*DEAD* Magnavox Blu-Ray Player was $30 +S/H at gohastings.com *DEAD*

xmrblondex

CAGiversary!
Feedback
163 (100%)
This deal is now dead.
I saw this deal while browsing gohastings.com:
http://www.gohastings.com/catalog/product.jsp?departmentName=ELECTRONICS&sku=279955166

This was a thread on blu-ray.com that pointed out what the pluses and minuses of the player were:
http://forum.blu-ray.com/blu-ray-pl...rs-thread-magnavox-sylvania-insignia-etc.html

I thought this was a pretty good deal, too bad I already have a PS3! My total after tax and 20% off coupon came to about $48.

Let me know if anyone goes in on this!

-xmrblondex

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought this a while back at Wal-Mart for my bedroom. It's a solid player, I have never had any problems with it at all. I never need to do any firmware updates, the only drawback is that the load times are a little long.

I bought a Magnavox bluray player before. Awful. Super loud when I played DVDS. Kind of vibrated to. Having said that $30 is a good deal even if it has some problems.

[quote name='Sarang01']Is this considered new or used? I can't find any info on the page about it being either.[/QUOTE]

This would be new. They only sell media used, everything else is new. I don't appreciate the fact that they don't specifically say it outright, either.

Good deal, I almost bit just so i would have a reason to buy a BD+DVD combo pack (Toy Story 3, I'm looking at you), but I'm still not ready to jump into BD yet.

EDIT: BAH! I bit. Thinking of the future. $46 shipped total (20% off + expedited/cheapest shipping)

FYI: 14 left in stock as of my purchase. 20% off code = WIN0810

My research conclusions: This is the newest cheap model (Wal-mart for $98, no firmware update needed, but is available), BD 1.1 = less SNAFUs than the newer fancy models with add'l features.

I got the Magnavox model from walmart on black friday last year, not sure if its the same one... but it works great with no problems and I love it. It does what it needs to do, and DVD output looks great too.

[quote name='Kerig']This would be new. They only sell media used, everything else is new. I don't appreciate the fact that they don't specifically say it outright, either.

Good deal, I almost bit just so i would have a reason to buy a BD+DVD combo pack (Toy Story 3, I'm looking at you), but I'm still not ready to jump into BD yet.

EDIT: BAH! I bit. Thinking of the future. $46 shipped total (20% off + expedited/cheapest shipping)

FYI: 14 left in stock as of my purchase. 20% off code = WIN0810

My research conclusions: This is the newest cheap model (Wal-mart for $98, no firmware update needed, but is available), BD 1.1 = less SNAFUs than the newer fancy models with add'l features.[/QUOTE]

With you doing the leg work for me/ giving me a nudge over I decided to jump in on one and since I needed a player for my living room (so I can move my PS3 away from the Kids)

Thanks, grabbed one. I figure it will make a great raffle prize for a Jack and Jill party.

2 left

Tempted but doubt i ever use Blu rays

also i think we will see these the day after thanksgiving for same price or cheaper..

I dont think you can play netflix movies on this model

[quote name='slidecage']2 left

Tempted but doubt i ever use Blu rays

also i think we will see these the day after thanksgiving for same price or cheaper..

I dont think you can play netflix movies on this model[/QUOTE]

What do you mean y9ou can't play netflix movies on this model? Do you mean stream them? If that is the case then no you can't but that is what the XBox and PS3 can be used for this seems to be a solid Blu Player.

Now if Netflix has some speical pressing of the Blu's and this player can't play them then I am screwed.

[quote name='joshnorm']What do you mean y9ou can't play netflix movies on this model? Do you mean stream them? If that is the case then no you can't but that is what the XBox and PS3 can be used for this seems to be a solid Blu Player.

Now if Netflix has some speical pressing of the Blu's and this player can't play them then I am screwed.[/QUOTE]

yea my mistake. i mean stream the movies.

Deal is now DEAD

[quote name='slidecage']Tempted but doubt i ever use Blu rays
[/QUOTE]
You will have to, eventually, right?

If the only problem with it is slow loading times then I'm all in for $50! It's hard to beat that.:D

[quote name='Penguin1084']I got the Magnavox model from walmart on black friday last year, not sure if its the same one... but it works great with no problems and I love it. It does what it needs to do, and DVD output looks great too.[/QUOTE]

I ended up getting two, but even though I hate the shipping, 2 for $84 total isn't bad. What's bad is when they say "expedited" shipping (which was cheaper choice) and still haven't received it yet. I ordered it on Tues. I'd hate to see their standard shipping.

I had a Magnavox DVD player for 5 years before it stopped working 100% correctly. I had a Philips for 6 months and it's garbage. So in the future I wouldn't worry about the brand, they are really good.

[quote name='JayVG']I ordered it on Tues. I'd hate to see their standard shipping.[/QUOTE]

I came back to this thread for this exact reason. I received an E-mail on Sunday saying it shipped, and haven't received it yet. That's 4 full days of shipping time.

To add insult to that, when you click on the track order info it brings up an invalid link box. I still don't even know what delivery method they actually used, and there's absolutely no tracking info for it. Quite a joke.

[quote name='Kerig']I came back to this thread for this exact reason. I received an E-mail on Sunday saying it shipped, and haven't received it yet. That's 4 full days of shipping time.

To add insult to that, when you click on the track order info it brings up an invalid link box. I still don't even know what delivery method they actually used, and there's absolutely no tracking info for it. Quite a joke.[/QUOTE]

Same here with invalid link. This was my first experience with these people and I'm going to say it's not a pleasant one. But I just received it this morning from the USPS. Was shipped directly in the manufacturer's box so everyone knew exactly what was inside. I still prefer the wrapping items so no one knows the contents.

I got mine a few days after I got the shipping email. I was impressed with the fact that it sent quickly.

One thing that I am disappointed with is that it doesn't come with Component cables (I don't have an extra HDMI port on my TV) so now I have to head over to Monoprice to buy a set.

bread's done
Back