*DEAD* Grindhouse - $13.99 (October 5)

Tried to find the details on this, found this:

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=4883

An early announcement to retailers indicates that, confirming earlier rumors, Vivendi Visual Entertainment is set to release the Weinstein Company production Grindhouse on a Special Edition Blu-ray on October 5 (perfect for a Halloween viewing party with friends). No release details are available at this moment, other than it will be a two-disc edition and that list price has been set at a very affordable $19.97.

Been wanting just Grindhouse because Deathproof was a flaming piece of shit, but they never released a version of Grindhouse with the fake trailers.

But, if this BR has both movies AND the trailers, I'll bite.

[quote name='A Happy Panda']Been wanting just Grindhouse because Deathproof was a flaming piece of shit, but they never released a version of Grindhouse with the fake trailers.

But, if this BR has both movies AND the trailers, I'll bite.[/QUOTE]That's a fact that would be nice to know about the fake trailers.

Price is certainly right for both movies.

I placed the order for now to lock down the price.
When info comes in, and it doesn't look all that great I'll cancel it.
Since I haven't bought any of these in anticipation for this edition, I can't see myself canceling this.

Now for TWBA…

Glad I didn't buy them separately; I've looked for both for cheap, but never found them at a price I was willing to pay, until now that is...

[quote name='A Happy Panda']Been wanting just Grindhouse because Deathproof was a flaming piece of shit, but they never released a version of Grindhouse with the fake trailers.

But, if this BR has both movies AND the trailers, I'll bite.[/QUOTE]

Deathproof is flaming piece of poo? It was certainly the better movie of the two.

A few weeks ago, Edgar Wright wrote a Twitter post that he was doing the commentary for "Don't". I'm betting this is the release that should have been out all along.

Since the MSRP is only $20, I'm sure there will be another deal to be found between now and, say, Halloween. If there was something $11 I wanted to order from Amazon but not receive until October, maybe I'd bite.

Also, Death Proof is terrific.

it's going to have the trailers...

and deathproof gets better every time i watch it.

thanks for the heads up, ordered it.

[quote name='lombarvm']Deathproof is flaming piece of poo? It was certainly the better movie of the two.[/QUOTE]

It's by far Tarantino's worst movie. Even the dialogue is awful.

Tempting. Also, Death Proof is the first movie in a long time that I almost walked out on. It was seriously pretty God awful.

That said, Inglourious Basterds is the best film I've seen in years....

[quote name='A Happy Panda']It's by far Tarantino's worst movie. Even the dialogue is awful.[/QUOTE]

The first half of Death Proof is actually my favorite part of Grindhouse (especially after they added the lap dance scene for the home release).

The girls in the second half are so annoying that the awesome car chase couldn't even save it. Also, I really have a hard time suspending disbelief during the car chase. Why didn't they just stop the fucking car so Zoe could get off the hood?

[quote name='Seasick Pirate']I placed the order for now to lock down the price.
When info comes in, and it doesn't look all that great I'll cancel it.
Since I haven't bought any of these in anticipation for this edition, I can't see myself canceling this.

Now for TWBA…[/QUOTE]

That was pretty sound logic - you convinced me! I'm in.

Nice, thanks OP!

As one film, I love Grindhouse; I have the sweet Japanese DVD set from a few years back and for $13.99, I'll gladly pick this up on Blu-ray. I'm interested to see what extras will be on this set, as a few days ago, Edgar Wright tweeted that he was doing commentary for "Don't."

Planet Terror trades into Amazon at $3.50 and Death Proof trades in at $3.75, in case anyone was wondering.

At least they do, effective the time of this post.

i'm surprised anyone bought these on Blu when the full double feature was said to be in the works.

that said, those separate blu rays and dvds of the films are 30 mins longer each film.

I have both on regular DVD, which I like, because it looks sort of shitty like they are supposed to anyway.

[quote name='DestroVega']i'm surprised anyone bought these on Blu when the full double feature was said to be in the works.

that said, those separate blu rays and dvds of the films are 30 mins longer each film.

I have both on regular DVD, which I like, because it looks sort of shitty like they are supposed to anyway.[/QUOTE]Wait, that doesn't make sense.

Are you saying that the two separately released titles are each 30 minutes longer than the combined film? There's an hour of extra content in the two separate releases than the combined film?

Thanks, great price. Pre-ordered for sure, can always cancel if it ends up missing the trailers etc. But I suspect it will be the two movies with trailers as shown in theaters. Otherwise not much point in a release named Grindhouse.

[quote name='lombarvm']Deathproof is flaming piece of poo? It was certainly the better movie of the two.[/QUOTE]

I thought Deathproof was just too long. I like Planet Terror myself...

i am shocked people didnt like dreathproof. im guessing its people without an attention span greater than a 8year old's.

whatever.

i prefer the extended cuts of the 2 films and dont want to pay 15$ for a couple of trailers.

Nice. I'm not sure it's worth updating my DVDs though. The only thing I'd like is the fake trailers, but really the only one I remember is Machete, which is no longer fake and coming out on September 3rd...

[quote name='shrike4242']Wait, that doesn't make sense.

Are you saying that the two separately released titles are each 30 minutes longer than the combined film? There's an hour of extra content in the two separate releases than the combined film?[/QUOTE]

er, sorta. each film lost around 30 minutes each (actually i think its more) when they combined it into the grindhouse tag so that people would be able to watch it in theaters. its hard to watch 2 full movies back to back, especially since theyre so different.

Finally.

I didn't know the movies were shortened for the original "double feature" release, if the above post is correct. I liked them both, but I've only seen it during the initial run in theaters. If each one were thirty minutes longer and viewed separately, I probably wouldn't like 'em.

Makes me wish I had a blu-ray player. I enjoyed Deathproof, but I'm also a mark for Kurt Russell

[quote name='KaneRobot']Finally.

I didn't know the movies were shortened for the original "double feature" release, if the above post is correct. I liked them both, but I've only seen it during the initial run in theaters. If each one were thirty minutes longer and viewed separately, I probably wouldn't like 'em.[/QUOTE]

They weren't shortened for the double feature Grindhouse release. They added stuff back in (like the strip scene reel that was missing from Death Proof) for the home release.

As is, I'm glad we are finally getting the theatrical release. I can finally delete the Starz showing I have on my DVR.

[quote name='shrike4242']Wait, that doesn't make sense.

Are you saying that the two separately released titles are each 30 minutes longer than the combined film? There's an hour of extra content in the two separate releases than the combined film?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, what everyone else saying is what happened.

Both movies in theaters were around 90 minutes, I think Planet Terror might even have been a bit shorter.

The standalone DVD and BD releases are longer, Planet Terror is 105 mins, Death Proof is 113.

You get the sex scene in Planet Terror (no nudity still, sucks, she looks blazing in the movie) and the strip scene in Death Proof added back in, no "Missing Reel" messages. But obviously there is much more than just those scenes put back into them.

I preordered but I'm hesitant to keep it until finding out if this is the real director's cut. With both movies uncut and all the trailers. The latter is a given, but the former is still in question since Tarantino hadn't said he was actually working on this (just that it was planned). Not another fiasco like where Tarantino said he'd eventually get The Whole Bloody Affair finished while the studios went ahead and just released the movies standalone to make a quick buck.

It should be version with trailers in it because Edgar Wright commented on his Twitter recently that he did a commentary for his "Don't!" trailer.

[quote name='crunchb3rry']I preordered but I'm hesitant to keep it until finding out if this is the real director's cut. With both movies uncut and all the trailers. The latter is a given, but the former is still in question since Tarantino hadn't said he was actually working on this (just that it was planned). Not another fiasco like where Tarantino said he'd eventually get The Whole Bloody Affair finished while the studios went ahead and just released the movies standalone to make a quick buck.[/QUOTE]

Actually, the Kill Bill Blu-Rays were released because Miramax owns the rights to Vol 1 & 2

Kill Bill: The Whole Bloody Affair is a Weinstein project, they own the rights to it :)

In for uno.

I actually enjoyed Deathproof. It's definitely not Tarantino's best film, but it has grown on me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have both movies on standard DVD and want to upgrade to Blu, but I prefer the extended cuts too and don't want "missing reels" popping up again like in the theater. But I have to ask, am I missing something here? There are fake trailers on both of these DVDs, they split them up and put a few on each one. Everyone keeps asking for them but they're already there in the bonus features. I watch a couple of them first everytime I pop one of these movies on. Are there more that didn't make it that I forgot about? I know the Werewolf Women of the SS, Machete, Thanksgiving(or whatever the Eli Roth one was called, I forget) are all on the regular DVDs already.

[quote name='postulio']i am shocked people didnt like dreathproof. im guessing its people without an attention span greater than a 8year old's.

whatever.

i prefer the extended cuts of the 2 films and dont want to pay 15$ for a couple of trailers.[/QUOTE]

Look at me. I can insult people's intelligence on the internet. I'm unique.

Deathproof was an hour and a half of a bunch of dumb bitches talking about the most mundane things in the most uninteresting ways possible.

Tarantino's dialogue almost always peaks the viewer's interests and catches their intrigue and is entertaining. Deathproof, IMO, had none of that. Tarantino is one of my favorite directors, and Inglorious Bastards and Kill Bill Vol. 1 and Vol. 2 are among my favorite movies of all-time. But Deathproof really just stunk.

The eventual payoff was completely NOT worth all of the BS that preceded it and really was a huge letdown.

ANNNYYWAAAYS. Don't want to get more derailed from the topic. I'll wait for confirmation of inclusion of the fake trailers and director's cut versions.

The deal is dead. Price is now up to $27.99

Congrats to everybody that got in on time :)

[quote name='mrosnwo']Have both movies on standard DVD and want to upgrade to Blu, but I prefer the extended cuts too and don't want "missing reels" popping up again like in the theater. But I have to ask, am I missing something here? There are fake trailers on both of these DVDs, they split them up and put a few on each one. Everyone keeps asking for them but they're already there in the bonus features. I watch a couple of them first everytime I pop one of these movies on. Are there more that didn't make it that I forgot about? I know the Werewolf Women of the SS, Machete, Thanksgiving(or whatever the Eli Roth one was called, I forget) are all on the regular DVDs already.[/QUOTE]

Grindhouse is an experience. The damaged image, missing reels, fake trailers, etc are all apart of it's charm.

There is a massive difference between watching the trailers in the bonus features and experiencing them between (or in the case of Machete before) Planet Terror and Death Proof.

[quote name='mrosnwo']Have both movies on standard DVD and want to upgrade to Blu, but I prefer the extended cuts too and don't want "missing reels" popping up again like in the theater. But I have to ask, am I missing something here? There are fake trailers on both of these DVDs, they split them up and put a few on each one. Everyone keeps asking for them but they're already there in the bonus features. I watch a couple of them first everytime I pop one of these movies on. Are there more that didn't make it that I forgot about? I know the Werewolf Women of the SS, Machete, Thanksgiving(or whatever the Eli Roth one was called, I forget) are all on the regular DVDs already.[/QUOTE]

Some of us just want to experience it the same as when it was in theaters. As a double feature with the trailers, missing reels etc. in place as that's part of the charm. Without that "grindhouse" experience/charm, you're just left with two B movies IMO.

bread's done
Back