[DEAD]Planet Earth Blu-ray $49.99 @ Amazon.com

I just bought it for the $49.95, along with a PS3 Blu-ray Remote and Pre-Order for "I am Legend". So, I guess that means it is back up for now, Thanks OP!!! CAG saved me $5 in tax and shipping costs over the Best Buy deal, which I just canceled...:)

Thanks! I just jumped on it.

I'm extra happy that it's the BBC version in full 1080p as opposed to the Discovery Channel version that is not only in a lower resolution, but is missing nearly 1-2 hours worth of footage.

[quote name='JLazzuri']Frys online has it for $39.99.[/QUOTE]

yeah, but that's the HD-DVD version.

edit- /sigh I just ordered the BD version from amazon and the NiN BD.(talk about two extremes) I had a $30 GC. I can't believe I've been Blu for more than a year now without these. And I do own pretty much everything else.

There US economy, I hope you get well soon.(Amazon and BBC are both American right?)

[quote name='hmbtnguy']Thanks! I just jumped on it.

I'm extra happy that it's the BBC version in full 1080p as opposed to the Discovery Channel version that is not only in a lower resolution, but is missing nearly 1-2 hours worth of footage.[/QUOTE]

It's actually not, it's a misprint on the box. There was a letter floating around on another forum (I believe either AVS or DVDtalk) from the BBC stating that it was indeed a packaging error and is 1080i.

[quote name='jimbodan']It's actually not, it's a misprint on the box. There was a letter floating around on another forum (I believe either AVS or DVDtalk) from the BBC stating that it was indeed a packaging error and is 1080i.[/QUOTE]

Wait are you sure? I just checked highdef digest and it states that the Discovery version is 1080i while the BBC version is 1080p.

[quote name='shadowrage']yeah, but that's the HD-DVD version.

I saw the BD online at Fry's yesterday for the $39.99 price, but now it's not there anymore. Go fig. Sorry if that threw anyone off.

[quote name='62t']is there any difference between the bbc version on blu ray and hd dvd?[/QUOTE]

you mean BBC BD and BBC HD-DVD?

Price and one is for an abandoned format. Otherwise they both look equally spectacular. And sound the same. Same extras too.

Dont get the Discovery verison.

JLazz- I guess Fry's accidently mixed up the prices. Too bad. Thanks for keeping an eye out though.

[quote name='hmbtnguy']Wait are you sure? I just checked highdef digest and it states that the Discovery version is 1080i while the BBC version is 1080p.[/QUOTE]

Unless the letter is a fake. I'll try to find the post.

On the amazon discussion page: http://www.amazon.com/Official-1080...t_tp?_encoding=UTF8&asin=B000MRAAJM&store=dvd

This answer comes directly from BBC:

"Thank you for your email. To answer your query in detail. The USA version of Planet Earth released in April 2007 was encoded at 1080 59.94i, the UK version released in November 2007 re-used exactly the same encode.

Unfortunately there is an error on the USA packaging incorrectly describing the video stream as 1080p (the format common in for feature film releases). If you perceive a difference, there isn't one, as it is all interlaced material.

It might be helpful for you to know that all HD programmes made for the BBC have to be delivered in 1080 50i regardless of capture format. In addition due to the fact that all the players in the market right now are only guaranteed to play US frame rates we had to make a conversion to 1080 59.94i for these releases. This situation may change during 2008, but we have to put a product in the marketplace that is guaranteed to play on every player and not just some.

With regard to the content, it was decided not to put the "making of" documentaries on the US & UK HD-DVD & Blu-ray releases as most of the content is filmed in SD which would not upconvert well. The UK release also contains two additional programmes which had not been completed in time for inclusion on the US release.

I hope this resolves your query. If we can be of any further help please do not hesitate in contacting us. Kind regards."

I got it from my best buy store and it says BBCVideo at the top left and it plays in 1080p cause my tv tells me everytime the resolution changes and i checked and it played in 1080p

I just got my copy that I ordered through Amazon. It is indeed 1080p.

However, I just found out that the source material is actually 1080i due to the way they filmed it. Regardless, it still looks fabulous.

The discovery version is missing about 1 hour of footage. And the discovery version is 1080i while the bbc is 1080p.

The planet earth future thing is only on the DVD. And there's not a good chance they will do another HD PE release anytime soon.

BTW the price went back up on amazon.

Anyone know of any other good deals on this anywhere?

I was gonna buy it on Amazon the other day, but I stalled until yesterday and it was already over.

Except that is the (IMHO superior, but never the less incorrect to the topic) HD DVD version and not the blu ray.

Yeah I thought this was for the HD version. I keep forgeting that Bluray exists. Guess I need to read more when it gets late and not glance over everything.

bread's done
Back