Dead Space 3 Demo is out!

I would probably pick up the Survival Kit bundle if it included all of the scavenger bot stuff, but since it's mostly suits and weapons I don't think I need it. I feel like the LE suits and weapons are more than adequate, plus I'm just going to use the N7 suit anyway.

[quote name='ActionKazimer']
Anyone have any insight to using the Scavenger Bot more effectively? I get to listen for the audio cues, but I feel like I'm still missing something. Not sure how to identify the sweet spot for sending him off.[/QUOTE]

There's a pretty unique audio cue when you're in close proximity to the scavenging hotspot. Bring up the radar every once in a while and look for the arrows on the side to point inwards which means that it's on the same level/elevation as you (arrows up means it's above you and vice versa). The radar will change to a blue circle when you're at the hotspot.

[quote name='menikmati']There's a pretty unique audio cue when you're in close proximity to the scavenging hotspot. Bring up the radar every once in a while and look for the arrows on the side to point inwards which means that it's on the same level/elevation as you (arrows up means it's above you and vice versa). The radar will change to a blue circle when you're at the hotspot.[/QUOTE]

Blue circle! That's what I needed to know. I'll keep an eye out, man. Thanks.

[quote name='ActionKazimer']Blue circle! That's what I needed to know. I'll keep an eye out, man. Thanks.[/QUOTE]

It's more of like a hectic, static-filled blue circle but you'll definitely know it when you see it. You also don't have to be in the hotspot to deploy it but you maximize your resource collection when you do.

Small thing to complain about, but it seems kinda crazy that they still don't let you skip cutscenes, even in NG+ modes. I want to go through the 3 NG+ modes, but I really dont know if I want to sit through all those cutscenes again.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Loving this game so far. Do the suits not have different armor stats or special bonuses anymore? It seems like they're purely cosmetic.[/QUOTE]
I just logged on to ask this I don't see any difference which is cool. I'm gonna use the N7 suit.

And the yes the inability to skip cutscenes is just fucking dumb.

I made a line gun and a force gun in one. Pretty awesome shit. Also got an overpowered plasma cutter for playing DS 2

I'm using an Evangelizer carbine+Negotiator line gun w/ Scope and Electric Charge for mid- to long-range encounters, and an Earthgov 900 SMG+flamethrower w/ Stasis Coating for close quarters.

I'm embracing my inner Kurt Russel with a Wide Plasma Cutter/Flamethrower with Acid rounds and damage boost in one slot (and fur collar, of course.)
A Carbine/Shotgun combo with Stasis Rounds and stasis amp in the second.

I'm actually really enjoying experimenting with a lot of the weapon configs. I didn't think electric bolas were gonna be half as fun as they are. The 2-hand Plasma Engine with a Compressor tip is pretty nuts too, just takes a little longer to rev up than I like.

Think I'm up to chapter 13. Maybe 12, I dunno. Spent a looong time on side missions around 11. Loving how much there is to do in this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ooh, I haven't tried the bolas yet. I just built the Mjolnir which is a Tesla gun that supposedly arcs the shot between multiple enemies. I want to try it out but I can't decide which of my current attachments I can live without. :lol:

Where did you find acid rounds attachment? I haven't found any and I don't think I have the option to construct it. I'm on like Chapter 10 I think, right after the disc change.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Where did you find acid rounds attachment? I haven't found any and I don't think I have the option to construct it. I'm on like Chapter 10 I think, right after the disc change.[/QUOTE]

If I didn't have Acid Bath by chapter 10, I definitely got it shortly after. If nothing else, I remember finding a dupe of it in a sidequest in Chapter 11. No real spoiler, just being careful.
It's either for doing the Supply depot or Armory sidequests.

Speaking of sidequests, I was a little upset to find that the game doesn't save checkpoints during sidequests. I was doing the
Conning Tower
one, got almost to the end of it and had to save and quit. Resumed later to find my inventory intact but my progress reset to before the quest began. So, heads up everybody.

I seriously love this game though. I think I prefer it to 2.

Another heads up, I've read that the Planet Cracker weapon is glitched-- if you remove the rotator cuff attachment, you won't be able to put it back together even though the cuff shows up in your inventory.

Also, anyone spotted a video of the scavenger bot personality DLC?

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Another heads up, I've read that the Planet Cracker weapon is glitched-- if you remove the rotator cuff attachment, you won't be able to put it back together even though the cuff shows up in your inventory.

Also, anyone spotted a video of the scavenger bot personality DLC?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that glitch totally got me right out of the gates. I figured I was just missing something.

No vid of the Personality Pack that I can find yet. I've heard some people say it's pretty funny, but I'm hard-pressed to trust it.

Only thing that bothers me is save and quit doesn't leave you where you left off but totally at the beginning of the level.

[quote name='GUNNM']Only thing that bothers me is save and quit doesn't leave you where you left off but totally at the beginning of the level.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it's kind of annoying. You have to make sure you see the auto saving progress thing in the upper right corner come up...otherwise you'll be starting a ways back

Just beat it. Curious to see what you guys think. I thought it was fucking fantastic, and a great addition to the series. I'll have to give co-op a shot this weekend.

Some...interesting elements, story-wise, but I'll save that.

Chapter 15. I'm at the point now where I've gone over the resource hill. I have all of the suit upgrades and my weapons are about as upgraded as they're going to get, so I have nothing to spend them on anymore.

Is my math wrong or are the 30 Ration Seal resource packs a better deal than the 60 Seal packs? With a 60 Seal pack you have a 50% chance to get 2 parts and a 50% chance to get 3. But with two 30 Seal packs you have a 25% chance to get 2 parts, a 50% chance to get 3 parts, and a 25% chance to get 4 parts.

I'm not sure where to ask this - I need a Co-Op partner to help me with Chapter 14's Marker Containment (Co-Op). I was randomly matched with a person and we got all the way to the end and they left. So...that didn't work out for me. Anyhow, if interested, just PM me. I'm in EST, though could probably play most anytime this weekend.

[quote name='gotdott']
wish this was free[/QUOTE]

Oh man, I'm so glad that thing's optional. I would have never used those poor bots again.

Game just arrived on my doorstep (I was a typical Cheapass and paid for 5-8 day shipping from Amazon). Those who ordered Amazon, have you gotten your $20 credit/Amazon exclusive pre-order email yet?

[quote name='ActionKazimer']Just beat it. Curious to see what you guys think. I thought it was fucking fantastic, and a great addition to the series. I'll have to give co-op a shot this weekend.

Some...interesting elements, story-wise, but I'll save that.[/QUOTE]

Yep.
As final bosses go, THE MOON was... an interesting choice. :lol: They really had me going with Ellie, I thought she was dead for sure. Mostly because it took me so many tries to finally pass that section, I saw that gas burn Isaac up like five times. When you first heard her voice over the comm after that, I thought that maybe when you finally saw her she was going to be all scarred and burned up. It actually felt like kind of a cop-out that she survived the game with only a couple of scratches. Should have lost another eye, at least. :D

I hope Isaac doesn't return as the hero of Dead Space 4. Not because I don't like him, but just because the guy deserves a goddamn break. Go hide on a beach somewhere and let someone else go through hell next time.

Aside from
Chapter 18 kind of dragging
, I loved the game. The weapon crafting turned out to be awesome. I'd say this game at least rivals 2 and possibly surpasses it in some areas. I still think 1 is the best game in the series though.

Forgot to add,
the worst part of the game was Norton. Lazy and obnoxious writing. It wasn't enough that he was Isaac's romantic rival, they had to make him a completely horrible person in every way possible. The whole love triangle thing was pretty pointless anyway.

I need some tips for chapter 5.
I'm at a part where there's an alien attached to the wall and he keeps summoning "face-hungers". I always run out of ammo at this spot. Is there anyway to kill him?

[quote name='jman2avatar']I need some tips for chapter 5.
I'm at a part where there's an alien attached to the wall and he keeps summoning "face-hungers". I always run out of ammo at this spot. Is there anyway to kill him?
[/QUOTE]
If you're talking about the necromorph I think you're talking about just shoot the 4 tentacles that pops out of its stomach

Looks like you can carry DLC weapons into Classic Mode. Seems like it kind of defeats the purpose, but it should make it a lot easier.

If anyone wants to knock out the co-op missions, hit me up.

How do you access the co op missions? I'll be down to play in a couple of days if you don't have a partner before I get my online pass from gamefly.

The co-op missions are in Chapters 4, 11, and 14. I'm not sure if there's a way to skip directly to the start of the sidequests, or if the chapter select can only take you to the beginning of each chapter and you just have to play through it to get the sidequest.

Damn, I was trying the infinite resource farming....and my Xbox freezes like 20 minutes into it - right after i found a crapload of tungsten. =[

[quote name='krashhole']Loving this game. I was hoping to finish it before Colonial Marines comes out, but that ain't gonna happen.[/QUOTE]
From what I've seen of CM you're gonna be coming back to dead space pretty quickly.

[quote name='GUNNM']From what I've seen of CM you're gonna be coming back to dead space pretty quickly.[/QUOTE]At the rate I actually get to play games nowadays, I really don't need another one. My 2 sons will take up my slack though lol.

[quote name='Pookymeister']Damn, I was trying the infinite resource farming....and my Xbox freezes like 20 minutes into it - right after i found a crapload of tungsten. =[[/QUOTE]

Depending on the difficulty, you don't really need to farm, but if you want to farm like a pro with less user input do this: Go to the weapon testing area, release your scavenger bots, come back in 10 minutes and they'll have a disproportionate amount of ration seals (2 bots got me ~13-15 a trip), use that to buy the 30 ration seal pack and repeat/enjoy.

I got my online pass today ryu if you wanna play invite me. I gotta find something to hold my wireless mic up around my ear my dog bit my mic the other day. :(

[quote name='panda911']Depending on the difficulty, you don't really need to farm, but if you want to farm like a pro with less user input do this: Go to the weapon testing area, release your scavenger bots, come back in 10 minutes and they'll have a disproportionate amount of ration seals (2 bots got me ~13-15 a trip), use that to buy the 30 ration seal pack and repeat/enjoy.[/QUOTE]

Yea, i decided it was a waste of time since playing on normal wasnt hard. I haven't even really experimented with weapon creation - I'm only really using one of the LE guns they give you (forget the name, whatever one has semi-automatic/shotgun)

Finished the game co-op.

Co-Op was a blast, very well implemtned.
Crafing weapons was a nice touch.

The game was good, not DS1 or DS2 level but still good. Biggest disappointing things for me was lack of scares followed by the story. Everything else is minor/can be looked over, at least for me.

I think it took us 14 hours on HARD but we were SLOW and explored EVERYTHING (or at least we thought we did, missed a few collectables) and did every side/optional mission.

Worth the admission for dead space fans. If you haven't played the first two I would go through them first.

Yeah, I clocked in at 19 my first time through. Just wrapped up Pure Survival at about 12. Got pretty tight in those final chapters.

Despite throughly enjoying playing through Hardcore in DS2, I am not looking forward to it this time around. So many stupid ways to die. Most of them seemingly piled up near the end.

[quote name='ActionKazimer']Yeah, I clocked in at 19 my first time through. Just wrapped up Pure Survival at about 12. Got pretty tight in those final chapters.

Despite throughly enjoying playing through Hardcore in DS2, I am not looking forward to it this time around. So many stupid ways to die. Most of them seemingly piled up near the end.[/QUOTE]
Because of the way they changed the mechanics around (permadeath, but you ARE allowed to save and quit), you can totally cheat it by backing up your save to a USB stick.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Because of the way they changed the mechanics around (permadeath, but you ARE allowed to save and quit), you can totally cheat it by backing up your save to a USB stick.[/QUOTE]

I hate to think about it, but unless certain deaths suddenly stop feeling random on a future playthrough, I might just take the hit to my dignity and deal with it.

Prolly gonna test the PSN waters with some co-op today since I'm a PS3 pariah. Maybe I'll get lucky and find some decent partners. Anyone know if you get to choose whether you'll play as Isaac or Carver?

For anyone who's beaten the game:

Anyone else a little bothered that it was just Mass Effect? Necros building a Reaper moon out of each harvested race had everyone in my living room just kinda squinting at each other. Isaac's flashback after reassembling Rosetta was pretty much touching a Prothean beacon. Unearthing the last race to fall victim on their home planet; there were just a ton of parallels.

I should backpedal. For whatever reason, I wasn't actually super bothered by it, but that might just be my supernatural love for the franchise. I might be an apologist. Or indoctrinated...by a Marker. I dunno. Maybe something in co-op will flesh things out for me. All I know is that I was the only one in the room grinning like an idiot at the end of the game. I still loved it.

[quote name='ActionKazimer']For anyone who's beaten the game:

Anyone else a little bothered that it was just Mass Effect? Necros building a Reaper moon out of each harvested race had everyone in my living room just kinda squinting at each other. Isaac's flashback after reassembling Rosetta was pretty much touching a Prothean beacon. Unearthing the last race to fall victim on their home planet; there were just a ton of parallels.

I should backpedal. For whatever reason, I wasn't actually super bothered by it, but that might just be my supernatural love for the franchise. I might be an apologist. Or indoctrinated...by a Marker. I dunno. Maybe something in co-op will flesh things out for me.
[/QUOTE]

Wow, that hadn't occurred to me but there are a lot of parallels there.

I'm a little unclear on how the whole moon thing worked. They said something about how there was a moon in each galaxy that had cleared that galaxy of life, and that the alien machine was preventing ours from networking with the others. But so what though? It seems to have been doing a pretty good job of exterminating humanity already, even with being partially disabled by the alien machine. So if the machine was disabled, it would be able to call its buddy moons to come help and just kill us a little faster?

Also who buried the Black Marker on Earth in the first place? Did the moon do that?

So gonna start it this week and was wondering how long it's taken you guys to beat it. It's not a short game is it. I'm glad everyone is enjoying it as this series is one of my all time favorites.

EDIT: Just read what some said above me on times. I'm glad it takes awhile.

[quote name='ActionKazimer']I hate to think about it, but unless certain deaths suddenly stop feeling random on a future playthrough, I might just take the hit to my dignity and deal with it.

Prolly gonna test the PSN waters with some co-op today since I'm a PS3 pariah. Maybe I'll get lucky and find some decent partners. Anyone know if you get to choose whether you'll play as Isaac or Carver?

For anyone who's beaten the game:

I should backpedal. For whatever reason, I wasn't actually super bothered by it, but that might just be my supernatural love for the franchise. I might be an apologist. Or indoctrinated...by a Marker. I dunno. Maybe something in co-op will flesh things out for me. All I know is that I was the only one in the room grinning like an idiot at the end of the game. I still loved it.
[/QUOTE]
Not only did it parallel ME you even got to wear a ME armor in the game and Isaac and Sheppard both falling into rubble after defeating their enemy and then at the end of the game they both signal their alive.

bread's done
Back