Dead Space 2 -Hardcore Advice

BennyWii

CAGiversary!
I'm about to go for this trophy and I am wondering if anyone, who has already beaten Hardcore mode , can give me some swell advice or tips. Thanks!

Yeah this trophy is pretty tricky, but a lot of fun. here are some tips that might help you out.

Save points- There are the places where I saved at
1st save-mid chapter 5, the part where you enter the big room and a pregnant necro comes out along with 2 to 4 leapers. I'm glad I did save here because I died a ton on the next few rooms with the stalkers.
2nd save-Very end of chapter 9, right before you fight the tripods nest. You could maybe wait til chapter 10 to save if you wanted but i screwed up on this part once so i made sure i saved before it next time.
3rd save-beginning of chapter 13, after the drill ride

Weapons-
Pulse Rifle, this is IMO the best weapon in the game for killing necros, once you power it up and can do a lot of damage you can just keep firing even when you miss. I never really used the secondary fire on this or upgraded the secordary.
Detonator, I could do the stalker parts without this gun. It absolutely owns the stalkers which is one of the parts I had the most trouble with. You can also use it to cover your back in other parts where you get jumped. Make sure you set the mine instead of hitting enemies directly if you can. It does more damage if they run into the mine.
Contact beam, I only bought this near the end of chapter 13 and it was pretty much the only gun i used from there on. The last two chapters you will own with the secondary fire upgraded so you freeze your enemies. I just ran past a lot of enemies in chapter 15 thanks to this things.It also helps a ton with the last boss.

The evelator ride
There is a trick for this one, make sure you have a lot of statsis saved up, kill the first guy that drops, wait til there are two guys dropping and statsis them. Just keep statsising them for the whole ride. A third will drop, statsis him too. It's a long ride but you don't have to kill them, just freeze them.

@Nerv Wow, Elevator ride trick will help me out a bunch! Also, I never really used an upgraded plasma rifle because is seemed too in accurate/waste of ammo; might give it a shot though (no pun intended). The Detonator seemed like a good gun but I don't know exactly where the enemies are coming from or where to set up the mines.
Thanks for all the advice!!!

Detonator- Yeah all I did was hide in a corner and shoot mines at the walls guarding me from both sides for the stalkers.

As far as the plasma rifle goes, I thought the same thing about wasting ammo but I always had plenty. Just the ability to keep shooting without reloading helped out a ton in hairy situations. Here is a video that sold me the PULSE RIFLE not the plasma rifle lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAeoAQE3KDk&feature=related

This guy plays all of hardcore mode with only the pulse rifle.

Just finished the game and not about to do hardcore at the moment. But the bridge and then the part after the eye were the two toughest IMO and still would be on hardcore. I honestly thought 14 and 15 were not too bad.

Wow, 3 saves only in HC more? Yikes, I could never make that. Simply due to the time involved....I could not devote 3 hours at a time to make it work. Good luck!

Re-spec your rig any changes to an HP node will reset Isaac's life to full.Not sure but it should also work for ammo.Heard about it in the Reble fm Dead Space 2 podcast.

Just put your first node into suit health and then concentrate on upgrading stasis. It's really not that difficult if you take it slow and aren't afraid to use your items. As for weapons, you could probably win with any combination you're comfortable with. I personally used the Plasma Cutter, Ripper, and Contact Beam from when each was available to the end.

I saved at the beginning of chapter 7, the middle of chapter 10, and the beginning of chapter 13, but even that's really a matter of personal preference and how far you think you can get on one life.

[quote name='mrx001']Re-spec your rig any changes to an HP node will reset Isaac's life to full.Not sure but it should also work for ammo.Heard about it in the Reble fm Dead Space 2 podcast.[/QUOTE]

That didn't work when I tried it, but I didn't exactly test extensively.

[quote name='Nerv_001']Detonator- Yeah all I did was hide in a corner and shoot mines at the walls guarding me from both sides for the stalkers.

As far as the plasma rifle goes, I thought the same thing about wasting ammo but I always had plenty. Just the ability to keep shooting without reloading helped out a ton in hairy situations. Here is a video that sold me the PULSE RIFLE not the plasma rifle lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAeoAQE3KDk&feature=related

This guy plays all of hardcore mode with only the pulse rifle.[/QUOTE]

damn i may try that then. i know the secondary funstion of the rifle is good for clearing the elevator and that way i could use more nodes for the suit and other things.

[quote name='lokizz']damn i may try that then. i know the secondary funstion of the rifle is good for clearing the elevator and that way i could use more nodes for the suit and other things.[/QUOTE]

Yeah you don't even need to kill hardly anyone on the elevator ride. Just kill the first guy and wait til two dudes drop and stasis them for the whole ride. A third will drop eventually and stasis him as well. It will take a while for the ride to end but you don't need to kill them. Just stasis them. Worked like a dream for me :)

bread's done
Back