[Dead] Samurai 7 - Box Set Blu-Ray $19.99 directly through Amazon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Samurai 7 is pretty decent for anyone who hasn't seen it, heard of it. If i didn't already have it I'd totally pick this up. Very cool take on the kurosawa film Samurai Seven. Its worth 20 bucks and at least a one watch. Thanks op.

[quote name='nightmare452']I'm buying it to upgrade from my DVD set. Good price for it, thanks op.[/QUOTE]
Eh, waste of money IMO. From what I've read, the series was one of those rare instances where the original material wasn't done in HD, so the transfer will be blurry and have washed colors no matter how good of a job they did on the BD.

[quote name='Jodou']Eh, waste of money IMO. From what I've read, the series was one of those rare instances where the original material wasn't done in HD, so the transfer will be blurry and have washed colors no matter how good of a job they did on the BD.[/QUOTE]

I agree. I'd only pick this up if you haven't seen the show yet. I have it on DVD and it looks fine. To be honest when it comes to anime/cartoons watching a DVD copy on a high def tv is not vastly different from BluRay. I watched Ponyo in both versions. Both were equally enjoyable...and I wouldn't notice the difference unless I was actively looking for it and comparing it.

[quote name='Jodou']Eh, waste of money IMO. From what I've read, the series was one of those rare instances where the original material wasn't done in HD, so the transfer will be blurry and have washed colors no matter how good of a job they did on the BD.[/QUOTE]

It's actually the opposite - Samurai 7 *was* produced in HD, and the transfer is much, much better in comparison to the DVDs.

Claymore, on the other hand, is as you just described. Plus, it's not a very good show.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']It's actually the opposite - Samurai 7 *was* produced in HD, and the transfer is much, much better in comparison to the DVDs.

Claymore, on the other hand, is as you just described. Plus, it's not a very good show.[/QUOTE]I was about to find that post of yours. Saves me the searching.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']It's actually the opposite - Samurai 7 *was* produced in HD, and the transfer is much, much better in comparison to the DVDs.

Claymore, on the other hand, is as you just described. Plus, it's not a very good show.[/QUOTE]
I think the real issue here is Funimation lol. Samurai 7 didn't really draw me in like Claymore did, but I prefer the darker tones so that weighs heavily on my interest.

Claymore, on the other hand, is as you just described. Plus, it's not a very good show.[/QUOTE]

I did research you previous posts from an old forum when Amazon "matched" Best Buy's price of $19.99 (Amazon matched it to $21.99 briefly) and I did find that Samurai 7 is one of those rare animes that was done in HD so the Bluray transfer is of actual better quality instead of just an upscale.

I still canceled it, not because of the others comments (thanks for your opinions anyways guys). I canceled my order about 5 minute after my post of ordering since I told myself that as much as I would like it in HD, I have never seen a huge difference in my eyes after watching a Bluray versus watching it on DVD, there is only so much your eyes can tell. I do agree normal movies look amazing on Blurays and now I buy all my movies on Bluray, but anime specifically will be pretty much equal in my eyes, so I saved myself the $20.

:D

[quote name='eau']So, is it worth the upgrade from DVD?[/QUOTE]

For this one, I think so, especially if you like the show. The video quality of the original DVD release was a bit muddy, and dark scenes especially suffered. I picked up the Blu-ray release when Best Buy had it for $19.99 a couple months ago, and sold off my DVD set. I don't regret it.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']For this one, I think so, especially if you like the show. The video quality of the original DVD release was a bit muddy, and dark scenes especially suffered. I picked up the Blu-ray release when Best Buy had it for $19.99 a couple months ago, and sold off my DVD set. I don't regret it.[/QUOTE]Sold it for me.

I have the edition of Samurai 7 with the guidebooks, still sealed. I'm considering selling that to pay for this upgrade, although I'd be sad to loose the guidebooks.

FYI, there's lots of fansub sites out there if you ever need to preview an anime. I've been using Animekuro a lot because it's free and they rarely have broken links.

I just bought this set, and its all your fault. You're a jerk... a helpful, knowledgeable jerkface.

I got Samurai 7 when BB had their sale. It was pretty good. I didn't think there was much of a difference between the Claymore DVD (fansub) and the blu ray that I bought, asides from the fact that you get better sound quality. Maybe there's some instances of transfer fail, but it didn't detract me from the show. Too bad it deviated so much from the manga in the end, which after following the manga, I think might have been a good thing. It's just meh. Average show, but enjoyable.

Samurai & will be on netflix instant starting October 1st, if you have netflix and went to see it, but aren't sure about buying it.

God dammit, I got this in my quick picks today bringing it down to $19 shipped. I'm still torn because I was rather bored with the show after two episodes and I know this would be a one time watch for me. Very tempting but I'm gonna pass.

A buddy of mine practically soiled himself when I told him about this. :lol: thanks for some comedy, OP!

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back