DEAD: Pre-purchase Popcap's Plants vs Zombies, get Heavy Weapon free

CoffeeEdge

CAGiversary!
Feedback
15 (100%)

Plants vs. Zombies is Popcap's (Peggle, Bejeweled, Zuma, etc) quirky/cutesy upcoming entry into the tower defense genre. PC Gamer gave it 90% in their review, and EDGE Magazine also gave it a 9 out of 10.

Pre-purchase it on Steam for $9.99, and you'll immediately receive Popcap's Heavy Weapon Deluxe on Steam for free. PvZ will be released on May 5, so that's how long this pre-purchase bonus offer is good for.

Link to Steam, in case you somehow missed it the first three times:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/3590/

Official site (wallpapers, mp3s, etc):
http://www.popcap.com/games/pvz

Music video trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0N1_0SUGlDQ

Last edited by a moderator:
I will preface this comment by stating I probably will not be getting this.

However! That is perhaps the most epic trailer for a game I have ever seen in my entire life, lol. I have never really respected PopCap that much as a developer despite owning several of their games but to have the balls to make that video...amazing. So many great moments, the scream, the cholesterol comment (which is true), and the singing zombies... I want this song.

Oh, and its too bad this doesn't come out tomorrow. It would make a good Earth Day gift.

[quote name='bb4lake']I want this song.[/QUOTE]

Go visit the official website I linked in the OP. It has an MP3 of the song in both English and Japanese (and yes, it's awesome in Japanese as well, especially the zombies).

Also, in case your interested, the singer/composer has a blog, and posted some info about the song here:
http://shigi.wordpress.com/2009/04/02/sunflower/

(Also, she's actually fairly interesting, and is making an RPG of her own, here.)

ha! what a ridiculous concept for a game (in a good way)! if i didn't already have heavy weapon deluxe (99 cents during holiday sale!) i'd probably bite on this.

[quote name='DukeEdwardI']ha! what a ridiculous concept for a game (in a good way)! if i didn't already have heavy weapon deluxe (99 cents during holiday sale!) i'd probably bite on this.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I still haven't bit, myself. I really want PvZ, and I don't have Heavy Weapon, but to be honest, I just don't really like Heavy Weapon all that much, hence the hesitation. If the free game was either Bejeweled Twist, Peggle Nights, or Zuma, I definitely would have pulled the trigger by now. Heavy Weapon, though, isn't really compelling enough to make it a no-brainer for me.

I've been listening to the song non-stop at work. There is no way the game will live up to the sheer brilliance that's the song but I may buy it anyway.

The Japanese version is even better (from the OP's links)... just since it sounds like such a J-pop song anyway.

I got it, for 10 bucks its worth the gamble plus Heavy Weapon isnt bad. doesnt have much depth but fun for mindless shooting for a while.

[quote name='mtxbass1']No chance of this coming to XBLA right?[/QUOTE]

AstroPop, Bejeweled 2, Feeding Frenzy, Heavy Weapon, Peggle, and Zuma all made it to XBLA, so I don't see any reason to believe that PvZ on XBLA isn't a possibility. Looking at the previous releases, though, I'd expect there to be a significant gap between the PC release and any potential XBLA version.

I just noticed on the game's main page (link is in the OP) that this has gotten a 90% from PC Gamer saying, "Funny, endless, ridiculously good value." and "By the time you finish the Adventure, the obscene wealth of other things to do already outweighs it for entertainment value."

To me, that sounds really promising already. I bought Peggle Deluxe for $10 and i sure as hell got my money's worth out of that game, and it looks like Plants vs. Zombies is going to do the same thing.

[quote name='Demix500']I wish steam and xbox live were the same company :(

I don't know which to get it for [/QUOTE]

Plants vs Zombies is not announced for XBLA at the moment, so that kind of makes the decision for you.

[quote name='MarkTheArk']which version of heavy weapon is better, the PC one or XBLA one?[/QUOTE]

Pretty much identical. The main difference that I can think of, is that the XBLA version supports widescreen, which I don't think the PC version has.

Anyways, you could play the free demos of each, to see for yourself.

[quote name='MarkTheArk']which version of heavy weapon is better, the PC one or XBLA one?[/QUOTE]

I'd have to say the XBLA one is better. It has online/offline co-op with up to 4 players! The PC version is just kind of one of those games you play when you have 15 minutes to spare. I can see the XBLA actually being a really fun time though.

[quote name='PrarieD0G']LMAO, that trailer is hilarious.[/quote]

I gotta agree here. It's been 15 mins after I listened to that trailer and that song is STUCK in my head, and probably will for a while. Crazy reviews from a different type of game like this.

I feel like i might have to get this, the song's been in my head ALL fuckING DAY.

Unrelated, i just changed my sig pic, is it too big? I wasn't sure, but it's so cool i didn't want to change it =/

[quote name='the_punisher']I feel like i might have to get this, the song's been in my head ALL fuckING DAY.

Unrelated, i just changed my sig pic, is it too big? I wasn't sure, but it's so cool i didn't want to change it =/[/quote]

i dunno...it could be bigger.

[quote name='DukeEdwardI']I'd have to say the XBLA one is better. It has online/offline co-op with up to 4 players![/QUOTE]

Oh yeah! Duh! I'm an idiot. Yes, that is the huge difference. So, the XBLA version is superior, BUT, the XBLA version doesn't come for free with Plants vs Zombies. ;)

[quote name='the_punisher']Unrelated, i just changed my sig pic, is it too big? I wasn't sure, but it's so cool i didn't want to change it =/[/QUOTE]

Too big, brah. This is more appropriate:

50559.jpg

Or this, if the date and Atlus logo aren't totally necessary:

c50559.jpg

[quote name='the_punisher']Unrelated, i just changed my sig pic, is it too big? I wasn't sure, but it's so cool i didn't want to change it =/[/QUOTE]

Too big, brah. This is more appropriate:
126115persona1900x1200.jpg

Holy crap, I might get this just because that trailer was so awesome. I don't like tower defense all that much but this game seems hilarious.

Heavy Weapon is OK too I guess, heh.

Heavy Weapon is pretty solid on the 360. The graphics are better (which I don't really care about for this game) and more importantly the controls work.

On the PC it's entirely controlled with the mouse. That means you move and aim with the mouse. That's f-ing retarded.

With the 360 controller you move with one stick and aim with the other and it's fantastic.

360 version = solid shooting game.
PC version = unplayable.

And I'm normally the kind of person who leans towards PC.

[quote name='fake larry']Heavy Weapon is pretty solid on the 360. The graphics are better (which I don't really care about for this game) and more importantly the controls work.

On the PC it's entirely controlled with the mouse. That means you move and aim with the mouse. That's f-ing retarded.

With the 360 controller you move with one stick and aim with the other and it's fantastic.

360 version = solid shooting game.
PC version = unplayable.

And I'm normally the kind of person who leans towards PC.[/quote]

Oh shit really? That's why I didn't like it on the PC. I'll keep my eye out for a sale.

[quote name='vherub']that's stupid, maybe xpadder would solve it?[/QUOTE]

Xpadder can't add an entirely new control scheme to the game. It just translates gamepad inputs into mouse and keyboard inputs.

Eh, that video/song is lackluster. It's got nothing on Portal's song. I am ready for this though. My girlfriend loves Peggle...and zombies. I r lucky.

[quote name='Demix500']I wish steam and xbox live were the same company :(

I don't know which to get it for[/quote]

No offense, but GOD NO! I'd hate to have Steam adopt any part of that terrible Windows Live interface; not to mention all the other annoyances that go along with Microsoft distribution.

[quote name='mtxbass1']Joystiq reports that this *may* come out on PSN,XBLA, etc.
http://www.joystiq.com/2009/04/23/plants-vs-zombies-may-branch-out-to-consoles-iphone/[/QUOTE]

It must be so easy to write for gaming news blogs. I mean, literally, they can copy/paste that exact same article you linked, change the names, and use it for any game PopCap ever announces from here to infinity.

Basically, they can just say "RUMOR ALERT: It's possible that PopCap's recently announced new game Bejeggleduma might also come to XBLA/PSN, based on the fact that many of their previous games have, and also because they state in their company mission that they strive to have their games available to "as many people, on as many platforms as possible." Remember, you heard it here first on Joystiq!"

[quote name='ChernobylCow']Eh, that video/song is lackluster. It's got nothing on Portal's song.[/QUOTE]

Does every silly videogame song have to be compared against Still Alive, these days? Ugh. It's like people comparing every sci-fi series to Star Trek.

lol epic song indeed.

As for which platform to get it on, in this particular case unless the XBLA version adds in some multiplayer I'll probably get the PC version if I do decide to get it.

Glad I wandered in. The trailer is really funny and the song is much better in the Japanese version.

Usually not one for games of this type tho I do have pixeljunk monster on PSN. I think I will bite tonight....

Got steam for x-com... and now the orange box and this, I guess I will eventually get a good list of games on Steam...

The Plants vs Zombies page on PopCap's website says you'll receive a 10% discount and a chance to play the game early if you sign up for Zombie Alerts.

Personally, I'd take the discount over Heavy Weapon, if I had to choose.

LINK

[quote name='ID2006']The Plants vs Zombies page on PopCap's website says you'll receive a 10% discount and a chance to play the game early if you sign up for Zombie Alerts.

Personally, I'd take the discount over Heavy Weapon, if I had to choose.

LINK[/QUOTE]

Don't think this has been asked, but when purchased directly can it be linked to steam?

[quote name='rhettdb2005']Don't think this has been asked, but when purchased directly can it be linked to steam?[/QUOTE]

No.

This is one of the most frequently asked questions about Steam. With only the rarest and most occasional of exceptions (all of which are listed here), you can not activate games bought anywhere else, on Steam.

[quote name='ID2006']The Plants vs Zombies page on PopCap's website says you'll receive a 10% discount and a chance to play the game early if you sign up for Zombie Alerts.

Personally, I'd take the discount over Heavy Weapon, if I had to choose.[/QUOTE]

Slight flaw in that plan: If the entirety of Popcap's prior catalog of games is any indication, then they will be charging $20 for it, directly from their site (which would be $18 after a 10% discount).

Don't believe me? Look for yourself. Almost everything they sell for $10 on Steam (and most of their recent releases have been launching on Steam for $10 initially, rather than starting at $20, and dropping to $10 later), they charge $20 for, directly from Popcap.com. This goes for everything from very old games like Zuma, up to the most recent, like Escape Rosecliff Island. As far as I can tell, the only games they have permanently identical pricing for on both Popcap.com and Steam, are the original Bejeweled, and The Wizard's Pen.

I've been playing Heavy Weapon a little... I think it is definitely worth the 10% discount one would get otherwise, be it $1 or $2.

I would probably price heavy weapon at $2.99 to $3.99

Obviously, if people already have Heavy Weapon, their consideration is different.

heh... just checked their site. They listed Heavy Weapon for $20... well... hope the game really picks it up from were I am at.

[quote name='wasabi5858']I've been playing Heavy Weapon a little... I think it is definitely worth the 10% discount one would get otherwise, be it $1 or $2.

I would probably price heavy weapon at $2.99 to $3.99

Obviously, if people already have Heavy Weapon, their consideration is different.

heh... just checked their site. They listed Heavy Weapon for $20... well... hope the game really picks it up from were I am at.[/QUOTE]

It's not a terrible game. I got it for $1 during their holiday sale and it's a good time killer until you have to go to work. Although some of the later levels get super frustrating (when those huge planes stop dropping atomic bombs).

I'm going to be getting this for mac with the "blitz1" 50% off coupon code--Which will most likely bring it to around $10. So no Heavy Weapon for me, but hopefully it'll be around the same price as Steam.

[quote name='SevereTireDamage']Argh, this was my plan too, but it seems like blitz1 doesn't work anymore.[/quote]

Yep... found that out yesterday. :bomb:

bread's done
Back