Dead Island or Dark Souls?

EDiddy0042

CAGiversary!
Feedback
61 (100%)
With Christmas coming up, I'm trying to pick one game to add to my gift wishlist, and I'm stuck between Dark Souls and Dead Island. I absolutely loved Demon's Souls, challenging difficulty and all, and I still put time into it to this day.

I've heard that Dead Island plays similar to Fallout in terms of it's open world and leveling system, but rather than focusing on combat there is a much higher emphasis on straight up survival (i.e., running from a horde of zombies rather than taking them on), and I'm digging that concept. I'm also wondering whether the "corrupt save" glitch that people were having trouble with has been patched, as I would prefer not to get 20 hours into the game and have to start all over.

Anyone who has had experience with either/both of these games and could give me some input, it would be much appreciated.

Personally, I hated Dead Island. The fighting sucked because your character was so clunky with his movements. All you do is run around on the same island, do mission, kill zombies, then repeat it all over again.

I have never played Dark Zero, but it seems like a decent game.

[quote name='EDiddy0042']With Christmas coming up, I'm trying to pick one game to add to my gift wishlist, and I'm stuck between Dark Souls and Dead Island. I absolutely loved Demon's Souls, challenging difficulty and all, and I still put time into it to this day.

I've heard that Dead Island plays similar to Fallout in terms of it's open world and leveling system, but rather than focusing on combat there is a much higher emphasis on straight up survival (i.e., running from a horde of zombies rather than taking them on), and I'm digging that concept. I'm also wondering whether the "corrupt save" glitch that people were having trouble with has been patched, as I would prefer not to get 20 hours into the game and have to start all over.

Anyone who has had experience with either/both of these games and could give me some input, it would be much appreciated.[/QUOTE]
I have play Dead Island and I have to say it is extremely choppy, it didn't look as realistic as I thought an open world zombie game would be.
On the other hand, I too have played Demon's Souls and purchased my copy of Dark Souls and I do not regret that at all, bigger world and challenging once again, the only flaw right now is the multiplayer system, but I am very sure in the near there will be a patch for that.

Having not played either, I'd say Dark Souls, as more people I know have loved (and are destroying) that game. However, don't forget the Elder Scroll game, which is fantastic.

I also would have to say skyrim, I havent got Dark Souls yet but it is for sure on my radar for when it gets cheaper. Dead Island I just finished and I found it really fun, but make sure you have a friend to play with online because I think that might have made the game way better in my eyes.

If you liked Demon's Souls, Dark Souls' is a MUST HAVE. Every bit as good, better in many places. Jump in while everyone is still figuring out the online/pvp stuff. Lots of people to summon on the early level bosses. And a few fun cheats that will be removed in a patch soon.

Dark Souls is my game of the Year (and generation.) It is such a great game. Very deep and VERY challenging. I'm 70+ hours in and maybe 2/3s of the way through. LOVE IT. I've put a few hours into Skyrim, and I hate to say it, but compared to Dark Souls it feels so boring. Floaty combat, no challenge, level ups are too easy (game seems to level you up for just standing there--make me earn it, Skyrim!)

Dark Souls all the way.

I've played Dead Island and it was overhyped to hell, the best way to put is it's just a simple FPS style game with zombies; their is no plot and the melee focus combat is really bare bones and I couldnt really get into the game; however if you just want to beat the hell out of zombies then i guess that's pretty much all this game has to offer but don't expect to be engrossed in the game

[quote name='cassidyarch'] I've put a few hours into Skyrim, and I hate to say it, but compared to Dark Souls it feels so boring.
[/QUOTE]

I'd say the opposite. Dark Souls feels boring compared to Skyrim. And I LOVE Dark Souls. But the variety of things to do in Skyrim is over the top crazy.

[quote name='krashhole']Personally, I hated Dead Island. The fighting sucked because your character was so clunky with his movements. All you do is run around on the same island, do mission, kill zombies, then repeat it all over again.

I have never played Dark Zero, but it seems like a decent game.[/QUOTE]

I definitely want to play Dark Zero ;) lol. Anyway, Dark Souls is a better title. There's more to do, and you'll feel right at home if you played Demon's Souls. Dead Island is like a candle. Once all of the hype died down from that awesome trailer, nobody even talks about it anymore. I would definitely wait on that title. I picked up Dark Souls for $32 during that Target glitch, and I'm loving every minute of it. For every risk, there's a reward. Keep that in mind, and you'll fall in love with the world of Dark Souls.

-1 vote for dead island. I feel like it could have been so much better, but it really is just clunky, and extremely repetitive. it was fun for the first 2 hours though!

I didn't care for Dead Island, but don't understand calling it repetitive. Even the best RPGs are repetitive as fuck.

I really want to play Dark Souls but I can't afford to replace a shattered controller every day.

Glad I saw this thread. I'm having the same dilemma. I hope more people post input because even though Dark Souls looks like the clear choice, all I had to read was " however if you just want to beat the hell out of zombies" and I'm on the fence again >.

I played dead island for few hrs after that I got hooked I have beat the game and got a 1000.00 g.s on it still play it two this day and I played dark souls game play is bad game looks like crap but still fun game but I would not play 60 bucks for it more worth it when its 40 or 30 bucks but I will say dead island rocks and the glichs are fixed no jacked up saves any more hope this would help you p.s. your really can't compare dark souls or dead island too geter two different kind of games and skyrim for that matter but pplwho don't have skyrim your missing out bad

Dark Souls no doubt. Such a satisfying experience while Dead Island lost its appeal quickly, in my opinion.

Just wanted to say, anyone played a huge amount (by RPG game standards) of Dark Souls and Skyrim must game for 30 hours a day. These games are massive! >_

[quote name='Blabadon']Just wanted to say, anyone played a huge amount (by RPG game standards) of Dark Souls and Skyrim must game for 30 hours a day. These games are massive! >_

co-op dead island for sure, single player maybe dark souls. havent got a chance to play dark souls yet though. dead island is like borderlands with zombies. if you like borderlands and zombies, youll love it. co-op though. solo prolly not as fun

bread's done
Back