Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate $22 at gamestop

heyheyhey11

CAGiversary!
http://www.gamestop.com/browse?nav=16k-3-Dead+or+Alive+5+Ultimate,28zu0

in time for new character Marie Rose coming up on the 26th of this month.

maria_rose_001_thumb.jpg

I thought making DOA5/U multiplatform would bring more players, the Xbox DOA players + new players who never had a Xbox console. Based on what you've said, it seems like it's still only the Xbox players playing the newest games but some of them bought it on Sony consoles instead, splitting the players base in half, making it seems like far fewer players available on each platform. If that really is the case, then Tecmo made a pretty big mistake.

I do agree on Tecmo competing themselves with the DOA5/DOA5+/DOA5U ordeal.
In terms of profit and bottom line it wasn't a mistake by Tecmo. They most likely ended up selling more units across all the platforms and porting the code probably wasn't that cumbersome considering DOA5 spans 3 consoles (Xbox, PS3, Vita) and might even see some next generation ports in the future.

In terms of player based it obviously hurt. The core audience for DOA was always on Xbox since it was always an exclusive. I would assume more people bought DOA5 on Xbox 360 because it has already been established on that console. Since DOA4 was an exclusive to the 360 it makes sense that a lot of DOA fans probably already owned an Xbox 360.

I don't know much about tournament play and which console they prefer to use, but I have seen plenty of videos of the pros playing on 360 rather than ps3. Don't know if that has changed more recently though. It's definitely weird since Core Fighters got over a million downloads but I've hopped on a couple of times and tried to find a match and it was dead. Then I switched back to 360 and was still able to find matches. I wish Microsoft would have allowed Core Fighters on 360 rather than ps3 because there are probably more fans of DOA on the 360 than on the ps3.

I saw it used for $19.99 2 days ago at my gamestop. That's before the power up price. I still just can't bite on it. They pissed me off so bad making an "ultimate" edition after I slapped down money for DOA5 special edition. I mean all they had to do was make the extra content DLC for those of us who early adopted.

I mean no Leon in DOA5 was a slap to my face. He's been my best character since I first played DOA2 hardcore.  So to put him in DOA5U made me furious as I was not gonna pay $40 for a game that makes my DOA5 obsolete and useless.  Capcom got me with Suepr Street fighter 2 only because amazon at the time gave me credits and 50% of and all this stuff and I got SSFIV for $1.98 on day 1. lol but I never got into it (I prefer 3rd strike or CvS2).

When DOA5U hits black friday for $10 i'll bite. But no sooner. Same goes for killer instinct on Xbox one. I'll get that when an ultimate edition in a  physical disc form comes out.

I don't know much about tournament play and which console they prefer to use, but I have seen plenty of videos of the pros playing on 360 rather than ps3. Don't know if that has changed more recently though. It's definitely weird since Core Fighters got over a million downloads but I've hopped on a couple of times and tried to find a match and it was dead. Then I switched back to 360 and was still able to find matches. I wish Microsoft would have allowed Core Fighters on 360 rather than ps3 because there are probably more fans of DOA on the 360 than on the ps3.
I think the tourney guys prefer the 360 because it has 1 frame input lag adavantage over the PS3, like with any fighting game. If I remember correctly, DOA4 has 4 frames on the 360, DOA5 has 5 frames on the 360 and 6 frames on the PS3. This is probably one of the reasons the former Team Ninja head never supported the PS3. The publisher wanted to but he never complied.

Core Fighters could have been on the 360 if MS would have eased its policies for the publisher. Same goes with Tekken Revolution and upcoming Soul Calibur Lost Swords. All of these free to play fighters won't make it to MS consoles.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the tourney guys prefer the 360 because it has 1 frame input lag adavantage over the PS3, like with any fighting game. If I remember correctly, DOA4 has 4 frames on the 360, DOA5 has 5 frames on the 360 and 6 frames on the PS3. This is probably one of the reasons the former Team Ninja head never supported the PS3. The publisher wanted to but he never complied.

Core Fighters could have been on the 360 if MS would have eased its policies for the publisher. Same goes with Tekken Revolution and upcoming Soul Calibur Lost Swords. All of these free to play fighters won't make it to MS consoles.
PS3 has been the standard at EVO for years now. Given it was probably because Sony gave all the ps3's to support the events.

It has some DLCs from the vanilla version but there are also around $150 worth of DLCs thus far if you want the rest. I'm assuming most of you aren't fans because fans would have picked up the game at launch and bought at least half of the DLCs. ;)
To put it in prespectibe, DOA5U comes with free unlockable costumes from gameplay which are usually ones you get from the older DOA games, mostly around 5-7 per character. So in essence you are getting a complete DOA game, just not GOTY.

Also, you can buy the Vanilla DLC package for a fraction which does have all the DLC from vanilla DOA5. which is still pricy but better than buying individually.

I wished that Tecmo did season passes for this or just bundle a complete set per year.

maybe, just maybe when Marie Rose becomes available, we'll see something like that, but I highly doubt it.

bread's done
Back