around after buying a dreamcast? (I'm assuming this sort of question is ok given the status of the Dreamcast as a dead system)

i've heard both good & bad things about these new batches of dreamcasts that have become available in the past several months... some have been okay, and some i've heard have looked pretty dirty/beaten up... bad enough to return for a refund...

Wow, $90 is a lot, especially when ThinkGeek.com was selling them before Christmas for $15. I picked up my Dreamcast used for $15 a few years ago. It is a great system with tons of great games. Get it if you absolutely must have a new Dreamcast, but be aware these are probably the cheap, later in life, "Made in China" Dreamcasts as opposed to the earlier, "Made in Japan" ones.

[quote name='etcrane']How hard is it to find games for these? I know these had terrible copy protection and you could burn games to uh ... cds or dvds? Are games easy to find ... certain places ... or would I really have to hunt around after buying a dreamcast? (I'm assuming this sort of question is ok given the status of the Dreamcast as a dead system)[/QUOTE]

I havent seen places sell them in years. Lol seriously, havent they stopped in your area? Ps1 , N64; those have been dead for years in my area in terms of used games at retail stores. Online? Yeah, you can find anything online.

But dude, you hit the nail on the coffin...Blank...cds...
It takes each game 5 minutes to download...2 minutes to burn...Just trust me ;p

And Dreamcast has some of the worst hardware I've experienced as a gamer. We've been through a few of them. They just die, or mess up. We're so picky with our consoles,too. Our collections don't have a speck of dust on em. Out of the 20ish consoles we have, only our Dreamcast is the one that's no longer part of our collection. Best of luck to those of you that purchase, though; the Dreamcast is just not something you can buy once and depend on having for life.

I've always wanted to re-buy a Dreamcast, but I know it would be a waste of money. I already have too large of a backlog on the current gen systems, to justify another system purchase.

[quote name='McNutsack']I havent seen places sell them in years. Lol seriously, havent they stopped in your area? Ps1 , N64; those have been dead for years in my area in terms of used games at retail stores. Online? Yeah, you can find anything online.

And Dreamcast has some of the worst hardware I've experienced as a gamer. We've been through a few of them. They just die, or mess up. We're so picky with our consoles,too. Our collections don't have a speck of dust on em. Out of the 20ish consoles we have, only our Dreamcast is the one that's no longer part of our collection. Best of luck to those of you that purchase, though; the Dreamcast is just not something you can buy once and depend on having for life.[/QUOTE]

Backup CD-Rs are not GD-ROMs, so they are very hard on the Dreamcast's laser, which will shorten its life. Backup CD-Rs put the information in backwards order from a GD-ROM, so the laser has to work harder to reach the necessary files when it reads the disc. A Dreamcast is not a hard system to repair.

[quote name='McNutsack']I havent seen places sell them in years. Lol seriously, havent they stopped in your area? Ps1 , N64; those have been dead for years in my area in terms of used games at retail stores. Online? Yeah, you can find anything online.

And Dreamcast has some of the worst hardware I've experienced as a gamer. We've been through a few of them. They just die, or mess up. We're so picky with our consoles,too. Our collections don't have a speck of dust on em. Out of the 20ish consoles we have, only our Dreamcast is the one that's no longer part of our collection. Best of luck to those of you that purchase, though; the Dreamcast is just not something you can buy once and depend on having for life.[/QUOTE]

I have three, two of which have had heavy use, and they all work great! :bouncy:

Wasn't there talk about Dreamcast games being offered on one of the big 3 modern gen consoles? I could swear Sony was in talks to get Sega to start allowing Dreamcast ports as downloads ... anyone remember this? If that's the case, there isn't much reason to drop $90 if you own a PS3 right?

The GD-ROM drive is really picky. Mine will work with a backup of skies of arcadia but won't work with an original of sonic adventure 2.

$89? I sold one of my Dreamcast not too long ago for around $30 shipped, and I still have one here that sits here and collects dust. (I still need to buy a controller which I haven't got around to yet)

I need a new one, the lid on mine rises up slightly causing the game disc to stop spinning, but I wish it were cheaper :(

[quote name='etcrane']Wasn't there talk about Dreamcast games being offered on one of the big 3 modern gen consoles? I could swear Sony was in talks to get Sega to start allowing Dreamcast ports as downloads ... anyone remember this? If that's the case, there isn't much reason to drop $90 if you own a PS3 right?[/QUOTE]

yes, it's rumored that dreamcast games will come to PSN someday.

it's also been rumored ps2 games is a remote possibility.

but hey, as soon as US PSN starts getting PS1 classic support the way Japan's PSN does i might actually believe it.

If anyone plans on buying a Sega Dreamcast and play games on it, DON'T SET THE DATE PAST 2004 AND DON'T USE FIRST OR THIRD PARTY MEMORY CARDS. cause if you do, the controller ports will blow out. I've tested this on 4 Dreamcast systems

[quote name='tiveally']If anyone plans on buying a Sega Dreamcast and play games on it, DON'T SET THE DATE PAST 2004 AND DON'T USE FIRST OR THIRD PARTY MEMORY CARDS. cause if you do, the controller ports will blow out. I've tested this on 4 Dreamcast systems[/QUOTE]

lol? :roll:

[quote name='etcrane']Wasn't there talk about Dreamcast games being offered on one of the big 3 modern gen consoles? I could swear Sony was in talks to get Sega to start allowing Dreamcast ports as downloads ... anyone remember this? If that's the case, there isn't much reason to drop $90 if you own a PS3 right?[/QUOTE]
The fact is, many of the best Dreamcast games are already available elsewhere. Soul Calibur as an XBLA download, Space Channel 5 on PS2, Power Stone on the PSP, etc. Not dissing the Dreamcast, it's still an awesome system and I love mine, just something to consider.

Would be cool if they had network adapters available for a reasonable price. I still have my original DC and wouldn't mind setting up the original PSO to play on one of those private servers.

[quote name='etcrane']As some of the reviews say ... wait for Playstation 2 ;)[/QUOTE]

LOL.

that was pretty good. this is a pretty neat find though. I found a sega sports edition black dreamcast (no cables, no controller) for $1 at a garage sale with some random games for $1 each as well (no cases -.-). I picked it up, got a power cable, s-video cable, and controller off ebay and it works fine as far as I can tell. But I still think it would be pretty cool to have a brand new dreamcast!

thanks op!

I would be very cautious about ordering one of these. I ordered one from Amazon last year for $79 and it seemed refurbished as opposed to new. The box was not sealed, the Dreamcast had some very light scratches on the surface. Also the controller had a blue swirl instead of the normal gray. I believe blue was used on the European Dreamcast controllers. Everything else was sealed in bags and seemed new which lead me to wonder if it was a Sega refurbished unit. I was pretty dissapointed, if I wanted a used Dreamcast I could have found one a whole lot cheaper than $79.

[quote name='tiveally']If anyone plans on buying a Sega Dreamcast and play games on it, DON'T SET THE DATE PAST 2004 AND DON'T USE FIRST OR THIRD PARTY MEMORY CARDS. cause if you do, the controller ports will blow out. I've tested this on 4 Dreamcast systems[/QUOTE]

I've never heard that - really?

That is odd.. I did not hear of such a thing and set the date to 2009 when I tried it again last year with no problems. I did not use a 3rd party memory card though.

[quote name='mitnosi']I need a new one, the lid on mine rises up slightly causing the game disc to stop spinning, but I wish it were cheaper :([/QUOTE]

Just put some tape over when you're playing a game.

what a waste of money. a used one is 20$. whats the point in buying a decade old DEAD console with barely a handful of games worth playing (ALL OF WHICH were rereleased on other consoles in better,updated versions.)

[quote name='postulio']what a waste of money. a used one is 20$. whats the point in buying a decade old DEAD console with barely a handful of games worth playing (ALL OF WHICH were rereleased on other consoles in better,updated versions.)[/QUOTE]

I would almost buy this JUST so I could play Jet Grind Radio and Gundam Side Story again, it would definitely be worth the $90 if my games weren't somewhere in my parent's attic 1000 miles from here. :(

[quote name='comaknight']Sega needs to put a best of Saturn/Dreamcast collection out for PS3 & 360.[/QUOTE]

just like sonic's ultimate genesis collection!

I have had my dreamcast since day 1 0 problems

I have had 4 360s, 5 RRODS and 3 E74 errors since launch

go figure :bomb:

[quote name='styl3s']I have had my dreamcast since day 1 0 problems

I have had 4 360s, 5 RRODS and 3 E74 errors since launch

go figure :bomb:[/QUOTE]

I have a day one dreamcast as well Zero problems :joystick:

I has a day one ps2 it died. :-({|=

I have had one 360 redring :hot:

oh and my original NES is R.I.P :cry:

My first one got fried through the phone line during a lightning storm. Picked up a replacement one for $20 from a local used game store and ended up giving it to a friend who didn't have any game system in his house.

-Edit-
Oh damn, I haven't fed my vmu pet in 10 years! Hope he/she is alright...

[quote name='bvharris']Because the Dreamcast is awesome![/QUOTE]

Everytime I see one of these at the goodwill, I want to give it a good home. They're just too awesome!

[quote name='lilman']
-Edit-
Oh damn, I haven't fed my vmu pet in 10 years! Hope he/she is alright...[/QUOTE]

Likewise I haven't talked to my Seaman in about the same amount of time. I hope he doesn't hate me...

bread's done
Back