Dead Rising confirmed for Wii

[quote name='Blaine']Mario is a plumber who never plumbed.

It's for breakfast now.[/QUOTE]

Not really the same thing.

If I saw leaky pipes all over Mushroom Kingdom and Mario was equipped with an arsenal of wrenches in game, then yeah - I'd wonder why the hell he wasn't patching some damn pipework.

The whole "story" (for what little I played of the game) was that Frank was a photographer who goes to a scoop and gets wrapped up in the carnage. The leveling-up system was tied to photography also. Certain events and interactions with people relied on this gimmick.

There's no reason they can't switch the camera to first person mode and use the IR for photos. My point is that this is coming off as super lazy, which doesn't bode well for the rest of the game when the 360 itself seemed to have issues running it.

If they aren't capable of putting in a gameplay element that makes total fucking sense given the control scheme, I'm not putting much faith in the mechanics/logistics.

I'll wait for more details but these early ones are sending out red flags left and right.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Strell']
The whole "story" (for what little I played of the game) was that Frank was a photographer who goes to a scoop and gets wrapped up in the carnage. The leveling-up system was tied to photography also. Certain events and interactions with people relied on this gimmick.

There's no reason they can't switch the camera to first person mode and use the IR for photos. My point is that this is coming off as super lazy, which doesn't bode well for the rest of the game when the 360 itself seemed to have issues running it.

If they aren't capable of putting in a gameplay element that makes total fucking sense given the control scheme, I'm not putting much faith in the mechanics/logistics.

I'll wait for more details but these early ones are sending out red flags left and right.[/QUOTE]
Slow down here, machzeegenschnell, and gather in the red flags. Maybe Capcom shared your view of the photography as an unnecessary "gimmick" and decided to 86 it altogether. That might be more along the lines of merciful, rather than super lazy.

What has been described thus far sounds like more of a Wii re-imagining of DR for 360 than the Wii port (more or less) of RE4 for GC. I'm gonna withhold judgment until I see screenshots wherein DR Wii attempts some serious gore, zombies, and/or exposed breasts. If they pull off exposed breasts covered in the gore resulting from a decapitated zombie, I'm with them on release day.

[quote name='Strell']Not really the same thing.

If I saw leaky pipes all over Mushroom Kingdom and Mario was equipped with an arsenal of wrenches in game, then yeah - I'd wonder why the hell he wasn't patching some damn pipework.[/quote]

A few of those levels were kinda flooded I guess...

Actually, that was one fucked up building in Donkey Kong and he was supposed to be a carpenter. A monkey steps on it and it turns straight to shit.

You have a hammer, put up a wall brace. Mario has got to be the worlds laziest general contractor.

"My Boss is an Italian with a Shitty Work Ethic".

[quote name='dothog']If they pull off exposed breasts covered in the gore resulting from a decapitated zombie, I'm with them on release day.[/QUOTE]

Yer payin' attention to the wrong game then.

[quote name='Strell']Yer payin' attention to the wrong game then.[/QUOTE]
Ah yes. There's that. Woo boy that one's a doooozy.

Back on point, Dead Rising Wii is gonna be sooo AWESEOME in spite of a no-camera havin player one. I see this one competing with Wii Music for GOTY.

Yeah, I saw that, but I'm pretty sure that was the similar response made about Resident Evil Zero Wii. It's really up to how it holds up in the Japanese market.

I really enjoyed the game when my 360 was relatively new. It may have been difficult in parts, but I enjoyed the challenge.

The game did have flaws, but I would certainly enjoy a sequel. Definitely would not double-dip on a port of this one though.

[quote name='linkpwns']If they'd fix the fucking save system, I'd get it day one...[/quote]

I feel like I'm the only person that didn't mind the save system.

[quote name='rjung']Any chance of Lost Planet for the Wii? :)

--R.J.[/QUOTE]
Have you seen what the smoke looks like in that game? For that alone you'd probably have to duct tape a couple more Gamecubes to the system.

I just hate ports where things are taken down a notch. What happened to HD games being made for HD systems? Instead of downgrading things, they should just focus on making things tailored to the platform of choice. To be fair though, it does seem like they're changing a lot to make this Wii version of DR work.

I'm just nervous because, IMO, the 360 version was really good looking.

Really hope Wii doesn't COMPLETELY ruin how nice this game looks : (

The Wii version is subtitled "Chop 'Til You Drop."

Prime opportunity missed for "Shitloads of Zombies in the Mall."

I will absolutely double dip and buy this if it has wavebird/GC controller support. Hell, even classic controller. I love the idea of no timer, but don't like the idea of playing it with the wiimote.

[quote name='CouRageouS']Have you seen what the smoke looks like in that game? For that alone you'd probably have to duct tape a couple more Gamecubes to the system.

I just hate ports where things are taken down a notch. What happened to HD games being made for HD systems? Instead of downgrading things, they should just focus on making things tailored to the platform of choice. To be fair though, it does seem like they're changing a lot to make this Wii version of DR work.[/quote]I like the fact that they're using the RE4 Wii engine. Sure, it still means it's a big downgrade from the 360 version, but at least they're presenting things in a way that's tailored to the console.

2679841386_332763205d_o.jpg

928326_20060509_screen003.jpg

It appears as though the zombies have formed up into a blob of some sorts in the Wii version. They really do look clumped together. It really does feel like its missing so much by missing the hoard of the 360 screenshot. Who wants to do a head count to compare? :lol:

I have a feeling they'll work in some sort of mechanic where groups of zombies pop out. Maybe they'll just appear out of thin air to compensate. More screens here
http://kotaku.com/5027111/dead-rising-wii-screens-where-did-all-the-zombies-go

Preserving gameplay is easy once you turn off the largely useless bells and whistles of next-gen. The lower resolution by itself saves an enormous amount of power:

I'll call your promo shots with actual 360 shots:
http://xbox360media.ign.com/xbox360/...0062838422.jpg
http://xbox360media.ign.com/xbox360/...0062840578.jpg
http://xbox360media.ign.com/xbox360/...7043304048.jpg
Though there are some places that legitimately packed.

Now the question becomes how much is the gameplay affected as you start scaling number of zombies down. How different is it with 100 vs 90? vs 60, and so on

c20080719_01_deadrising_03_cs1w1_640x480.jpg

In this shot it shows a reasonable amount of character models on the screen as I expected.

Official PR says it is running on the RE4 engine, although the game don't look as polished yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
c20080719_01_deadrising_03_cs1w1_640x480.jpg

In this shot it shows a reasonable amount of character models on the screen as I expected.

Official PR says it is running on the RE4 engine, although the game doesn't look as polished yet.

I don't know, I'd like some weapon based waggle.

But I'm also an idiot and desperate for anything that could be remotely awesome on the Wii.

[quote name='CouRageouS']I just hate ports where things are taken down a notch.[/quote]
Things don't have to be "taken down a notch" if the developer actually makes an effort. Look at the Wii version of Call of Duty: World at War sometime -- aside from the graphics, it'll be completely feature-identical to the XBox 360 and PS3 versions (and the flamethrower looks wicked). Or Guitar Hero 3, which has everything but DLC from the other current-gen versions of GH, and which will have complete feature-parity for GH4.

--R.J.

Someone has to carefully explain to me why it's so bad.

It's the same terrible gameplay from the 360 version, which was insufferable, but now with a few less zombies to contend with.

By nixing the tiny text, Otis interruptions, and fuck-ass time-limit the game is already twice as good.

That being said, not having enough zombies can make the game worse. Enough to offset how much better it's made by taking out the bullshit? Unknown.

[quote name='lilboo']Maybe they realized it was too ridiculous to sell.[/quote]

What? Don't you realize that Wii owners will literally buy shit on a disc? This would sell like HOTCAKES.

[quote name='help1']What? Don't you realize that Wii owners will literally buy shit on a disc? This would sell like HOTCAKES.[/QUOTE]

the problem is that they want to buy shit on a disc.

This game is too fancy looking since it has "graphics" and "gameplay" and "more than one simple task to focus on"

[quote name='gokou36']Did they just delayed this game? I could have swore I saw the release date as 01-20-09 just last week.[/quote]
I think Gamestop had the date wrong - everyone else including Capcom had the date at least a month later than that.

I just read through the last couple pages. Man, seems like most of you hate this game beyond belief. Thanks to World War Z I will watch/read/play anything right now that is remotely zombie-related. I am completely excited for this and the US release of Oneechanbara (I've played through the Japanese version but will happily do so again in English). Sounds like I am lucky I didn't play the 360 version or even really hear anything about it as that seems to have colored many people's opinions of the title.

Also, I will buy shit on a disc. I like to try everything at least once.

I was interested in this game because it was like the original without the bullshit I hated. Less Zombies, I was fine with it if there was a competent amount, only one melee weapon, sure whatever, until I read NO JUMPING.

I am sorry Capcom but I WILL NOT buy a port of Dead Rising if it has no jumping it in. One of the great points of dead rising was crowd surfing on top of a bunch of zombies, and in my opinion will hinder gameplay by a lot. Ok maybe I might give it a shot if I can climb over stuff or something, the problem is there are so many parts of that game where jumping is kinda useful and taking it out well makes it suck.

[quote name='lilboo']http://www.nintendowiifanboy.com/2009/01/19/dead-rising-less-chopping-no-jumping/

Frank can no longer jump.
Yes, they took out JUMPING.
:roll:

Now, I'll sit here and wait for people to defend that now.[/quote]
Here you go:

NO JUMPING?!?!? That's sacrilege! I refuse to have my virtual "hordes of the undead" experience sullied by my inability to jump over them in an unrealistic manner! I might as well just play some crappy, low-budget zombie game where you can't jump like Resident Evil.

Come on. Again, I can see devoted fans of the 360 version balking at changes from the original, but for anyone who hasn't played it in any form yet who can say that jumping necessarily enhances the experience?

It really seems like everyone is just looking for reasons to hate this game. That's what I'll defend against. I am still keeping an open mind.

[quote name='lilboo']They should have just made a NEW game instead of making it a PORT and really, really, taking out a lot of stuff.[/quote]
I guess. I'm totally happy with ports since the only other system I've owned in a long time is a PS2.
[quote name='howlinmad']Really does nothing except give substance to the feeling people have of the Wii being gamesystem-lite. :(

Shame really.[/quote]
"People"? I think you are specifically referring to the extreme minority of the Wii owner base that consider themselves to be banana gamers. "People" only know something's missing if you tell them it is. Something tells me Capcom's marketing pitch for the game isn't going to be to put "NOW WITH WORSE GRAPHICS, FEWER ZOMBIES AND NO JUMPING!" on the cover.

You guys have made me care so much about this game now, you Negative-Nellies.

It may mean no standing still and jumping. I'm sure you can still step up on to objects. I was about to mention climbing up onto hoardes of zombies, but honestly, there will be like.. ten on the screen at any given time.

bread's done
Back