[DEAD] GOG.com Weekend Promo: EA’s Most Famous Classic Series, Ultima & Wing Cmdr

Bosamba

CAGiversary!
Weekend Promo: EA’s Most Famous Classic Series
DEAD
See Promo details for a chance to win a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joystick.

Full set for $26.91

ULTIMA® UNDERWORLD 1+2 $2.99

ULTIMA™ 1+2+3 $2.99

ULTIMA™ 4+5+6 $2.99

ULTIMA™ 7 THE COMPLETE EDITION $2.99

ULTIMA™ 8 GOLD EDITION $2.99

WING COMMANDER ®: PRIVATEER ™ $2.99

WING COMMANDER™ 1+2 $2.99

WING COMMANDER™ 3 HEART OF THE TIGER™ $2.99

WING COMMANDER™ 4: THE PRICE OF FREEDOM $2.99

Promo Details:
Weekend Promo: EA’s Most Famous Classic Series

1 Weekend Promo, 2 fantastic franchises, 14 classic games, $26.91 for the complete collection, 100s of hours of unforgettable gaming

Ground-breaking, redefining, legendary--however you want to name these two franchises, there aren’t many other series with a comparable fanbase and affection from gamers of all ages. This weekend, all games from Wing Commander and Ultima series available on GOG.com are discounted by 50%. You have the chance to buy Wing Commander 4, or Ultima VII: the Complete Edition for only $2.99 until Monday, June 4 11:59 PM EDT.

Ultima is a series of fantasy RPGs created by Richard Garriott (a.k.a. Lord British more) than 30 years ago. The main story of Ultima universe, which takes place in the worlds of Sosaria and, later, Britannia, follows the unnamed protagonist (known only as the Stranger or later as the Avatar, an incarnation of virtue) through three “Ages”: The Age of Darkness (Ultima I-III), The Age of Enlightenment (Ultima IV-VI), and The Age of Armageddon (Ultima VII-IX). It’s one of the most influential RPG series, recognized for open-ended gameplay, in-depth morality system exploring mature themes like racism and xenophobia, and a rich and detailed world. Whether you want to try the original trilogy, visit thousands of colorful places and characters in Ultima 4+5+6, play through Ultima VII: The Complete Edition--arguably the best in series, find your way back home in Ultima VIII: Gold Edition or complete Ultima Underworld 1 and 2, the first first-person RPGs with true 3D environments, all these titles are available for only $2.99 this weekend on GOG.com.

Wing Commander is a series of 3D space combat simulators, described by the games’ creator Chris Roberts as "World War II in space.” In this series, you follow pilots of the Terran Confederation in their fight against the aggressive feline Kilrathi. Introduce yourself to the epic military space conflict in Wing Commander 1+2, play as Col. Christopher "Maverick" Blair (starred by Mark Hamill) and watch amazing FMV cut-scenes in Wing Commander 3: Heart of the Tiger, enjoy fast, action-packed, and varied space combat in the most expensive video game of its era Wing Commander IV: The Price of Freedom, or explore a vast universe in an open-ended spin-off to the original series Wing Commander: Privateer.

In addition to that, because the Wing Commander series plays so much better with a joystick, we’ve approached the guys from Logitech and they were kind enough to offer a few awesome Logitech Extreme™ 3D Pro joysticks to our users. Leave a comment below for a chance to win 1 of 3 logitech joysticks. You can also enter a similar joystick-winning contests on Facebook, Twitter, and Google+.

Become the Ultimate Commander (THE ULTIMMANDER!) and buy the complete collection of EA’s Most Famous Classic Series for only $26.91, this weekend on GOG.com.

Last edited by a moderator:
Never played Ultima, but picked up 7 based on Mooby's comments.

Was also interested in Wing Commander but have no joystick (although I do have a 360 gamepad, but no idea if that is good enough or even works).

[quote name='mkaliaz']Never played Ultima, but picked up 7 based on Mooby's comments.

Was also interested in Wing Commander but have no joystick (although I do have a 360 gamepad, but no idea if that is good enough or even works).[/QUOTE]

Leave a comment here for a chance to win a joystick. Check out the promo details for more information.

I remember playing Wing Commander 3 & 4 back in the days. I'm totally getting it again. I remember the game came in some big film reel case, and Ginger Lynn... :booty::drool:

Awesome Thanks OP. Had a few of the other Wing Commanders, but picked up Wing Commander IV, Ultima 7 Complete and Ultima Underworld 1/2. All excellent games, and for under $8 total.

[quote name='Mooby']If people buy nothing else from this deal get Ultima 7 Complete -- that's an insane value for $3.[/QUOTE]

Seconded. It's honestly my favorite game ever bar none. Not sure what todays gamers would make of it though. It's all about exploration and not any sort of complex combat.

Anyone know if the GOG version works well with Exult?

[quote name='TripJack']cool i sure hope the guys at origin enjoy my money

>_>[/QUOTE]

Considering that Origin (the company, not the crappy client EA is trying to force on everyone) has been gone for years I don't think any of those people will see any of the money for sales of these games currently. I imagine GOG will get their cut and then the rest goes to EA.

[quote name='mkaliaz']Never played Ultima, but picked up 7 based on Mooby's comments.

Was also interested in Wing Commander but have no joystick (although I do have a 360 gamepad, but no idea if that is good enough or even works).[/QUOTE]

For what it's worth I played WC 1 and 2 with M+K back in the day without any problems. Only downside on Ultima 7 is the combat which is fairly haphazard and a step back from the turn based combat of prior Ultimas. Ultima 6 is also terrific but once you go back to 5 and earlier some people might be put off by the dated graphics/interface, etc. The Complete edition of 7 is such a good value because U7 Serpent Isle is basically a separate game. It uses the same engine and art assets but it's on an entirely new continent and has its own fully fleshed out storyline.

I can't get behind Ultima 8 -- the series basically died after 7. U8 is a hideous amalgam of platforming and awkward game mechanics. It just doesn't feel/play like an Ultima game at all.

Another recommendation for Ultima 7. Six is also really well done as well. The Wing Commander games are also worth picking up.

Ultima 8 is in my opinion, the worst of the series. Even IX was better with all it's bugs. That said if you are a die hard Ultima fan, or just curious, it's at least an interesting look at baffling game design decisions.

Wing Commander IV is mine again. Although I probably have it on DVD in a box somewhere along with a ton of other DOS games from the 80s and 90s, this is just too good a deal to pass up. Already had the other Wing Commander games from pior sales.

My favorite space sim series of all time, narrowly beating out the X-wing series. Too bad they couldn't make a decent movie.

[quote name='bdb2m']
Ultima 8 is in my opinion, the worst of the series. Even IX was better with all it's bugs. That said if you are a die hard Ultima fan, or just curious, it's at least an interesting look at baffling game design decisions.[/QUOTE]

It's probably worth noting that 8 is the first Ultima completely produced start to finish post EA buyout, and it shows.

It was so unpopular that even though the expansion was finished, it never got released and then the source code was 'lost'. The game also prompted Richard Garriott to write a letter to the fans more or less apologizing for it along with a patch that fixed some of the more obnoxious features like the platforms moving up and down.

This was the early days of the internet so it didn't get as much coverage as say the ME3 nerdrage but it definitely pissed off a lot of the long time fans.

All that said if you completely block out of your mind that it was supposed to be an Ultima, 8 is just okay. By no means a classic, but maybe worth playing once if you are bored and can get it cheap enough. It's a mediocre game on its own but a horrible Ultima game.

For those who make a big deal about definitive versions, check out this site's listings for each game. Not incredibly detailed, but a pretty good guideline.

http://thecrankyhermit.wikispaces.com/Ultimate+OCD+Editions

That said, I'm definitely gonna grab Ultima 7 and Wing Commander 4. Both are arguably the highlights of their respective series, and $3 for the definitive versions is a steal, especially for WC4 DVD version which is very valuable today. I'm considering Ultima Underworld as well.

[quote name='Motoki']Considering that Origin (the company, not the crappy client EA is trying to force on everyone) has been gone for years I don't think any of those people will see any of the money for sales of these games currently. I imagine GOG will get their cut and then the rest goes to EA.[/QUOTE]
i know bro i was being facetious

gog is a fucking scam

[quote name='TripJack']i know bro i was being facetious

gog is a fucking scam[/QUOTE]

Care to elaborate on why you believe GOG is a scam? Looks to me like they're offering old games that are updated to be compatible with current operating systems for reasonable prices. I'm not seeing much of a scam.

On topic, definitely in for probably most of these. About time Wing Commander finally goes on sale. :)

Edit: Nevermind, looking at your post history you're obviously just a troll. Not even a very good one. Need to work on being a little more subtle.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='TripJack']i know bro i was being facetious

gog is a fucking scam[/QUOTE]

..unbelievable

[quote name='Josh1billion']I've long wanted to get into the Ultima series, but that perspective makes me cringe.[/QUOTE]

Me too man, but I decided to take the plunge.

I remember Ultima Underworld 1 & 2 and they were the bomb at the time. Better than Eye of the Beholder IMO, but it was close. IMO, UU1 set the tone for a new genre of RPG gaming. Both for $3 is a steal, even today.

GOG has once again taken my money this week. Back in the day when the Wing Commander games would come out I would never have a strong enough comp to play the current release. Looking forward to playing these games after hearing so many good things about them.

So where should I start with the Wing Commander games? The bundle of 1 + 2? It kind of seems like story plays a pretty significant part in the series, so would it be worth it to get all 1-4?

Must resist buying. Maybe just Privateer. No! I have too many games to play. But what a great game it was and I never finished it as my save file got corrupted.

I remember buying Wing Commander at the Electronics Boutique in Woodbridge, NJ when it came out (bak when it was still the real store) with a big Wico joystick with two buttons. God I loved that joystick and that game. Years later my sister bought me another copy to play but it wasn't optimized for modern computers and the lasers would shoot 1000 times a second. I was blowing up capital ships just kamikazeing on them and pulling up at the last moment.

Maybe I'll get Ultima 7. Is it turn based? Easy to control? I have the most basis of laptops now.

[quote name='Josh1billion']I've long wanted to get into the Ultima series, but that perspective makes me cringe.[/QUOTE]

You get used to it and having character portraits helps a lot, I feel. Years ago this was the most common perspective for a lot of games. I very much used to prefer it and disliked first person or over the shoulder 3rd person at the time. How things can change.

[quote name='AoA']
Maybe I'll get Ultima 7. Is it turn based? Easy to control? I have the most basis of laptops now.[/QUOTE]

It's real time but the combat happens automatically. You don't really have to do much, just pick which weapons and armor your character is outfitted with and then maybe set how you ant the AI for your companions to react. I will say though that the combo is not really the focus of the game, it's more about exploration, running around the world and speaking to all the unique and interesting people in it, taking quests for them, sometimes figuring out puzzles etc. If you want exciting combat than this is probably not the game for you.

As for running on a basic laptop it should be fine since this was meant for early 90s PCs. I wouldn't want to use a trackpad on it though and would say you'd probably want to plug in a real mouse, but then again I have never been a fan of trackpads myself so that might be my bias.

Glad I remembered this was going on; got an email notification a couple days ago and found this thread here. I was just going to grab one of the Wing Commander games since I've heard good about them, but I talked myself into buying Ultima VII and Underworld somehow.

Sounds like Underworld is a good game, and I haven't come across many Doom/Wolfenstein style games that are RPGs. Eat your heart out, Skyrim; right?

Privateer is my favorite game of all time, and this is a good deal for a retro, but if you want to play a more updated version, check out Privateer Gemini Gold on sourceforge.

[quote name='keithp']Also definitely check out Martian Dreams, another Worlds of Ultima adventure that's free.[/QUOTE]

Definitely check out Martian Dreams. What other RPGs feature Nichola Tesla and Sigmund Freud?

Are Worlds of really abandonware? I'm shocked that EA would not try to squeeze a few more pennies out of them via GOG.

I have many fond memories of trying to run wing commander 4 on a sub-spec pc many years ago only to have combat sequences look more like screenshots that actual gameplay.

bread's done
Back