[DEAD] Save ~50% on Select FUNimation S.A.V.E. Releases @ Amazon.com

WTK

CAGiversary!
Refer to here for any additional questions and notes in regards to S.A.V.E. releases. Note: some of the cover arts shown on Amazon.com are not accurate, see table for more information.

Promotion ends on 9/20/10.
[FONT=Verdana, Arial]
[/FONT]

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='killa5k7'] I was going to pick up Negima. Is it good? I hear good things but you never know. [/QUOTE]

Negima manga is awesome, as for the 2 anime series.... I'll give you my opinion.

The first season is good, but there are some major issues I had with it. First the animation was not that great, especially in the early episodes. Second, because the manga wasn't finished, they created a really awful ending to it.

The second season is a re-imagining of the series, and not a continuation. While I thought the second season started off as very enjoyable, it quickly went south. By the time I was halfway through, I just wanted it to end. Sadly, it doesn't get good again until the last 4 or 5 episodes. It was like through the middle of the season, they tried to turn Negima into a gag anime and failed miserably.

[quote name='killa5k7']I was going to pick up Negima. Is it good? I hear good things but you never know. This round I have Beck in my cart and was tempted to pick up Moonphase this go around..too many choices..please guys, I need support![/QUOTE]

Neither Negima anime is any good. Stick to the manga. Moonphase is pretty terrible, too. Rumbling Hearts is a guilty pleasure of mine, but I guess that still doesn't get you over the $25 mark...

[quote name='fairyland']Got my package unusually fast, like 5 days with the free shipping. I'm used to waiting about 2 weeks from Amazon with free shipping. Watched two episodes of Suzuka and it's more like Love Hina than Video Girl Ai. Watched 5 eps of Hell Girl and it is very repetitive indeed. It's not an anime you can sit for the entire day and watch all the eps, which is what I normally do. Both are good enough, but nothing mind blowingly great.[/QUOTE]

Aw, don't give up on Hell Girl. It gets better. I got hooked and watched in a marathon session when the back story of the dolls and Enma started creeping in. Then again, the reporter and his daughter never bothered me. Hell Girl is great for the way they show how depraved and selfish people can get --justified or not. Culminating in an emotional high of an ending IMO. Oh, and the music. Lurve.

Hell Girl bugged me, so morbid on the surface, but it made me wonder if it was some subtle critique of Japan's high suicide rate among other things. I couldn't take seeing impulsive characters willingly condemn themselves to an eternity of torment though.

1st Negima series is dull, but I couldn't get past the bland animation in the first place. The 2nd Negima series has better animation, but it reuses a lot of the same sorts of stylish bits from other Shaft productions like Moonphase and Pani Poni Dash, so if you've already seen those it can come off as really unoriginal and degrading to Shaft.

I thoroughly enjoyed Moonphase, I thought it was cute, a little actiony, intriguing, and at times very touching. The dub is also quite good.

Decided to get School Rumble 1 this morning due to endorsements here. Moonphase was on the list, but I don't know if it would be a keeper so I'm holding off. I watched the first couple of eps and it was alright. Too bad Netflix is missing a disc.

Anyone know if the S.A.V.E. packaging for Rumble has the permanent glowy green thing printed on the cover, or is that just a sticker?

Back to being pro Hell Girl... I can understand how it would seem repetitive in the beginning, but it does go off formula later. I like shows that delve into the core of their main characters' souls. Those crazy folks who email Ai are backdrops to this tragedy.

The social commentary that I would venture to guess is that mean and selfish people have existed forever, and that's never going to change. It is morbid. And there's always a price to pay. Made me feel like a better person though. :lol:

[quote name='Hibiwa']
Anyone know if the S.A.V.E. packaging for Rumble has the permanent glowy green thing printed on the cover, or is that just a sticker? [/QUOTE]

It is just a sticker. Nothing on the packaging

[quote name='G-Nitro']It is just a sticker. Nothing on the packaging[/QUOTE]

yeah, they're just reprices of the viridian collections

Thanks G-Nitro and wormraper. It would have been weird to have their faces covered like that permanently.

edit: Apologies to WTK for not paying attention to the first post and link to S.A.V.E. info. Duh.

[quote name='DuelLadyS']I'm thinking of picking Str.A.In and Solty Rei, but I'm hoping back due to lack of funds and series knowledge. I have the first single of Solty Rei, I should really watch it before this sale ends...[/QUOTE]
Solty Rei is a really good series. I watched the whole series in two days. With this sale, it is probably the most anime I have bought at one time. I will probably be watching till my eyes bleed.

Okay, after a couple of one ups from some of you guys I just went ahead and bought Beck, Air and Rumbling Hearts. People say Kirin sucks and I hate to be partial but Kirin has been dead on ever since...thanks for saving me from Moonphase..and G-nitro and following..thanks from saving me from Negima...my friend Dave swears by the manga like all you guys...I was just curious about the whole look/feel of the anime itself being all magical.

Why does everyone hate Moonphase, I enjoyed it a couple years ago (though it was far from perfect). Then again my tastes have changed since then, I can't even watch Clannad (around the same time my favorite anime, now it bores me) anymore.

Finally decided on Air TV, Kanon, Valkyrie S3-S4 and Beck. I've already watched them all but might as well support them.

[quote name='Dragonsbane']Anyone have an opinion on rumbling hearts?[/QUOTE]
It's a melodramatic romance drama that hits you like a bus.

[quote name='B:L']It's a melodramatic romance drama that hits you like a bus.[/QUOTE]

Pretty much. And like I said before, a guilty pleasure of mine.

[quote name='B:L']It's a melodramatic romance drama that hits you like a bus.[/QUOTE]

Hmm.... dont have enough of those, it is on the level of the ending of wolfs rain? That tears me up every time. Also the endings of air and air tv....

[quote name='Dragonsbane']Hmm.... dont have enough of those, it is on the level of the ending of wolfs rain? That tears me up every time. Also the endings of air and air tv....[/QUOTE]

it's not so much of an epic ending nor is it something to the effect that'll achieve catharsis towards the end of the series.

Here's my take on Rumbling Hearts (KimiNozo)The premise is you have a basic love triangle setting, something rather atypical to romantic dramas happens fairly early on, then you have bakayuki does his thing (the main character), and then you get hit by a bus, figuratively speaking, (not something that extraordinary, but definitely a plot device that you wouldn't see everyday) somewhere towards the middle of the series, and then for me, downhill all the way till the end (and that happened when one of my friends told me strongly to watch it, and much to my dismay, that bus came, and the best analogy I can make is with that Austin Power slow moving truck hitting the screaming worker guy - everybody can see it coming about 2 episodes ago, and I am still hoping that the bus wouldn't hit)

that's my 2 cents

I liked parts of Rumbling Hearts, I hated the ending though which really put a bad taste in my mouth though about the rest of the series.

Needless to say I watched all of it within 2 days or something, because I had to keep going... for that cheap, go for it I guess.

And since I bought Kanon, I like some of it but not that much... Air and Clannad are much better imo.

[quote name='Dragonsbane']Anyone have an opinion on rumbling hearts?[/QUOTE]
I thoroughly enjoyed it subtitled, but I read reviews that absolutely trashed the dub track, so that could unknowingly be a factor in some of these peoples' problem with it.

[quote name='Shinpachi']I thoroughly enjoyed it subtitled, but I read reviews that absolutely trashed the dub track, so that could unknowingly be a factor in some of these peoples' problem with it.[/QUOTE]

An error in the dub in an early episode completely contradicts a major plot point later on, which is a pretty big problem with it.

[quote name='Grico']An error in the dub in an early episode completely contradicts a major plot point later on, which is a pretty big problem with it.[/QUOTE]

I don't remember any contradictions in Rumbling Hearts' English dub, and I really enjoyed the English dub. I thought it was a great show, but it had a terrible ending, and thankfully an alternate ending was made as an OVA, which is what I consider to be the true ending.

Everyone should be buying Count of Monte Cristo and School Rumble. fucking amazing. I've also liked Pumpkin Scissors. I've only seen the first 5 episodes, though.

[quote name='Razzuel']I don't remember any contradictions in Rumbling Hearts' English dub, and I really enjoyed the English dub. I thought it was a great show, but it had a terrible ending, and thankfully an alternate ending was made as an OVA, which is what I consider to be the true ending.[/QUOTE]
I'm not quite sure that I prefer the Alternative ending, what with the characters ending up in a giant mecha war with aliens and all.

[quote name='Razzuel']I don't remember any contradictions in Rumbling Hearts' English dub, and I really enjoyed the English dub. I thought it was a great show, but it had a terrible ending, and thankfully an alternate ending was made as an OVA, which is what I consider to be the true ending.[/QUOTE]

Is the ending horrible in a Grave of the Fireflies way where everyone loses? or is it just a bad anime ending, like the entire dragons ball z series rolled into one episode....

[quote name='B:L']I'm not quite sure that I prefer the Alternative ending, what with the characters ending up in a giant mecha war with aliens and all.[/QUOTE]

Huh? I'm not sure how to respond to that besides directly pointing out the OVA (Warning: this is an alternate ending to Rumbling Hearts, so the synopsis will contain spoilers. Don't click on that link if you haven't seen Rumbling Hearts).

[quote name='Dragonsbane']Is the ending horrible in a Grave of the Fireflies way where everyone loses? or is it just a bad anime ending, like the entire dragons ball z series rolled into one episode....[/QUOTE]

Hmm, it's not terrible for either of those reasons. I'm not sure how to be specific without unintentionally spoiling the ending. You may enjoy the ending, though; even though I don't like it, I can understand why other people would like it.

[quote name='Razzuel'][quote name='B:L']I'm not quite sure that I prefer the Alternative ending, what with the characters ending up in a giant mecha war with aliens and all.[/QUOTE]Huh? I'm not sure how to respond to that besides directly pointing out the OVA (Warning: this is an alternate ending to Rumbling Hearts, so the synopsis will contain spoilers. Don't click on that link if you haven't seen Rumbling Hearts).[/QUOTE]
konachancom20203301020m.jpg

[quote name='Razzuel']What the hell is that?[/QUOTE]
Explanations below:
Kiminozo had SEVERAL Alternate/Alternative "sequels". There was the OVA you mentioned.

After that was Akane-Maniax, about a hot-blooded wanna-be-a-mecha-pilot guy who falls for Haruka's sister, and their wacky school hijinx.

Then there was the even more alternate sequel to that called MuvLuv, where they became mecha pilots.

FINALLY there was literally an Alternative sequel to that called MuvLuv Alternative which is crazy violent and more like Evangelion than Kiminozo.

I’m thinking about taking advantage of this offer since I’ve been meaning to watch some of these.
And just out of curiosity could someone offer their opinion on Str.A.In.?

Dang, my last shipment 2 weeks ago has yet to be charged and shipped. What the heck, people have really bought this anime up.

[quote name='Nodaichi']I’m thinking about taking advantage of this offer since I’ve been meaning to watch some of these.
And just out of curiosity could someone offer their opinion on Str.A.In.?[/QUOTE]

Completely average, unmemorable mecha/space opera anime.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']Completely average, unmemorable mecha/space opera anime.[/QUOTE]

Well thank you for you review! Needless to say I passed on it and bought Air tv, School Rumble S1, and Gankutsuou instead.

[quote name='Nodaichi']Well thank you for you review! Needless to say I passed on it and bought Air tv, School Rumble S1, and Gankutsuou instead.[/QUOTE]

All three of those are *much* better choices. Good job!

[quote name='Nodaichi']Well thank you for you review! Needless to say I passed on it and bought Air tv, School Rumble S1, and Gankutsuou instead.[/QUOTE]

Excellent choices.

Thanks to the OP for this, I bought beck and pumpkin scissors, not to sure on pumpkin but for the price could not pass up. Is school rumble a good anime I could not get any feedbacks from my buddies?

[quote name='karkarot2']Thanks to the OP for this, I bought beck and pumpkin scissors, not to sure on pumpkin but for the price could not pass up. Is school rumble a good anime I could not get any feedbacks from my buddies?[/QUOTE]

Yes, School Rumble is one of the best titles of this sale. Nobody should be passing it up.

School Rumble season 1 was a very fun watch. I didn't find it as hilarious as many pumped it up to be, but I really did enjoy it overall. I would recommend it. I still need to watch Season 2.

bread's done
Back