Dead Island - 4 player Zombie Island = sun, fun, and guts. *OUT NOW*

Same here about third person. This reminds me too much of Fallout and I hated the gameplay because I dont like first person melee.

And whats up with one of those gripes..."Zombies and players are forced to walk around small items like chairs instead of just stumbling through them". How lazy is that to not even make the chairs or small items push out of your way?

[quote name='wrencrest']Same here about third person. This reminds me too much of Fallout and I hated the gameplay because I dont like first person melee.

And whats up with one of those gripes..."Zombies and players are forced to walk around small items like chairs instead of just stumbling through them". How lazy is that to not even make the chairs or small items push out of your way?[/QUOTE]

that definelty annoys me especially in running situations where something stops you so you have to make the necessary adjustments to get around an object you should be able to jump over or run through.

that was always one of the worst parts of re series.

[quote name='8bitArtist']walk through of the first few quests. not really spoiler worthy. if youre on the fence about this game, this might help you make your decision.[/QUOTE]
Ha, the first five minutes I watched was him just going room to room opening suitcases and cabinets. Booooooooooooring. Reminds me of what I hated about Fallout, since I can't resist not opening everything. When is the review embargo up on this? Really getting tired of them having to wait until the day it is out so I can't plan a pre-order or not.

the first review was from some Italian playstation magazine or something and gave it an 8.5. if you know italian you can translate it for us.

I'll be picking this up Tuesday. If anyone else is getting it for PS3 and looking for someone to play multiplayer with, add me. PSN = TheWolf666

[quote name='nbballard']joystiq review wasn't very flattering. Has anyone else officially reviewed it yet?[/QUOTE]

Yes, lots of places. IGN gave it a 8/10 and said it's worse on the PS3 than 360. Eurogamer gave it a 6/10 and said it's a deeply flawed, low budget game with interesting ideas. Game Informer gave it an 8.5.

With reviews all over the place, I'm avoiding it. I was expecting this since it's been so overhyped. I'm seeing more positive than negative, but I'm still hesitant. I find it very suspicious that most of the big name sites are giving it high marks, but most of the not-as-popular sites have been panning it. It seems like it should be high across the board if it's a truly good game.

[quote name='Scorch']Yes, lots of places. IGN gave it a 8/10 and said it's worse on the PS3 than 360. Eurogamer gave it a 6/10 and said it's a deeply flawed, low budget game with interesting ideas. Game Informer gave it an 8.5.

With reviews all over the place, I'm avoiding it. I was expecting this since it's been so overhyped. I'm seeing more positive than negative, but I'm still hesitant. I find it very suspicious that most of the big name sites are giving it high marks, but most of the not-as-popular sites have been panning it. It seems like it should be high across the board if it's a truly good game.[/QUOTE]

When I see that it usually means that you want to love, but can't. It's that undefinable edge that separates good games from must-plays.

People that say the game sucks don't buy it then

And also joystiq gave Madden a 9/10 and it sucked bad

[quote name='8bitArtist']the joystiq review bitched about everything he hated and nothing he liked. if you just read the review and didnt see his score, you would think it got a 1 or a 2 star score.[/QUOTE]

Yep. If I remember right, the only positive thing he could say was the look of the game and the co-op. And those two things do not come out to 3/5 stars. So...yeah?

It's on it's way from Gamefly, so unless it really impresses me, it's not getting a purchase.

I find it very suspicious that most of the big name sites are giving it high marks, but most of the not-as-popular sites have been panning it. It seems like it should be high across the board if it's a truly good game.
Personally I see it the other way around: I tend to be suspicious of the smaller sites that give good reviews to games that are panned on larger sites. I've been suckered in one too many times by the little guy trying to appeal to your heart rather than your head.... "It's so bad it's good!" No destructoid, it was so bad it was bad.

Meh, I bought it.

From the reviews I read and watched, most of them say it's an unpolished buggy mess, but you actually fear being eaten by zombies and it really makes it seem like survival not just "go kill a bunch of zombies in an open world". Plus, it was only $50 at Fry's. That appears to be what most reviews are saying too. All seem to basically say "I should hate this game...but I can't it's just too damn Fun." The Destructoid review has a whole paragraph saying how he SHOULD hate this game, but can't since it's still very fun.

I mean gameplay videos seemed fun, and most reviews are saying it plays nice but the story is crap and and animations are stiff, but gameplay and design seem to pull through.

I really don't like just looking at the numbers and basing it off that, since the reviews have a way better insight. I guess if a glitchy game really pisses you off, this isn't the game for you. I don't mind. I beat Fallout 3 after all.

For some strange reason I got Tony Hawk vibes while watching the 13 min walkthrough video. I was half expecting the zombies to start breaking out some ollies.

Seriously lol, try watching it again, I am not sure what it was, the level up sound, the NPC's, the graphics in general, or just the combination of all of it, it was just all sort of weird.

Also on an unrelated note, jumping in that elevator was just about the stupidest thing I have ever seen a character do in a video game.

I grabbed the game today. If anyone does want to play let me know. I probably won't start it until after Resistance 3 though.

I hated the first chapter. The controls felt really floaty, like old school PC FPS. The character was slow to start moving, then over compensated once you wanted to stop.

After I started getting missions though, and I realized how the game was going to work, it stopped bothering me so much.

Well, I played the game for about 3 hours with a friend last night and only 1 thing really bothered me, and 1 other thing was just annoying.

Thing that bothered me most was that when an enemy is on the ground, I could not for the life of me hit them standing up, I always had to crouch then start swinging again. (Using Analog Fighting for the trophy at the moment)

The thing that was just annoying was that sucked since it seemed like you needed 2 people to beat 1 or 2 of them. "All right I'll strike him, then you go stand behind and strike. Then when he turns to hit you, I strike him." Thugs(zombie type) had a bunch of HP so we did that with it for a good 3-5 minutes.

Edit: And we also never ran into any glitches during our play session. The "guy who wants beer mission" we thought glitched since we kept giving him booze but he didn't say anything or respond when we gave it to him. After giving him enough, like 5 trips back to him, his mission finally finished.

Last edited by a moderator:
If anyone wants to play some coop send me a request on live and we will play. I really hope the coop is better than single player since I am honestly regretting paying $60 for this game.

Anyone having trouble joining a co op game. Ive been trying since last night and no luck. Oh if anyone wants to do some co op just add me.

[quote name='yohsh']Anyone having trouble joining a co op game. Ive been trying since last night and no luck. Oh if anyone wants to do some co op just add me.[/QUOTE]

dumb question but your setting isnt on LAN is it?

the thug zombies can be quite a pain, but they are doable single player. just need the right techniques and/or weapons.

[quote name='HaLLuZiNaTiOnZ']Well, I played the game for about 3 hours with a friend last night and only 1 thing really bothered me, and 1 other thing was just annoying.

Thing that bothered me most was that when an enemy is on the ground, I could not for the life of me hit them standing up, I always had to crouch then start swinging again. (Using Analog Fighting for the trophy at the moment)

The thing that was just annoying was that sucked since it seemed like you needed 2 people to beat 1 or 2 of them. "All right I'll strike him, then you go stand behind and strike. Then when he turns to hit you, I strike him." Thugs(zombie type) had a bunch of HP so we did that with it for a good 3-5 minutes.

Edit: And we also never ran into any glitches during our play session. The "guy who wants beer mission" we thought glitched since we kept giving him booze but he didn't say anything or respond when we gave it to him. After giving him enough, like 5 trips back to him, his mission finally finished.[/QUOTE]

I never had a problem hitting people on the ground. You just have to look down towards them and then your good to go, no crouching needed, atleast for me.

As for the thug, i just hit him, then dodge his swing, hit him, dodge his swing etc etc. Heard that molotovs work pretty well on him, although I haven't tried it yet.

[quote name='8bitArtist']dumb question but your setting isnt on LAN is it?

the thug zombies can be quite a pain, but they are doable single player. just need the right techniques and/or weapons.[/QUOTE]

Yep its set up for PlayStation network not lan. That was a pretty dumb question... :D Must be my nat settings.

For thug zombies it usually easier if you set them on fire or blow em up with deodorant bomb. Throwing sharp objects at them also works very well.

[quote name='yohsh']Yep its set up for PlayStation network not lan. That was a pretty dumb question... :D Must be my nat settings.

For thug zombies it usually easier if you set them on fire or blow em up with deodorant bomb. Throwing sharp objects at them also works very well.[/QUOTE]

I still think that it could be a glitch in the game that needs to be fixed because I have noticed quite a few in it that are quite annoying.

so far, I've just been finding prop tanks and using them like medicine balls to crack skulls if there are a group of zombies, if there is just one, i stomp it.

I just got this game last night and still "learning" but I'm game for co-op any day.

Synical is my PSN.....just msg me for DI since I usually delete any invite from people I don't know.

Overall I feel this game is well worth the buy. Feels a lot like borderlands and fallout with a little bit of farcry 2. I'm having a blast on my co-op playthrough, taking my time to do the side quests and building up xp. It seems to get off to a slow start but it definitely helps build up anticipation for when all the action picks up. I just finished the first few quests on the second map(after you fight the Ram), if anyone is near my progress or needs help feel free to send me an invite.

On another note does anyone know when the Bloodbath arena will be released? Haven't seen much information on it.

[quote name='8bitArtist']if youre prompted to download the 1.01 patch. DONT! itll erase shit[/QUOTE]
Pretty sure that's only for the Steam PC version and that is because what was mistakenly released was the alpha build of the game.

[quote name='robwhois']I never had a problem hitting people on the ground. You just have to look down towards them and then your good to go, no crouching needed, atleast for me.

As for the thug, i just hit him, then dodge his swing, hit him, dodge his swing etc etc. Heard that molotovs work pretty well on him, although I haven't tried it yet.[/QUOTE]

Ya, that tactic works for thugs. I played some more last night, and it worked...but I prefer breaking their arms with blunt weapons since I use Sam B. Then they just try to headbutt you. Also, I love how their arms just swing wildly on their side after being broken.

[quote name='guardian_owl']Pretty sure that's only for the Steam PC version and that is because what was mistakenly released was the alpha build of the game.[/QUOTE]

many people on ps3trophies are saying all stats towards trophies reset. so no, its not just PC

bread's done
Back